PDA

View Full Version : Address it

soccerplaya13cj
05-17-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35634&page=2

In that thread Pants got onto someone for bringing back a topic, but then you all preach search function. Is it just me or is that a little hypocritical. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Birky
05-17-2008, 08:24 PM
It was resurrected, but nothing at all was added to it. It was a pointless thread and was brought back by a pointless post, why wouldn't it get locked? Do you really think that "it is not just 12 year old USA kids that swear tho!!" is a worthy post that contributes to the topic? No... It is okay to bring up old thread when you have something to add to it, or if you still not sure of an answer addressed in it and would like to ask for a more detailed response, etc.

synister EFFECT
05-17-2008, 08:25 PM
That's exactly my thought on this. I guess it means you look at the old thread, but don't post. Or they mean don't post QUESTIONS that have already been answered. I'm not entirely sure though. It's a lose-lose situation if the thread you wanna start has been made a few months ago...

razzleson
05-17-2008, 08:26 PM
You can't compare searching for a thread that's days/weeks old vs bumping for a thread that's nine months old.

Personally I don't think a thread should be bumped if it's over 3-4 months old, but that's my opinion.

The Pants Party
05-17-2008, 08:57 PM
If that was a thread about getting an achievement and the person who bumped it found a new, faster way to get the achievement I would have left it open because it would have been a good addition to the thread and sparked new discussion.

However, it was a mostly useless thread with a crap reply. Hence the lockdown.

SengIV
05-17-2008, 09:29 PM
It isnt wrong if nothing useful was added. Like razzle and pants stated. It was a pointless thread. Using the search button to find a thread about swearing and adding something useful then I do not think Pants would have locked it. But many threads that have no new posts in them are mainly useless anyways.

J O 12 D
05-17-2008, 09:48 PM
But it did spark new conversation...after that person posted other people posted their experiences of swearing during games so surely it should've been left open?

soccerplaya13cj
05-17-2008, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if the mods didn't say search it, it's been posted over everything. I see your points, but it bugs me you say search it, even if it is in off-topic or something little that may have been posted once, but when people do take the time to search it gets locked.

PurplePig11
05-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if the mods didn't say search it, it's been posted over everything. I see your points, but it bugs me you say search it, even if it is in off-topic or something little that may have been posted once, but when people do take the time to search it gets locked.

This isnt the only forum that does it. Over at GameFAQs they do the same thing. I do not gets it.

Otisbum
05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if the mods didn't say search it, it's been posted over everything. I see your points, but it bugs me you say search it, even if it is in off-topic or something little that may have been posted once, but when people do take the time to search it gets locked. By all means, if someone takes the time to search for the thread AND takes the time to make a good contributing post, then there's nothing wrong with it.

But 90% of the time it's an "I agree", or even worse. And sometimes the thread has already been answered at that point and therefore needs no response at all, in the case of Vista's thread being resurrected earlier.

The Pants Party
05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
At any rate, no offense, but we make the final decision on these things. If we think the thread should have stayed dead, we lock it. If we think it can stay open, we leave it. If we think there was a thread posted the day before about the same thing, we'll tell you to search.

If you don't like the mod's decision, either report the post or PM them.