PDA

View Full Version : Why Treyarch are a failure

daninthemix
03-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I quite like the MP in COD3, but the single player is such a monumentous fuckup, particularly highlighted in Veteran.

I enjoyed COD2 and 4 on Veteran, they were always (or almost always) completely fair, even when they were tough. And best of all, you always wanted to keep going. With this, I can't count the number of times I've been bored by a checkpoint. It's just such a grind. Treyarch simply don't get it, and have no business making videogames.

Some specific examples follow. I will add to this and please feel free to add to it yourself.

- your allies LOVE committing suicide by running into your fire. Mind you, if I was in a game made by Treyarch, I'd probably want to commit suicide as well.

- I can't count the number of times I've been killed by someone I can't see. In the other games, that means they can't see you either. Not here though. Oh no.

- Treyarch fancy themselves as filmmakers, which is why they FORCE us to watch their pathetic cut scenes. They cannot be skipped, but best of all they force us to watch them when loading a save! Note to Treyarch - I've seen more dramatic filmmaking on Nickelodeon. Let it go. You're no better at filmmaking than you are at developing videogames. It's okay to be shit though. You just need to find your calling in life.

- I may be wrong, but I didn't think someone with a machine gun could hit you with every single shot from several hundred metres away. Theoretically this MAY be possible with modern day technology - such as some sort of digital feedback recoil adjuster, but isn't this supposed to be the 1940s? And aren't we fighting Nazis, not terminator robots with bullet guidance systems?

- Much of the time I simply can't move. My allies love to crowd around for a group hug, which is lovely, but causes me to explode blood and bile all over the tarmac because I can't escape the enemy fire. Could the AI be secretly fighting me from both sides I wonder?!

- The enemy respawns quicker than I can load my gun. I'm serious. A number of times, I've killed 8 enemies with the Gewer, and by the time the reload process is complete, they have ALL respawned and taken position. Is the ridiculous reload to blame or the respawn 'feature'?

- There is a house on the 9th level where they can shoot you through the windows but YOU CAN'T SHOOT THEM.

- I endlessly find myself stuck on tiny pieces of masonary. It looks a little ridiculous - sprinting across an alleyway only to get stuck on...a brick. And then shot to bits.

- Very frequently the AI on your side will appear to 'freeze' after a number of attempts at a checkpoint - and you'll suddenly realize you're completely on your own. You have to then quit the game then reload the checkpoint, or else just do it all on your own.

More to come.

xENVxGAMERSKREW
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
some of those are so freaking true, even on cod4 on shipment, bog, or even on other mp maps you can get stuck on the smallest or irrevelant things and be running in possition and when you look at the death cam it shows you running in place... so IW also messed up on that.

anyways i do hate the spawns in cod3 its basically either stay back and acomplish nothing move a little and try to do something then get killed and repeat or bum rush and hope for a miracle.

Shinobi273
03-04-2008, 10:44 PM
The cinematics are load screens, that is why you can't skip them, even when loading a save.

Not a fair fault of the game.

Darth Heyburt
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
To be fair though, this game was one of the first I've ever played where on Vetaran the AI dishes out random damage. Even when there are no enemies in view or range, you seem to take damage.

Tis Bollocks.

xENVxGAMERSKREW
03-05-2008, 05:00 AM
meh,... dont really care for cinematics... but yeah the dishing out random fire sucks specially when 2 of their shots kill u and u have to shoot em 5-10+ bullets

L1qu1dRage
03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Alrighty so i spent about a good week or 2 doing the SP campaign on Vet...I finally finished it about 2 days ago and only got the 80gs for "Winning the War" or something like that....But my Grizzled Veteran Achievement did not show up. So i checked on some websites and saw that while i was beating it I went back and did the CQC (100gs) achievement on Easy for St. Lo. Apparently that messed up my Veteran Progress which is essentially why I didn't get the 150gs for the Vet Achievement.

So early yesterday morning I restarted the game...(not a New Game) but i just started at St. Lo again on Veteran and are moving through the game again.

My Question is:
If i didn't start a new Game but i am going from the beginning to the end of the game on veteran again will i get the achievement?

daninthemix
03-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Alrighty so i spent about a good week or 2 doing the SP campaign on Vet...I finally finished it about 2 days ago and only got the 80gs for "Winning the War" or something like that....But my Grizzled Veteran Achievement did not show up. So i checked on some websites and saw that while i was beating it I went back and did the CQC (100gs) achievement on Easy for St. Lo. Apparently that messed up my Veteran Progress which is essentially why I didn't get the 150gs for the Vet Achievement.

So early yesterday morning I restarted the game...(not a New Game) but i just started at St. Lo again on Veteran and are moving through the game again.

My Question is:
If i didn't start a new Game but i am going from the beginning to the end of the game on veteran again will i get the achievement?

No, you are in for a world of pain. You have to start a NEW GAME, select Veteran difficulty and then just select 'continue' every time you resume.

L1qu1dRage
03-15-2008, 08:33 PM
ok so i did start a New Game from the very beginning...within an hour or two i was already on level 3 on vet...so i decided to get off...when i was exiting ...at the main menu i went to chapter select and they were all pictured (not gray'd out) is that good or no?

thx again,
rage

8goodking
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
You would be killed in 3 sec if you stand still in Veteran. That's crazy. I quitted as soon as I died for ten times at the first war scene because I simply can't get to cover and cover without being shot. Then I switched back to General RAAM on hardcore (Gears of War). Perhaps with COD3 Veteran in mind, I finished off RAAM in several tries. Psychological effect of comparison, I suppose.

8goodking
03-19-2008, 06:18 AM
To be fair, CoD3 is a thrill ride on normal difficulty! Don't make it like it is a bad game inside out.

ZZBroncos
03-19-2008, 06:51 AM
I totally agree, COD2 was hell, but it was manageable. When I was in Florida a couple of years ago, I beat COD2 (There was a fire near, and with allergies, couldn't go outside). Then I popped in COD3... then I popped the disk into the garbage disposal and the rest is history. Its just ridiculous how hard it is. NOTHING I have ever played is that hard or shitty