PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Tax Bill

Drewdude1023
02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
http://tech.msn.com/news/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=6245668&icid=tg6245668&GT1=10938

Even though I don't live in New Mexico, I can't believe these lawmakers are trying to get people away from games and TV. It is our choice. Fortunately, I think this is unconstitutional so it won't pass. I could be wrong though:(

Otisbum
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
They've got their hearts in the right place, and it's nice to see where they plan on putting the cash, but any tax on videogames and TV is just asking for people to work around the law.

Still, it's only 1%, though if they get that much they'll eventually work harder for a higher amount.

Zef
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Why don't they have a 1% sitting down tax? That would get people off their asses.

And I agree that it is slightly less evil-sounding by claiming that the money will go towards education, that way gamers won't be as stupid =) But thinking logically here, they want kids to go outside because 'video games are bad for your health' (not from the link, but that's how people think in reality) and the solution is to go outside. But outside there are gangs, criminals, meteors, drink-drivers, thugs, perilously loose tree branches, landmines, Bin Laden(s) and even killer bees. So would you rather pay 1% more to have a fat living child, or save that 1% and have healthy dead children (note that it would cost you money for a funeral (so you'd lose the 1%))? Infact, why have kids? Adopt a greyhound instead:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/

Kinneshi
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Video games is THE source of entertainment these days for a lot of us. I know for a fact taxing couldn't come between me and my love for video games. :P

Jicholls
02-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Infact, why have kids? Adopt a greyhound instead:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/

At least your parents didn't come up with that same idea :woop:

SmallCheezFry
02-18-2008, 04:57 PM
"No Child Left Inside Act"

So only children play video games? I don't know any children that can purchase their own TV. This is a bit on the ridiculous side, IMO. Why don't they just tax sporting event tickets, movie tickets, and anything else that could lead to some sort of entertainment?

Otisbum
02-18-2008, 05:00 PM
:biglaugh

Dang it Zef, this was supposed to be a serious discussion.

Zef
02-18-2008, 05:05 PM
At least your parents didn't come up with that same idea :woop:

If you google my name then you would find out that I am infact the 2005 Top Stud from the UK Siberian Husky Club, not a greyhound.

http://www.eekonoo.co.uk/Zef_stud.html

Kinneshi
02-18-2008, 05:06 PM
:biglaugh

Dang it Zef, this was supposed to be a serious discussion.

Serious discussion should not be permitted on the internet.

Shinobi273
02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
They (the government) can increase taxes on anything. It's not that much and I don't live there so I don't mind. Besides, people that die younger due to cancer and overweight issues are cheaper for healthcare than people that live a long time and die of slower causes. Save medicare by encouraging bad habit lifestyles, smoke up and eat fast food.

oO Hippie Oo
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
This world is unconstitutional, mostly because of Christians, they're delusional and they ruin everything from stem cell research to video games, just to make their imaginary god happy with them.

Segnius
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
This world is unconstitutional, mostly because of Christians, they're delusional and they ruin everything from stem cell research to video games, just to make their imaginary god happy with them.

I'm not a christian, but I find this pretty insulting. Are you really stupid enough to think that a single religion is the main cause of our problems?

Shinobi273
02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm not a christian, but I find this pretty insulting. Are you really stupid enough to think that a single religion is the main cause of our problems?

Listen to Lennon (not Lennin); it's government, religion, and physical wealth.

JesusBread
02-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Apparently, the Islamic religion which believes blowing yourselves up solves problem is the religion we all should follow, right?

Last time I checked though, Church and state are TWO things that have NOTHING to do with each other so please, go fuck yourself. In my opinion, it's people like you that believe in nothing that fuck up our world.

Everyone has the right to believe in what they want. Just because you believe in killing fetuses is what we should do, doesn't mean everyone believes that.

*Note* I have nothing against Islamic people. I was just trying to get a point across. That point being that there is no religion that everyone in the world should be. Everyone has the right to believe in what they want. I also know that blowing yourself up is not part of the Islamic religion. Again, just trying to get a point across.

Shinobi273
02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Apparently, the Islamic religion which believes blowing yourselves up solves problem is the religion we all should follow, right?

Last time I checked though, Church and state are TWO things that have NOTHING to do with each other so please, go fuck yourself.

*Note* I have nothing against Islamic people. I was just trying to get a point across. That point being that there is no religion that everyone in the world should be. Everyone has the right to believe in what they want.

That was a poor example... suicide bombers are extremists. The major difference between the middle east and the west is that religion has the aurthority of law in the middle east and everyone is afraid of religion in the west.

My point was that your comparison was just as bad as the one you criticized.

Please no more religion talk.

JesusBread
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
That was a poor example... suicide bombers are extremists. The major difference between the middle east and the west is that religion has the aurthority of law in the middle east and everyone is afraid of religion in the west.

My point was that your comparison was just as bad as the one you criticized.

Please no more religion talk.

I don't care how bad it was. That asshole was the one who started it, wasn't he? I'm not Christian, but I was still offended by that comment seeing as how I am Catholic which is a branch of Christianity.

Shinobi273
02-27-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't care how bad it was. That asshole was the one who started it, wasn't he? I'm not Christian, but I was still offended by that comment seeing as how I am Catholic which is a branch of Christianity.

So you don't care about upsetting muslims but you care about a seperatist group of your own religion? That's fine, you're not a hipocrite.

Laufton_13
02-28-2008, 01:30 AM
My problem with Christians and all religious factions is that they have this self righteus personality about them and they critisize things like homosexuality when it's a personal choice and you have no right to tell someone how to live their life. So simpily put if it's not hurting you then shut the hell up! And if one more person calls me a ignorant atheist I am going to slap them, I don't believe in god simpily because it's a useless Idea for me as I think not doing something just because you're scared of the punishment is wrong I think you shouldn't do something because you feel that's it's wrong and god is just a threating way to make someone a good person and even then, that is just one idea of a good person, a version I tend to disagree with quite commonly.

Laufton_13
02-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Maybe you didn't know this but Catholics are Christians, there's not a seperate group that are just called Christians there's protestants, Catholics, and eastern orthodox and they're all christians.

blackmagic16
02-28-2008, 01:35 AM
http://tech.msn.com/news/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=6245668&icid=tg6245668&GT1=10938

Even though I don't live in New Mexico, I can't believe these lawmakers are trying to get people away from games and TV. It is our choice. Fortunately, I think this is unconstitutional so it won't pass. I could be wrong though:(
Go supreme court go.

SmallCheezFry
02-28-2008, 01:41 AM

Did we really need to bring religion into this? It's quite obvious saying shit like that is pretty much the same as flame baiting. Anyone with any common sense would know saying that is going to bring about a flame war that's just not needed in a friggin' thread about a video game tax.

That would mean you are Christian. All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics.

hopesfall2win
02-28-2008, 03:50 AM
How does a tax on video games thread turn into my religion vs yours thread ? :confused:

JesusBread
02-28-2008, 04:00 AM
My problem with Christians and all religious factions is that they have this self righteus personality about them and they critisize things like homosexuality when it's a personal choice and you have no right to tell someone how to live their life.

I hope you mean your problem with *SOME* Christians. I have nothing against homosexuals or stem cell research or anything most extreme Christians do. Don't bunch us up into one group.

G Big Mac
02-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Listen to Lennon (not Lennin); it's government, religion, and physical wealth.
i actually thought you said "Listen to Lennon (Lenin) im like:eek:

ontopic:
Video game tax, thats just sad, thank god i live in a country without stupid tax like that, in the only province in canada without provincial tax, therefore, i only pay 5% tax:woop:

willcrazyiii
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Don't blame a video game tax on Christians. Blame it on politicians such as Al Gore (Tipper Gore) and Joe Leiberman. Thank god they did not get elected or there would be no such thing as the Xbox 360.

highpass
02-29-2008, 12:36 AM
It would take longer for someone to sift through all this deleting all the off topic crap related to religion than it would to lock it, so I'll nick JDM's keys for a minute (sorry mate).

Always remember! Religion and Politics are 100% likely to destroy any thread, hence such discussions not being tolerated here in this blissful happy happy place, thank yous.