PDA

View Full Version : Would you play a game where you killed your own countrymen?

fletcher2989
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
This discussion started in the Call of Duty 5 thread, so i thought i might as well bring it over here....well the main argument was that if there was a game that came out, ww2 era, where u were solely the Germans fighting the Americans and the British for the single player campaigns, and through the eyes of the game the Germans were the good side and the Americans/British were the bad side....i highly doubt that if this game did come out, that Americans and Europeans would not buy it because they would not want to play a game where they were killing their own countrymen....ur thoughts?

JD FTW
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
id buy it, after all its only a video game. it not going to turn me into a nazi is it?

vhayste
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't really mind since its just a game after all.

M85A21
02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Your a bit Patriotic aren't you.
I wouldn't care.
I mean, you have all played Grand Theft Auto surely?

JD FTW
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
i bet Jack Thompson wouldnt see iit that way lol

Soulfly Switch
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I would play it. Video games are an escape - if you can not seperate games and life...well games are not your cup of tea.

M85A21
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I mean take for example.
Grand Theft Auto IV.
You are playing a Russian in New York..And what do all GTA games have?
Mindless killing, hell the kill count in that game will probably exceed all of Ireland (3 Mill people).
And they are all going to be Americans, so your not buying GTA IV either I take it?

JD FTW
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
with GTA IV i reckon the kill count will be part of a achievement

GottiMafia
02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I would play it especially if its as awesome as CoD 4 was, we all have played a GTA or a Saints Row at one point or another

Segnius
02-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't think they would ever make a game like that, however, there are already tons of games out where you fight against people from your own country, and they don't bother me a bit. I played The Outfit, and I had no preference to whether I got put on Allies or Axis. I played that civil war game, where you get a choice to either fight against the northern or southern army. Then there's Ghost Recon, Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six, Counterstrike, Battlefield, and many more online shooters which allow you to play on a terrorist team. It's really no big deal to me. I suppose that if it was the situation you described though, where you play solely as the Germans in a WW2 setting, it would feel odd.

MrDudeMan
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't mind killing my own countrymen in a video game. After all, as others have stated, its just a game.

SoaringEagle
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
hmmm, i felt the same way in the 300 game for psp, but i didnt buy it because it was propaganda, like calling Persians barbarians and shit when we had schools and stuff in ancient times, we had gender equality, and they say we were tyrants , etc etc.
so if they are insulting and basically lying about the British i wouldn't like it.

as for gta, thats mindless killing, thats different than being told that the British or the Persians are evil

Steelhead
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
id buy it, after all its only a video game. it not going to turn me into a nazi is it?
Agreed. It's very easy for me to separate gaming from reality. I had no problem harvesting little sisters in Bioshock, and I'd have no qualms about killing my own countrymen in COD5. It's just a game.

fletcher2989
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
hahah im not super patriotic, and what im talking about is a war game, not a gta game where ur a gangster and ive played a ton of games where u kill americans, all im saying is that i dont think i would buy a game where im a nazi killings americans or brits.....and i know its just a game, i guess this a question more about ethics than video games

M85A21
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
hmmm, i felt the same way in the 300 game for psp, but i didnt buy it because it was propaganda, like calling Persians barbarians and shit when we had schools and stuff in ancient times, we had gender equality, and they say we were tyrants , etc etc.
so if they are insulting and basically lying about the British i wouldn't like it.

as for gta, thats mindless killing, thats different than being told that the British or the Persians are evil

That's a completely different subject matter.
This is just killing, not just propaganda crap.

J eVeRy DaY 514
02-07-2008, 05:41 PM
i wouldn't mind killing some fellow countrymen in real life.

only kidding, but its just a fictional game... and if its call of duty 5 - then fuck yes!

PnutButrSkippy
02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
they already made a game like that. its called The History Channel Civil War - A Nation Divided (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=393). At least if ur american then this game applies to you

Royle
02-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't mind since I won't turn German and start killing English people. It's only a game after all.

Tubson57
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
If you play video games and post on this forum, you are someone who likes to game it, no matter what you are killing and destroying. I would actually like to see something like this come out to see what angle the game would bring to the situation.
________
hotbox vaporizers (http://www.vaporshop.com/hotbox-vaporizer.html)

Augustus
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't have a problem with killing Americans.

That came out wrong.

Yoshi6107
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I really see no problem with "killing my own countrymen" in a video game, it is only a video game after all. The only way I would have a problem with it is if the game was not fun, hah.

Pez
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
What about all the Germans, Japanese and Italians and all the other citizens of the minor countries involved in WWII that play the CoD/MoH series, do you think they're bothered?

Seriously, it's just a game. I wouldn't mind killing a relative in the war virtually, I don't think many down-to-earth people would.

Sanction
02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
What would I be fighting for, exactly? If I had a just cause then I would, but if it was for no reason, then no...I wouldn't.

forspeedn21
02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't mind playing a game where you have to fight your own countrymen.
After all, like others have said, It's only a video game.

itsmeFAMOUS
02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I'll shoot anything

in a videogame

PhantomNemesis
02-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I'd definitely buy it, history is told by the winners, I wanna see it told by the losers. It'll be an interesting game to play as what we like to think of at the time as 'a bad guy'. Plus, they're just figments of someone's imagination, unless I was killing someone based on a person who did fight in the war, I wouldn't mind, it's just a game.

Moshambi
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I'd definitely buy it, history is told by the winners, I wanna see it told by the losers.

i think you have a pretty good point there. a video game could let us see the other perspective without any harm and i think it would be very fun if it was done right.

dark lord me
02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
i think you have a pretty good point there. a video game could let us see the other perspective without any harm and i think it would be very fun if it was done right.
The only game where you play as a Canadian is Cod 3 and i really wanted to kill those guys they were soooo annoying =P....but i have no prob with killing anyone weather it be Germans ( call of duty ) Terrorists (cod 4 r6v) Americans ( Gta 4 (will be getting )) ...there all just people it matters not where they're from at least to me
Edit: its just a game afterall

willcrazyiii
02-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Of course. How is it any different than playing multiplayer against Americans or British? It's just the same thing. Of course, if it's a bad game, that's a different story entirely...

SmallCheezFry
02-08-2008, 02:50 AM
and if its call of duty 5 - then fuck yes!

My thoughts exactly.

It's a video game meant for entertainment. IMO, if you feel offended by the subject of the game... don't buy it.

DocRevolt
02-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Yay Civil War?

goenitz96
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
It's just a game, you don't shoot countrymen but a sprite with an IA.;)

I think that if you don't play germans or japanese it's just because they lost the war. And a videogame is like a movie, the hero must be on the winning side. You prove it when you say that you won't buy the game if you play against americans, it's just marketing.

I think it would be interesting to view the story from the other side. I remember a manga, the cockpit by leiji matsumoto, where you see the war from the other side, very good.

G Big Mac
02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Its a game, I could really care less. Online on COD4 sometimes you play as the russians who kill the UNSC and SAS, so it'll be just like that but in campaign. As long as there is killing im up for it.

DeathWish93
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Americans play Saints Row even though you kill fellow citizens.
I think you have a point however, it would feel wierd for us to be thought of as the bad guys.

Frizzed
02-10-2008, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't care, but its not like they will put in any Aussies anyways!

KINGxSAINT
02-10-2008, 01:11 AM
I would not play as germans. In GTA its different its americans killing americans.

Kamaro
02-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't care, since there are a lot of games which involve killing Germans.
Like goenitz96 said, it's just marketing.

gskillz99
02-10-2008, 04:05 PM
i would play it. it would be cool playing in a different perspective.

gatorbait
02-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I think it would be a great take on WWII FPSs. We always get the same games just telling us what we already know. It would be very cool for a company to reverse it up and let us play as the Germans or any other power from the Axis. It would just be nice to have something new in a time where originality seems to lack.

zlionsfan
02-11-2008, 06:36 AM
It would just be a game to me no matter how it went, but you might get more of a reaction from some people if you had to play a countryman who turned on your own country than if you played as someone from another country.

aussie_warrior117
02-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Most Aussies are patriotic, I'm a gamer and a patriot, a rare breed :D
But I wouldn't care, as long as the game is good then I'll keep at it.

GalrenCreptus
02-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Hell yeah I'd buy it, it would be nice if they actually did a game like that, it gets old playing as the "good" guys all the time.

Dothis
02-11-2008, 08:03 AM
It doesn't bother me. I'm probably one of the only people that feel there is no bad taste, only bad games.

artvandel4y
02-11-2008, 08:05 AM
I think your country's soldiers/post apocalyptic rabble is what we're debating, because I and everyone else here seem to have no problem killing my country's gangbangers and cops, if the game is good at least. I'm still mourning those thugs from True Crime:NYC.
I would play as like a Vietcong or a Nazi, but not an Islamic Militant. Those guys are not warriors. You turn retarded women into suicide bombers, and well, it gets really complicated in their portrayal.
But if it's CoD 5, then death to America.

Ryot Control
02-11-2008, 08:18 AM
lol we should ask if Germans play COD games. Also, You kill Americans in COD4 if you're British or Russian.

Maybe if there was more of a moral inclination, I'd be more dissuaded. War games, no problem. Killing innocents? Not so hot on that. Killing co-workers? Only cause I can't do it in real life. :)

binny21000
02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
it wouldnt matter..its only a game. lol

BlaZiN cdn
02-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I think it's a great idea to have this, mainly because it's a chance to see and hear the German's point of view in the war, although it's a video game and might not be 100% accurate. But as for the 'killing your own countrymen' it's a video game, and I have no problem pulling the trigger and shooting someone in a video game.

Shinobi273
02-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Anyone friendly fire in Halo 3? The marines actually shoot back.

"What's wrong with the Chief?"
"He's gone crazy!"

ThaPrototype
02-11-2008, 10:13 PM
well since cod 5 is going to be back in the wwII era, that would be the only thing I think they could do to make it more fresh. Oh, and I'm half Japanese, I've been killing my own people in games for years. No big deal.

Watson bros
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't really be that bothered about killing fellow Brits, lucklily there aren't many games where you have to!
Personally i enjoy killing Americans.

Tasty Ace
02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
call of duty, then yeah i could deal with it for awesome gameplay (plus id beast online with the Brits)

but any other franchise......BLASPHEMY!!!

KayTw0
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd probably buy it because it would be interested, but would probably make me kind of angry in the end.

TheWings977
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
If it was sort of like GTA

ThrillKillBill
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm American....... therefore I don't care whom I kill :p:uzi:

Seriously though there is a huge difference between a game (in which case i'd kill anything) and real life (in which case i'd use my own set of morals to decide ) and I feel if your using a game as a catalyst to evaluate somebodies patriotism....... well i don't even have a term to express the childishness of such a endeavor. Get over yourself and let everybody else enjoy their own life as they would.

Evil_Snow_Man
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
There can be limits though. I wouldn't play a game where you're Hitler pushing jewish children into a pyre chamber...

x McGrim x
02-14-2008, 12:03 AM
You forgot Canadians. I'd buy it-but only if it was good.

run ita charlie
02-14-2008, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't mind playing an WWII game where i get to play an Jap or German soldier. Although, i think the story and gameplay (namely objectives) would be wierd. I think that if the game were to work out, the designers would have to create their own version of WWII where that side won, or something like that. Because it would be alittle wierd if your objectives where to destroy XX amount of defensive positions and then retreat...lol

Agent Earl
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
i dont see why and american game company would make a game where you kill americans and are a nazi. wouldnt make sense to me.

tmthomsen
02-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I live in Denmark, so that has never really crossed my mind. But I think it would actually feel pretty wierd. Especially since Danes adore their nation more than the average country.

But in the end, it would only be a game. And a game is a game is a game.

Tussell
02-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes, but sadly, the only interesting games would involve my team dying.

America FTW.

Evil_Snow_Man
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Yay Civil War?

I want Call of Duty 5: Cannons of Gettysburg

FPS Civil War game!!! With real musket load time! :woop:

Fragmeat666
02-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Before I started playing wartime shooters, I thought I could never play a game where I'd have to kill Americans. I'm actually pretty patriotic. However, after playing Battlefield: Vietnam, that really changed. Most people wanted to play as the Americans so I had to play Viet Cong just to balance out the teams. And it really didn't bother me one bit. Now, when I play video games I'm just focused on winning no matter which side I'm playing for :).

zOoz
02-16-2008, 01:34 PM
I believe in the next Brothers in Arms, you'll be fighting around the city Eindhoven unknown for most people but I lived there for quite some time. I can't wait for that game...;)
It would be weird playing a level where I'll be invading my own country but it would be interesting seeing it from the German side. So COD5 will have my blessings if they try.

PerpetualHeaven
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Ah muh gahd. If I ever hear another thing like this, I'm going to ruthlessly rip off every single persons head. 300... is a fictional graphical novel... okay... based very *loosely* on Battle of Thermopylae from Leonidas' perspective. Now, this is Frank Miller's version of that battle. It's historically inaccurate! He knows that, so why is it that none of us do? Okay yeah, the Persians in 300. They should just walk up to the spartans and say, "Oh hey, uhm... can you give us your land? Please?" If that was it, the book would have never launched and the movie would be bust. I would think the guys wearing leather underwear as battle armor gave away the historical inaccuracies.

And you know that the Persian's did have an empire right? Almost all empire's were basically ruthless and barbaric. That was their job! They want to take over the world. Just like Rome did. It's not like they stepped into war and said, "Oh hey guys just surrender and we won't kill you." No, it was... "*stab stab* take that! I want your land" And sure there were times where they asked others to surrender, but for the most part Empires were pretty barbaric bastards anyways because of their leaders who were power hungry psychos and wanted all the land for themselves.

Anyways, I've played plenty of games where I've killed my own people. Hell, anyone played Back to Baghdad? Yeah, that's the most stereotypical crap I've seen about Iraqi's and I'm IRAQI! But I still played it. I can't complain much. That's how things are made excited. Hell, I wish we could play as the Germans. I would be the first guy to pre-order. Wouldn't mind knocking out some Brits, Polacks, Americans, and Canadians for once. I think my German kill count is somewhere in the high thousands right now. Poor Germans. They need rest as well.

Nightdragon
02-16-2008, 02:26 PM
To be honest if you're playing a game where you kill people, I'd be surprised if you had the ethical right to say "But i don't wanna kill the brits" hehe.

Im fine with it :uzi:

SneakyEllis
02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
ya gta 4 ruins that lol

you kill everybody without feeling bad at all

Drewdude1023
02-18-2008, 05:31 PM
In games like Call Of Duty you are already killin ur own countrymen in MP if you are on the other team (assuming you are an american)

MapleMire
02-18-2008, 05:46 PM
i wouldnt care, its just a game, why would someone go crazy about killing your own country men

njdevils17
02-19-2008, 01:37 AM
In Battlestations: Midway you can play as the Japanese and kill Americans so I wouldn't have problem killing Americans in a video game.

artvandel4y
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
There have been plenty of games with multiplayer with axis and allies. But none with a Nazi campaign or Viet Cong campaign. That would be fresh

speedchudy
02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I guess we should ask the Germans if they played COD2 and 3. If the game was great, than I could play it.

Evil_Snow_Man
02-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I guess we should ask the Germans if they played COD2 and 3. If the game was great, than I could play it.

I want to know how many Alien Entities from the Covenate bought and play Halo...

Blackjaw x
02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
I want to know how many Alien Entities from the Covenate bought and play Halo...

Twelve.

And as for this topic, I would have nothing against it... not only because it's just a video game but also because I don't believe in patriotism and wish we didn't even have borders.

Evil_Snow_Man
02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Twelve.

But of those 12, how many know in the first game they were quoted saying they couldn't wait to get a food nipple to quench their big grunty thirst?

Jicholls
02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I mean take for example.
Grand Theft Auto IV.
Mindless killing, hell the kill count in that game will probably exceed all of Ireland (3 Mill people).
And they are all going to be Americans, so your not buying GTA IV either I take it?

First of all...

Population: 4,109,086 ...not 3mill

and secondly I would not care killing a fellow country man...in a game I mean ;)

Evil_Snow_Man
02-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Lets face it... some people need to be removed from the gene pool...

Blackjaw x
02-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Lets face it... some people need to be removed from the gene pool...

Namely Mr. Simmons.

MopFlop
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM
would think it would be great
so bored of killing germans/nazi/italians/terrorists in war games would be fun to play from there point of view

Chojin
02-22-2008, 09:16 AM
if i was an englishman playing against englishmen then it'd be fine. but if i was playing as a yank killing cockneys i don't think i could stomach it.

its rare to get good virtual renditions of the british people that i wouldn't want to play a game against them.

JoePie
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
They've yet to make a game involving killing the Irish.
Nothing about the Easter Rising, the IRA or any of our ridiculous revolutions.
The Irish battalions don't even get a mention in the Medal of Honour or Call of Duty series' games.

I'd probably kill them though.

StewyOmega
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I think i would buy it if the story line was good, to keep it compelling and hook you in. Then i think i would. Likesay you play as a Nazi and you kill the Allies and say graduly you think. "What the hell am i doing this for? Am I doing this for the right reasons?" say I dont know maybe he defects a bit, maybe starts working as a spy for the Allies and you can choose whether you can become a double agent or not.

Falcongale
02-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I think the Call of Duty series should stay out of the god damn WW2 scene, thats why I hated every other Call of Duty - even though the Infinity Ward ones were better than the Treyarch ones, it's already been announced that Treyarch are in charge of COD5 while Infinity Ward work on COD6.

You should be looking forward more to COD6 than to COD5... Treyarch are pathetic at making games.

Keep it out of WWII.

oO Hippie Oo
02-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd play it

themikewoo
02-27-2008, 08:00 PM
I would buy it. I don't really care which side I am on.

Vyper666
07-26-2008, 08:49 PM
I mean take for example.
Grand Theft Auto IV.

Theres actually 5 Million people in Ireland

Bleeding Star
07-26-2008, 09:01 PM
as long as it was a good game Id play it, doesnt really matter to me who Im killing whether its Locusts, Spartans, Germans, French, British

its only a game after all

knockton55
07-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Yeah, I definately agree with this.

In most games though, many games have americans vs americans, is this not killing your own countrymen?

But yeah, i'd buy it....it's only a game.

HitmanIV
07-26-2008, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with killing my own countrymen in a game,but if the stroyline was really bad about them then I may think twice.

Secret 5quirrel
07-26-2008, 11:03 PM
If its an fps ill kill anything i don't care what race/ gender/ nationality it is, its a game after all, its mean to be a release from reality

CAVALIERKINGL23
07-26-2008, 11:10 PM
I think it would be a great take on WWII FPSs. We always get the same games just telling us what we already know. It would be very cool for a company to reverse it up and let us play as the Germans or any other power from the Axis. It would just be nice to have something new in a time where originality seems to lack.
I agree completely. It would give us a different perspective of the war, and lots of new information. To learn to Nazi's motives and story would make a new, interesting expirience in a game. I would play it.

plumbpist
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Id have no problem with it, hell, I d welcome a game where you are a nazi killing Americans or Brits. At least it would be a fresh perspective on a tired genre...

XPL1C1T GAM3R
07-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes a games a game not real life

Innsomnni
07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Get frustrated by your countrymen during your time with them, divert your anger to the AI on an video game. No, i would not mind killing countrymen, im English and im not too proud, i would have prefurred to be Finnish :(

Taker447
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
it wouln't bother me as its only a game. but its like playing Red Alert and playing as the Russians against the USA and UK.

Tenacious
07-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm not the patriotic type, so yeah, I'd play it. It's just a game, anyway.

Peace
07-28-2008, 12:29 AM
There are tons of games where we could play from the other side of the fence, and I've played many of them... Red Baron on the PC is a good example... As far as playing a WWII game from the axis perspective, I have no problem with that, but I don't see how any perspective could make the axis powers the good guys!

sports_guy212
07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
wouldn't bother me, in COD 4 with multiplayer you end up playing against the marines which doesn't seem to bother many people...

Eternal
07-28-2008, 08:38 AM
It's just a game; I wouldn't mind.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
07-28-2008, 08:55 AM
ya if the game was good i would play it