PDA

View Full Version : xRockwilderx's Gallery

xRockwilderx
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
First things first, thank you very much for taking the time to check out my meager gallery! I got started using the GIMP three days ago an so far I love it.

I wanted to start messing with it a few months ago but didn't have the time to put into it. Recently I started learning HTML to hopefully get myself into a career so I am learning the GIMP to build buttons an other pics, etc. for the sites. My cheap way of getting out of buying Photoshop.

Enough with the blah blah already, the top one is what I came up with the first day and the next one down I did on my second day. I need constructive criticism if you're willing to give it and thanks once again for checkin out my gallery! I will post more as I bust them out! :D

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii262/xRockwilderx/1stSigx360a.png
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii262/xRockwilderx/kindanaughtyblend21.png
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii262/xRockwilderx/PinkAnimeGirlbackgrounded2.png
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii262/xRockwilderx/Doom.png

xRockwilderx
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Reserved for additions...

Skillet
04-29-2008, 07:23 PM
No lighting, no depth, no flow, the style doesn't match the render.... I could go on.

But they look like you tried and I guess that's what matters. I think you're doing yourself and injustice by skipping Photoshop. Gimp is not serving you well.

Anyway, I guess the normal adjustments apply, lighting and depth, for starters.

Lighting can be trickky, especially with those flat backgrounds and renders. So, no lighting is almost good in the case of those signatures.

As for depth, try blurring parts of the background and sharpening the focal points of the renders.

I see you have a border on the second one, nice start. It's needed on the first though.

xRockwilderx
04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
No lighting, no depth, no flow, the style doesn't match the render.... I could go on.

But they look like you tried and I guess that's what matters. I think you're doing yourself and injustice by skipping Photoshop. Gimp is not serving you well.

Anyway, I guess the normal adjustments apply, lighting and depth, for starters.

Lighting can be trickky, especially with those flat backgrounds and renders. So, no lighting is almost good in the case of those signatures.

As for depth, try blurring parts of the background and sharpening the focal points of the renders.

I see you have a border on the second one, nice start. It's needed on the first though.

Thank you very much! This is my work after just two days at it without any previous experience with any of these types of programs. I'm really enjoying it so far though. I don't really know how to much on it yet. Not sure how to change an adjust hardly anything yet as well lol. If you know of any tut's or anything that might help me figure things out an make them much better anything would be highly appreciated!

I'm somewhat lost as to flow, style an such so far. I hope this is just a phase lol.

The main reason I'm not using Photoshop is the price. i just don't have any money to throw at programs atm. I'm sure eventually I'll pick it up.

Yea that first one was really needing a border. I forgot to save the first sig as a .xcf but I might remake another version of it later on.

Thank you very much for truly lettin me know my work sucks so far. I hate when people are afraid to voice their true opinions. Anything else ya might wanna add would be great too. I just added my newest one, lemme know what ya think!

loren83
04-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm by no means the best at this but I will say that these are a great start. I just started using photoshop last week so I understand what you are going through. I really like your first one though I'm not sure who it is, but keep up the good work and you will get the hang of it.

Skillet
04-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Flow is the direction of your signature. The way it "moves". It's all very... weird. Since, it can't move anyway... you get the idea.

Like my current signature. The flow goes from the bottom left to the top right.

As for style, you have this kind of chaos thing going on. There's no flow the the effects you used and it's very flat.

Now for tutorials, I wouldn't have a clue. You could try using elements from photoshop tutorials on Gimp but it could be a pain sorting everything out. I don't use Gimp so I don't where you'd find gimp tutorials.

You could try searching google for them though.

xRockwilderx
04-30-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm by no means the best at this but I will say that these are a great start. I just started using photoshop last week so I understand what you are going through. I really like your first one though I'm not sure who it is, but keep up the good work and you will get the hang of it. Heck yea it's real foreign to me but slowly things dawn on me an I get the hang of things, slowly lol. The render I got from planetrenders. It was used in a tut I've been tryin to finish, but it really is cool. I'm not sure who it is either haha.

@Skillet Thank you very much bud, I will take all that into consideration an try to put some real thought into my next one. I'll make sure I really pay attention to what you have said an be more critical as to what render I use as well.

Ya think I might have cluttered the third one a bit too much? I really liked the original background with just the purple/yellow layered kanji. I was lookin for some bamboo but none of the brushes I got worked out. Sure wish I could reduce an rotate brushes lol.

EDIT: Got my new Doom sig up, lemme know what ya think! I spent a lot more time on this one I think an tried my best to get some continuity into the piece. That was my first attempt at a C4D as well. I should have probably looked at a tut but I will soon enough.