PDA

View Full Version : Quite A Predicament...

DocRevolt
02-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Well, the other day I got Stranglehold as a gift, decided that CoD4 would be better, and traded in the $40 Stranglehold for the $60 CoD4 for only 20 bucks at GameStop (you can get full credit back on a game if you bring it back in less than 7 days, if you decide you want to trade it in or you don't like it). Well, this Sunday, it will have been 7 days since I bought CoD4. If I finish it and bring it back within 7 days, I will have enjoyed the game to it's full extent, gotten a full 1000/1000, and will be able to trade it in for a copy of Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Halo 3, Orange Box, Kane & Lynch, or any other game costing 60 dollars or less. I think I can get the 1000/1000 either on or by Sunday, but should I keep CoD4 for the replay value and online mode, or trade it in for some fresh gameplay from some of the other more recent games? By the way, if you think I should trade it in, a suggestion for a game to buy would be appreciated if I haven't already mentioned it. Perhaps a good game that can be enjoyed, beaten, and knocked out for a decent number of achievements within 7 days would be nice, so I could get yet another game on my must play list into my library and onto my hard drive.

And for anyone who is about to recommend Mass Effect, I already have the game, and don't plan on trading it in anytime soon (it has amazing replay value and tough achievements, plus some new DLC coming out).

Here's hoping for some good suggestions on my plan of action!

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Keeping it depends on whether you plan on being a full-blown achievement whore, or play your games more for fun. And also, do you enjoy the online, have you tried it?

If you do trade it in, you could beat Assassin's Creed and 1000 it in less then a week if you put in some good time and carefully follow flag/templar guides.

DocRevolt
02-14-2008, 04:20 AM
Well, I play games for fun, but like picking up the occasional achievement a couple of times a day. I am yet to try the online mode, but personally, I enjoy online a lot more when there are achievements to work for.

I've heard that getting the flags in Assassin's Creed is really a pain in the ass, but if you say I could knock them out in less than a week, I'd give it a shot. And if I ever decided I wanted CoD4 back, it'll be in the used section for 5 bucks less than a new copy, though somebody might nab it in the meantime.

I could eventually get Gears of War, but Seriously sounds like it'll take ages to get. Halo sounds like a fun 1000 to earn, as does Orange Box, though a lot harder. It's funny though, I was originally gonna buy Kane and Lynch, but the guy at the front desk told me it was a terrible game, and that it would be a serious waste of my money. So I think I'll lay off of it for now =P

In the meantime, how long does it take to beat Bioshock?

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 04:25 AM
Yeah that guy at the counter gave you the right idea. Kane and Lynch had a lot of buzz and then it sucked, except for the online looks interesting.

If you are very careful in AC and use a guide step by step to avoid missing flags/templars, then you can 1000 it in a few days of hard work. I dunno about Bioshock, it'll depend on your level of skill. It requires several playthroughs, a few collection achievements, and beating the game on the hardest mode w/o dying. So it'll end up being based on your skill.

I actually didn't enjoy getting the 1000 in Halo. For the most part the only thing I enjoyed was sneaking away all the time to play the online MP.

highpass
02-14-2008, 04:30 AM
If you can manage COD4 in under a week, Bioshock will be no problem.

I'd side with Orange Box... it's tops, and varied unlike the others.

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 04:32 AM
But you can't really beat The Orange Box in a week can you?

highpass
02-14-2008, 04:33 AM
Ah, i was under the impression you could only do the 7 day deal once... perhaps not. ~850 is entirely plausible though.

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 04:34 AM
You're probably right, but that shouldn't stop him from trying! :)

highpass
02-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Too true, too true...

run ita charlie
02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Yeah that guy at the counter gave you the right idea. Kane and Lynch had a lot of buzz and then it sucked, except for the online looks interesting.

If you are very careful in AC and use a guide step by step to avoid missing flags/templars, then you can 1000 it in a few days of hard work. I dunno about Bioshock, it'll depend on your level of skill. It requires several playthroughs, a few collection achievements, and beating the game on the hardest mode w/o dying. So it'll end up being based on your skill.

I actually didn't enjoy getting the 1000 in Halo. For the most part the only thing I enjoyed was sneaking away all the time to play the online MP.

he speak nothing but lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bioshock took me 20 hours to get 900 GS, and that was only because i took my time. I went back for a second run through for the last achievements (didn't get hard because i accidentally changed the difficulty near the end of the game...), except for the without dying one. That one would require a lot of patience and skill. So i would say the first 1k shouldn't be all too hard.

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 06:03 AM
^^^
Lol, I may not be the most accurate of sources. I don't have the game, and only base this information from what I've heard.

SmallCheezFry
02-14-2008, 06:04 AM
I would recommend getting A/C, I rented it for 5 days but only truly got to play it a decent amount on 2 or 3 days. I was pretty pissed when I had to return it unbeaten. I knew it was a game that I could accomplish 1000/1000.

If you have the time to complete CoD4 in a week, I would recommend getting Assassin's Creed, getting the 1k, and then start thinking about what to get next.

drdreminem
02-14-2008, 06:07 AM
If you are pretty good at FPS get Halo 3 there's always people playing it.

DocRevolt
02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
A/C sounds like it's my best bet. And next week is completely free of school and work, meaning that I have a full week of empty days to knock the game out =D

After that I think I'll get either GoW, Bioshock, or Halo 3. I might be able to get the 1000 in BioShock in less than a week and bring it back for my 4th game in a row XD

JC
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Assassins Creed is a blast...

But I would keep COD 4 as the online is amazing.

o0EVIL0o x360a
02-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Just Keep COD4 for the online play and then the perdicament is solved. ;)

GottiMafia
02-14-2008, 03:34 PM
If your gonna trade it in get Bioshock or Assasin's Creed, its not all about achievements and those two games are awesome.

Bax x360a
02-14-2008, 03:42 PM
It really all comes down to how much you enjoy COD4 online and only you can answer that. If you love it and think you'll play it alot, then obviously keep it. If you think you'll get bored of it soon, then rag the hell out of it for the 7 days and then trade it in... Simple really innit :)

Asian47
02-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Assassin's Creed is probably your best bet. It isn't too hard to max out, just repetative when getting all the flags/templars. If you have a free week, you should be able to pull it off in about 5/6 days. ;)

In my opinion, I would keep CoD4 if only for the multiplayer. But hey your call. :p

Agent Earl
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
i would say get bioshock.
its probably the best single player game imo.
you could easily beat it in a week and score almost all achievements.
plus its crazy crazy fun ;)

tmthomsen
02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Really depends on lots of stuff. I you like shooters, you don't really get a better multiplayer experience than CoD4. That game is just awesome and incredibly fun.

But.. if you don't like it, why not turn it in for another 1000 gs? :P

Evil_Snow_Man
02-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Judgeing by your gamer score it doesn't look like you have the means to get a lot of games so that makes me say turn it in... But the other side of me says your taking advantage of a companies system and that makes me say no... But it is GameStop and I hate gamestop so yes...

gskillz99
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
i didn't know that you can return games to gamestop and get another game under 7 days. why doesn't everbody do this instead of renting games. just play for 7 days return get a new game play for 7 days and so on

DocRevolt
02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
i didn't know that you can return games to gamestop and get another game under 7 days. why doesn't everbody do this instead of renting games. just play for 7 days return get a new game play for 7 days and so on
Because you can hang onto GameFly games for as long as you like without any late fees, then send them in for new games when you're done.

Mutliplayer tends to bore me without anything to go for. Like if you don't have any achievements to go for, I don't get that much enjoyment out of it. I read a Game Informer article where the creators said they didn't want to force people to grind for achievements online, but I personally would have enjoyed it if say, they lowered all the Vetran completion achievements to 30G and added a bunch of online achievements.

Well, at this point, I'd say I'm probably gonna turn it in for Assassin's Creed, and if I happen to finish it in less than a week (I probably will), I'll bring it in for a copy of BioShock, Orange Box, Halo 3, or Gears of War. Any help on deciding between the four of those? All of them sound amazing, but BioShock was Game of the Year, and Halo 3 has been so renowned, that I think it'll end up being one of those two.

Blackjaw x
02-14-2008, 10:38 PM
If you are going to trade it in, get Orange Box.

I recommend you keep it though.

Watson bros
02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Personally i would just keep it, the online is amazing it should keep you going for months.

JesusBread
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM

Because they will ban you for doing it. You can only return 2 games every month.

o0EVIL0o x360a
02-14-2008, 10:57 PM

Eventually Gamestop is going to catch on to what he's doing. I doubt the store manager would be grateful for his method of getting games. Actually I hate people who abuse this system. The developers deserve your money for thier hard work. Without them slaving away, we wouldn't have ANY games to play.

speedchudy
02-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I would say keep COD4, the online is really great. If you not interseted than a very good and easy 1000 points would be Bioshock. Follow the guides on this website, b/c there is one acheievement that can be screwed up in the game.

x McGrim x
02-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I play games for fun, but like picking up the occasional achievement a couple of times a day. I am yet to try the online mode, but personally, I enjoy online a lot more when there are achievements to work for.

I've heard that getting the flags in Assassin's Creed is really a pain in the ass, but if you say I could knock them out in less than a week, I'd give it a shot. And if I ever decided I wanted CoD4 back, it'll be in the used section for 5 bucks less than a new copy, though somebody might nab it in the meantime.

I could eventually get Gears of War, but Seriously sounds like it'll take ages to get. Halo sounds like a fun 1000 to earn, as does Orange Box, though a lot harder. It's funny though, I was originally gonna buy Kane and Lynch, but the guy at the front desk told me it was a terrible game, and that it would be a serious waste of my money. So I think I'll lay off of it for now =P

In the meantime, how long does it take to beat Bioshock?
Are you kidding me? Go play online right now, rank up a couple of times so you can at least create your own class, and then come back and tell us what you want to do. I'm certain that you won't want to trade it in.

DocRevolt
02-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Well, I ended up finishing Mile High Club on the morning I could return it, and in the end decided to go against everything I had decided and trade it in for Halo 3 XD

I dunno, just wanted to get the all powerful Halo 3, and let me just say, it's been pretty fun so far. About 4 days of playing it, and I already finished the campaign on normal, got all the skulls, and scored all the online achievements. Now I just need to beat the game on Legendary and do all the score achievements, and I'll have a perfect 1000. I don't think I'll be returning Halo 3 though, because there's a tournament next month I'd like to take part in, and I'm actually pretty skillful at Halo in online mode.