PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Konami regarding future DDR games

JiveT
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Please design your games to be played on the dance pad first and foremost.

Please do not let the player choose songs that make it impossible to achieve whatever challenge (Quest or Challenge mode) it is you want them to complete. It would be like playing a 100 level game of Contra and having to choose the exact right weapon for each level out of a choice of 20 or so with no clue to what that weapon might be. It's ridiculous.

That's pretty much it. I like everything else about the game but when you read advice like "mash the buttons crazily to get this achievement" it totally destroys what IMHO is the core of the game: Dancing along to songs to improve your rhythm, dexterity, and coordination using the dance pad.

If you don't know what songs allow you to pass the challenges you are left constantly getting near the goal always wondering if it's because you didn't get all perfects or if it's because the songs are incapable of generating the necessary number of points in the first place.

III Vesper III
03-21-2008, 02:57 AM
I don't understand why you would post this here. The things you are complaining about has explanations.

Please design your games to be played on the dance pad first and foremost.

So everybody who does not have the room to place a dance pad, Should get the shaft? What about people who just enjoy the music or don't want to spend the extra money upfront. What if they want to experiment then upgrade. This would be a poor marketing choice for Konami if they didn't allow controller use. What they need to design is a more efficient pad for the Xbox 360 with better response.

Please do not let the player choose songs that make it impossible to achieve whatever challenge (Quest or Challenge mode) it is you want them to complete. It would be like playing a 100 level game of Contra and having to choose the exact right weapon for each level out of a choice of 20 or so with no clue to what that weapon might be. It's ridiculous.

I don't really understand what you were trying to say here. Challenge mode has no flaws for picking the wrong song... so I am not sure why that was mentioned. Quest mode in DDR1 had some flaws but it was pretty straight forward once you understood what you were supposed to do. If it wanted you to have many freeze arrows, then look at the graph beside each song and choose accordingly. If it required you to defeat another dancer, pay attention to the amount of dancers you have and if you play low end difficulty songs, you simply have to get better. It is called quest mode because it is somewhat of a huge experience in which its supposed to take you a LONG time, Ofcourse if you are already experienced you can beat it in one sitting.

That's pretty much it. I like everything else about the game but when you read advice like "mash the buttons crazily to get this achievement" it totally destroys what IMHO is the core of the game: Dancing along to songs to improve your rhythm, dexterity, and coordination using the dance pad.

If you don't know what songs allow you to pass the challenges you are left constantly getting near the goal always wondering if it's because you didn't get all perfects or if it's because the songs are incapable of generating the necessary number of points in the first place.

Yes the game is flawed in which people can use a turbo controller, since the arrows don't have a tight setting. But who cares though? they will never reach 1000. Nobody who uses a turbo controller can get it. There are much harder challenges in both these games that a turbo controller cannot do.

Over 70% of this forums community takes the easy street on every game because thats just how it is. This is one of the only games that there is no shortcut to complete the whole thing. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean its flawed.

edwin89
03-12-2009, 03:00 AM
I heard u can get up to 900 gamerscore in any ddr game with the turbo control, hte thing is, is that idk where to buy one lol

Madtown B
07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately, all you get for getting the cheeves honestly with the dance pad is bragging rights. Any fat/lazy/uncoordinated person can mash buttons on a controller. I can understand why you would be annoyed that people can use standard controllers if you are pro on the dance pad.