PDA

View Full Version : IGN Review 5.5/10!

killerharu45
02-29-2008, 12:58 AM
I hoped that this game would be pretty good. But from this review explained a bit. Since its IGN, I usually feel that any game deserves 1 or 2 points higher. But still, a 7 or 7.5 is not excellent. Seems like a rent for me.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/855/855795p1.html

Aphlix
02-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Atleast some of us will actually appreciate this game.

EDIT: After all, It was made for the fans...So IGN can rate all they want...It wasn't produced to be rated.

CriscoDisco878
02-29-2008, 03:19 AM
ign and gamespot are crap to me, especially after ign gave assassins creed a 7 that made me hate them, then a 9 to cod4 from gamespot when it is clearly better than halo (9.5) i just dont trust reviews anymore, i think its a good game, but if you dont like the show dont buy it

killerharu45
02-29-2008, 04:58 AM
ign and gamespot are crap to me, especially after ign gave assassins creed a 7 that made me hate them, then a 9 to cod4 from gamespot when it is clearly better than halo (9.5) i just dont trust reviews anymore, i think its a good game, but if you dont like the show dont buy it

Same here. I usually just ask my friends if they have played it before. I usually only look at the reader reviews because I feel as if I can trust them more

happysox
02-29-2008, 05:37 AM
I look at game reviews just like movie reviews. If it is a game type that you like then you will enjoy it. The review more or less lets me know if I am buying it new, used on e-bay or in worst case scenario, renting.
I love Lost so I will play this game no matter what. I will however wait to get it for a lot less than $60 since it got a bad review.

Ach. freak360
02-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I think thats a fair score for this game.If your a Lost fan your gonna enjoy it and maybe think it should score higher,but if you compare it to any other adventure games,and your not a fan, your gonna think its crap...Oh ya the voice acting sucks!!!!

Trevelyan
02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
IGN gave Assassin's creed like a 5 or a 6.

Forget IGN. Shit site.

Gorjira
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM

EDIT: After all, It was made for the fans...So IGN can rate all they want...It wasn't produced to be rated.

LOL! Games are made for fans, but rated anyways. Its the circle of life.

Belgurth
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Eurogamer gave it a 7, so. I'll wait for a good price drop though.

VA1N
02-29-2008, 10:15 PM
I just got the game today. I can see where they gave it a 5.5. It's really nothing spectacular. The only reason I like it so much is because it's lost. The game really isn't that great. The achievements are the easiest I have ever seen (at one point you have to pick up three things on a table to get 20 points, you are next to the table also with walls around you). The main reason you would buy this game, is for the story in the Lost world. If you are a huge fan like I am, you will appreciate this game as long as you remember you are buying it for the story and not he gameplay.

Gorjira
02-29-2008, 10:36 PM
May just buy it for the GS. Who knows. Depends on how I feel.

Ry Fryy
03-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Fuck official reviews. Ignore that stuff.

Dannyb0yUK
03-01-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm a huge Lost fan, but boy is this game ever a renter if I saw one. Seriously, completed this game in like six hours or something silly. Don't get me wrong, it's good as far as adventure games go. The addition of the gun is possibly the most pointless thing ever as there were what, three occasions where you needed to use it? And only one of those was to shoot a person LOL! The black smoke bits were kind of annoying. My only other real gripe is that for how authentic an experience this is, why is the noise at the beginning of each episode when the Lost logo comes into view not the one from the telly? It just seems a bit stupid!! I've got about three achievements to go back and get now, but tomorrow I'm going and exchanging this for Frontlines. Either that or I'll hold on till next Friday and get Bully. Ahhh, the joy of 10 day guaranteed exchange period!

By no means a bad game, but this has the lifespan of... something with a ridiculously short lifespan.

VA1N
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm a huge Lost fan, but boy is this game ever a renter if I saw one. Seriously, completed this game in like six hours or something silly. Don't get me wrong, it's good as far as adventure games go. The addition of the gun is possibly the most pointless thing ever as there were what, three occasions where you needed to use it? And only one of those was to shoot a person LOL! The black smoke bits were kind of annoying. My only other real gripe is that for how authentic an experience this is, why is the noise at the beginning of each episode when the Lost logo comes into view not the one from the telly? It just seems a bit stupid!! I've got about three achievements to go back and get now, but tomorrow I'm going and exchanging this for Frontlines. Either that or I'll hold on till next Friday and get Bully. Ahhh, the joy of 10 day guaranteed exchange period!

By no means a bad game, but this has the lifespan of... something with a ridiculously short lifespan.

Yeah, I kind of agree. I bought it because I buy everything, but this is a rent. You can also get the GS points first play through (although pictures may need a guide).

Lord Vlad 666
03-01-2008, 01:48 AM
I really enjoyed it. I'm a huge lost fan and I think that the fans of the show will enjoy it more than other gamers.

SuperSouter
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I would give this game a 7, its not the best of games but its not terrible either. 5 is a horrible score for a really good game like this. I love lost but its still a good game.

Adam Miller
03-01-2008, 01:55 PM
That review is kack..i cant see it being below a 7 but id proabably give it an 8. If you like Lost you will like this game. :)

Dannyb0yUK
03-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Ha, you're only down the road from me Adam Miller.

I think the hard part of reviewing this game is that the reviewers have to look at it from all angles. If you want to review how good the game is in the sense of how much fun it is to play, then it's worth a 6-7. If you're a hardcore fan of the show, that bumps right up to 8-9. Remember, a lot of people who've never seen Lost would just be thinking WTF when a lot of the events in this game happen. But from the perspective of whether this game is worthy of 40/$60 of your money, then it would probably score a 3-4. This game is not value for money. Even if you don't session it in one go like I did, you'd still finish this game within two or three days. And from there comes the rental argument.

Adam Miller
03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Ha, you're only down the road from me Adam Miller.

I think the hard part of reviewing this game is that the reviewers have to look at it from all angles. If you want to review how good the game is in the sense of how much fun it is to play, then it's worth a 6-7. If you're a hardcore fan of the show, that bumps right up to 8-9. Remember, a lot of people who've never seen Lost would just be thinking WTF when a lot of the events in this game happen. But from the perspective of whether this game is worthy of 40/$60 of your money, then it would probably score a 3-4. This game is not value for money. Even if you don't session it in one go like I did, you'd still finish this game within two or three days. And from there comes the rental argument.

Yeh i mean i wouldn't play this game twice and theres no online so it cant be a 9 or anything...

Where you from then Dannyboy?

Dannyb0yUK
03-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Caterham mate, literally just up the road lol

killerharu45
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I just checked Gamespot and surprisingly it got 6.5. Still not very good but I always see Gamespot give a lower score than IGN

CriscoDisco878
03-02-2008, 12:02 AM
i think its really well done, but they did overdo a lot of things like the black smoke and those damn computer questions i couldnt ever find those out, and they tied it in way to much to the show i was kind of hoping not to replay the show. like a new island adventure was what i wanted

MopFlop
03-02-2008, 09:31 PM
dont look at what score they gave it. on gamespot i only look at the fans score bar

Bobo
03-03-2008, 01:37 AM
I would've been much more pleased with the story if it actually introduced new elements to the ongoing plot from the show. For the most part, other than a few details about this Savo guy, everything we see in the game has already been explored in the show. Not a single new location. I think it would have been great if there were questions from the show that were ONLY answered by playing this game and realizing that theres another survivor we havent seen, but, alas, most of the moments where our character is interacting with the regular "Losties" from the show, it doesn't really make sense that we wouldn't have heard about it or seen it in any of the episodes. The main thing that had me excited about this game was the description from the bonus features of Season 3 that said something like, "the game not only ties in perfectly with the show but expands on the island in ways we've never seen". Maybe i missed it during my 6 hour run through the game (1000/1000), but i can't remember anything significant that i didn't already know from the show. Anyone else?

aussiestatic
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
if you arent a lost fan you wont enjoy the game.
i love it.

Adebisi 187
03-04-2008, 03:49 AM
i absolutely love lost and thought this game was complete trash. It was painful just to play through it.

Blkmag1k
03-05-2008, 04:59 AM
5.5 is bullshit, it deserves at least an 8 in my book it was a great game and had a great ending

jackanape
03-05-2008, 03:18 PM
This game in no way deserves an 8. You are all reviewing this because you love Lost - this isn't Lost, it's merely a game based on the show and needs to be judged as a game.

Therefore - the puzzles are stupidly easy, the plot is full of holes that will only appeal to a fan (don't care if this was made for fans, it WILL get played be plenty of people who have never seen the show and they shouldn't be forced to guess the plot) and the game is ludicrously short. There is also nothing in this game that hasn't been seen a thousand times before, and nothing here (other than the graphics) has been done particularly well either.

Can you honestly say, as fans of the show, that this is a good game? Or even a good addition to the Lost universe? My gf loves the show and hated this game.

psycho harry
03-05-2008, 03:23 PM
its a 6-8 hours play though game.. without any replay value.. what are you expect !?

besides you shouldnt look at the score.. read the review instead.. !! 5.5 is a medium score.. its not bad for a game like this and king kong.. the highest scored movie games is somewhere around 8 at best.. so if you like it.. then I am glad for you.. just stop caring to much about the score thing..

SebastianSB
03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
different sites score differently, so you really can't compare their scores to the ones on other sites and call one of them bullshit. And you have to remember that all reviews are the opinions of individual people. People like different things and hate different things so you won't always agree. My advice would be to find a reviewer that you share common interests with and listen to his or her reviews more than those of others (for example I agree with Adam from Game Informer almost 100% of the time). Also, the score isn't everything. What the reviewer has to say about the game is usually much more important than some bold number they slap on it.

I feel that Assassin's creed deserved the low review scores it received. Think about it...that game was absolutely amazing for the first hour or so, but then you do the same things again, and again, and again. Almost every fight played out exactly the same in that game, and you did every single mission the exact same way, then you had another long conversation with several characters about their ideologies between each assassination...and what could you do when you got bored? go around the huge world to collect hundreds of little flags that did absolutely nothing to reward you besides the achievement points. The only variety in the game was how different each assassination target was, but in the end the actual assassinations were a very small section of the game.

Granteezy
03-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Yea they ripped it apart on their last podcast. I heard it was total garbage elsewhere as well.

Dannyb0yUK
03-05-2008, 11:50 PM
People saying it's total garbage are talking crap. It is a good game, it's just not worthy of a full retail price tag due to the fact it's way too short. I don't agree with the argument about how the game should cater for people who aren't Lost fans- what's the point of it being a Lost game then? If people want to play a game about a TV show that they've never watched then it should come as no surprise if they don't know what's going on. I've never played a CSI game, because I've never watched the show and I know I'll probably get less out of the game because of that. If I'd played 24: The Game having never watched the show, I'd just think it was a lame shooter and understandably so. But I enjoyed it more because of it's ties to the show, even if it was a godawful game (well, the interrogations were fun).