PDA

View Full Version : Painfully long cutscenes

godless_commie
04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
As I write this I'm sitting through a very long winded Assassin's Creed cutscene. I really hate how they setup cutscenes for this game. I was a good idea to have the glitches that allow you to see a different view and all, but they're so boring the second or third time through! At least Metal Gear let you skip the dialog and scenes if you wanted to.

DrizztDourden43
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I agree...The assassins creed ones weren't THAT bad though. I think every game should let you skip through cut scenes...at least the second time you play if they REALLY want us to see it. I have been playing the LEGO Star Wars games lately, and those cut scenes just make me want to rip the spine out of some poor innocent child after the 3rd or 4th times.

godless_commie
04-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I agree...The assassins creed ones weren't THAT bad though. I think every game should let you skip through cut scenes...at least the second time you play if they REALLY want us to see it. I have been playing the LEGO Star Wars games lately, and those cut scenes just make me want to rip the spine out of some poor innocent child after the 3rd or 4th times.

Luckily LEGOs can't talk, so you don't have to listen to Hayden Christensen's horrible voice.

Impulse
04-12-2008, 08:57 PM
As I write this I'm sitting through a very long winded Assassin's Creed cutscene. I really hate how they setup cutscenes for this game. I was a good idea to have the glitches that allow you to see a different view and all, but they're so boring the second or third time through! At least Metal Gear let you skip the dialog and scenes if you wanted to.

because they have the achievement for the glitches, that's probably why it won't let you skip them, and it's obviously been programmed that way..

v_thorne
04-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah, that's when you get up for intermission though :p
I didn't mind the Assassin's ones though, I loved that game honestly.

I just finished Lost: Via Domus and those cutscenes were kinda brutal and annoying just because I didn't really feel like watching them. Especially near the end, and they get longer. They weren't BAD... but you know.

Bomber v4
04-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Im currently working on this game and some of these cut scenes are just to long for me to handle. I like the fact that you get an achievement for looking for glitches, but man them cut scenes are long.

aussie_warrior117
04-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Even though GUN was a good game some of the cut-scenes were just felt like they were forced. Except for the execution Old West cliche ones, they were cool :D

DwayneDays
04-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Eternal Sonata had some of the most annoyingly bad voice acting ever

Augustus
04-13-2008, 02:58 AM
I only voluntarily watch Metal Gear Solid cut scenes, so I'm probably not the most qualified guy to answer this question, but there were a few times when jumping out of window seemed like the logical way to avoid the Fuzion Frenzy 2 cut scenes.

artvandel4y
04-13-2008, 05:29 AM
I think this is a problem with videogame writing as a whole. Most videogames have plot as an afterthought, so when there is something even close to profound or intelligent in a videogame it is celebrated. And shame on anyone who makes me watch their cutscenes or non interactive portions that take place right after checkpoints.
If you ever watch old action movies and look at the set pieces, and look at the dialogue, and the plot twists, everything is so predictable and hackneyed. And games are exactly the same way. You know exactly what to do with a red barrel. You know that wise mentor of yours is dying soon or the final boss in every RPG. You know there's only one way to kill that giant monster boss. Plots and level designs in videogames have gotten depressingly repetitive, and cutscenes show this best because all gameplay is removed.

FlyBoy120586
04-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Not really cutscenes, but I hated the walking scenes in Gears of War.. i got to the point where I don't play the levels with a lot of those scenes anymore.
Not that I really play Gears anymore anyways... but still

synister EFFECT
04-13-2008, 05:46 AM
I think this is a problem with videogame writing as a whole. Most videogames have plot as an afterthought, so when there is something even close to profound or intelligent in a videogame it is celebrated. And shame on anyone who makes me watch their cutscenes or non interactive portions that take place right after checkpoints.
If you ever watch old action movies and look at the set pieces, and look at the dialogue, and the plot twists, everything is so predictable and hackneyed. And games are exactly the same way. You know exactly what to do with a red barrel. You know that wise mentor of yours is dying soon or the final boss in every RPG. You know there's only one way to kill that giant monster boss. Plots and level designs in videogames have gotten depressingly repetitive, and cutscenes show this best because all gameplay is removed.

I don't usually guess endings to games and stuff, but imagine the games without storylines. That would be like,
"Hey what's Halo about?"
"O, it's a guy in a suit that goes around killing aliens."
"Is That all?"
"I guess, there's not much to say, considering it doesn't tell you anything."

So I'm glad there are storylines and cutscenes, not only because of that but also because they usually are the main places you get to see awesome graphics. But long ones are kinda annoying, especially after checkpoints like you said, but I guess we just have to live with it.

Khaos
04-13-2008, 06:20 AM

I totally agree, I sincerely hope the next Lego game comes with a button to skip the cut scene... grrrrr... if the achievements make you play through the game 4 times, dammit, only make me watch it once. Hell, let me skip it the first time too.... lol

MajinFro
04-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I totally agree, I sincerely hope the next Lego game comes with a button to skip the cut scene... grrrrr... if the achievements make you play through the game 4 times, dammit, only make me watch it once. Hell, let me skip it the first time too.... lol

I love me some cutscenes but I get pissed off about the forced ones like GoW's walking right after a checkpoint in an area you will possibly die more than a couple times in.

daninthemix
04-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I was thinking this eexact thing recently after playing 2 games.

Kameo - keeps interrupting the level with short cutscenes that are very disconcerting when you're in the middle of about 30 enemies.

Shrek - endless unskippable cutscenes.

They should always let you skip them or turn them off.

LethalRope
04-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Glitches only made it a tad more interesting, Mass effect cutscenes are annoying but then i realised you can skip them :). Dieing and having to go through a load of chat again was because frustrating.

LegitLostLegend
04-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I was playing Turok, and I just hate it when you can't skip a cutscene. And it felt like it was going forever

SCHENK 911
04-13-2008, 04:36 PM
The only cutscenes from assassins that I hated was how if you loaded the game back toy our memory block and you saved right after you got there, you had to listen to mualim talk forever.

But if the scene has story info or is exciting I have no complaints about it :)

darthmushu
04-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I hated when you died in Lost and had to watch the whole intro to the level over again. And whoever mentioned Lego Star Wars...I feel your pain man. I had dreams that I was in a lego universe.

DrizztDourden43
04-13-2008, 05:40 PM
I only voluntarily watch Metal Gear Solid cut scenes, so I'm probably not the most qualified guy to answer this question, but there were a few times when jumping out of window seemed like the logical way to avoid the Fuzion Frenzy 2 cut scenes.

Wow! I had almost forgot about how terrible those were as well! Not to mention that the gameplay did not make up for the cut scenes in the slightest. I am still an avid Fuzion Frenzy 1 fan, but that second game was one of the worst I had played in a while.

And no joke darth, those scenes are stuck in my brain. The fact that they don't talk at all and just go uh oh ooohh really pisses me off too. (But everyone is right, it IS still better than Hayden Christiansen I will admit. That kid sucks.)

Keano
04-13-2008, 05:43 PM
The longest cutscenes are in Lost Oddysey. At my first save point I had only had 1 fight (which was intergrated into the cutscene) and it said I had being playing 1 hour.

DrizztDourden43
04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I also must mention that Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii was THE WORST I have ever had. The first time I played that game it was 1hr and 45min, and all I had done is ride a horse to try and get some damn sheep in a barn, and shoot a bee hive.

frenzybird
04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree to Assassin's Creed's cutscenes. Especially when I finished the game, turned off the 360 and started it again a couple days later, it plays the very last cutscene AND THE CREDITS again for me.

Also the cutscenes in Devil May Cry 4 are long as fuck, luckily you can skip them though.

SuperSouter
04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Assassins creed was alright for me actually. Eternal Sonata however...50min final cutscene? > <

doomey
04-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Enchanted Arms.... nuff said.

DrizztDourden43
04-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Enchanted Arms.... nuff said.

haha, that one doesn't even count. I didn't know anybody played that game long enough to get to a cut scene. Officially THE worst game ever made...I have expressed this view WAY too many times in these forums.

Buckswana
04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Not really cutscenes, but I hated the walking scenes in Gears of War.. i got to the point where I don't play the levels with a lot of those scenes anymore.
Not that I really play Gears anymore anyways... but still
Yeah, I was just playing this yesterday, and thinking that they were annoying. Some of the cut-scenes you can skip (start and end of acts), but the little ones in-game you can't. I like cut scenes that are well done, but you should always have the option to skip them if they expect games to have replayability. Some games are brutal, especially when it's right after a checkpoint so each time you die you have to sit through it again. (I know, I know-stop dying!)

njdevils17
04-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Assassin's Creed had some brutal cut scenes especially in the beginning of the game. I don't mind long cut scenes as long as they're interesting and you have the option to skip them because some people really love watching cut scenes.

Sprostini
04-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Eternal Sonata had some of the most annoyingly bad voice acting ever

You mean worse than Blue Dragon?! Maru Maro actually made me want to cry then die...

IMO Eternal sonata was pretty good in all ways really:woop:

godless_commie
04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I hated when you died in Lost and had to watch the whole intro to the level over again.

I had the same problem in AC, 'cause if you're trying to do an assassination on a primary target and screw up, if you reload you'll have to watch the incredibly long intro they give you of the target :mad:

doomey
04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
haha, that one doesn't even count. I didn't know anybody played that game long enough to get to a cut scene. Officially THE worst game ever made...I have expressed this view WAY too many times in these forums.
After the school section, which was the worst introduction to a game, eh eh ever, after one of the lead charachters snuffs it (ak spoiler!!!) or does he, I found myself maddly hooked to the game.
That was until finally the skipping of mountains and mountains of text got too much for me, just like this forum really ;)

zlionsfan
04-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Glitches only made it a tad more interesting, Mass effect cutscenes are annoying but then i realised you can skip them :). Dieing and having to go through a load of chat again was because frustrating.
The cutscenes in Mass Effect themselves didn't bother me as much as when you'd occasionally have your weapons stowed or the wrong ones equipped, or you'd be facing completely the wrong way or stuff like that, so you have to undo whatever it did before you can start fighting, which can be a problem if you are facing biotics.

It's just annoying - not like you'd lose an hour's progress if you died - but still. At least you can skip through them easily. With practice, it's almost like X X wait up-right A X X X wait up-right A X X wait. (Down-right if you're the renegade type.)

Eternal Sonata's cutscenes were part of the reason I sent it back to GameFly. It's a nice story, but it takes so long to get anywhere ...