PDA

View Full Version : "Must Have" Titles

v_thorne
02-02-2008, 06:06 AM
I searched the forum for something like this and didn't find anything, hopefully I'm being somewhat original ;P

I thought this thread might seem like a good idea, seeing as I am always hesitant about what 360 game title I buy, not wanting to waste my money on crap. So it will probably be helpful to alot of others.

I know all of us have different tastes. But sometimes considering a game, and looking through that forum can be time consuming. So I figure if people post their favorite game(s), give appropriate reasons as to why it is good, and then move on, would be helpful in general.

I'll start.

Title: Assassian's Creed
Reason?: The overall gameplay style was well thought out and applied through out the game. The graphics are some of the best I've seen on the 360 and I really enjoyed the storyline.
Length: About a week to get all of the main achievements. Even longer if you consider getting all of the flags and templars, which can be done on the first run through. However, I enjoyed it enough to begin working on it in a second play through.
Why Buy over Rent? I found the replay on it pretty high, and I'll enjoy playing it again even after I've gotten all the achievements. Great storyline, great gameplay, great graphics. The AI isn't bad either ;)

It would also be helpful if there wasn't a lot of "negative" only posts. Feel free to state your opposing opinions, but please include a must have of your own =)

Marx0r
02-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Assassin's Creed is not a must-have. I don't understand how you can say it has replay. Worth a rent, but not $60.

Halo 3, COD4, and RB6V, you must own if you consider yourself a 360 player. I'd do it like you did, but I'm too tired. Perhaps tomorrow.

v_thorne
02-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Assassin's Creed is not a must-have. I don't understand how you can say it has replay. Worth a rent, but not $60.

Halo 3, COD4, and RB6V, you must own if you consider yourself a 360 player. I'd do it like you did, but I'm too tired. Perhaps tomorrow.

I have all 3 of those. The only one that doesn't sit collecting dust is CoD4.

Fonkey Monkey
02-02-2008, 06:57 AM
my take on assassin's creed is its not worth $60. i dont really recommend buying it, more of a double renter type of game. if you can beat a 50 hours game in a rent period, seriously go outside. but if you can get it for $30 or $40 then its worth it.

Title: Viva Pinata
Reason: Incredibly unique and addictive, every 360 owner needs this game. I think it has the most stunning artistic and visual graphics on the 360. Guaranteed you wont ever be bored of this game.
Why Buy over Rent: At any store the most its $20 because people would rather buy halo over something actually worthwhile. Just did a quick ebay search and the most was $12 shipped, so now you dont have an excuse to own this game.

DoM cAbAn
02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Title: Call of Duty 4
Reason: Amazing graphics. Awesome single player campaign. Pretty easy Achievements to unlock. Online is just outstanding. You'll be playing it for hours on end.
Why Buy Over Rent: Replay value in online multiplayer. Lots of different playlists to choose from. Really fun to play with friends. Definitely worth the $60.

puryear
02-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Halo 3, GoW, COD4, Mass Effect

INSANEKID13
02-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 just because i hope it is going to be better that COD4

daewezzy
02-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Title: The Orange Box
Reason: Five great games for the price of one. Portal is probably one of the best puzzle games I've ever played (great ending also). Team Fortress 2 is an intense and unique multiplayer game. 99 achievements across all 5 games will keep you busy for a while.
Why Buy Over Rent: Not enough time to enjoy each game.

Bax x360a
02-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Opinions will differ, so please don't diss other peoples suggestions. Halo 3 is by far a must-own title in MY opinion, and I suppose I call myself a "360 player" seeing I play the 360. Assassins is definitely a must own in my opinion. I'll write a few games in that original format when I have some time.

DevorianDevil
02-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Title: Crackdown
Reason: underappreciated game because of the whole halo 3 beta thing, fun game with over the top action, superpowers and transforming cars, story is basic but jumping from roof to roof while emptying your clip on everything that moves is great fun
Why buy over rent? if you wanne get all the achievements, especially the hidden orbs and agility orbs you're gonne need a lot of time to find them all

JesusBread
02-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Gears of War, Halo 3 and CoD4. Play all three of them currently and will continue to play all 3 of them.

Vista
02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Title Burnout Paradise
Reason Awesome online, Over 250 online challenges, open world racing and a huge community. Single player is phenomenal too, with a race at every intersection of the open world fun.
Why buy over rent? Amazing replay value, great achievements and fun no matter when you play it.

Augustus
02-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Title: Geometry Wars

Reason: A challenging, fast paced, modern take on some of the best games of generations past.

Length: Some will get all 200 in under 30 minutes while some could try their whole life and never complete it.

Reason to buy over try: It's five bucks and the best Xbox Live Arcade game, with Robotron.

o0EVIL0o x360a
02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Title: Dead Rising

Reason - Who wouldn't want to be dropped off at a mall with 72 hours to do whatever the hell you want?? Do the main story, skip it... rescue people, let them burn... confront the psycho's, forget they're there... it's a really fun sandbox game where you are not forced to do anything, but there's a lot of fun to be had.

Length - It can take a really long time to get all the acheivements. Each playthrough takes 6 hours of real time which isn't too much of a burden in fact.

Buy Reason - It will take a long time to get everything and fully experience the game. With PP stickers, Saint, and a slew of other time consuming achievements, you'll want to have this one on your shelf to work on. Plus months from now you can pop it back in and just slaughter some zombies for fun!!

Kazdan
02-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm shocked that no-one haven't said Oblivion yet.

Laufton_13
02-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm a bit to lazy to write in that format so I'll just list some Halo 3 (Don't kill me I think it's fun with friends), Mass Effect (Amazing game), Deadrising, Condemned, and of course the great, Oblivion my personal favorite so far on the 360.

As for arcade game: Puzzle Quest and Castlevania:SOTN

Alex56
02-04-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't see how assassin's creed has any replay value at all except conversationist and to reset flags. I would say mass effect , even though I haven't even beaten it yet, it's def. worth the 30$ i payed for it.

austin rules
02-04-2008, 12:58 AM
CoD4 and Halo 3

dark lord me
02-04-2008, 01:02 AM
In my opinion the "must have" games for the 360 are Halo 3 because of the good online and campaign Call of duty 4because of the good online and campaign ,Mass Effect the best story in a game i have seen in years and the game still has me playing it And last but not least Rock band because it is just an awesome game to play with you and frienmds

arsenal0119
02-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Title: Mass Effect
Reason: A rich story, massive galaxy, and very good action. Not Halo, but a very good shooter if you like to play tactially and with powers. All the side quests, achievements, and different dialouge will have you replaying this game.
Length: You can play the story through in about 6 hours, but if you're like me and do everything possible, expect a 20 hour playthough. If you don't get bored of this game, you'll be going for 100+ hours for the achievements doing everything you can (not a bad thing for a good game).
Buy Reason: Mainly if you rent, you probably will not have enough to play to your heart's content. You'll will be in the middle of you're first or second playthrough when you have to return this.

fletcher2989
02-04-2008, 01:35 AM

you forgot gears of war and oblivion, both absolutely amazing games...actually, halo 3 isnt a must own, in my oppinion its a completely different FPS because of the beat down system which is extremely flawed....

arsenal0119
02-04-2008, 01:38 AM
you forgot gears of war and oblivion, both absolutely amazing games...actually, halo 3 isnt a must own, in my oppinion its a completely different FPS because of the beat down system which is extremely flawed....

then write something for it, and i agree with you for halo. while halo is good, it isnt revolutionary or new like everything else

Laufton_13
02-04-2008, 01:48 AM
then write something for it, and i agree with you for halo. while halo is good, it isnt revolutionary or new like everything else
Well you gotta admit forging and active replay is pretty cool and orginal

Infected Z
02-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Title: Bioshock
Reason?: Its one of the best FPS games ever, the gameplay is amazing, the graphics are stunning and its extremely addictive, once you start playing you wont want to stop.
Length: Can be done in a weekend easily, but for the more average gamer may take longer. Also the achievements are pretty fun!
Why Buy over Rent? Even if you don't replay it right away, you will want to come back to it sooner or later, its a must have in any collection.

run ita charlie
02-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Reason: A rich story, massive galaxy, and very good action. Not Halo, but a very good shooter if you like to play tactially and with powers. All the side quests, achievements, and different dialouge will have you replaying this game.
Length: You can play the story through in about 6 hours, but if you're like me and do everything possible, expect a 20 hour playthough. If you don't get bored of this game, you'll be going for 100+ hours for the achievements doing everything you can (not a bad thing for a good game).
Buy Reason: Mainly if you rent, you probably will not have enough to play to your heart's content. You'll will be in the middle of you're first or second playthrough when you have to return this.

well, i guess you saved me the trouble of typing up about mass effect :P

PerpetualHeaven
02-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Be prepared my fragile-minded peers because I have a nice hefty list :) Of course I'll have reasons so do not make haste and put thy list down :p

Title: Harry Potter OOTP
Reason?: Overall fantastic Harry Potter game. You have to be a true fan to really enjoy it. The musical score is incredible and the gameplay is addictive.
Length: Extremely short and there's some replay value in unlocking everything. Not a lot going on so there isn't a ton of replay.
Why Buy over Rent? Only buy if you're a Harry Potter fan. Other then that it's a rent. For me it's a must buy. I really enjoy the Harry Potter series and the whole experience grasps me. I found it highly addictive.

Title: Amped 3
Reason?: Really cheap and the only snowboarding title on the 360.
Length: Quick 1000 so not really long.
Why Buy over Rent? Again, one of those games where you need to be a fan. It isn't for everyone but I love snowboarding games. Been a huge fan since 1080 snowboarding for the 64 and ever since I've loved majority of the snowboarding games.

Title: Oblivion
Reason?: Man oh man where do I begin? To keep it short and concise: It drained over 200 hours of my life. Customization is absolutely insane, so many damn side missions, downloadable content to extend gameplay, etc.
Length: 25-30 hours for the full for the newbies. Can branch up to 60+ hours if you complete all the side missions and do the downloadable packs.
Why Buy over Rent? Well the sheer length of the game makes it a buy obviously. I love it.

Title: Gears of War
Reason?: Basically the best graphics on the 360 to date, hella fun co-op offline/online, and addicting online.
Length: Long enough.
Why Buy over Rent? The awesome online makes it a buy. So many still play it.

Reason?: Probably the best RPG on the console alongside Oblivion. Amazing story line! Awesome gameplay mechanics, especially the speech system.
Length: Fairly lengthy 1000 and a lot of replayability.
Why Buy over Rent? The sheer length and plot is why!

Title: Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Enchanted Arms, and Blue Dragon
Reason?: They're the only other RPGs on the console.
Length: Enchanted is a quick 1000 and finding all the Golems provides plenty of length. MUA is the same ordeal and with a downloadable pack can go so many ways. Blue Dragon is just super long.
Why Buy over Rent? Only for RPG fans should these be buys.

Bax x360a
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Harry Potter must buy? :p

Title: Gears of War
Reason?: Best game ever is the reason! The graphics, gameplay, dialogue and online play is all awesome and second to none.
Length: Probably 8 hours for the campaign, differs per difficulty level. And then of course the unlimited online, which kept me constantly entertained for 10 months straight.
Why Buy over Rent? For the online. Its so addictive!

Title: Bioshock
Reason?: The best single player experience going on the Xbox 360. The graphics and atmosphere are terrific, plus the story line will keep you hooked until the end.
Length: 15+ hours.
Why Buy over Rent? Its just one of those legendary games that needs to be in your collection. One to tell the grandchildren about!

Title: Burnout Paradise
Reason?: Intense racing, great graphics, amazing replayability value.
Length: 50+ hours for the full 1000
Why Buy over Rent? So many modes and replayability, the online is awesome aswell.

Title: Call of Duty 4
Reason?: Probably the best graphics on the 360, aswell as undoubtebly the best online play. It will keep you entertained for a very long time!
Length: Short campaign, but an endless multiplayer experience.
Why Buy over Rent? So you can play the online aspect whenever you feel like it; which will be most of the time!

slunse
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Condemned :)

v_thorne
02-04-2008, 09:26 PM
See? this thread has already given me a reason to decide to buy Mass Effect :p

fletcher2989
02-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't see how assassin's creed has any replay value at all except conversationist and to reset flags. I would say mass effect , even though I haven't even beaten it yet, it's def. worth the 30$ i payed for it.

You payed $30 for mass effect?

JesusBread
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Small Arms is a must have for any Super Smash Bros. fan. Although it may seem like a total rip-off of Smash Bros. it isn't. It has a lot of similarities, but the game is presented in its own way.

HMSFlame22
02-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Title: Forza Motorsport 2
Reason: The best racing simulation game out right now. Over 300 cars to choose from and other cars and tracks to download. You can customize your car in so many ways and the auction house is sweet to go get some cars under their regular value.
Why Buy over Rent?: Such a long game and so many cars to collect and races to complete. It will take much longer than a rental to complete.

Kaner99999
02-11-2008, 08:49 AM
TITLE: Halo 3

REASON: Although the single player is quite short the replay value is brilliant as well as being able to play it with 3 other people. The online multiplayer is were this game shines with tons of game modes and being able to create your own map!

LENGTH: The single player is quite short unless you do it on one of the higher difficulty levels. And the online achievements are great so you will not be getting 100% in the game quick!

WHY BUY OVER RENT?: Halo was a great game from the start and now the game has come to Next-Gen it is amazing and it is a must buy for any 360 owner!

watsupyo
02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Title Orange Box
Reason Amaingly Awesome game it doesnt get old half life 2 even if youve beaten it before is a long and wicked fun game and the 2 expansions are awesome too but throw in portal and team fortress 2 (in my opinion the best online game i can think of) and this is a must have game and deffinetely worth the money
Why buy over rent? its soo long you wont be able to beat 3 half lifes and portal all in 1 rents time portal maybe but not all of em + team fortress 2 is deffinetaly a keeper

Royle
02-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Title: Guitar Hero III
Reason: It is the greatest game ever you will be kept busy for hours. At first the achievements seem really hard but once you get going they start flying at you.
Why Buy Over Rent: I don't think they rent the guitar I don't know personally but you need like 200 hours to enjoy this game.

Lord of Fate
02-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (when it comes out)
Halo 3
Gears of War
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Grand Theft Auto IV (when it comes out)
Call of Duty 4 (still haven't played it yet but everyone plays it all the time so it's gotta be super-awesome scrumptious-like)

Kal The SJ
02-14-2008, 05:22 AM
COD4 amazing game

watsupyo
02-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (when it comes out)
Halo 3
Gears of War
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Grand Theft Auto IV (when it comes out)
Call of Duty 4 (still haven't played it yet but everyone plays it all the time so it's gotta be super-awesome scrumptious-like)

no offense or anything but how can you rate a game as good if it hasnt come out yet now its prolly true that they'll be great but theres always the fact that someone might just screw it up

v_thorne
02-15-2008, 01:11 AM
no offense or anything but how can you rate a game as good if it hasnt come out yet now its prolly true that they'll be great but theres always the fact that someone might just screw it up

I agree. I hate it when people rate a game before it's even hit the shelf just because the first one or two were good.
Sure, they'll probably be good but there is no guarantee, and also under rated games that sucked the first time around sometimes spawn another title and those end up being good, despite the first.

gatorbait
02-15-2008, 01:16 AM
I like this idea but at the same time it's just subject to opinion so "must have" means something to everyone. I do like the idea though with how short the information for the games is. It gives you a quick take on a game if you don't feel like reading a whole review. I think the reviews on this site do a great job though, if only we could get more of them.

A Polish Panda
02-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Title: Saints Row
Reason?: This game has great graphics, a great story-line which will be continued in Saints Row 2. The crashes and ragdoll are hella fun. It's a really fun gangster type 3rd person shooter where you can take the gang fights online and play som great gametypes.
Length: A few weeks to months. The main achievements are pretty fun and easy, the only finding achievement is for just 60 CDS. The online achievements will take you a little longer, but obviously I can not tell you how log they will take, it depends on how good you are.
Why Buy over Rent? I loved replaying it because every mission you will take a different approach, and I'll enjoy playing it again even after I've gotten all the achievements. Great storyline, great gameplay, great graphics.
The AI is not impossible to kill and it is an over all GTA type game, but better!

antnie
02-15-2008, 01:23 AM

Halo 3, COD4, and RB6V, you must own if you consider yourself a 360 player. I'd do it like you did, but I'm too tired. Perhaps tomorrow. Nothin against you marxor but rainbow 6 vegas suck so bad. By far the worst tom clancey game that i have ever played. Back on topic.
Bioshock is great
gears of war is super great
that is all that i can think of right now i need to look through my games. I am soon going to buy assassians creed(tonight) to see how it is.

Fly
02-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Mass Effect all the way, great story, great graphics...everything's great. It has few minor bugs tho but it doesn't affect the gameplay too much. I'm playing it the second time through now and doesn't bore me. Thinking of making a third character aswell which will be a female just to hear bastilas voice again.

v_thorne
02-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Nothin against you marxor but rainbow 6 vegas suck so bad. By far the worst tom clancey game that i have ever played. Back on topic.
Bioshock is great
gears of war is super great
that is all that i can think of right now i need to look through my games. I am soon going to buy assassians creed(tonight) to see how it is.

I hated Rainbow 6 Vegas as well. Glad someone agrees.

speedchudy
02-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I personally was a bit disappointed in Assassin's Creed. All that hype about the game. I didn't want to play it again. The main missions a great, but you can kill those guys and run off without Intel help. The side missions are fun, but get really repetitive. Every town you went into, it was the same thing.