PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV are you 18??

sir gibo
05-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Some of me mates who are 16-17 all have GTA well i am 18 and i just wont to know if you all are or did you get a family member to buy it for you??? :drunk

OK not just for GTA do you buy games that you are to young for like viking..

i have read some of the comments and most people who do have the game are under the age that you have to be strange... i made this thread for research as am doing games development level 3 so i have to know this stuff lmao.

anyway i will confess when i was younger and i wonted to buy say GTA vice city i had to clean like the complete house for my mum to go buy it for me!! lmao

P.S i do have more achievements for GTA i just have not been on live for ages.

knockton55
05-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm 16, I hope I donts get arrested for this

JD FTW
05-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I am 17 :eek:

v_thorne
05-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Firstly, I think this should be postd in the GTA4 forum.
Secondly, when I was 16 and 17 I was only carded for ID once, I don't remember what I was buying, but it was only because their manager was in the store and it was at EB. Generally I find most anywhere EB Games, Wal-Mart and Gamestop don't give a shit. Especially Toys R Us.

xxEquilibriumxx
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Just recently i was carded for buying Viking. I'm 24 I was very surprised.

Ashz0r
05-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Just recently i was carded for buying Viking. I'm 24 I was very surprised.

I'm 19 and don't look any younger then 18 and I had to show I.D for a 15.. I was very pissed off with the guy lmao. When I showed him my Driving Licence he was like oh erm sorry about that. lmao

sir gibo
05-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Firstly, I think this should be postd in the GTA4 forum. lol true but it is not just for GTA should of said that sorry! :)

Deyankees1
05-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I bought it myself but I'm 18. So yea but I did buy it for a friend which is 16.

Pez
05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't even have the god damn game yet!!! :(

For other 18-rated games though, I managed to buy Viking myself without being carded. That was in Gamestation.

I got carded for Condemned 2 though, so I got my dad to buy it. Same goes for Stranglehold too.

I'm 17 but consider myself mature enough to be playing 18 rated games. Plus the parents don't seem to mind either aslong as I'm the one paying for them. :p

JD FTW
05-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm 17 but consider myself mature enough to be playing 18 rated games. Plus the parents don't seem to mind either aslong as I'm the one paying for them. :p

Exactly, if we earned the money for them then its our choice if we buy them

she haunts me
05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't even have the god damn game yet!!! :(

I was wondering why I haven't seen you playing it Pez. ;)

Also, I thought you only had to be 17 to buy M rated games, In America at least. I'm 22 so I got myself a copy. And my cousin also paid me 20 bucks to pick him up a copy on launch day. He's only 15. So I'm contributing to a minor with a video game. Sue me. :p

Sanction
05-09-2008, 08:53 PM
In America you only need to be 17 years old to buy M rated games. Can't speak for any other countries though. :P The weird thing was, I wasn't carded when buying the game, but when I bought the game guide they asked me for ID...WTF...

I haven't bought it for anyone...yet. ;)

Emfulz
05-09-2008, 09:11 PM
In America you only need to be 17 years old to buy M rated games. Can't speak for any other countries though. :P The weird thing was, I wasn't carded when buying the game, but when I bought the game guide they asked me for ID...WTF...

I haven't bought it for anyone...yet. ;)
One store I encountered which I am not an MVP there anymore is Gamecrazy since they have there own rules of where you have to be 18+ to buy M games while I go to Gamestop now because I'm 17 and can buy the M games there. [Yes this is in the U.S.]

Keano
05-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm 14 and pretty much all my friends have it. I just asked my mum if I could buy it on the internet with her card and she said yea. If I had no respect for my Mim I could go out and by anything I wanted because I know my mums credit card number and pin number off by heart.

Chris764
05-10-2008, 01:49 AM
im 18 just got my id a few weeks ago.Pissed me off so much when i couldnt buy games just because i didnt have my id lol.

Kinneshi
05-10-2008, 02:06 AM
When I rented GTA from Blockbuster my dad was outside and I wasn't carded and I'm 16, so hey, worked out well. Lol.

njdevils17
05-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Wal-Mart carded me when I bought GTA 4. I'm 17 which lets me get M games. For some reason, I thought you had to be 18 to buy M games. Before I got my driver's license, I had to go to a store with one of my parents or else they wouldn't sell me an M game.

D3adcell86
05-10-2008, 02:52 AM
22 no problem. When I was younger I would go to wal-mart and very rarely would they card me, if so i would just get someone that was older to buy it for me.

WOnG NoT RicE
05-10-2008, 05:04 AM
My brother is 18 and he went out and got it:woop: i am only 15 though. I have been playing GTA since whenever the 2nd one came out so whatever...age is not a factor.

Jjayb263
05-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Im 14 and i got GTA, just asked my mum to go get it for me and she did :):woop:

MrDudeMan
05-10-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm 20, and I still get ID'd for games.

Funny story, though (at least to me), I went with my stepbrother to the store so he could buy Darkwatch for the PS2 a little while after it came out. I was 18 at the time, and he was 16. The guy asked for his ID, and I showed him mine. He looked at me, then to my stepbrother, then back to me as if we were idiots. He still allowed my stepbrother to purchase it, though. We had a good laugh on the way out of the store.

X monkfish69 X
05-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I had no problems getting this. Mainly cause I'm 28 and I ordered it online.

However, I wish people would ask me for ID from time to time.... might make me feel young again ! *sob*

J eVeRy DaY 514
05-10-2008, 09:04 AM
i can't remember the last time i got carded for buying a game. the gamestop i go to is really laid back. but then again, i think i look at least 18. i've been told i've looked like i was in my mid 20's, but im not even 20 yet. i will be in a few days :)

scriptor
05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I am 25(Male), and had to show ID at a Best Buy. I am fine with that, I also take great pleasure in playing as a female avatar in multi-player and just destroying people to the point they want to and I will quote this, "Kill that bitch, so i can get that bitches money" and then having time run out before they can.

Darth Odan
05-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm 17 and bought it. She asked me for ID, and showed it to the salesperson.

melee24
05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
The age thing is a load of crap, most retailers will let you walk in and buy it anyway

Fly
05-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Am 20 and preordered it from the net, should have bought it from the local store though so I would've gotten a free 1 month live card. There's was this one time tho when I was like 10-12 years old and went to bought the Wu Tang Clan fighting game, the salesman asked if I had my mommy with me and I said that she's in the store next store and I walked away with the game. Tbh, they should watch a bit more who they are selling the game to.
Oh yeah, I'd like to add one thing, if you haven't hit puberty, don't go playing online and shouting all kinds of things to the microphone, that's irritating.

AlexUplinked
05-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm only 16 and I got a copy of the game - I just pre-ordered it, then why I was at school my Mum went in to pick it up, I mean I hate Vice City when I was 11.

But I've seen a friends try and get some 18s, and being carded. Which Is always amusing to watch, as they go into the store all cocky then walk out with their tails between their legs.

[Alex]

RFT 123
05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Woah, your friends have TAILS????

Anyway, I'v only been carded once for a 15, that was Oblivion, all I had to do was turn around and say "Dad" and the woman sold it to me. But my grandparents(yes, my GRANDPARENTS) pre-ordered GTA for my birthday, which is only 3 hours away, in my timezone! :D

sir gibo
05-10-2008, 09:08 PM
when i did pre order it know one was asked for ID but a few days later when i went in to the shop to buy the guide book for the F-in rats of Doom (which i still don't got well all of them) there was a old guy in like his 60's who was asked for ID and the same for every one else. this been in England tho :)

Kram 2oo7
05-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Am 17, 18 In August, I Got My Dad To Get It For Me, Me And Him Went To The Midnight Launch To Get It... Didnt Think I Would Get A Copy But I Did :):)

05-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm over 18. When I picked up my copy of GTA IV the kid in front of me got carded and got turned away for being to young.

DTF INFERNO
05-10-2008, 11:49 PM
You only have to be 17 to buy M rated games

sir gibo
05-11-2008, 04:00 AM
17 in the USA my be be but back in the UK you have to be 18 lol

DTF INFERNO
05-11-2008, 05:03 AM
17 in the USA my be be but back in the UK you have to be 18 lol

lol oh yea i totally spaced the whole different country thing. But yea, I just got my copy today and i am 17

Hammy8107
05-11-2008, 05:19 AM
im 20 went in an pre ordered and they didnt even question my age

TheOnlyDogMan
05-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't think I was ever asked for ID when I was under age and it annoys me a little. If they actually enforced the ratings then the majority of kids would have to get their parents involved in the process. All that's required is the parents to look at the game, look at their kid and decide if they match up. That's all it takes and suddenly the system works. We can enjoy beating up digital hookers and the kids are safe from the mind-warping horrors of grown up situations.

Like one poster said earlier, he cleans the house and junk then his parents go out and get him the game. They've obviously looked at the game at some point and decided that he is mature enough to play it without going out and actually stealing cars.

Meanwhile if Little Timmy Dumbass goes and robs a gas station after playing GTA there's none of this 'the kids will get the games anyway so we need to censor it for everyone' garbage. It's a simple matter of asking why the parents would buy their child a game where the central theme is criminal violence.

kiwi18
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I am 15 and I have been carded once for Gears. I was embarrassed.

nashie1
05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm 16 and I got it. I'm pretty sure they'd have given it to me but I didnt want to risk it so I had my mum go in and get it for me.
My friends have problems getting it too. One who does look like he's over 18 (really tall, deep voice etc.) was refused but another of my friends just had to show ID and got it anyway even though he's 16. Another of my friends went back to get the strategy guide a couple days later. Even though it was the same lady who served my friend before, she wouldn't let him buy the guide but she had no problems selling him the game earlier that week.

sir gibo
05-11-2008, 12:52 PM
dear theonlydogman and all who agreed with him.

game violence is a big problem for some people but like 95% its not its just that 5% that play the game so much and what av yer they become obsessed with it that they think it is ok to go out and steal a car after kicking the guy driving it in the face. but that could be just because he is metal from problems he had when he was a kid sometimes that can be the case.

but when i read a case file this guy who killed some one but did it like a killing on a game he plead the insane bulls**t and was sent to one of them metal hospital until he was no threat to the public. he spent 1 year in the metal house and was walking the street again.

this is why i did the thread for research in to how many under aged kids can get there hands games that is not meant for them.

Pheonix_Assassin
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
im 14 15 this year and i walked in the shop bought ETC

Kazdan
05-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I bought the game myself and yes, I'm 18. =]

Adam Miller
05-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Nope im not 18 for like another 20 days and a lot of mates who aren't 18 had no problem in buying the game either..:)

chaosisover
05-11-2008, 04:48 PM
im 13(turning 14 in july), and i walk into gamestop all the time to buy rated M games, the only time i needed a parent was for DMC4 because there was this new guy working who was an asshole (long story), and when GTA 4 came out, just because there was a spy at gamestop from the ESRB.

Nightdragon
05-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Im 20 years old and half the time i still get IDd for shit like this. 16+ (PEGI rated) games and stuff, i dont look that young but alot of sales people always say "if you look under 21 im obliged to ask for ID".

I always carry ID so it doesnt bother me too much, what bothers me is the parents that let their 8 year olds play GTA, i mean common...

-ND

Ashz0r
05-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Im 20 years old and half the time i still get IDd for shit like this. 16+ (PEGI rated) games and stuff, i dont look that young but alot of sales people always say "if you look under 21 im obliged to ask for ID".

I always carry ID so it doesnt bother me too much, what bothers me is the parents that let their 8 year olds play GTA, i mean common...

-ND

Thats what I have always found ridiculous in places like gamestation, im 19.. i'm buying a 15.. they ask for I.D because I look under 21.. wtf is the point in rating it 15 if they are gunna I.D you if you look under 21.. lol.

Parkerktm
05-12-2008, 05:10 AM
I'm 16, but i get these games easy because i have a debit card so i can order it online and the dumbass's working at my target think i'm 18 because i have a wallet and a lanyard with my car keys from having my permit, get my license in a week .....yeeeee!!!!!!!

Gaurdy3G
05-12-2008, 07:31 AM
im 19 so i was okay, didnt even get ID'd. i went to the midnight release of GTA4 and only saw 1 person get turned down for not having ID. the game is just rated 18 in the UK, we dont have M and stuff like that.

LSmith92
05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Im 16 and they wouldnt sell it to me :( so i gave my mum the money and she got it for me :)

neoadorable
05-13-2008, 06:13 AM
unlike the MPAA ratings, the ESRB carries no legal weight. it's not illegal to sell M rated games to people under 17. that's what Thompson, Yee and those other idiots want to do, to make it illegal so as to kill the commercial viability of this type of content. that's what happened to X rated/NC-17 movies - it's mandatory carding, so nobody wants to touch them, too much of a pain in the ass. that's why we need to get our "ooh-ahs" from freaking R rated movies.

roderpol
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Im mexican, 25 years old and unless you look like a CHILD they dont give a crap here and will sell it to you.

But I bought my GTAIV copy in Texas (drove there madly instead of waiting 5 days for it to get here) and I got carded at a GameStop :S wtf

Chojin
05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
at 16 after working a christmas at TK Maxx (hell on earth) (i think its a US company...) i got my parents to get me a PS2 with GTA3 for christmas made up of half my contribution.

so i think i was old enough since i was out there working for what i wanted.

but then at 13 (ish) i got a mate to get me the original perfect dark which was an 18 rated game over here. stores weren't half as strict as they are now on censorship rules on games.

but PD is nothing like GTA. i dont think i should have been playing a GTA title at 13-14.

sir gibo
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
lmao you get turned down for 18 when yer 20 and mums and dads buy games for there kids who are stood next to them saying no not that its that one point to GTA

CORPSE CRISIS
05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
lmao you get turned down for 18 when yer 20 and mums and dads buy games for there kids who are stood next to them saying no not that its that one point to GTA i couldive swore that i played with a 9 yr old kid...he or she sounded really really young..i mean common the parents have to look at games 1st before buying them,and see if its rite for the kid to be playin it...

Santa
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM

I'm allowed to play it, just means i can't buy it at 18.

And i have balls before you call me a kid = i don't sound annoying on live.

Hellknight79
05-14-2008, 07:26 AM
I had no problems getting this. Mainly cause I'm 28 and I ordered it online.

However, I wish people would ask me for ID from time to time.... might make me feel young again ! *sob*

I'm 28 also and I was carded when I got GTA, unfamiliar clerks usually ask when I buy cigarettes too. :p It's funny how the teens want to look like the 20's and the 20's want to look like teens. ;)

btw the only time I think kids are annoying on Live is 1) if they sing into the mic or 2) if they think they are "gangsta", do these guys not realize how ignorant they sound?

carnage_06
05-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Australia sux it was dumbed down to MA15+ but yeah i'm 19 so i had no worries getting this one although i do wonder what i'm missing out on compared to the 18+ version :-/

Chojin
05-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Australia sux it was dumbed down to MA15+ but yeah i'm 19 so i had no worries getting this one although i do wonder what i'm missing out on compared to the 18+ version :-/

bah that's wank

its usually the UK getting shafted when it comes to censorship.

import the uncensored version mang!

jelo1611
05-17-2008, 04:03 AM
i'm 15 (goin 16 this Nov) n 4 sum reason I look older than my age...good thing is i dun need a parent when I got GTA 4 since they i look lyk 19...xD

antnie
05-17-2008, 04:07 AM
I bought it at my local games4u and he sold it to me and I am 16. That guy is the best. He doesnt care about ratings in games.

xl JB lx
05-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't know where you live but here in Illinois, if your 17 years of age they can sell you a rated M game. I think this is only for a couple states. The reason are probably 18.

DHSlash
05-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm 20 and managed to get the game straight away on pre-order at Gamestation as I know all the staff there.

Anyways, the funniest ID I have ever experienced is at HMV, when I bought Mass Effect and its rated 12 and I was 19. I have to say I laughed at the guy first because I thought it was a joke or something, but no he wasn't joking.

Its stupid that I got ID'd for a 12, but not an 18 maybe they thought that sex would corrupt young peoples minds or something I mean with the 1 second of bare arse in that game, I mean, they could be posioned or scarred for life. Idiots!!

Watson bros
05-18-2008, 03:50 PM
I just got my mam to buy it, xD

knockton55
05-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm 20 and managed to get the game straight away on pre-order at Gamestation as I know all the staff there.

Anyways, the funniest ID I have ever experienced is at HMV, when I bought Mass Effect and its rated 12 and I was 19. I have to say I laughed at the guy first because I thought it was a joke or something, but no he wasn't joking.

Its stupid that I got ID'd for a 12, but not an 18 maybe they thought that sex would corrupt young peoples minds or something I mean with the 1 second of bare arse in that game, I mean, they could be posioned or scarred for life. Idiots!!

hahahahahahha! that's hilarious, I can imagine a 18 year old being mistaken for a 12 year old :P hahahahahaha

Tussell
05-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't know where you live but here in Illinois, if your 17 years of age they can sell you a rated M game. I think this is only for a couple states. The reason are probably 18.
It says 17 on the box...

Dothis
05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I haven't gotten carded for a game in a long time, however, I believe they should be more strict on their policies. I don't buy M rated games so I can listen to twelve year olds try to explain to me what sex is like, or what it is that I should be doing to my mother.

gatorbait
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
18 now so it's nice being able to buy any game on your own.

ProChief CXVII
05-18-2008, 08:04 PM
u only have to be 17 to buy M rated game, im 17 and i bought my gta...

Bax x360a
05-18-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm 19 now so can buy my own games, but when I was younger I just got my parents to buy games and movies for me. Do the same, or if their not around, an older friend? In the worst circumstances, just pay someone on the street to buy it for you :p

The Lone Ginger
05-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Im 14, my dad bought it for me, also got gears and condemed, played all other gta games still got gta1 for PS1 lol

victory gundam
05-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Nope not 18 haha,
I asked my mom if she would buy it and she had no problem. xD

Method
05-18-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm 26 with 9 year-old stepson and he is allowed no where near GTA, but he is more interested in Pokemon right now so i think I'm safe for at least 5 more years:p