PDA

View Full Version : Achievement Tips

Blackjaw x
02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Note: I myself am not entirely sure on this idea, so give your feedback to help me decide whether I even like it or not.

I was just thinking that in conjunction with the other feedback thread about the unsatisfactory achievement guides, there could be a new feature added.

When you click on a game from the list, a new heading could be added called Tips, or User Tips.
This would be a place for users to post their tips and methods for each achievement, perhaps how they obtained it if normally confusing.
There could be a rating system so tips could be sent to the top or bottom of the pile depending on quality.

I think with proper management, this would be a more effective and easily accessible method of getting help, rather than searching through countless threads on the forum.
I bet a large portion of people who use this site don't even use the forums and rely solely on the achievement guides which aren't always enough.
It also allows people who weren't around to write an achievement guide have their say, or voice their objections with the current guide.

Of course it would take considerable effort to ensure that only quality tips are posted, I think the ratings system will help.
If possible, tips at the bottom of the list could be automatically removed, leaving only the top few visible.

If you need me to clarify anything about this idea just ask, and feel free to tell me it sucks because it just might. :)

Otisbum
02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
They could always submit their own guide and see if it makes it.

I see what you're suggesting, but if someone really needs help on an achievement and find that the guide isn't helpful, they should go to the forum.

I also understand completely that most people rely solely on guides and don't visit the forums, so maybe there could at least be a link at the top of the guide page that says something along the lines of "Are these tips not helpful? Get some help here." with a link to the game's forum or FAQ thread.

zdarko43
02-05-2008, 12:04 AM
I see where your idea is here. I sort of like it, but kind of don't at the same time.
A good basis for another idea to run with, however...

How about a community feedback rating sytem on the achievement guides?

Just like a poll you would take normally, except the poll would be a rating system from 1-10, how helpful was this particular achievement guide for you?

This way, we can see a general feedback of the persons submitted and approved guide, and whether or not it could use some major improvments ;)

AlphaXGamerXDad
02-05-2008, 12:32 AM
A good basis for another idea to run with, however...
How about a community feedback rating sytem on the achievement guides?
Just like a poll you would take normally, except the poll would be a rating system from 1-10, how helpful was this particular achievement guide for you?
This way, we can see a general feedback of the persons submitted and approved guide, and whether or not it could use some major improvments ;)

This is a great idea, because as great as this site is, the guides could use a little work. My favorite was for a racing game achievement. The guide stated that if you do the prep perfect, then the launch perfect, as well as every shift perfect, then you should get the achievement. Now I'm pretty sure that even the most ignorant member of this site knows that if you do everything for the achievement perfectly, that you'll unlock it. Common sense. To add to the idea, I think the guides should be written 1 achievement at a time, so a game with 50 achievements could possibly have a guide with 50 authors. Along with the ratings, this could ensure that almost every guide is 100% helpful(and not just for forum awards)

razzleson
02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Well, the idea has good intentions but it's more work than it's worth. We'd have to have a team dedicated to this, all while all the user would have to do is go to the game's forum and look around.

The forums have guides, FAQs, random discussion.

Blackjaw x
02-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Well, the idea has good intentions but it's more work than it's worth. We'd have to have a team dedicated to this, all while all the user would have to do is go to the game's forum and look around.

The forums have guides, FAQs, random discussion.

Alright that was the answer I was expecting and definitely think is the right one.
I agree with you, I just threw up the idea for shits and giggles but perhaps a new idea could come out of this that would be of use.

razzleson
02-05-2008, 02:14 AM
Alright that was the answer I was expecting and definitely think is the right one.
I agree with you, I just threw up the idea for shits and giggles but perhaps a new idea could come out of this that would be of use.
And don't be scared away by being turned down. You guys have no idea how many times I've been shot down by the admins.

Keep those ideas coming! Worst that'll happen is we'll say no :p

The Pants Party
02-05-2008, 08:11 AM
The thing is, the guide team was created for this reason. In theory, we'll try to add multiple versions of how to get an achievement into the guide from an author's original version. If someone thinks of a different way that is feasible (meaning they didn't do some wacky-ass shit that no one else would find easier), then submit it or let one of the guide team know and we'll see about getting it added.

Blackjaw x
02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
If someone thinks of a different way that is feasible (meaning they didn't do some wacky-ass shit that no one else would find easier), then submit it or let one of the guide team know and we'll see about getting it added.

Alright so maybe a stickied thread could be made in the 'Submit' forum, where people could do this more easily.
And there could be a link on a game's page (either under achievements or under guide) to that thread, so it would be used frequently.
Everyone could submit their non wacky-ass shit in that thread.