PDA

View Full Version : games you could beat when you were younger

nytwstdpunk1211
05-21-2008, 07:06 PM
This thread is aimed at the original NES generation of gamers.

I recently found console classics online and was overjoyed to get the opportunity to play old NES games that I haven't played in forever.
I started Super Mario Bros. and I suck now. I used to beat that game all the time when I was a kid. I guess I just can do platform jumping based games. But I sucked at RC pro am as well..

Are there any games that you were great at as a kid that you suck at now?

Royle
05-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Mario Kart I used to be awesome on the NES but since the Wii version came out I started to suck at it.

Ashz0r
05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Smash TV I and Street Fighter, I used to be awesome at those and I completly suck now lol.
Still pro at mario and Sonic haven't lost my skills there ^^

MightyWingo
05-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I think the only one I've really "lost it" at is Contra. I used to own those aliens man lol. Now I'm lucky to get to the top of the waterfall stage, I even suck at the XBLA version >.>

Parkerktm
05-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong
Croc
Grand Turismo 1 and 2

and some fighting game on the dreamcast only because i was 6 and just button bashed

Molneze3
05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Frogger, Pac-man and Galaga.
I used to be really good at those games but when they came out for the arcade, i sucked!
Sonic took me a little while to get used to again, but now i'm better.

Dog Of Thunder
05-21-2008, 11:14 PM
6 on the Dreamcast? Ugh.

I'm gonna go with Lifeforce. The black sheep of the R-Type series that was released on the NES. Deargod, how can anyone get through the final segment without cheats?

Second is Battletoads. It's amazing how hard that game really is.

Ashz0r
05-21-2008, 11:25 PM

I used to get owned shortly after the hover bike bit.. lol used to play that with my brother.

A Polish Panda
05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Not for NES, but I beat James Bond 007 Goldeneye on 007 difficulty, and you can't use cheats to advance in levels in this game.

But that was when I was 8 years old... 6 years later and I can't beat it on 00 Agent...

Blackjaw x
05-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Well I think I could still beat them, but I did the following when I was quite young:

Beat Donkey Kong 1 and 2 for SNES
Got all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 a few times
Beat the first Zelda for N64 and got all collectibles (forget what they were now)

Other than that I just played sports games, or real sports.

nytwstdpunk1211
05-22-2008, 01:20 AM
6 on the Dreamcast? Ugh.

I'm gonna go with Lifeforce. The black sheep of the R-Type series that was released on the NES. Deargod, how can anyone get through the final segment without cheats?

I still to this day remember the beat when you press pause in battletoads.

Chojin
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Not for NES, but I beat James Bond 007 Goldeneye on 007 difficulty, and you can't use cheats to advance in levels in this game.

years after release they released cheat codes (button input) that give you invincibility etc so you could use cheats. they just weren't announced until like 2000 when the game was a few years old.

it's how i got 007 completely done because i wanted to see what the final bonus mission was like

thenightmare
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Man,

If i can remember back that far, I beat Punch out, the original Zelda, Mario, Contra ( with the lives code for godsake), and Gradius. I did decent at Bayou Billy

fatces
05-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Man,

If i can remember back that far, I beat Punch out, the original Zelda, Mario, Contra ( with the lives code for godsake), and Gradius. I did decent at Bayou Billy

oh the old times... i remeber sucking big time at bayou billy :D

one game that i found challenging at that time was ninja gaiden, but now i found it very easy, the same goes for mega man and other games... but i still suck at bayou billy:p

Method
05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Punch Out
Contra
Mario
Mortal Kombat
Double Dragon
I guess the double joystick controllers of today have completely ruined my skills.

Downloki
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Original Prince of Persia, i just can`t seem to get anywhere with it nowadays. i used to play the pc version a lot back in the day

its delicious
06-15-2008, 02:50 AM
I used to play Silent Service and I could blow up ships like crazy. Tried it a few years back and I sank faster than Milli Vanilli on the Billboards.

antnie
06-15-2008, 03:13 AM
I only remember playing Super Mario Bros. 1, 3, and Duck Hunt. I was good at all of them and I am still good. I miss Duck Hunt, I had the NES zapper or what ever it was called.

iAFXi
06-15-2008, 03:14 AM
I would say Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3 on SNES.

njdevils17
06-15-2008, 05:41 AM
I used to be great at Super Mario World on SNES. I started playing a week ago and I suck. I'm starting to get back to my old self though as I'm getting a little better. I'm at the 6th castle right now.

pavementpoop
06-15-2008, 01:17 PM
super mario
sonic the hedgehog
dessert strike
oo duck hunt great game lol good memorys

Yann
06-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Well i'm really dire at the TMNT game that came out for the NES and thats on XBLA. I use to be awesome at it back in the day but now i'm really bad lol.

THat was the first game I asked my dad to play with me since I was like 4 and my older brother was at school. He was so bad at the game, he couldnt understand that A hit them and B jumped. Last game he played with me aswell, but I appreciated the effort lol.

shadaik
06-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Megaman 1 through X, used to have most of them beaten. Now I manage to die in stage 2 at the latest in most of the games.

JVinz
06-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Actually, I'm just the opposite. When I was a kid, I sucked at playing my NES games. The games that used to seem so freakin hard, I can beat no problem now.

KISMO
06-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Anything couls really play everything shooters adventure platform would play till i mastered them but just dont get the time these days and there is always something else could or should be doing.

Sure could be just as good given the practice

DeathMinion111
06-18-2008, 12:53 PM
The Legend of Zelda when I was 6 or 7 y/o.

Z3R0 S1X
06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Lets see... on NES: the three Mario games, the TMNT games, and the Mega Man games. On Super NES: Mario World, Zelda, Star Fox, Chrono Trigger (one of the all time greatest games), and Donkey Kong Country (never beat DKC but played them alot). In the arcade: mostly Mortal Kombat 2 and Primal Rage, both were alot of fun back in the day. Its odd but I've been playing games longer than some of the people who visit this site have been alive, but I'm not the only one:)

SkaKid25
06-19-2008, 04:22 AM
I used to be bad ass in Tetris but now I can't even successfully land a T-Spin lol
I also remember original 2D Mortal Kombat and the Duck Hunt! Oh man, those were the days. I also recall the PS One days with Metal Gear Solid and Tekken 3 cause sadly I never had N64 =/

CRASHTEST
06-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Paperboy, pac-man, and contra i was pretty good with all of them now i can barely get past the first level of contra as for pacman i am lucky if i get 1 extra life why did they bring the old games back its so humiliating

WezCorp
06-19-2008, 07:31 AM
I was always a fan of those top down fighter plane games. Whenever I see them tucked away in an arcade corner I still have an urge to go play them.
Also duck hunt was amusing, especially when you try and play it these days haha

Bishop24
06-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Pokemon, Super Mario Brothers(SNES), and Mario Kart 64. I couldn't really beat that many games when I was younger.

ZXMaster
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Metroid on SNES

Bolt
06-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I downloaded Super Mario on the VC and tried to do a speed run right away i only made it about three levels through.