PDA

View Full Version : How do they go so fast in the speedruns?

Hellknight79
04-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Hey guys, there must be something I'm just not getting. In the speedrun videos how the hell do they go so fast?

When you hold down and build up the spin even if I tap the button as fast as I can and Sonic makes the high pitched revved up noise he still doesn't seem to take off as fast, or maintain his speed. The guy that does the videos seem to gain speed when I would lose it going over flat terrain or even in the middle of a jump.

And then when he loses speed he seems to just stop on a dime and do a build up spin again, if I have the slightest forward momentum pushing down just makes you roll (slowly).

Can anyone tell me the trick to this? I know that his time through the levels is also good because he knows which route, where to jump etc, but the other stuff would be helpful for getting the timed achievements.
I feel silly asking about the controls on a game that uses one button, lol:confused:

vmu
04-03-2008, 01:20 AM
well, most of them just use one charge, or they are using an emulator, saving every millisecond for fast time, stopping on a dime can not be done without an emulator without wasting precious time, me and stanski (sonic 2 god) tried to do it on a genesi but no luck, though real skill is involved with spin dash placement, for your achievement if your having real trouble just play through a stage once, then speed run it from a save point to see what is coming ahead, i hope this helped :)

Hellknight79
04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Aww, so we can't do it on 360 :( oh well. Thank you for the reply, though.:)

FireRazor
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
They're mildly tool assited, those times are really close to some of the older common times for people who would fo for a STH2 Speed run. Just remember the route, and jump points; those are the keys to beating the game faster.

Mad Serg
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Stupid question - how to make sonic spin and move faster? I can't complete aqua level =(

Rodni Demental
04-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Well it's theoretically possible to move that fast with out being "tool assisted". Keeping speed is all about momentum and knowing the levels well enough to not crash and loose that momentum.

Robioto
09-23-2009, 02:48 AM
I class myself as a Sonic veteran but the speedruns on the net are streets ahead of what I can do.