PDA

View Full Version : Need a good game w/o sound.

Duvork
05-16-2008, 04:15 AM
Just throwing this out there for the community to help me out. I need a couple good games to play where the sound is not that important. I play during the week next to my wife while she is watching her tv shows so I play with the sound muted. On the weekend is when I can get my other games in like GTA and Call of Duty since those you pretty much need volume. Also since she pretty much only plays spades or Halo 3 on her Xbox I play whatever with the sound up.

Please throw some ideas out to help me out get my fix during the week.

Thanks,

Parkerktm
05-16-2008, 04:28 AM
I don't think Bioshock really matters...all games would be easier played and funner with sound but you situation id difficult because games aren't made with developers thinking there not going to need sound, haha.

lets see here

cabelas big game hunter
All Sports games because it's just the announcers
Crackdown
All drving games

loren83
05-16-2008, 05:01 AM
You could just buy a Turtle Beach Earforce X1 or X3 surround sound headset so that you can still have sound. This is a much better alternative than only playing shit games during the week because you cant turn the volume up. Take my word for it. I game @ night while the wife and kids sleep so mine is always muted. By the headset, it's a worth while investment. Here's the link.

Ear Force X3 Wireless
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8529979&st=turtle+beach&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186007992061

Ear Force X1 Wired Headset
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7963117&st=turtle+beach&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1153997315841

I have both, it's just personal preference.

greatREDvinny
05-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Tetris Evolution! In fact I would recommend to play without the sound because the in game music is so damn annoying.

kotte
05-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Bully? Might be not the best, but it was okey as a game, didn't need much sound either, just need to be focused on the alerts and stuff in the game. Also got 100% on it, so I'm not just guessing.

ThrawnOmega
05-16-2008, 05:33 AM
Puzzle Quest off of XBLA is excellent, and can be played without sound. Fighting Games like VF5 don't really need sound, nor do sports games. Other than that, headphones may be a good idea.

aussiegamer
05-16-2008, 06:07 AM
fifa 08

sport games u dont need sport.

Weirdo guy
05-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Simularly I like to listen to music from my stereo while gaming and any racing or sports game usually fits the bill for me to do that and not worry about missing any important in-game audio content, so I would say this would also apply to your situation. Lorens recommendation for headphones is a good idea as well. Some games I have that I've found go well without their audio are Burnout, Project Gotham, Fight Night and other sports games.

Zee
05-16-2008, 06:37 AM
You can just turn subtitles on. Pretty much all games have them nowadays.

Gun-Nut
05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Quite a few Arcade Games can be played with out sound three come to mind

Soinc 1 & 2
UNO

xCOBRAx
05-16-2008, 09:12 AM
heres my question...why dont u just save up a little bit and get a pair of headphones that way you listen to ur games while ur wife watches TV?

Duvork
05-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the ideas. To answer the question about the headphones is I listen to the shows that she is watching. We work late and get off at 3:00 am so we record everything. While I play a game I can still listen to House, Survivor, Criminal Minds ect.. and if it starts to sound interesting I will just pause the game and watch. I do have good head phones for when she is watching her soap operas.

Also, subtitles are a big part of my gaming experience during the week so I do play games that do have them. Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed were pretty much played muted but Lost Oddessy had to wait for the weekend.

Cool, so far Crackdown, any sport/fighting, Bully, Tetris, Sonic 1-2, Puzzle Quest. Anything else someone can think of.

Thanks again guys.

Nightdragon
05-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Pretty much all of the Cabelas games are a quick 1000 gamerscore and you dont really need to pay much attention. If you are llooking for something good though then pretty much most shooter can be played without sound.

You lose a little bit of the atmosphere, and sometimes the story can get confusing, but just use subtitles and you will be fine :p

phatRizzo
05-17-2008, 01:26 AM
wow, your story about playing games quiet cause your wife watches tv shows and only being able to play loudly on weekends is my exact story... my wife pretty much only plays Halo 3 also... i read your post to my wife and she asked if I wrote it...

Gun was a pretty easy game, not a big deal with sound... thought Prey was fun, don't remember about sound, but pretty sure i played it with my wife if in the room, so probaly played quiet

Ashz0r
05-17-2008, 05:06 AM
This is why headsets were invented.. am I the only dumb one for thinking why go through the hastle of finding a game to play without sound when you could buy a headset for next to nothing? lol

And you could always try just gaming on a day that you don't watch house? lol.. house is on for an hour? just take a break from gaming to watch it.. i do.. lol

RainofFireNZ
05-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Basicly all arcade games can be played without sound

ThrawnOmega
05-17-2008, 05:41 AM
This is why headsets were invented.. am I the only dumb one for thinking why go through the hastle of finding a game to play without sound when you could buy a headset for next to nothing? lol

And you could always try just gaming on a day that you don't watch house? lol.. house is on for an hour? just take a break from gaming to watch it.. i do.. lol

He pretty much explained in an earlier post why he continues to play silent instead of use headphones. Try reading the whole thread before making snarky comments.

For a laugh, you could try playing Guitar Hero without sound, but that would be pretty pointless :)

AlphaXGamerXDad
05-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Beautiful Katamari SHOULD be played with no sound. The music will make you murder anyone within reaching distance.

Master Michl
05-17-2008, 10:37 AM
project sylpheed - a space shooter, some people claim that it is even better without sound because its supposed to be more realistic that way (no sound in space and all)

kiwi18
05-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Any arcade, Bully...make sure you pay attention though to the notifications.

sir gibo
05-17-2008, 02:08 PM
dyansty warriors all the way or all the other fraces like warriors oroce (soory about the spelling howin you will understand what it is :)) they all have subtitles and they are all great games

Ashz0r
05-17-2008, 02:20 PM
He pretty much explained in an earlier post why he continues to play silent instead of use headphones. Try reading the whole thread before making snarky comments.

For a laugh, you could try playing Guitar Hero without sound, but that would be pretty pointless :)

I did read the whole thread thats why I added why doesn't he just stop to watch house.. I doupt that he watchs every TV program on TV.. and if he does then his gotta choose.. you can't do everything..
Unless his working longer hours then full time the fact that he finishes work at 3AM doesn't make him any different to anyone else working full time except his schedule is around the other way..he would have just as much time to do everything anyone else can do in their day he just has to schedule it at different times.
What I was trying to say if its just House his watching.. he can just stop for an hour and play at a different time its not a big deal.

Royle
05-17-2008, 05:15 PM
You should enable subtitles on games that means you can play it without sound and still get the storyline.

Duvork
05-17-2008, 05:22 PM
It's cool Ash, I do work longer hours. We leave the house at 2:30 pm and get home at 3:00 am or so. I usually play until 6:00 am so the couple 3 hours that I have at night (or morning however you look at it) she is watching the shows that we record on a daily basis. I understand what you are saying but there is alot more on TV that we watch than just House, I was just throwing a couple examples out.

Thanks everyone who has replied to the thread so far. I am going to check out some of the titles that you guys have suggested, also to those who mentioned Cabela's, I have finished all 4 already, they are great games without sound. As was Two Worlds since the voice acting was horrible but I liked the game, and can never go wrong with Feeding Frenzy or Gears of War multiplayer...just beware the Torque Bow in your ass since you can't hear it winding up.

I will definiatly take some more suggestions if anyone has them.

PhatRizzo, I read your post to my wife and she was laughing as well. Have her look up my wife sometimes, her and one of her girlfriends play Halo alot. Her Gamertag is: Roadiewarrior

Bleeding Star
05-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I wouldnt say sound matters on GTA at all, can just use subtitles, and I woudlnt say you needed sound on COD4 multiplayer :) although could try Dead Rising, thats good game