PDA

View Full Version : What They Play

Tussell
02-01-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.whattheyplay.com/

"The videogame guide for parents"

The site is currently in its 'beta' stage. It's a site where parents can discuss and agree upon ages for certain games. Check it out, sign up, and vote on the ages. I signed up, obviously not a parent, just so I could give my honest opinion. It's actually a pretty site, and so far I haven't come across anyone that has made me want to kill anyone of importance.

Kaner99999
02-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Cool i'll give this a look!

Otisbum
02-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Not sure if that would be advertising or not, but whatever.

What did you put for number of children in household, 0, or how many children your parents have (if you currently live with them)?

Tussell
02-02-2008, 12:12 AM
From knowing me around the site, do I look like I'd get anything out of showing people the site?

I saw it on the news earlier today and thought it might be useful to some parents out there. I know we have a few members who are indeed parents.

Otisbum
02-02-2008, 12:16 AM
From knowing me around the site, do I look like I'd get anything out of showing people the site?

I saw it on the news earlier today and thought it might be useful to some parents out there. I know we have a few members who are indeed parents. Of course not. :p
My apologies.

It looks great at first glance, I'll get my mom to look through it so she doesn't feel so out of touch with my games.

Shinobi273
02-02-2008, 12:18 AM
The games that I checked on there were really well reviewed based on the content of the games. I wanted to see what they said for the GoW game but they didn't have it. I would rate that one at like 21 years old or something high, so much graphic violence... It is a good site that should get more support.

Tussell
02-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Like I said, I know I'm not a parent, but I've already written a review about Halo 3. It's not an actual game review... Anywho, I'll throw it up to show you guys if you're interested.

Don't Blame Xbox Live
The game itself says it is rated 'M' for the following reasons. 1) Blood and Gore. 2) Mild Language. 3) Violence. It seems like many parents are blaming the games online community. Obviously you can't expect people to follow 'Mild Language' online. The game itself is surely overrated in terms of its ESRB rating. The blood and gore is that of alien blood for the majority of the game. Rarely do people bleed purple or green. That leads me into the 'realism' factor. Though I completely disagree with what parents say about Grand Theft Auto, I do understand that it is based on realistic scenarios. Halo has never been something that is realistic. It's a sci-fi action game. It doesn't teach children bad morals, it doesn't advocate any drug/alcohol use, and it's not sexually explicit. The online play is a different story. No doubt the online community would be bad on an online 'Pirates of the Carribean' game, but would that make the game itself bad for kids to play? No! It's not the developers fault that people act rude while using their product. In conclusion the game itself isn't anything terribly bad for any aged child. If the kid can hold the controller, enjoys the gameplay, and can play the game, there's no reason for him to not indulge in the epic game that is Halo 3. On the other hand, the online community can be vicious. Make sure you're aware that people are rude, racist, sexist, and outright obnoxious.

Otisbum
02-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Great job with that, I agree completely.

Do they have a section for XBLA games? I'm curious to see what they say about Uno. I'll check.
EDIT: Nope, they don't have it.

Tussell
02-02-2008, 01:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they add it. Like I said I believe it's pretty new, I just heard about it today on the news.

Marx0r
02-02-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm loving how, so far, GTA is the only M-rated game I found actually rated 17 years. The ESRB system is so overdone it's not funny. I'm really wishing this site was around when I was a kid..

Tussell
02-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm loving how, so far, GTA is the only M-rated game I found actually rated 17 years. The ESRB system is so overdone it's not funny. I'm really wishing this site was around when I was a kid..
I'll try to get my point across without being 'cocky'.

The site, as it is right now, seems to be populated mostly by parents. Sadly, I see it being overrun by ignorant kids who say things along the lines of "LOL MY PARENTZ LET ME PLAI THIS GAYM! SCREW JAXXX THOMPSUN!!!THIS GAMEROXXXX!!111!!ONE!11!".

I feel as if I provided an accurate review on how the game plays out in terms of its rating. It may, eventually, become very innacurate, and that's what I fear.

drno
02-02-2008, 11:27 PM
The ratings seem a little skewed to me. It seems less like there is real thought being put into some ratings and more like people are voting what they really feel like.

A few ratings I found on the site.

Dead Rising-11 yr old
Even though dead rising doesn't encourage drugs or sex it does have quite a fair bit of violence. There seems to be enough (in my opinion) of violence, blood, and gore inside the game to permit a more... rough opinion than for 11 year olds. I mean the scene with Adam the clown was enough gore to permit most games an M rating as well as moves like disembowelment and using a sword that slices a zombie in half causing a geyser of blood seems to be of M rating.

Now that's not really my main beef with the site. Let's just compare a few games and see what games are more mature than others.

Dead Rising - 11
Marvel Ult Alliance -12
GoW -14
Orange Box -13
Halo 3 -13
Assasins Creed -12
Two Worlds -17
GH2 -12
GH3 -10
BioShock -15

These were really the only ones I looked at. It seems like the games are rated somewhat fairly and off of firsthand experience but really? Is MUA more violent than Dead Rising? Is Two Worlds worse than BioShock? Is Assassins Creed as bad as Guitar Hero 2.

The site seems to be of good intentions but it doesn't really seem like a prime resource.

Either way though. Doesn't really matter to me, kids can play whatever they feel what they're ready for. I don't even remember having games like BioShock when I was 15. I'm sure that the kids today have been around more mature content than kids around 10 years ago. So I can't really say what and what a 15 year old should and shouldn't be playing.

Tussell
02-02-2008, 11:31 PM
The games start out at their respected ratings given to them by ESRB. That being said, if the game isn't viewed on the page, it will keep that rating.