PDA

View Full Version : My Review, completed it in around 8 hours

x YNWA x
02-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Lost: The Video Game - Review (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=781)

I got this game on Friday in the post. I started playing around 11pm on Saturday Evening. I played until 4am, and then tonight I spent around 3 hours on it so finished in just over 8 hours, not too long really and was expecting to be more like 12.

Ill start off by saying im a massive lost fan and really love the show. Ive watched every episode and use a lot of the lost forums too so im a big lost fan. I stay up every thursday night until 5am Friday morning to watch the latest episode etc.

I have never written a game review before but feel the need to in this case, as someone has already said they would rate it as 9/10 which I think is very wrong indeed. Putting it in the same bracket as the likes of Oblivion, PGR4, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, COD4 etc etc Is really wrong and people will be disappointed when they receive it if they are hoping for a 9/10 game.

It is a very entertaining game in terms of story which is typical lost, with its "WTF" moments!

Voices - A major part of the game (for me anyway) should all be the same as the show's voices. The producer's said the aim was to recreate the environment of lost and make the player feel like they are on the beach with the other losties, but if they sound nothing like them, how are we meant to believe this? Kate and Jack dont sound too bad, along with Claire and Ben who is really good. But Sawyer and Locke sound nothing at all like the real life counterparts and especially Sawyer should have because he is one of those charactors with the distinct voice and his little wisecracks etc.
Overall 5/10

Music - Spot on, all the music and sounds from the show are here which makes you feel even worse for the voices:(
Overall - 10/10

Graphics - Nice graphics which is what you would expect from them, I think they used the engine used on graw? Some parts are really good like in the caves or in the jungle, but the beach doesnt look that good and the plane wreckage with the fire effects are almost original xbox like. The charactor's faces look really good apart from one or two who look like zobies, they are really good. Hurley, Kate and Jack especially. I would have preferred worse graphics to average voices, but a balance would have been nice. Also if suffers from framerate issues if there is a lot on the screen at the same time.
Overall - 7 or 7.5/10

Presentation - This is really good, the way it recaps after each episode like the show.
Overall - 8/10

Gameplay - In a weird way id compare it to Tomb Raider without the Jumping about etc. Its just because of the 3rd party view and the camera angles can go funny every now and then. Loading times are quite bad, everytime you go into a new area it can take a while to load, one time I timed it and it took 53 seconds just to move from the jungle to the Black Rock. I like the way you can carry lots of items though. One thing I loved was the ability to trade items. You can pick up things like chocolate bars, water, pineapples and trade them for torches, guns, clips, lanterns. So its got a little strategy in there. You cannot go into the caves without a torch, or you die by Mr Black smokie! So always make sure you have plenty of torches and lantern fuel and you will be ok.
Its also very very linear, you don't get to do much exploring on your own and frankly you dont want to because its a pain in the ass if the black smoke monster gets you, you have to start all the way from the beginning of the path.

Overall 7.5/10

Replay value - Because this game will last only about 12 hours maximum, there is little or no replay value. I think the most you would play through is twice, just to pick up the things you missed first time around, but no online modes make this more of a rental type game. I personally prefer it with no online modes, but it could have been longer. Some of the episodes can take 20 minutes to finish. It would be great if they brought out new episodes as DLC.
Overall - 5/10

Story - The story is typical lost. I wont spoil the ending but some people will love it and others will hate it, but its what lost is all about! The producer's said they used a brand new character for the game to enable newcomers to play the game and maybe then start watching the show. But you really have to have watched the show to enjoy it properly. They said it wouldnt have been good as playing as Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Lock etc as we know their stories already. I agree with this and its good playing a new character with a new story and new flashbacks. But if you havent seen the show before, you wont have a clue what is going on. You see things that happen in season 1 and 2 but from different angles and different perspective. It doesnt really tell you what has happened, you just know what has happened because you saw the it in the tv series. So Id recommend watching Season 1 and 2 if you havent seen them before.

You know that the black smoke monster has appeared for the first time because you see people running out the jungle, but you dont get to see what they saw in the show with the pilot getting killed etc.

There isn't a great deal of atmosphere either. For example you don't see characters wandering around just randomly - you only ever see people you HAVE to speak to to further the game.
Overall for Story - 8/10

Also a lot of the early "reviews" are showing up on sites sponsored by UBI - the frag girls one for example is done by a set of women gamers put together by UBI themselves, are they ever going to post a bad comment about the game? Unlikely. Just always suspect when the only "official" reviews are ones from the PR side of UBI.
I'm not saying its a disaster of a game as it isn't - just don't go into this expecting a title any more than a 7 out of ten. Its all about expectation, if you are expecting this to be 9 or 10 out of 10, you will be upset and disappointed - like I was, but I had no reviews to go on to base my opinion on.

A 9 out of 10 score means that there is hardly anything to improve on. But there is plenty to improve on. Graphics, voices, gameplay and replay value.

Overall I would give this game 7/10

Sorry if the review isn't very readable, I dont normally type this much but I felt the need to let people know, as I was disappointed with it, being a massive lost fan, I bought into the hype and feel let down, but that is partly my fault for forgetting the TV / Movie gaming tie-in - they are mostly average games but Id put this at the top of the tie ins at the moment, for example, it is streets ahead of CSI!

Aphlix
02-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Nice. As being the Boggest LOST Fan, The replay-ability is gonna be quite high for me XD

x YNWA x
02-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Nice. As being the Boggest LOST Fan, The replay-ability is gonna be quite high for me XD

Boggest?

Well, trust me. I watch the show every week and have watched every episode. Playing it twice will be enough, since there is an ending, so there is nothing to speculate on like the actual tv show. The only reason you would play it again would be to get some missed achievements. I dont mind watching episodes again (ive seeen seasons 1-3 about 3 times each lol) but it can be a bit of a chore to play this game and towards the end, you just want to complete it to stop playing it. I was the same really, people were moaning about the fact that its 10 hours long, I thought well id play it though 3 times or more but I cant see myself doing that having played through once. Im going to do the 1st 2 episodes which would take about 30 mins, thats purely to get the achievements.

Aphlix
02-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Frankly, Without offense, I dont care if that's what you'd do. You aint me XD

And yes, that was a typo.

Truthfully. LOST is my life. Yes its just a TV Show but it has had me entertained, excited and something to live for for almost 4 years now. And for me to be able to play LOST...WoW

x YNWA x
02-26-2008, 02:45 AM

Truthfully. LOST is my life. Yes its just a TV Show but it has had me entertained, excited and something to live for for almost 4 years now. And for me to be able to play LOST...WoW

Yes, I felt the same as you on Friday, until i opened the game. You dont feel like you are playing lost at all. Voices are all wrong, when you are at the beach you are mostly on your own, just little things like that, over the next 4 days there will be tons of "i feel so let down" threads!

John Locke
02-26-2008, 04:45 AM
Yes, I felt the same as you on Friday, until i opened the game. You dont feel like you are playing lost at all. Voices are all wrong, when you are at the beach you are mostly on your own, just little things like that, over the next 4 days there will be tons of "i feel so let down" threads!
ive said it a million times, the game could be bad, but im playing a lost game even if its as "un-lost" as you say it is (i dont buy that either) i would make myself feel im playing a lost game. something i couldnt do in any other game. im not gonna go hey theres hugo over by that tree in COD. i love lost. i love videogames. lost + videogames = im pleased

voorhees1979
02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Not to sure what you were doing for 8 hours :)

1000g is pretty much easy to get in around 5-6 hours

Its a very small game

mull3t
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree with YNWA. And believe me I am a HUGE lost fan. I enjoyed every episode (level) of the game, but I cant see myself re-running the game any time soon.

But hey, each to there own.

Gorjira
02-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Its not LOST though. Your playing as a dude youve never met before - He has his own story. I cant really see this game living up to everything, and for me, I think it will confuse and mess up my view on the episodes.

Denny Crane
02-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Its not LOST though. Your playing as a dude youve never met before - He has his own story. I cant really see this game living up to everything, and for me, I think it will confuse and mess up my view on the episodes.
i will feel like im playing lost though. i will have to see 2morrow but i cant see myself not loving and playing this game a bunch of times

UNDERWALLY
02-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Nice Review thanks, I think I'll be renting this game

Ry Fryy
02-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks for this review. I've been frantically trying to find some decent reviews for this game. Not that it matters since I had it reserved months ago, but it's just nice to read what others think.

killerharu45
02-27-2008, 08:11 AM
This game does look good but based on your review I'll think I rent it first then choose to buy it or not

McCare
02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
to be honest, for some odd reason I had a really good feeling about this game.

Your review, YNWA, brought my expectations down to a realistic level....to what they should have been intially.

So, thanks for that...At least now i know not to be disappointed and will probabbly extract more enjoyment out of the game.

AOSKINS
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Still not to sure about this game, not a huge fan of Lost, but I love adventure games

x YNWA x
02-28-2008, 03:55 AM
Not to sure what you were doing for 8 hours :)

1000g is pretty much easy to get in around 5-6 hours

Its a very small game

I was trying to explore but in the end I realised there was nothing to explore. I think its possible to even do it in about 4 hours

x YNWA x
02-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Still not to sure about this game, not a huge fan of Lost, but I love adventure games

I wouldnt call this an adventure game. Id just call it a story game where you do set things, set paths etc. Not like an adventure game where u get to go and do all different stuff

Denny Crane
02-28-2008, 04:00 AM
its a great game.

CriscoDisco878
02-28-2008, 04:12 AM
good review

Arminies
02-28-2008, 04:39 AM
I love this game. and i love the show. i though the game did a A+ job on the story style and the lack of gun need. i took 4 gun shots the whole game. and it was awesome. i cant wait to replay it... and the Ending is off the hook. So much like Lost. i was in awe...

sheldipez
03-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Lost: The Video Game - Review (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=781)

Kate and Jack dont sound too bad, along with Claire and Ben who is really good. But Sawyer and Locke sound nothing at all like the real life counterparts and especially Sawyer should have because he is one of those charactors with the distinct voice and his little wisecracks etc.

You do know that the geezers who play Claire and Ben provided the voices ? There was a few others characters too.... 100% agreed with Sawyer though.. it's really bad.

As much as i disliked CSi i would have to say i prefered that as at least i was thinking about stuff. there's nothing to do in Via Domus. all you do is run along a set path and there's far too many silly things like Jack guarding the "entrance" into the jungle on the beach ! you would just walk up further along the beach and enter the jungle another way.. or random "others" shooting at you when you enter the jungle (they're a lot more subtle than that in the series!)

the fuse puzzles (i use the term "puzzle" loosely here) stink of the devolopers thinking "shit we're gonna have to put something in here for them to actually do"

Just glad i didnt pay anything for it or i would cry into my cornflakes...

Darth Barthus
03-10-2008, 02:59 PM
This is a neat game for a lost fan. Rent, don't buy.