PDA

View Full Version : Report Spam Button

J O 12 D
02-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Right, I had an idea since Pants recently made an announcement about people spamming the news section with idiotic comments such as 'First' and 'Looks good'. Announcement found here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55533)

Basically this idea would allow people, like you can on the Youtube comment section to report this as spam but since this could be abused by morons then it should be based on a certain amount of 'spam votes' to make it either become hidden or totally deleted.

I realise, this may have some flaws as groups of people that are generally assholes may join forces to try and get every post hidden but you can easily ban them! :)

Well, thank you for taking time to read my idea and I hope you realise this MAY solve the problem. ;)

ps. Just realised this was the 1,000th thread to be posted in the feedback forum. woohoo for me :)

Armstrong x360a
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Looks good!

but seriously, this wouldn't be a bad idea. Although it might be a bit harder to maintain than just infracting people that are seen spamming on a regular basis, especially if people abuse it like you mentioned. The spam posts may take up space but I don't actually spend any time reading them whereas if something that I'd actually like to read gets hidden because of some A-hole then that sorta sucks. What it really comes down to in my opinion is whatever is easier for the Mods and keeps the site the cleanest.

J O 12 D
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Looks good!

but seriously, this wouldn't be a bad idea. Although it might be a bit harder to maintain than just infracting people that are seen spamming on a regular basis, especially if people abuse it like you mentioned. The spam posts may take up space but I don't actually spend any time reading them whereas if something that I'd actually like to read gets hidden because of some A-hole then that sorta sucks. What it really comes down to in my opinion is whatever is easier for the Mods and keeps the site the cleanest.

Exactly what I thought, I don't mean to be big headed or anything by saying my idea is good but I really think it would work and as long as it's easier for this to happen then I think it would be a very good idea.

Also, maybe the spam posts could be only visible to mods so they could dish out infractions instead of having to search through comments to find the bad comments.

Thanks for the input anyway mate. :)

Vista
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Its a good idea, yet may be abused. Maybe after 3 or more "hits" on a certain user and their posts it could get a looking to, this way no one can intentionally hurt someone. But isnt this similar to the report post button?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/report.gif

^^at the bottom of every members sidebar who posts.

J O 12 D
02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Its a good idea, yet may be abused. Maybe after 3 or more "hits" on a certain user and their posts it could get a looking to, this way no one can intentionally hurt someone. But isnt this similar to the report post button?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/report.gif

^^at the bottom of every members sidebar who posts.

No that picture is disgusting :p

I was just thinking something like the youtube thing (just the writing spam in brackets) and after a certain number of hits (prevents abuse) it is hidden and staff are alerted. :)

J O 12 D
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd like a mods input on this please or atleast some more supporters :p

SengIV
02-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Okay, this is a great idea. This should be made and you should get your medal. The first post thing really gets me mad. I scroll down to read mature posts and next thing you know I see the same person post first comment three times in a row. Really gets old wasting my iPhone's load time with 'first comment' great idea!

J O 12 D
02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Okay, this is a great idea. This should be made and you should get your medal. The first post thing really gets me mad. I scroll down to read mature posts and next thing you know I see the same person post first comment three times in a row. Really gets old wasting my iPhone's load time with 'first comment' great idea!

Thanks mate, I really appreciate your input :)
Also, I can definitely see how much you must get annoyed by loading times due to useless posts.

Hopefully, an admin or mod will see this and give me their thoughts.

RogueVasion
02-08-2008, 11:37 PM
It would be extremely useful for the news on the main page. Even though they are warned about the "woot, first post" people still do it.

I hope this does get pursued; it would be nice to stop those trying to boost their post count or something...

J O 12 D
02-08-2008, 11:54 PM
It would be extremely useful for the news on the main page. Even though they are warned about the "woot, first post" people still do it.

I hope this does get pursued; it would be nice to stop those trying to boost their post count or something...

Cheers mate, exactly what I thought, obviously since warning them doesn't seem to make a change we should just ignore their posts as spam.

Scotian Bred
02-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Well I know there is a report post button on the sidebar below the awards showcase .. which is used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. But none on the comment section as of yet !

WeeChrissy360
02-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Great idea! You've got my vote.

J O 12 D
02-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Great idea! You've got my vote.

Thanks mate :)
Still waiting for a for the input of a moderator or admin. :)

J O 12 D
02-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I sent a message to webb and he seemed to like the idea, there's my admin support :)

Gibbo
02-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I think its a good idea until it gets abused, if there is a strict policy to maintain idiots from pointlessly marking it as spam so the post is hidden then it would work.

Although it may clog it up a bit if they keep adding stuff, but overall a decent idea.

Netnabi4
02-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I really like the idea and it seems that others do too. Maybe you should pm routine and find out if this would be difficult to implement because thats the only reason I could see this as not being added.

badgerodoom
02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I think its a good idea until it gets abused, if there is a strict policy to maintain idiots from pointlessly marking it as spam so the post is hidden then it would work.

Although it may clog it up a bit if they keep adding stuff, but overall a decent idea.

These are my thoughts, people will always exploit anything they can to get what they want. They may just report posts just because they don't like somebody, or they don't like the idea that the post is conveying. If there was someway to keep this from happening... I guess you could call it "idiot proofing" it.

Maka
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I like the idea because usually when one person spams, 3 people jump in posting spam about how the other person is spamming, and it just becomes a bunch of retards fighting each other about who is spamming. This would resolve that problem, and get rid of useless post without other useless posts being used to do it.

Thumbs up!

JD FTW
02-10-2008, 10:54 PM
i think this is a great idea but could easily be abused. you should make it so that only people with a certain amount of post have the option to mark as spam. that way only regular trusted users would be incontrol

J O 12 D
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I like the idea because usually when one person spams, 3 people jump in posting spam about how the other person is spamming, and it just becomes a bunch of retards fighting each other about who is spamming. This would resolve that problem, and get rid of useless post without other useless posts being used to do it.

Thanks Maka, really appreciated :)

Thumbs up!
i think this is a great idea but could easily be abused. you should make it so that only people with a certain amount of post have the option to mark as spam. that way only regular trusted users would be incontrol

Maybe senior members only?
To be honest I don't really think it would get abused and like I said it would have to be more than one person that would have to 'report spam' to get it hidden.

Armstrong x360a
02-11-2008, 03:06 AM
I think the senior members only idea would be a great way to idiot proof it. That is if there is a way to give certain forum members different privileges based on post count alone. Don't know enough about forum code to know if that's possible or not...

It might even take some of the burden off of the mods/admins and reduce their policing workload freeing up time to make the site even better!

Eternal
02-11-2008, 09:23 AM
The Admins could make a new usergroup with a couple of extra permissions and have a promotion system based on post count and/or longevity. I know that the vBulletin Admin CP includes options for this.

J O 12 D
02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
The Admins could make a new usergroup with a couple of extra permissions and have a promotion system based on post count and/or longevity. I know that the vBulletin Admin CP includes options for this.

I see what you mean, maybe the permissions could be given to the Press team and me :p

Armstrong x360a
02-12-2008, 05:56 AM

How much work would something like this take? I think the goal of ShadowZ idea was to make things easier for the admins rather than harder. But then I really know nothing about forum code...

highpass
02-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Adding a set of permissions like that is actually a five minute job if past experience with phpbb is anything to go by, although i can't remember any options for relating post count to groups (it has been ~4 years since i touched an Admin CP though).

J O 12 D
02-12-2008, 08:01 AM
How much work would something like this take? I think the goal of ShadowZ idea was to make things easier for the admins rather than harder. But then I really know nothing about forum code...

Remember we have the best admins out there and they all work very hard behind the scenes so with pressuring into doing this, i'd say it would be very possible.

Eternal
02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
The vBulletin Admin CP has an option for promotions. There are options for Post Count, Longevity, Post Count + Longevity, etc. It is around a 5 minute job (adding the new usergroup with the permissions, adding the promotion...). I would recommend on a Post Count and Date Registered approach to this. As there may be some members who spam for their post counts.

J O 12 D
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the support guys, now it's the waiting game for some input from Routine, I have pmed him but no luck yet. (he's a busy man I know)

To be honest though I think the press team (including me :)) should just be given the powers and obviously admins.

As said above i'd happily use my spare time up deleting peoples spam comments. :)

Webb
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Remember we have the best admins out there and they all work very hard behind the scenes so with pressuring into doing this, i'd say it would be very possible.

Pressure gets you nowhere :p lol

But seriously, I know where everyone is coming from. It's all stemmed from this first post crap and on one level I agree. But we're working on so much behind the scenes, that we are juggling 1000 jobs. Yes, we will look at it and add it on to the list. In the mean time, the mods will be infracting offenders and we all know what happens to repeat offenders....

YOU'RE OUTTA HERE :D

J O 12 D
02-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Pressure gets you nowhere :p lol

But seriously, I know where everyone is coming from. It's all stemmed from this first post crap and on one level I agree. But we're working on so much behind the scenes, that we are juggling 1000 jobs. Yes, we will look at it and add it on to the list. In the mean time, the mods will be infracting offenders and we all know what happens to repeat offenders....

YOU'RE OUTTA HERE :D

Sorry mate that was meant to say 'without pressuring them into doing it' :p
Early morning mistype.

xX MaslaN Xx
02-14-2008, 01:41 AM
"Click here to support my idea!"

didnt you just take this IDEA form YouTube?

J O 12 D
02-14-2008, 07:55 AM
didnt you just take this IDEA form YouTube?

Not as such, i've seen lots of places that have had a report spam button for news articles, actually the majority of sites have a report spam button so no, I didn't.
I suggested that the hands COULD be put there but they don't have to.

J O 12 D
02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Come on guys, keep this supported.

Obviously if I was to make this idea the admins could get some of the amazing graphics team members to make us some nice buttons :)

Webb
02-17-2008, 05:53 PM
It's not about the graphics team, it's about coding it in to the site. Like I said before, we will look in to it, but at current time, we are working on bigger and better things.

Topic noted, now it's going to get locked :p

Minty
02-17-2008, 07:52 PM
And dont bump ya own thread!!!