PDA

View Full Version : Idea For Member Profile Forum

drno
02-05-2008, 02:52 AM
After JDM posted his "No Copy/Pasting" (http://xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53686) I got into a little mini discussion with him. My thoughts went something like this...

The member profile forum is really just a lot of spam posts for the most part. In my opinion posts should not count unless they were the OP (since getting your first post count is epic.)

Really the only reason I don't post inside the member profile forum is that I don't want to raise my post count in such a manner. Of course having 6 or 7 people post a simple greeting makes members feel much more welcome.

Without the incentive of raising a post count I would predict that less members would post inside of the greetings. So it's a double sided sword if you did choose to remove post count for the member profile forum.

I checked though and there are 74 pages on the member forum.
74 X 20=1480 and then since the last page only has 17 intros that makes it 1477 total number of member introductions (and that is counting the few members that post on their 1000/10000 post.)

Since x360a has a total of 50,000 members or so
1477/50,000 = 2.954%

Since not everyone is instantly going to not join the site just because they are not getting 6 posts in their introduction, I don't anticipate a massive loss in members joining.

Hopefully members will still post inside the member profile even though they don't get the free posts. Tons of people still post inside the top 5 forum so it seems like the same could be said of the member profile forum.

Besides, as long as you kept the whole "post count doesn't go up when posting in member forums" hush-hush people who are new to the site would likely not realize it. And old members would hopefully still want to spread good will to the rest of the site. I know old members that still don't realize that the top 5 doesn't make your post count go up.

Hell I've got an idea. Why not add a new award for greeting new members. Give it to members that not only greet lots of members, but actually make informative/nice/thoughtful posts for the new members to see. I know that I personally care a hell of a lot more about an award over post count.

Since I don't have an executive decision feel free to disregard my idea.

Marx0r
02-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Since I don't have an executive decision feel free to disregard my idea.

Done.

Anyway, I think you're on to something. I rarely post there, not because of post count, but because I rarely have anything to say. Half of all the intros are just "hi! add me", and the ones that are in-depth, I sometimes reply to. People like Dom caban who hang around the intro forums won't care about post count and the people with small counts... I always wondered what a 30-poster is doing welcoming a 4-poster to the site.

razzleson
02-05-2008, 03:38 AM
I actually like the idea. IMO the same goes for the garage sale forum. People abuse those two SO much for post counts.

This one will have to come down to Routine, Minty, Webb, or Krazie.

Minty
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
We have discussed this numerous times. While we do get some spammers that hit the board, it is important that new members get a few posts and start to build towards being part of the community and being able to be on leaderboards etc.

Mods are strict on this board- I know that if I see one person that has replied to say 3 threads with the exact same thing, I then go through their entire post list and delete what I consider spam. Hence the number of members complaining about going from 95 to 10 posts overnight ;)

Jdm
02-05-2008, 09:02 AM
We have discussed this numerous times. While we do get some spammers that hit the board, it is important that new members get a few posts and start to build towards being part of the community and being able to be on leaderboards etc.

Mods are strict on this board- I know that if I see one person that has replied to say 3 threads with the exact same thing, I then go through their entire post list and delete what I consider spam. Hence the number of members complaining about going from 95 to 10 posts overnight ;)

I tried drno.

Minty has an excellent point and that is to actually get the New Members going on their Post Counts and getting involved with the site and community.

We are a strict bunch, but we're fair. I'm just like any other Staff Member. If I see 3 threads with the exact same thing, I will go through the member's entire post count and start checking off the spam posts.