PDA

View Full Version : With GTA IV here, the media are at it again!

[Waggly Bean]
04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7366547.stm

The BBC websites front page story is about the debate for video game violence once again.

"The Byron report found, and it's our experience and our finding as well, that games and games classification is not as well understood as film classification or DVDs."
The Byron report, having been conducted over the last 6 months, has found this out? Well woopity-doo! I could of told them that. This is hardly news. Having worked in a video-game shop, I can say that the amount of parents we had coming in to buy their kid GTA3/San Andreas was ridiculous. The conversation would always go something like this:

Parent: Is this the one you want?
8 year old kid nods.
Parent: I'll take this please.
Me: You know it's an 18 rated game?
Parent (shrugs): Yeah, but they'll understand it.
Me: You realise the game is full of violence and contains scenes with prostitution?
Parent (shocked): Prostitution? Really?
Me: Yes.
Parent (to kid): Well you're not having that then!

Funny how they never cared about the shooting, beating up, running over etc etc, always the prostitution that gets them!

Anyway, just wanted to point out how it's typical that the media is covering the same old thing over again. How annoying! :mad:

Gm Godfather
04-29-2008, 11:59 AM
ROFL, :)

It makes you wonder what is going on in people's heads.....

she haunts me
04-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Like Rockstar really cares. The public always blows it out of proportion. Saying a teen killed someone because of a video game, etc., yada yada.

It's not the game it's the person. I've played all the GTA's, but that doesn't make me want to kill someone. It's getting old, and I think we can all agree on that.

But Rockstar seems to poke fun at the hot coffee mod quite often in GTAIV throughout parts of the game. They even called an achievement warm coffee.

[Waggly Bean]
04-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Just thought I'd add that it's interesting (and a bit sick) how the main story, covering a massive area of the home site, is regarding videogame violence and is titled "Are the kids all right?" when the story about the Austrian paedophile dad only covers about one twentieth of the space on the page that the main story does.

Now, to me, The story about the Austrian seems a lot more important, and therefore a lot more like real news. Horrible, but it's actually real! So which should really be titled "Are the kids all right?"

bAteseh
04-29-2008, 12:44 PM
That Dr. Byron is pretty hot though.

Asian47
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
That Dr. Byron is pretty hot though.

Well, you have "intresting" tastes....

I'm sure Rockstar is so used to all of this drama, they don't even care.

Gigapotts
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Bah i'm fed up of all this rubbish, if you suspect your kids are going to take games too literally and murder people, don't let them play- simple as that.

ShaunMichael80
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
I am not from the UK, maybe you can explain something to me.

How come violence,murder is ok, but prostitiution is not?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

*Confused* :confused:

Gigapotts
04-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I am not from the UK, maybe you can explain something to me.

How come violence,murder is ok, but prostitiution is not?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

*Confused* :confused: I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.. ;)

Telexen
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Queue Hillary Clinton spewing crap about video game content, again...as if she wasn't already completely out of touch with the reality of the real problems in the U.S..

Sir Xazor
04-29-2008, 05:03 PM
I want to get job for game design at rock star because i dont give a fuck about public's reaction toward the game.

:woop:

muters
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
What gets me about this whole thing, is that the people who rally against adult games never seem to want to actually do anything themselves to help things, they just want whatever they don't agree with to be censored or banned. Kids playing violent games isn't like them sneaking away to listen to a CD or watch a 90 minute film - even the shortest games these days take 7-8 hours to finish. Fair enough, somehow a kid might get hold of a game like GTA IV (not that that's a fault of the developers/publishers/retailers) but if you're so ignorant of your children that they can disappear for as long as it takes to play a modern video game, you've only yourself to blame if they get up to things you don't want them to.

If someone doesn't want their kids playing violent games, they should get off their arse and make sure they're not. Aside from the game, where would a kid get 200+ for a console from? Who else but their parents? Would you buy your kids a DVD player and then never bother to check if 'I Spit on Your Grave' was in their collection?

iNSANiTY
04-29-2008, 07:24 PM
What gets me about this whole thing, is that the people who rally against adult games never seem to want to actually do anything themselves to help things, they just want whatever they don't agree with to be censored or banned. Kids playing violent games isn't like them sneaking away to listen to a CD or watch a 90 minute film - even the shortest games these days take 7-8 hours to finish. Fair enough, somehow a kid might get hold of a game like GTA IV (not that that's a fault of the developers/publishers/retailers) but if you're so ignorant of your children that they can disappear for as long as it takes to play a modern video game, you've only yourself to blame if they get up to things you don't want them to.

If someone doesn't want their kids playing violent games, they should get off their arse and make sure they're not. Aside from the game, where would a kid get 200+ for a console from? Who else but their parents? Would you buy your kids a DVD player and then never bother to check if 'I Spit on Your Grave' was in their collection?

I actually bought my own 360 and I dont have a job. I sold most of my xbox games and my xbox just to try and get a 360 and I did.

muters
04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
But where did you get the money to buy your Xbox and games in the first place? I mean, if you're too young to have a job or claim benefits or anything?

Sorry, don't mean to make it personal there. :) But how does a kid afford a console and games if they don't have a form of income of their own, unless someone helps them?

Da_moopintot
04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
it is insanely annoying how paranoid parents are about gta
i could be playing it , and say it was another game and they would be fine
but if i actually say the name grand theft auto its an instant no, just because the media blows it out of proportion so much.

UberViking
04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Isn't it against the Bill of Rights to ban a game "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness"?

Cyrex
04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
while parents pull the whole "while it made my kid violent and caused him to ignore things he should really be focusing on"

i think that this is complete Bull shit. Parents should research a game if it is rated M before they let their kids buy it, i have gotten to the point where my parents don't care because i am old enough to play any game. When i was 8 years old though i was not allowed to even play a game that was rated M. the first rated M game that i played was Halo 1 for PC and i was 12. Before that i was not allowed to play them at all. But it is just as much the parents fault as the kids

cORnDogZ
04-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Some parent is always gonna need a scapegoat for their bad parenting, so this will never end. ;)

Ryot Control
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
You'll like this one. I was 5 minutes late to this one, but I tasted the pepper spray in the air.

http://gamepolitics.com/2008/04/30/crime-file-crook-jacks-gta-iv-has-real-world-intro-to-jail/

run ita charlie
05-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Some parent is always gonna need a scapegoat for their bad parenting, so this will never end. ;)

I don't think its fair how you guys blame parents for their kids. Its not like parents can keep tabs on their kids 24/7. Also, it doesn't take a parent to raise a child, it takes a community.

Anyways, I'm not surprised the media scrambled for faster than vultures on a carcass. I'm just surprised that they didn't do it any quicker.

Cheezbrgr
05-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I saw the exact same thing in EB games.
My parents always get taken by sex scenes too =X IDK why.
But here, when you are 15, you can buy it no parents needed.

Nico_89
05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
This ridiculous media's massive attack happened here in Italy too...so don't worry guys! We're all in the same conditions! ;-)

Pointless Dan
05-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I worked in a high street retailer in the UK and one incident sticks in my head which was a lady buying GTA 3 for a 12-15 year old. I told her the content of the game and she refused to buy it for him. A day later she came back, took the game and bought it at the till upstairs. This, in my opinion, outlines the problem with the computer games industry. Parents in general are too ignorant of the industry to care about the certification.

quidyg
05-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Damn, i'm getting this over the next week or so and i have a really bad feeling that they are going to ban it before i get it. if they do i'm going to go on a killing spree and i'd like to see them blame that on GTA

Evil Bubba JoJo
05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah I was watching the news and the thing they were reporting on is the fact you can get drunk and drive like that was the worst thing in the game its ok kids to kill mame do Drugs but the worst thing you can do is Drive Drunk Dont get me wrong I am against Drunk Driving but the way the media attacks it makes no sense what so ever and on the Parental part Ive grown up with a mom who plays more games than me and played games with me so she had always Monitored what I played and checked what was wrong or right for me with her judgement and not the Medias like a parent should

a_correa4
05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
i cant believe this, its only a game!!!!!!!!!!

cORnDogZ
05-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't think its fair how you guys blame parents for their kids. Its not like parents can keep tabs on their kids 24/7. Also, it doesn't take a parent to raise a child, it takes a community.

Anyways, I'm not surprised the media scrambled for faster than vultures on a carcass. I'm just surprised that they didn't do it any quicker.

I'm not necessarily blaming parents in general, but it always seems like it's parents who have an "agenda" of "protecting" their kids from games like this that are the real trouble makers. I just wish that parents that turn this into their "agenda" would spend more time with their kids rather than spending countless hours fighting for their views on "freedom of speech" rights. It wouldn't be their problem if they didn't want it to be.

There's a certain point when parents can only do so much, but when they turn around and sue a game company/music company/alcohol company/movie company/gun manufacturer/etc, because their kid did somethin wrong, like pullin some GTA gangsta stuff, or drank themself to death. That's bad parenting on their part imo, they coulda tried to do an intervention, because no matter what they say, the signs had always been there. That's why I said video games are a scapegoat for bad parenting.

Moral---> Spend more time with your kids, Teach them right from wrong, DON'T blame someone/something(Games, Music, Movies, it don't matter what they wanna use there are too many to name) for their problems other than the kid that did it or bad parenting in some cases ;)

cORnDogZ
05-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Damn, i'm getting this over the next week or so and i have a really bad feeling that they are going to ban it before i get it. if they do i'm going to go on a killing spree and i'd like to see them blame that on GTA
If you live in the US, like me, they technically can't ban it cuz that's unconstitutional, but they managed to pass the Patriot Act, so it really wouldn't surprise me if they did. Land of the Free huh? :woop: