PDA

View Full Version : Violent Spectres land of bad photoshops

violent spectre
02-12-2008, 10:04 PM
So I just started with this program and am figuring out a few things now. I just want some constructive criticism. Here are 2 I have done so far...more to come hopefully.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/am2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/Punisher1.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/tmnt.png
first attempt at a non-rectangle one :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/astroboy.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/c2ao2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/superman1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/sig1-1.png

INSANEKID13
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
the superman one inst too bad but the others are to dark they arn't that bad but the more you do the better you will get... keep posting the new ones so we all can see how your progression goes

violent spectre
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I wanted to keep the other one dark....kinda the theme I was goin for. But thanks, I need all of the help I can get. I also just noticed I blurred the area where the supermen meet too much, it is very noticeable now that I look at it. Ahh well, live and learn.

UncommonRhys x360a
02-12-2008, 10:14 PM
you could go far just practise your lighting and positioning !

Good Luck

narcolepticshee
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Good start man, definatly better than my first few! Literally on this forum go to:

Media>Graphics Resources

and download loads of brushes, loads of fonts and then read the tutorials :) And if you see someone's style you like on here - message them and ask them how they did what they did - if they're nice, they'll message back and tell ya :)

One thing I can suggest though is adding a border to your sigs :)

Peace

KasualBeast
02-19-2008, 06:50 AM
the superman one looks pretty sick dude nice

Blake
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
1: Take some tuts looking at that i'd say you need it a lot.
2: There is no background in them soo.....
3: The size you use it's not really a good signature size try 401x120 blah blah
4: The superman one is really terrible and you know why!
5: Keep going it's not a bad start and you will get there.

narcolepticshee
02-19-2008, 04:09 PM
1: Take some tuts looking at that i'd say you need it a lot.
2: There is no background in them soo.....
3: The size you use it's not really a good signature size try 401x120 blah blah
4: The superman one is really terrible and you know why!
5: Keep going it's not a bad start and you will get there.

401 x 120?! Is that a joke?!

You are so harsh man!

"1: Take some tuts looking at that i'd say you need it a lot."

and

" 4: The superman one is really terrible and you know why!"

You're supposed to be nice about CC, but you're just being a dick about it. What if he doesn't know why his superman one is terrible (which it's not btw) -

Be nice about criticism and don't be a dick

Peace

violent spectre
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the back-up ;) To each his own I guess. I do want to know what I can do to make them better, but you also have to realize that I have used the program for a total of maybe 2 1/2 hrs. I don't have a ton of time to devote to photoshop like some people, and I have obviously had no schooling on it either. I do really appreciate the comments and help, just please point out what can be done better and maybe how I can do it.

As for backgrounds, I just plain don't know how to do them yet....and make them fit the picture that I want. The Dark Angel one I didn't want a background because I wanted it to stay dark like it is....and I really like it for my first ever photoshop attempt, so nuts to you :)

narcolepticshee
02-19-2008, 10:25 PM
To get some decent backgrounds - download some brushes from deviant art (http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/applications/psbrushes/) and then just dot them around randomly in nice colours :) That's a good start. And then just start to develop your own style using the brushes you like :)

Need anymore help then just send us a message :)

Peace

Skillet
02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
They aren't bad in any way. Just lacking a bunch of detail. Lighting, blending, backgrounds... it all needs to be added to make them awesome.

violent spectre
02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Here is one more I did...still not great, but I kinda like it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/lsteg/c2ao2.png

machII
02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Your definently getting there mate:) good few starters, when your "In your Stride" it'll be good to witness what happens..

--machll

violent spectre
02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks....maybe in a couple of months I'll make something that doesn't suck :)

machII
02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Heh, there not that bad for a first go, "suck" would be the wrong word... I'd say slight inexperience.... Just go with the flow :)

--machll

Skillet
02-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Here's an idea.

1. Find a render. A good render.

2. Get a nice brush. It could be a spatter brush or grunge brush or something to that effect.

3. Use the smudge tool. It's the one under the eraser.

4. When you click on the smudge tool, look to the top right of your screen. There should be three tabs. One says Brushes and the other two say Tool Presets and Layer Comps.

5. Click Brushes and play around with the Scatter, Shape Dynamics and Other Dynamics settings.

6. Duplicate your render several times on a black background. Hide all layers but the first one and start smudging. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it's worth it.

7. Do it again on another layer. You could use a different brush. If you see something you don't like, use a small, soft eraser to clean it up.

8. Keep doing this until you get a good background. Then you need lighting.

9. Your render should have a definate light source. Like the Army of Two render in your SOTF signature. It looks like the light is coming from the left. Take a large, soft, white, round brush. (not smudging, a regular brush) and put a dot on a new layer to act as a light source. Like the top left for that render.

10. Now, if you REALLY want to get fancy... you can use a small, lightly scattered brush over the edges of your render (usually in places like the shoulders) to carefully blend the render into the background. This can be very time consuming but the final outcome is worth it.

11. Borders. Borders, borders, BORDERS! You need a border! Can't stress this enough. Create a new layer, go to Image > Apply Image. Then go to Add A Layer Style (it's in the bottom left of the Layers box. It looks like a small circle with an "f" in it. Click Stroke. Set it to any color you like at about 1 or 2 pixels. Voila. Border.

Now, this won't make a great signature, but it will get you started and smudging is always valuable.

Not a great set of instructions but I hope it helps you really get started.

violent spectre
02-29-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks....any help is appreciated.

chris uk1994
03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
one of the best i have seen the bottom one anyway i wasn't so sure about the top one

violent spectre
03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks....I'm trying :)

MapleMire
03-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Superman one looks awesome. Your other one is to dark. Try making it a little brighter.

violent spectre
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I like it being very dark.....kinda the theme I was going for, but thanks for the comment.

violent spectre
03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Added the TMNT one....I like the transparent BG's now that I know how to use them kinda. You can do so much more with it.

Nightdragon
03-05-2008, 10:15 PM
The astroboy one i like, nice and simple but pleasing and good use of the "out of rectangle"

TMNT one is cool too but its a bit busy i guess. I dno :P

violent spectre
03-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Now that I'm getting a little more used to the program, and reading a lot of tut's making things is getting easier. And I also think the Astroboy one turned out great, like you said simple but pleasing. Now if I could just get my backgrounds a little better I'll start posting the other ones I have.

narcolepticshee
03-05-2008, 11:22 PM
new ones are uber cool. You're progressing really quickly man - good work!

Peace

megadeth12691
03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Yeah, those are far superior to my first copies.

violent spectre
03-08-2008, 10:59 PM
for some reason I can't get the borders to work

narcolepticshee
03-09-2008, 08:08 AM
try doing a border like this:

1. Draw a new rectangle exactly on the edge of the canvas
2. Double click it's name in the layers tab and you should see straight away 'fill opacity'. Set that to 0
3. Then go down to stroke and check the box.
4. Now set the stroke to inside with whatever colour/opacity etc. you want :)

Peace

violent spectre
03-09-2008, 12:50 PM
cool thanks

Skillet
03-09-2008, 06:06 PM
try doing a border like this:

1. Draw a new rectangle exactly on the edge of the canvas
2. Double click it's name in the layers tab and you should see straight away 'fill opacity'. Set that to 0
3. Then go down to stroke and check the box.
4. Now set the stroke to inside with whatever colour/opacity etc. you want :)

Peace

Man, drawing a rectangle is a pain in the arse. It sucks trying to line it up right on the edges.

Wouldn't you rather create a new layer, fill it with a solid color with the paint bucket and achieve the exact same effect!?

;)

narcolepticshee
03-09-2008, 08:43 PM
yeh i agree completely skillet, it is a pain in the arse but it's an alternative way to do it coz he said the borders weren't working for him :S?

Peace