PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Originals Falling Short of Expectations?

SkilledNutter
05-15-2008, 09:08 AM
There are a couple of Xbox Originals that I would be interested in purchasing if not for the lack of Achievements and/or extra content.

This is a viable revenue source for M$ at 1200 points per game you would think that little bit of effort would be actioned with each release to add some sort of bonus that justifies buying the product digitally @ a higher price then it can be purchased on the high street or online.

Right now any title that I have wanted I have just got on disk from Gamestation or Ebay sometimes for a fraction of the cost as I am getting more for my money and with such a comprehensive list of backwards compatible games I cannot see at present the current Xbox Original Scheme taking over my ability to own the physical product.

Achievments for me has now become a large part of my gaming and i find myself playing games on my Xbox 360 more than I would usually, also the replay value of my games has increased dramatically so adding such a perk to Xbox Originals would be a nice touch.

For Instance I already own sonic on my Megadrive but I bought it on XBLA for the added replay value of Achievments and the ability to save between levels, these were justifiable reasons to buy the game AGAIN or to buy it on XBLA at all. I plan to buy alot more XBLA Games too even with the current DRM issues including Sonic 2, Strrets of Rage 2, Street Fighter 2 HD & REZ to name but a few.

Any thoughts on Xbox Originals and has anyone actually purchased any and if so what made you decide to buy it digitally rather than the hard copy?

Molneze3
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
i really can't avoid it... i'm addicted to achievments. It really turned me off to buying these games to play again, that they didn't have any achievements. Why do that when i could play NEW games WITH achievements? I understand that who would want to go back and add content to a game so old, unlike the arcades who are bacially re-mapped for the 360... but still. Even 1 achievement for 100 points for beating the given game AGAIN, and i might buy a few.

xRogue 5x
05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
This is exactly why i haven't got any and will not get any until they wise up and put achievements into them.

There are some cool cames and I wouldn't mind playing them again but no points equal no thanks.

sir gibo
05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
i got the xbox 360 just for fable 2 so playing fable 1 would be a good thing but i have done it be for but if there was achievements to get which like show that i have got all of them and done everything for fable 1 then well makes yer feel great that yer kicking yer mates ass at yet another game :) they said they would not put achievements Originals n as it was not part of the xbox 360 generation.

but XBLA games was not to yet they have them..

vhayste
05-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, I agree. I would have downloaded the originals if they had fitted in some achievements in exchange. Its sad to play a game for several hours and get nothing from it.

Royle
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I like the range of games they have it's just there are no achievements and they are loads of money and alot of hard drive space. I don't think many people have downloaded these games and it was a waste of time microsoft doing this.

Segnius
05-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree. There's really no reason at all to get any of them. They've got nothing that the Xbox games on a disc don't have, yet they cost more and require you to use space on your hard drive.

loserboi23
05-15-2008, 01:52 PM
im hoping that when halo 2 comes out as a original it has the achievements like the vista version, will definatley get it

omgyjya_switch7
05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I did not have an original Xbox, so when I heard they were releasing old titles as downloads I was very interested, but no achievements make them pointless. I bought Halo from eBay for 1 posted brand new, why would I pay nearly 10 for it as a download?

Keano
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
I think the whole xbox originals idea is stupid. You can still buy xbox games and they're really cheap. Why would you bother with a download that costs a hell of a lot extra. Even if they had achievements the idea to me isn't viable.

Also, I would prefer to have a disc than just a download.

Augustus
05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm not really sure that the expectations were all that high to begin with. It looked to me at the time that Microsoft was just trying to fill up those Elite consoles with something.

For a person who wants to go play a game again that they can't find, it's great. But for the average consumer it was never really a big selling point; not something to highlight in a corporate Powerpoint presentation.

It's definitely been a failure thus far, but I don't think Microsoft is surprised.

Renji Abari
05-15-2008, 07:32 PM
There's really no reason to buy from the xbox originals, they have alot more buggs from the disc version, luckily i wasnt dumb enough to fall for there scheme, if i wanted the game id buy it in disc format. xbox originals are a waste.

Gunders 007
05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Achievements to some xbox originals would be so awesome! I think then i'd have a reason to beat some of them like spliter cell choas theory. That game was my favorite in multiplayer but i think it would bring back the popularity for it if they had some achievements. Fable also, i want to play that game again but i know that there would be no reason to and it would just waist some time. I can think of my good games that they should put into the the originals list but i dont think i'd buy them cause of no achievements.

Otisbum
05-15-2008, 08:12 PM
To be honest, the only good thing to come from XO is the free gamerpic packs and themes for each of the games.

I can understand MS' reasoning for not including achievements, but I highly disagree with the price.

njdevils17
05-15-2008, 11:00 PM
It would have been cool if they added online play to the game as well in addition to achievements. I bet tons of people would happily pay 1200 MS Points for Halo Combat Evolved with achievements and online multiplayer.

Omega Deez
05-16-2008, 12:12 AM
I feel the same as pretty much everyone else about no achievements. If they're all about money as people say they'd be smart to add achievements to the originals. It'd probably double or triple the amount sold so far if not more. I know I'd buy them. They cost me $20 by not putting them in there already because I made a bet with Rand Al Thor that they would, lost and had to buy Rand a 1600 point card lol. I'm not bitter though.

HoodMod
05-16-2008, 03:13 AM
This is exactly why i haven't got any and will not get any until they wise up and put achievements into them.

There are some cool cames and I wouldn't mind playing them again but no points equal no thanks.

C'mon dude. I realize at this point GS is probably mostly the reason you play, but flat out just not playing/buying a game for achievements despite how good it might be is ridiculous.

I believe they don't really need to 'add' anything to the games, although perhaps online leaderboards/online play in general would be nice for some of them (ahehemeHalo1ahem). I personally probably won't buy one because my hard drive is very small and I don't have the $$$ to upgrade.

MajinFro
05-16-2008, 04:58 AM
C'mon dude. I realize at this point GS is probably mostly the reason you play, but flat out just not playing/buying a game for achievements despite how good it might be is ridiculous.

I believe they don't really need to 'add' anything to the games, although perhaps online leaderboards/online play in general would be nice for some of them (ahehemeHalo1ahem). I personally probably won't buy one because my hard drive is very small and I don't have the $$$ to upgrade.

I refuse to buy them because of no achievements or GS. I already have access to them via the original xbox and have pretty much played and beaten all of them at least once. If achievements were added...I would buy all of them day one.

anji2128
05-16-2008, 05:09 AM
I'd also like to add that the games they've been throwing up on the XB Originals are either really good, and everyone still owns them, or they're half-assed. For example, this months releases, Stubbs the Zombie and Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows or whatever. Both games, not that good at all. They can't put Halo up there every month I understand, but they gotta be able to step up a little bit.

Weirdo guy
05-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Yeah these games just arent worth the MS points, they have no achievements, are overpriced versus their hard copy disc versions, eat up LARGE amounts of valuble hard drive space and god forbid something happen to your system and/or hard drive their gone along with your money. They're just a waste.

Abez Meister
05-17-2008, 05:28 AM
I personally haven't bought any but my friend has since he didn't have the original xbox and likes the convenience of dling the games and playing from the HDD.

Parkerktm
05-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Splinter Cell almost had me but then i reminded myself that theres better Xbox 360 retail games to play, there $15, take up alot of HD space, and theres no achievements. No matter what games they come out with, I'll never end up purchasing a Xbox Original title

sam49
05-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah, theres no reason to get em because of no achievments, but remember before the 360, there were no achievements and people used to play for hours till end for nothin!

Andrew14man
05-17-2008, 12:43 PM
if games like sonic 2, umk3, streets of rage 2 etc. (old games/XBLA). if they can have achievements, why can't XBL originals!!!

Joe Boy 1986
05-17-2008, 12:45 PM
i just don't see the point in buying them as u can go and get a copy preowned for so much less. ms dont seem to care about them much, as there aren't even that many comiong out

xKNIGHT617x
05-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I feel all xbox originals should have 500 gs in them. I would buy halo on the spot if that had achievements.

SkilledNutter
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
So its anonymous then, M$ need to wise up and add some points.

The idea of 500 points total sounds good, this could be programmed into a seperate package within the game image that monitored say the save file.

So it would know when you where 25%, 50% and 100% through the game and points could be associated to this.

maybe even points for say choosing to be evil or good in Fable or beating a game on a particuler difficulty level.

I can see why 'event' achievements cannot be coded but simple ones like mentioned above would be managable.

njdevils17
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
The only games I have any interest in buying are Psychonauts and Indigo Prophecy. The only way I'll pay money to download them is if I can't find them used at Gamestop. Otherwise, I either own the other game they have or the other games just plain suck.

vhayste
05-19-2008, 11:18 PM
The Xbox originals are quite good. But the lack of achievements is a big letdown... at least they should have included even basic ones for completion's sake :|

Tussell
05-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Well, I think they need to make the games playable if you don't own them on the fuckin' Xbox itself. I mean, the patches for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory are all messed up, but I can go spend money and have it put on my 360? That's really lame.

Microsoft really pisses me off sometimes.

snake42069
05-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, if they ever add them, i will buy them regardless of achievements. Though i will be pissed if they dont add a 1000 points for them, because those are the best games for the xbox hands down, well, in second place compared to halo 2.

Cheezbrgr
05-20-2008, 06:05 AM
With achievements i would definately buy these games. Anyway i can get a hard copy for $5 at EB games instead of 15 bucks here

jEnNz4
05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree that it is kind of ridiculous that it is $15 on live, where as u could by it for $5 at Gamestop. If they added achievements it would deffinately be worth the extra money. Even if it was 500 for a game instead of 1000 there were a few games I would deffinately play again. Black for example was one of the best games for xbox! Microsoft would make way more money if they added achievements, so many more people would buy the originals! Does anybody even buy them without the achievements?