PDA

View Full Version : Official Kobe Dunk Off Help Thread

KINGxSAINT
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Seeing how there is a million threads about the Kobe Bryant dunk off, I thought I would make this so random threads don't keep on getting made.

Edit:I never said I was offering help just post here so many threads are not made.

Denny Crane
02-18-2008, 01:42 AM
wheres the help? thats false advertizing.

Denny Crane
02-18-2008, 03:29 AM
"For this you need to win a Sprite Slam Dunk Contest and then you need Kobe to step out to challenge you. The problem is that there is 6 possible outcomes to the dunk contest, and they are: Lebron James challenges you, Vince Carter challenges you, Jason Richardson challenges you, Tracy McGrady challenges you, Kobe Bryant challenges you, or nobody shows up at all. The best method to go about this is use the other 4 people(LBJ, VC, Tmac, and Richardson) in the dunk contest to eliminate those 4 outcomes. Keep trying and eventually Kobe will show up. To beat him the best method is: for the first dunk take off by doing a full rotation counter-clockwise and then in the air do another full rotation counter-clockwise. You will score 95-100. Then for the second dunk do the opposite, spin clockwise both times, and you will again score 95-100. The dunk-off is only 1 round, 2 dunks"

first off all, can u control all 4 guys and still have him come?

Denny Crane
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
ok i just tried it playing as VC only against the 3 possible outcomes (except kobe) and that didnt work. then i tried with 4 completely different people to see if anyone would come, but nada. im starting to believe that this dunk off shit is just a lie.

Denny Crane
02-19-2008, 04:44 AM
how bad are the odds of getting him? ah well forget it, its not worth it, LOST is out soon...

Phantom-Phive
02-19-2008, 11:15 PM
actually it does work, its just all random, but if u play with the other 4 outcomes (excluding kobe) then there's only 2 possible outcomes no challenge, or kobe.... its really random so when he does show u really gotta capitalize and beat him cause u don't know when he will pop up again...

Capital_Tee
02-21-2008, 04:06 PM
do all of the 4 players have to be user controller or just 1?
and when does kobe appear? after the 1st round? after the final round?

Capital_Tee
02-22-2008, 10:37 PM
well for ever1 that wants to know. itll work 100%, i had kobe show 2 out of 2 trys.

1) choose Carter, Richardson, McGrady and James. You can control all 4 or just 1 of the 4. controlling all 4 is easier and makes it faster.
2) make one of these 4 win. If you control just 1 player, you HAVE to win the contest against the CPU. so it's harder bc you have to show your good moves and cant safe them for kobe. if you control all 4 just do the same dunk for the winner, like up-up OVER AND OVER AGAIN and choke with the other 3 until youve won. the fastest way is to dunk, but dont make the basket. repeat this 2 times and the clock will stop after 10 seconds ;). i won with VC and kobe came and i won with LJ and kobe came. so it doesnt seem to matter who player you win with.
3) after you won the contest, kobe comes. you can jump over the car with a right-right move (very easy) for a 80 points or sth and then do the 2x full rotation clockwise dunk, where he makes the flip. thatll give you a 100 and youll win :). finito.

hope that helps yall out.

zI HURRIC4N3 Iz
02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
You can control all the players, do so to make it easier. Then on the VERY last dunk off the contest "Round 3, Dunk 3" WATCH the whole of the dunk & the replay, don't press anything, this will increase the chances of Kobe showing up.

Incorrigible Space Cadet
02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Was probably no need to make this thread, people just need to use the search feature and try to post their thoughts in one spot...

This is likely the best thread for dunk contest strategy,
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40955

Along with the guide sticky

jackanape
03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
FINALLY got this done today, I'd gone about 10 contests in a row without Kobe showing up and then he turned up first time this morning........I then proceeded to lose and scream a lot. Gave it one more go and he showed up again, miracle of miracles. Drubbed his ass with a 93 dunk and then a 94 one.

Strangely they were both the full rotation dunks that people have been mentioning but I didn't get 100 either time, hadn't used them earlier in the contest either.

Ant The Legend
03-25-2008, 05:30 AM
this is the last achievement i have left for 2k8....i almost gave up hope...goin' to try the "don't push anything durin' the replay" method and see if that works

Cromanaz33
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
I just finished this a couple minutes ago first of all but it took me a couple attempts to do it because when facing kobe you rush sometimes and mess up... So I looked on YOUTUBE and found a video of a Dunk that gets you either a 99 or a 100 everytime and its fairly simple

First of place the wood bench from props in the middle spot, then you start your gather near the top of the key by flicking the RS to the right, then from the 3 O'Clock position you can go either clockwise or counter clockwise but hopefully this helps someone because I kept losing by like 5 points everytime

x Voit x
03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
yea i used the video on youtube to help me too

ultiMATTTE
04-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I tried this 2 times and got Kobe at the end both times. I did as mentioned as above and used Carter, Richardson, McGrady, and James and controlled them all for practice until i reached Kobe. At the end i also just sat back and watched and the stretched hummer came with Kobe. I got lucky because I messed up on my first dunk and got 30 something points. Kobe completely choked on his 2nd dunk and got 1 point. On my 2nd dunk i did the complete rotation starting pointing up and got 93 points beating Kobe for the Achievement. I got lucky but it can be done by others because I am the worse person at dunking. Good luck to all

megamoviejohn
05-25-2008, 08:30 PM
12 attempts in a row and still no Kobe. Fuck this achievement, I'll try 3 more times. I haven't been so pissed since MLB2k7's rail lean catch. Totally random bullshit.

BB55
06-01-2008, 08:34 PM
this is bs kobe never shows up for me. been like 10 dunk contests..no kobe. I hope 2k doesnt f this up in 2k9....

Damian83
06-14-2008, 11:31 AM
i was very lucky with this one...kobe showed 2 of 2 times...first time he beat me. second time he dont center dunk at second shot, so i made only 2 dunks of 80point each

Tru_Warrior
07-12-2008, 11:48 PM
"For this you need to win a Sprite Slam Dunk Contest and then you need Kobe to step out to challenge you. The problem is that there is 6 possible outcomes to the dunk contest, and they are: Lebron James challenges you, Vince Carter challenges you, Jason Richardson challenges you, Tracy McGrady challenges you, Kobe Bryant challenges you, or nobody shows up at all. The best method to go about this is use the other 4 people(LBJ, VC, Tmac, and Richardson) in the dunk contest to eliminate those 4 outcomes. Keep trying and eventually Kobe will show up. To beat him the best method is: for the first dunk take off by doing a full rotation counter-clockwise and then in the air do another full rotation counter-clockwise. You will score 95-100. Then for the second dunk do the opposite, spin clockwise both times, and you will again score 95-100. The dunk-off is only 1 round, 2 dunks"

first off all, can u control all 4 guys and still have him come?

Just did that technique, worked. Kobe showed up when it was over. Rofl, I beat him by 1 point. Lucky me

VisitorQ
07-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Does it matter if you pick rematch after the dunk contest? Or do you have to return to main menu and start a new contest?
I've had Kobe show once (on my first ever try) Since then NOTHING!
I'm about ready to give this one the slip! :(

JTL
08-07-2008, 08:09 AM
It doesn't matter whether you pick rematch or start a new contest after the dunk contest. Kobe will only appear on a random basis and I've been able to get him to challenge me by either ways.

Chada Darkmane
08-23-2008, 01:31 AM
I dont know how anyone has managed to get this achievement because its simply impossible to do a decent dunk, ive finally worked out how to do a dunk but the only ones i can get him to do are shit ones that give about 70 points, and even those only work about 1 out of 10 times. when i start rotating the stick and try and do some tricks no matter how i time pulling the right trigger he always fails, ive tryed getting the bench out and every time the stupid asshole just runs into the bench instead of starting his wind up. ive tryed this about a 100 times and its just not working, what am i doing wrong?

RX24
08-26-2008, 04:35 AM
I got this one like 5 days ago but it took a ton of attempts. I think it makes it a lot easier if you change the camera to a side view. Then do two full rotation dunks. Take off from in between the 3 point line and free throw line. The first dunk is gonna be mid-high 90s and the second one if its the exact one is mid-high 80s. If you have challenged him a lot, sooner or later, he might screw up a dunk attempt. Keep trying this method and eventually you will get it.

Chada Darkmane
08-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Ive finally figured out the secret of the elusive 100 point dunk but now that ive solved this problem ive just finished playing 9 games in a row where kobe hasnt shown up, and its got nothing to do with using the other 4 players, whether or not you press any buttons after the final dunk or keeping your score low. This achievement is totally fucked. Worst ever.

Bobtroid
08-30-2008, 03:09 AM
I could never do this, if I have a weakness in basketball games its the dunk contests.

Gatsu
08-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Played this about 6 times, got it the second time I met him.

Try this:

P1
P2
P3
P4

Control all of them, win.

Now play as P1 only & get the CPU to be P2,P3,P4, win or lose.

Play again as P1,P2,P3,P4

EricDC
09-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I can not get him to challenge me. It's hard.

EricDC
09-21-2008, 01:07 AM
OMG after 22 tries at the dunk contest and playing 5 hours straight, I finally beat Kobe. He challenged me 6 times and I beat him on the 6th time.

He choked on the second dunk and got an 80, then I finished him off with a dunk rated 87. I beat him by 2 points!

SPNKr M19
09-23-2008, 11:42 PM
OMG after 22 tries at the dunk contest and playing 5 hours straight, I finally beat Kobe. He challenged me 6 times and I beat him on the 6th time.

He choked on the second dunk and got an 80, then I finished him off with a dunk rated 87. I beat him by 2 points!

So from what i've read here you have to wait for him to stuff up. The first time I met Kobe was when I was going for the win a slam dunk contest achievement. I thought kill two birds with one stone, and it was my first try ever. So I was controlling all the users with the players like the guide says and my highest score was 30, then Kobe rocks up does a kartwheel and dunks it. I was sitting there thinking if he gets 100 like this everytime i'm never gonna get it. Since then i've neve seen Kobe.

unkled20
02-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I was just learning how to do the dunk contest and figured I would just do some "on the job training" so to speak. I started the dunk contest with the 4 other guys and really didn't know what I was doing, but figured I'd learn while I got the win slam dunk achievement. Kobe showed up on my first try and my third try. I got killed by him. I went into practice and got fairly good. I did about 20 more dunk contests with him showing up once!!!! I lost to him by 3 points. I hate this damn achievement. I will probably never get it, what a pain!

Warwingz
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I just got this achievement after about a week of trying for it. It took about 30 dunk-offs in total. Kobe showed up at about 1/2 - 1/3 of them. It takes me about 10 minutes to get through 1 dunk off. Basically, use a quick dunk for everyone (right, right or up, up).

When Kobe showed up, he got a 90 on his first. I used the 2 clockwise 360's over the bench and got 100. Kobe fumbled his 2 tries on the next dunk and only got 40. So his total was 130. I just did a stupid left right dunk and got 60 or so. Owned him hardcore.

This achievement is a little bit luck and a little bit skill. My advice to anyone trying for this is to learn your 90+ score dunk really well (in dunk school). Do it until you hardly every miss. Then start wasting your time with dunkoffs, that way when Kobe shows up, you have a much better chance of getting it. Don't use up your good dunk until he shows up, so it gets a massive score. You can use it twice, or use 2 different dunks depending.

If you have any questions about this achievement please let me know, I'll be glad to help. The best advice is already in the achievement guide. Best of luck to everyone, this one is rather frustrating at times.

EOU Findub
03-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Finally beat this son of a bitch...took an hour and a half straight to do it.

First dunk he missed the first time, but hit the second...83.
My first dunk = 100

Second dunk for Kobe he shanked everything twice, finally got one at the buzzer...74
My second dunk = 75

I win. Man this achievement suck...

BONECRUSHER
03-18-2009, 03:27 AM
It's not only about just winning the contest. You got get an 80+ rating on all of your dunks in the contest besides winning for Kobe to come and challenge you

anthonyd46
04-17-2009, 07:59 AM
guys edit kobe so his shooting reg and 3 pointers are 50 also edit his dunks to 50. The first try after i did this he got 3 and 77 for his scores i beat him easily with 73+36.

Pedle Zelnip
07-13-2009, 05:17 AM
guys edit kobe so his shooting reg and 3 pointers are 50 also edit his dunks to 50. The first try after i did this he got 3 and 77 for his scores i beat him easily with 73+36.

I had a friend who did the same thing and had similar results, but there's been a LOT of other people who've done it and had Kobe still score 90+ dunks after editing his stats.

So I think the stat editing has no effect, and you just got lucky.

At any rate, I did 5 dunk-offs tonight and Kobe didn't show up for a single one of them. Waste of f'n time.

Last night I did 4, he showed up for the last 2. The first he got a 91 on his first dunk, I got a 99 on mine (up + clockwise circle over the sprite sign), then he got a 94 and I got something in the 80s and lost.

The 2nd time he came in and screwed up his first dunk, getting an 83, then I completely blew mine and scored in like the 50's. He screwed up his 2nd as well getting an 83 again, but the first mistake cost me as there was no way I could recover from that mistake.

This morning he came in on my 3rd try and scored 94 & 96, and I screwed up my first dunk so it was over after that.

Worst achievement I've ever seen. Aside from the fact its stupidly difficult, it requires so much luck. It's frustrating too as by the time he shows up I've been doing so many easy dunks (up up or something similar) for the other guys that my timing for the hard dunks is completely off. That, combined with the fact you have so little time to set up a prop, etc, you're rushing your dunk so you're extra likely to screw it up.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel a little bit better now.

Pedle Zelnip
07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
FINALLY got it this morning.

For those like me who can't seem to consistently nail the clockwise/counterclockwise dunks, I'd recommend you do like I did:

Do the 4 human controlled players with Lebron James, Jason Richardson, Tracy MacGrady, and Vince Carter
Through the first three rounds just keep doing up up for every dunk for every guy
If Kobe shows up, irregardless of how high he scores do a simple down down dunk but with the bench prop. You'll score in the mid-high 80's.
For your second dunk do a right right over the sprite sign. I scored 91 when I did this.

Basically you just want to force Kobe to beat you. So rather than try and do the amazingly high scoring (and very hard to nail) dunks, it's better to do two easy dunks with props. I've seen Kobe have combined scores ranging from 130 to 185, so if you always score 170+ it's just a matter of time before you get it.

I never want to play an NBA game again. Ever. :p

Anji
07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Simplest way to beat kobe is to do prop dunks. down/Left will jump over anything, even the car. Up/up is also pretty solid. Right/Right is good, Left/Left is decent, Up/Clockwise, Down/Clockwise.....ect, just find out what works the best and any dunk that get's big air is good.

I find that jumping the Car and the 7tires will get you the biggest scores.

CFC07
11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
stupid achievement.........................:mad::mad::mad :

LUXB0X
11-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm thinking of just giving up on this. It's my last one in the game and i literally lost to him by one point! It's hard enough to get him to show up and when he does, I can't beat him...

I'm about ready to pay someone to do it for me...

message me if you have any advice.

luxb0x

sneakyone
03-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Simplest way to beat kobe is to do prop dunks. down/Left will jump over anything, even the car. Up/up is also pretty solid. Right/Right is good, Left/Left is decent, Up/Clockwise, Down/Clockwise.....ect, just find out what works the best and any dunk that get's big air is good.

I find that jumping the Car and the 7tires will get you the biggest scores.

but how exactly do you get him to challange you?