PDA

View Full Version : Fallout?

Evarist0 X
04-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Ok so I've been seeing all this news about Fallout 3, but I've never played this game before. But since I've heard good things about the game, and Bethesda Softworks is part of it I'm interested. So I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what the game is about?

So far I know that it has to do with you living in some kind of underground base that protects groups of people from I dunno what. xD But then you need to go out to find something, I think it's water but I'm not sure.

quidyg
04-14-2008, 10:29 PM
i've never played it either but i think the reason everyones in bunkers is due to nuclear war and the amount of radiation everywhere. you may find out some of the answers your looking for in the fallout 3 forum

radar616
04-15-2008, 03:51 PM
I think you have to find your dad or something but it looks really good.

Ceryino63
04-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Fallout 2 was a fantastic game... i'm sure you can find it for under $10 somewhere for your PC.
Even to this day, i know a few of my friends and I load it up and play it... obviously the graphics are a bit...outdated hehe, but the gameplay is solid

v_thorne
04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not 100% on this but I'm sure you can find some already released "game info" under Fall Out 3 in the unreleased sections of the games (just scroll down the forum)
Other than that I'm not sure, I didn't play the first 2 but this one looks awesome. All I know is that it's in post-nuclear/apocolyptic times.

o0EVIL0o x360a
04-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Think about Fallout like this... World War II was ended by nuclear warfare and the US was decimated. A small amount of survivors escaped to underground vaults which doubled as nuclear fallout shelter and began to rebuild society. After 100 years of living in seclusion in these vaults scattered around the U.S., people began to emerge and see what was left of our country. Organized civilization is extinct at this point, and radiation is everywhere. On the surface, raiders and bandits prey on the weak... and some people in serious radioactive zones and animals have been drastically changed by the radiation making them much like mutants.

Technology has continued to evolve, so you'll be seeing some laser type weapons as well as primitive WWII guns like the AK-47 or B.A.R. (Browning auto rifle). A small group of vault members have also emerged with advanced powered armor technology and weapons and have taken justice into thier own hands, they go by the name Brotherood of Steel. (Which you'll see on the Fallout 3 advertisements) They deal thier own brand of judgement to raiders and the like. There are also primitive people who have somehow survived the fallout and were reduced to tribal indian types with spears and the like. There is a small glimmer of our old society left of important people who escaped into the vaults like some government officials, but they have no power on the surface at all.

Currency has been reduced to trading bottlecaps as the american dollar means nothing at this point. Mostly people just trade goods and weapons with each other. Small towns have sprung up and certain cities were not completely wiped out, so people have started to reinhabit those areas. These places are mostly gang-controlled as they have been taken and held by force. You are a vault citizen who is venturing out into the wasteland to find his way amonst all of this chaos.

The original games relied heavily on RPG aspects like the legendary S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system which balanced your character by making giving him Dungeons and Dragon's type stats like Charisma and Intelligence which affect how you communicate with other people and what kinds of dialogue options are available to you. Try making your character have the bare minimum intelligence and see how he can barely form a sentence but he can take an unbelievable amount of damage and smash enemies with one hit. Also in addition to the stats, there are perks you can select like Action Boy which increase the amount of things you can perform in a single turn. (Yes Fallout was a turn-based combat game and it worked wonderfully for the type of game it is) Other perks can reduce the amount of action points it takes to reload your weapon or give you better communication options or even allow you to carry more weight. In addition to perks and stats, there are skills like firearms(accuracy)... diplomacy(dialogue)... melee combat... medic (minor injuries)... doctor (serious injuries)... etc. etc... These skills affect your success rate when you try to perform certain actions.

Fallout allowed you to aim at specific body parts during combat like the eyes which would decrease accuracy, or legs to cripple movement and the like. And also allowed you to hire mercenaries to aid you in battle... for a price. And always the beloved "Dogmeat" which is just a dog that joined your party of you fed him and was not very durable, challenging you to keep him alive. As an RPG, you could pave your own way in the fallout world. There was a main objective you replace the water chip for your vault which supplied everyone with clean water, and the game gave you a loose time limit. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for the player) getting the water chip was not as simple as they made it out to be and getting one would put you through a real rollercoaster ride with TONS of side quests and optional objectives for you to explore. You could have experienced 15% of the game while nabbing the water chip.

Basically Fallout is the perfect game. ;)

Evarist0 X
04-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Wow from what I read it looks like it has a really great story, especially cus I love survival games xD. Thx for me info, I think I'm gonna buy the game when it comes out.

VGA Dark Mac
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I've played it but it's been a really loooong time so I decided to buy it because ever since that teaser trailer came out I've been itching to play the first two again. This time I'm keeping my copies of Fallout and Fallout 2, precious!

o0EVIL0o x360a
04-17-2008, 06:08 AM
I've played it but it's been a really loooong time so I decided to buy it because ever since that teaser trailer came out I've been itching to play the first two again. This time I'm keeping my copies of Fallout and Fallout 2, precious!

Too true, if they released them on the 360 I would even play them again for achievements. ;) I hope they don't make the ones for part 3 as crazy as they could make them...

VGA Dark Mac
04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Too true, if they released them on the 360 I would even play them again for achievements. ;) I hope they don't make the ones for part 3 as crazy as they could make them...

Well that's because you're an achievement whore. I hope they don't do crazy achievements either, challenging is one thing but i hope none are too brutal because they sure could make them that way.

VGA Dark Mac
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Fallout 2 was a fantastic game... i'm sure you can find it for under $10 somewhere for your PC.
Even to this day, i know a few of my friends and I load it up and play it... obviously the graphics are a bit...outdated hehe, but the gameplay is solid

I got Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics for $25 including shipping. If anyone wants to by it try amazon or half.com. Just make sure it comes with the patches, the install for Fallout 2 can be quite buggy without them.

Petturi
04-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Fallout series is also known for its graphic violence (itīs possible to kill every single character in Fallout 2, even children) and few well known voice actors have voiced the games (like Ron Perlman, Richard Dean Anderson, R. Lee Ermey, Liam Neeson, CCH Pounder..).

Royle
04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
It's made by the same people who made oblivion so it must be good! This is going to be a must buy for me. I watched the trailer last night it looks good!