PDA

View Full Version : Scariest part in any game

cubby520
05-22-2008, 05:22 AM
I was wanting to see what the scariest part in any game was. Like for me it was in Condemned2: Bloodshot when the bear attacks you and the creepy ceiling sacks.

Cheezbrgr
05-22-2008, 05:26 AM
parts of bioshock :P when splicers lunge at you

deathchant
05-22-2008, 05:27 AM
everytime you have to fly in the shuttle for prey. makes me scary dizzy.

Randomnutta
05-22-2008, 05:33 AM
the part in bioshock in the dentist where the smoke fills the room and this splicer puts a dead body in the chair then i had smoke fill the room again and i turned around and he was standing there staring at me i screamed so loud

Ashz0r
05-22-2008, 05:52 AM
F.E.A.R:
When you go down the ladder in the first mission and just as your going down you see the little evil girls feet at the top of the ladder and when you get to the bottom and turn around the ghost comes out of nowhere at you.. I think I emptied a whole clip into the wall scared shitless from that ghost lol.

MrDudeMan
05-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Silent Hill 2

When you're in the prison, and you enter one of the bathrooms, and a door on one of the stalls starts shaking violently. That downright scared the shit out of me.

Seriously, guys. Bioshock, Condemned 2, Prey? Has anyone played a horror-esque game before the 360?

Robbie B
05-22-2008, 06:23 AM
When I was young I loved the Resident Evil games, but since I was about eight-year-old when I played the first couple, everything scared me.

But the scariest has to be when anything jumps through windows at you. Happens in RE1 with the dogs, happens in RE3 with Nemesis. God, I had some sleepless nights, I tell you what.

niacine
05-22-2008, 07:09 AM
this is tough lots of parts of doom 3 got me to jump, especilly i always played at night in the dark with surrond sound on.. and back then my comp could run it at decent settings too.... although believe it or not when the berserker breaks through the wall in gears of war.. dunno why but the first time that made me jump. heh

Parkerktm
05-22-2008, 07:15 AM
parts of bioshock :P when splicers lunge at you

I agree with you 100% on that one. Honest to god when those things popped out of nowhere it scared me enough to get spooked, really spooked.

pixelsofdeath
05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
i'd say condemned 2 has a few, the bear chase, the first mission with all the black shit and oil enemies, and the commuter tracks level with the mannequins. those came to mind pretty quick.

Royle
05-22-2008, 08:34 AM
It has to be condemned when you find the teacher in the locker. I won't spoil anymore for anyone :)

Azrael008uk
05-22-2008, 11:58 AM
"Two Worlds" where you turn the game on and start playing and you're thinking... 'I've seen better graphics on the PS2'.

"Dark Messiah" where you push the pause button, head to options and discover there is NO option to inverse the "Y" axis.

Yesterday, when Meerkat Matt logged on and looked at my gamerscore and saw that I had suddenly overshot him and he discovered "Avatar" on my games played list, despite throrough attempts by me to bury it.

Nightmares, every one.

Azrael

Ashz0r
05-22-2008, 01:33 PM
"Two Worlds" where you turn the game on and start playing and you're thinking... 'I've seen better graphics on the PS2'.

LMAO
I had to stop playing the demo withen 5 minutes of starting it because I was so scared I feared for my own life.

Bax x360a
05-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Agreed, Two Worlds is scaringly bad. I remember the first Silent Hill scaring the crap out of me back in the day, and of course the dogs in Resident Evil have got to get a mention.

alexsimms
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Resident Evil 1... was walking down a silent hallway and some creature jumped around the corner. I could have sworn there was nothing there. Well, it scared the shit out of me. I felt my whole body get a chill that ran from my head down through my toes. Freaky stuff. Good game.

neoadorable
05-23-2008, 01:14 AM
last time a game really scared me was HL2, Ravenholm of course, those fucking fast zombies kept me up at night.

EDIT: whoo! whoo-whoo-whoo! (sound of rattling chainlink fence)

Blackjaw x
05-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Timesplitters 3: Zombie dude jumps out of dresser. I jumped four hundred times in one second, don't ask me how. I just vibrated like crazy or something.

vhayste
05-23-2008, 01:29 AM
In Jericho, when I turn to dark corners and see an undead right in front my face, ready to slash me.

Pyroman31
05-23-2008, 05:01 AM
The last one I remember is in Condemned 2. I was in the apartments I think and I went into a bathroom LOOKING straight into the mirror making sure nothing followed me. I looked down for ONE second then turn to exit the bathroom and BOOM motherfucking crack addict just sitting RIGHT FUCKING BEHIND ME. I swear to god I have never seen my cat jump that high from me jumping that high...I actually turned off the game cuz I couldn't recover...Damn took me 2 hours to chill the fuck out and play some more....*shivers*

Nightdragon
05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
F.E.A.R:
When you go down the ladder in the first mission and just as your going down you see the little evil girls feet at the top of the ladder and when you get to the bottom and turn around the ghost comes out of nowhere at you.. I think I emptied a whole clip into the wall scared shitless from that ghost lol.

I was about to say the exact same thing, I turned around on to the ladder and almost shit myself!!!

Also ash, did u play far enough to get to the offices? Theres one point there where you are just quietly walking through the office cubicles and just darts across the floor next to you, damn scary!!

IamTheKoP
05-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd have to say the original X-Com. During the computer's turn the screen would be pretty much blank (unless your troops were in view of the action) with very minimal music. Occasionally you'd hear a loud, sudden scream from a civilian getting killed. Pretty scary at 3 in the morning in a dark room while being tired w/ volume up high.
Here's hoping they re-release it on XBLA (played the PSX one with a controller, not as good as a mouse but very user friendly) or bring the franchise back properly (since 2K has the rights to it if I'm not mistaken)

muters
05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
The last one I remember is in Condemned 2. I was in the apartments I think and I went into a bathroom LOOKING straight into the mirror making sure nothing followed me. I looked down for ONE second then turn to exit the bathroom and BOOM motherfucking crack addict just sitting RIGHT FUCKING BEHIND ME.

Ha, yeah, that happened to me too. I turn round, and there's one of the those naked Beavis crackheads just staring at me. I wouldn't have minded if they'd have attacked me, but don't just stand there!

Silent Hill 2 remains to this day the mother of all scary games. Probably the moment that messed me up the most was when you were running through an underground corridor with Maria, you turn a corner and then suddenly Pyramid Head pops out of nowhere and chases you down to the lift. Also, the prison area, and how there's one cell with an invisible ghost in it... it doesn't do anything, it's just there to clatter about in the darkness and mess with your head.

thenightmare
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Id have to say in RE2 in the extra missions when the Tyrant is after you, there is one room you have to go into and light a stove or something if I remember right. The room shifts view when you walk far enough into it. To make a long story short when u finally light the damn thing you cant see behind you and all u hear is the door open and slam shut, you know its the tyrant but it doesnt attack u til the screen shifts back. The scary part is when I ran out of the room, thought I was safe, then the f*ker comes through the wall after me. Yes after that no more RE at 2am in the dark

omgyjya_switch7
05-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Project Zero/Fatal Frame series yet! A young Japanese girl walking round with just a camera to defeat ghosts. That is fear.

ACiD RoXas
05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Silent Hill 2: When that darn Pyramid Head and just the music building up to it scared the shit out of me.

Pheonix_Assassin
05-23-2008, 01:39 PM
For me its Viva Pinata Those Tafflys those evil Tafflys

Lordvader178
05-23-2008, 02:32 PM
It is impossible to have just one scary moment. I'll post all of mine. They will contain spoilers:

Go play Silent Hill 3 people. That game is just an excuse to play a horror movie. It's so god dam scary.
That F.e.a.r part that everybody mentioned. Going down the ladder, seeing Alma, hit the bottom and turn left, ZOMG PAXTION FETTLE ZOMGOMGOMGOMOMG I R HAS NEED NEW PANTS.
The part in Bioshock in Arcadia, when you follow the splicer around at the beginning and head to the table. You look at the mask, and the lights go out, and they turn back on, and theres a shadow on the wall. Then you turn around, AND THERE IS A HOUDINI SPLICER STARING AT YOU. I love that game.
In the first condemned, when your in the first level and the vagrant jumps up at you from the stairs when you look over the balcony.
In condemned 2, the 2nd level is just basically a place to scare you shitless. Every corner there is always something.
The distorted breasts in DOA: XBV are just rerrifying.

My scariest moment was probably playing Manhunt for PS2. I was on the last level. As soon as it starts, you run down the hall and turn right, then run down that hall. Just as you get to the end of the hall, A FAT GUY WEARING A DEAD PIGS HEAD AND SKIN WITH A CHAINSAW COMES OUT OF NOW EHRE FROM THE ADJACENT HALLWAY. I threw my controller so hard. By the time it had hit the ground, "Piggsy" had already chopped away at my intestines. Manhunt is to this day, my most favourite game.

Kwyjibo3637
05-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Dentist office in Bioshock

the Department Store in Condemned with the mannequins...*shivers*

Legoman1326
05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
the part in bioshock in the dentist where the smoke fills the room and this splicer puts a dead body in the chair then i had smoke fill the room again and i turned around and he was standing there staring at me i screamed so loud

No kidding, the second time I went through the game, I turned around before the smoke came up and when it cleared I was looking at the wall again.

The oven man in RE4 can scare you too if you're not expecting him.

muters
05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
More disturbing than scary, but in Resident Evil 4 when a chainsaw guy gets hold of you, the way Leon uselessly holds up his arms as he gets his head hacked off. Just so grim.

Unless I dreamt that bit. Did I dream it? I don't know.

Jake1993
05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Resident Evil 1. Damn Tarantulas :P

blingking2k7
05-23-2008, 09:15 PM
this might not seem scary but i shat my pants! on duke nukem 3d for ps1. those spider things what jumped on your screen and jsut chomped your face! shitty graphics + no warning = new pants

Azrael008uk
05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
In "Morrowind: Game Of The Year Edition" I got off the boat and saw water.

I went in and thought cool! I can swim!

I turned around and was face to face with a slaughterfish which attacked me.

Almost crapped my pants.

Then there was a time in "Oblivion" when I was in Skyngrad.

I was outside Flallanu Hlallu's "All Things Alchemical" when I turned 180 degrees and saw that "eye" on the sign outside her shop in full HD glory...

That made me jump about 10 feet as well.

Azrael

the_b1ues
05-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Parts of bioshock

Ashande
05-26-2008, 07:48 AM
I think the thing that made me freak out the most - wasn't a jump scare, just general creeping fear that overrode all sense and reason - was in Fatal Frame 1; the long hallway with all the ropes hanging down, and the mirror at the end? Yeah. I crept down that hall so slowly, kept pushing the "Aim Camera" button to be sure nothing was coming from off screen, then get up to the mirror, about ready to cry I'm so freaked out. I have an unnatural terror of mirrors anyway, and that didn't help matters.

What's at the end? Not a damn thing! So I calm down, smoke, sit and stare at the save point for a minute. Get on with life. Ignore the hallway as I cut through it five or six more times running between puzzles and saves. No biggie.

Then I go to cut through it one last time and BAM. Fucking ghost pops out of the goddamn mirror. Bastards got me. :/

DeltaZ360
05-27-2008, 04:09 PM

For the 360 this was the exact same spot I jumped on. Probably one of the only ones that made me really jump, the game is creepy all throughout though.

There were a few times in Resident Evil 1 I jumped, I was young though hah.

knockton55
05-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Scariest moment in any game...haha, good question :)!. Gotta be something like, Condemned or something like Bioshock. I'll go with the dentist occurance in bioshock :)

Full Metal COS
06-02-2008, 10:36 PM
OK, first time I ever jumped in a game was during res evil 1 directors cut, now i'd played the original too so I assumed I knew what I was in for, then you get to that bit outside the mansion where you are in a big room with a huge window at the far end, as far as I remember you have to go there for a key item or something, no biggie, nothing happened in res one so I'm nice and chilled, grab the item, turn to leave and SMASH a flock of zombie birds burst in through the window, I literally fell off my bed, lol.
More recently though I'd say Bioshock is top for creepy, if not downright scary moments (and before I get dissed I mostly played post midnight on a big ass HDTV with a surround sound system and no lights on), the bits in particular was a part where a splicer was taking to her "baby" except it was a handgun, but naive me thought she was a "normal" person ( before I saw the handgun) and required a pants change when she attacked me, the doctor bit with the patients on crosses was pretty nasty, and my first encounter with a little sister really creeped me out, the bit where you can hear her singing nursery rhymes, thats just wrong! also before you get tough enough to easily beat them, the sound of an approaching big daddy never failed to get me on the edge of my seat...................
maybe I'm just a wuss? lol. Looking forward to condemed after reading these posts though...

Yann
06-02-2008, 11:11 PM
A few moments have really got me going.

Bioshock - Dentists office made me jump, unloaded an entire shotgun round into the cunts face for that one.

Silent Hill 2 - Pyramid Heads coming to rape me, no explanation nessacery i'm sure.

Condemned - Those wierd ass junky monster things in the sewers etc coming after you. Aswell as the final mission in the old House, mare.

Doom 3 - Cherubs. Half baby half insect lunging at your face while screaming, scary stuff.

FEAR - Riding the elevator in the offices, it stops. You go out to fix it by finding the button. You hit the button and look up. Alma is standing there..

Resident evil moments - In Resi 1 the first apperance of the zombie in that horrifying FMV sequence before it attacks you.

Resi 3 - Running away from Nemesis as he closes in on you

Resi 4 - Finding out the freakshows with bags on their heads and chainsaws can jump 100 feet into the air and kill you in one hit.

My first raids in World of Warcraft, going up against Onyxia, Nefarion and Raggy as a Pally on Heal duty is fucking terrifying, especially since my Guild Leader was a Scottish psychopath who would shout at me for the slightest mistake.

Half Life 2 - First appearence of the Dog Zombies with their screams just as they lunge at you, aswell as hearing the hiss of a black headcrab a second before it hits you.

Clocktower - A cunt with massive scissors chases you down endless corridors and you're a little girl, gave me nightmares I think.

Eternal Darkness - Pretty much the entire game, although the poor combat mechanics were perhaps the most terrifying lol.

Alter Ego - Being raped, tortured and murdered by a convicted child molestor when I was a toddler, that sequence was absolutley fucked.

Gun-Nut
06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Last one I can remember was when I was quite young playing Half-Life 1 :)

I believe its the first time you encounter a headcrab? Headcrab jumps out at you from a dark vent in the room full of water with electric running though it :) Scared the crap out of me had to play the game with the sound off :( though can play it just find now :)

Molneze3
06-02-2008, 11:30 PM
It is impossible to have just one scary moment. I'll post all of mine. They will contain spoilers:

Go play Silent Hill 3 people. That game is just an excuse to play a horror movie. It's so god dam scary.
That F.e.a.r part that everybody mentioned. Going down the ladder, seeing Alma, hit the bottom and turn left, ZOMG PAXTION FETTLE ZOMGOMGOMGOMOMG I R HAS NEED NEW PANTS.
The part in Bioshock in Arcadia, when you follow the splicer around at the beginning and head to the table. You look at the mask, and the lights go out, and they turn back on, and theres a shadow on the wall. Then you turn around, AND THERE IS A HOUDINI SPLICER STARING AT YOU. I love that game.
In the first condemned, when your in the first level and the vagrant jumps up at you from the stairs when you look over the balcony.
In condemned 2, the 2nd level is just basically a place to scare you shitless. Every corner there is always something.
The distorted breasts in DOA: XBV are just rerrifying.
My scariest moment was probably playing Manhunt for PS2. I was on the last level. As soon as it starts, you run down the hall and turn right, then run down that hall. Just as you get to the end of the hall, A FAT GUY WEARING A DEAD PIGS HEAD AND SKIN WITH A CHAINSAW COMES OUT OF NOW EHRE FROM THE ADJACENT HALLWAY. I threw my controller so hard. By the time it had hit the ground, "Piggsy" had already chopped away at my intestines. Manhunt is to this day, my most favourite game.

You weren't joking about that part in the Original Condemned! On when he jumps up at you from the staircase while you are using your forensic tool. I have never jumped so high in a video game before! That scared the crap out of me. But i don't think it was the first level, unless we're thinking of different parts

sullydavid
06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I see a lot of votes for BioShock in here. For me though hands down the scariest game I ever played was System Shock 2 on the PC. The whole thing was just so creepy. The only game I ever had to turn the lights back on to play.

OMGIZZLEZ
06-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Two words:

Pyramid Head

*shivers*

Stinkyf1re
06-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Two words:

Pyramid Head

*shivers*

I'm so glad to see some SilentHill2 fans in here. That was the first game that literally scared me shitless. I honestly had a hard time finishing it due to having to stop playing every 10 minutes because i was shaking.

As for recent games..

the fucking bear in condemned 2

YouTube - Condemned 2-Holy Crap thats a Bear!

scared the shit out me worse than these guys

aussiegamer
06-06-2008, 05:53 AM
In Bioshock when you see the shadow of the doctor (or whateve) then it goes dark and his shadow is gone. Creepy as fuck.

Bolt
06-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Condemened 1 freaked me out and so did silent hill 3

Ben Sharpe
06-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Silent Hill 2, the vest majority of it really
Alone in the Dark, that is the best horror francise just behind SH, completly terrifying
But the one scariest moment ever has to be the Dentist bit in Bioshock (a close second was the underground bit with the Weapon Upgrade and the splicer appears behind you)