PDA

View Full Version : 50%-80% size of Oblivion

Vista
02-16-2008, 12:12 AM
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/02/medium_2180392999_0b61bdcf73_o.jpg

The virtual worlds within RPGs are getting bigger by the day, but as an ex-girlfriend once asked us, how big is too big? Fallout 3 is reportedly building a world that, off the cuff, is about 50%-80% the size of Bethesda's last opus, Oblivion. While I enjoy exploring as much as the next guy, given the size of Oblivion, that 50%-80% sounds plenty big to me.
But what would you prefer, to explore humongous, varied worlds with a little content in each place, or a smaller, more compact world with more a higher quest/location ratio?

http://kotaku.com/357125/fallout-3-is-50+80-the-size-of-oblivion

___

I never played Oblivion, but i heard it was pretty big... It seems Fallout is going for a more rich, filled area, not widespread with nothing to do.

Shinobi273
02-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Oblivion wasn't that big, considering you could fast travel when outside and not in combat. I think the idea with Oblivion was that you could get lost in it.

hotdog1802
02-17-2008, 01:55 PM
But fallout is not going to be like oblivion.Because their is going to be more detail,unlike obivion its mostly trees,forests,and some ruins.But Fallout 3 wont be blank,so the wold will loke very big because they put in more stuff.

Peace
03-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, this will be in DC, but traditionally it was in a DESERT godd@mmit! You SHOULD get lost in a desert, and it should be a large barren wasteland spotted with an occasional dystopic oasis! How this feeling will translate to the beltway I am not sure... I have a feeling it will be more akin to Logan's Run than Mad Max! Not necessarily a bad thing, but in the end I expect it will be sparsely populated - as it should be!

IRONMAN
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
I think its a good idea. The fact that you could fast travel also kinda hints at the fact: "Hey nothing along this trail cept a few guys who will try & rob you & some animals". I look forward to it, since its based after a nuke & all that jazz, it'll be pretty intense. Good call.

TonySki
05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
t hope it will have quick travel like fallout 2 where you got to see a bunch of easter eggs if u stopped like a star trek expedition crew.

Chilidog Chaos
05-17-2008, 10:18 PM
t hope it will have quick travel like fallout 2 where you got to see a bunch of easter eggs if u stopped like a star trek expedition crew.
I hated the quick travel because it made me not want to explore the area. In oblivion though, it needed quick travel because most of the time, there was nothing to do or see except for the same old trees.

Mother Beef
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
I think if u actually bothered to walk threw oblivion then yes it was a large game but the fact of fast travel took away most of that. I every so often would go woundering it the woods hunting dear (with lighting arrows and watching there carcases fly into the air) or finding random villages i have never seen/heard of with strange enjoyable quest. So if you havent had a ponder around the map i surgest you try it.

Tym
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I hated the quick travel because it made me not want to explore the area. In oblivion though, it needed quick travel because most of the time, there was nothing to do or see except for the same old trees.

I have to agree with you there, man. Being a pretty big fan of the other Elder Scrolls games, I was disappointed with the "Quick Travel" feature. I used to play Morrowind and the others so much that just by sight 99% of the time I could find my way around. With Oblivion I was *always* opening up the map or just saying screw it and using quick travel. This is not to say I didn't enjoy Oblivion, but I never ended up finishing it because of all the changes. Maybe someday.

I would rather they give us a smaller world with Fallout 3, but have the areas they *did* include be very detailed. I have high hopes for this game, I doubt Bethesda will let me down.

laundryman
08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I never saw all of Oblivion, but I saw most of it.

This will probably be a good size.

Chud 360
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I doubt anyone would have seen the whole of Oblivion (all the caves and dungeons). There wasn't much to do outside in the main world. Hopefully, despite being smaller, the world is full of things to do.

That's the direction that rockstar went with GTA4 and that worked out well

DJbruce
08-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Ive just rented Oblivion and if its anything like that then I cant wait. Though in Oblivion you can transport youself to other places but you wont be able to do that in Fallout so maybe a smaller place is better ?

Tym
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Ive just rented Oblivion and if its anything like that then I cant wait. Though in Oblivion you can transport youself to other places but you wont be able to do that in Fallout so maybe a smaller place is better ?

QFT. I honestly believe that a smaller world with more detail and greater care is >>> large world with teleportation capability. I would feel more immersed if I had to run EVERYWHERE. It's saying something when you can look at a rock formation or ruins of a particular building after a battle and know where you are.

The Cripplers
09-02-2008, 06:16 AM
I just hope there is not as many mountains. I hated having to circle a mountain to find the one exact spot where you could climb up.

Dark Scarecrow
09-03-2008, 06:37 AM
I just hope there is not as many mountains. I hated having to circle a mountain to find the one exact spot where you could climb up.

Its Washington DC so I think the only mountains are close to Vault 101 baby!

negitorotemaki1
09-04-2008, 12:00 AM
The only thing that concerns me about Fallout being smaller than Oblivion is that a fair chunk of the world will be 'desolate wasteland'.

androsmere
09-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Sounds familiar. If I'm not mistaken, GTA IV is smaller than GTA San Andreas.

Ubermedic
09-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Fallout is based in CA.
Fallout 3 is going to be in DC...
What? Bethesda can't do desert textures?
I know... The whole nations capital will make a much better skyline than East bay... But still... I want to rebuild my old junker car and drive to the coast to fight mutants!

Outline
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
The thing missed out is the fact that Fallout 3 is going to be a lot more packed than Oblivion.

Chris94
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
i can't stand running for miles even in games its annoying so i want lots of things close together - no wonder its over 100hours long if they make you walk everywhere

big red marino
09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I like the sound of this. Oblivion was huge - considering all the caves, crypts, and Ayleid ruins. I almost always used fast travel unless I was training for an attribute.

Darktower
10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Oblivion was boring when it came to sight seeing..Fallout 3 will be way better

Havok24691
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I loved Oblivion. Some of you are gonna think wtf but i walked everywhere in that game, if i had to close a gate in leyawin then i would walk all the way down there then back to bruma. the only thing that got tiring with that is that nothing ever seemed to change you was always walking down a road that had trees on each side and after a while it just got boring. lets just hope that fallout has more stuff crammed in more towns random houses little settlements all that kinda stuff

Wanstall99
10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
oblivion was ok first ov all but then it got really boring and i quick travelled everywhere

Pyroman31
10-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Oblivion was almost TOO big for me. So this is good news.

TimmyTheTurtle
10-07-2008, 10:55 PM
oblivion was huge and it was a good thing. it had plenty of space to mess around in and caves and secret things to find. half the size is kinda pushing it, but 80 percent is insane. It better have a buttload of sidequests and things to do and find plus downloadable content, or this is gonna be pretty lame.

M85A21
10-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Plus unlike Oblivion if we get bored we can nuke the map.

TimmyTheTurtle
10-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Plus unlike Oblivion if we get bored we can nuke the map.

wait are you serious or are you joking lol

M85A21
10-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm serious.
The weapon Fat Man is a tactical Nuke launcher.
If we get bored we can take chunks out of the map.

TimmyTheTurtle
10-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Not gonna lie that is really fucking cool. Now I'm even more excited. :p

Scelestus
10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I won't mind if they decrease the overall size of the map so they can make the content more individual and detailed.