PDA

View Full Version : Games Proggressing too fast?

Sportsman11
05-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey, well I have a thing that bothers me..All these new games coming out and never been able to play older ones. It's probably just me being busy all the time to never get all this stuff. But, with all these new cool games coming out I find it hard to get the older ones. I guess I'll just have to go faster... lol.

hoernchen
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
there is something to this statement. i mean years ago, you got about 1 really great game every 3 or 4 months and the rest was sideshow. now there are nearly monthly must haves and a load of great other titles. so i guess we all need to buckle up on dat gaming... ;)

V0NST3V3
05-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Its also a case of not having the money available to go out every month and buy one or two new games.

I came to the 360 quite late so now im buying the new games and old ones to play and add to my collection, its getting expensive :(

Bax x360a
05-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm certainly not moaning about having a wide choice of awesome games! The more the merrier in my opinion. Plus, there isn't one 360 game you couldn't get hold of if you wanted it enough; look on Ebay, Amazon, rental sites etc... Somewhere or someone is bound to have a copy.

hoernchen
05-22-2008, 10:22 PM
i'm not moaning either, but it's just such a wide variety, that an average person simply cannot put enough money or time into it, to get all of those games... ;)

Parkerktm
05-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm certainly not moaning about having a wide choice of awesome games! The more the merrier in my opinion. Plus, there isn't one 360 game you couldn't get hold of if you wanted it enough; look on Ebay, Amazon, rental sites etc... Somewhere or someone is bound to have a copy.

I agree, i love having a wide selection of games but if you don't play for 2-3 weeks and you get a week with 3-4 U.S. releases you get behind and it's very hard to catch back up, unless summers coming up and your still in school. ;)

Bax x360a
05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
It's not a competition to play and complete every game though. Pick the games you play carefully so you only play the class titles and avoid the pure crap that gets released these days.

Sportsman11
Yeah great points made. I don't have so much cash or time really and I'm falling WAY behind. I guess I'll just have to rent more or something. If you think your behind I haven't even played Gears of War yet...

Bax: In no way it's a competition I just mean playing the game for fun.

muters
I know what you mean, I guess all you can do is try to prioritise which games you play first. I mean, don't rush to play a new release if you'd have more fun playing something that's been out for two years.

Have to say though, I do always find myself rushing through games, knowing that there's something else I want to be playing, and not having the attention-span to have half a dozen games on the go at a time. But I suppose always having something exciting and new to play isn't exactly a bad thing! :)

neoadorable
05-23-2008, 12:53 AM
hmm interesting point but i believe they're actually coming out at a slower pace than in previous generations. if i remember correctly the 8 and 16 eras had an average of like 20 games a month per platfrom, they were much cheaper and less complicated to make.

these days we average what, three per platform a month? maybe five.

your problem and the problem most of us have is twofold:

1. games are much longer and more involved than in the past - they generally take longer and require more effort to play end to end, esp. with MP in mind.

2. we have less time across the board for leisure - this cuts across all segments of the global population. people have to work harder to make less money than they did in the 80's.

so there you go. wait til we get Matrix-style games, those'll be a bitch to finish. i'd say around 2030-2040, it's a comin...

Method
05-23-2008, 05:38 AM
This is why I bought a game pass from blockbuster. They still have games like NBA 2K6 sitting on the shelves. This lets me play a lot more games for a lot less and not have to worry about waiting too long.

Parkerktm
05-23-2008, 06:53 AM
It's not a competition to play and complete every game though. Pick the games you play carefully so you only play the class titles and avoid the pure crap that gets released these days.

Yea, I only play good games for points and fun. I refuse to rent any 2K6 games, etc. even though there easy points.

BUt I'm honestly like 3-4 months behind! :(

Royle
05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
What annoys me is when like 3 or 4 good games come out in a month because it breaks my bank account. This means I want to spend like 100 quid on some brand new games. I'd prefer if they brought out 1 good game each month and then the shitty ones come out at the same time but hardly anyone buys them.

omgyjya_switch7
05-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Something I have noticed is that games seem to come and go very quickly. What is the top game this month is completely forgotten about the next. I very rarely buy games on release, I can quite happily wait a year for it to come down in price, but when I do, they seem to disappear quickly. Everybody moves on before I even complete the last bandwagon game...

CoachCO62
05-25-2008, 11:24 PM
To all you people complaining abotu gaming time and money; wait to you get married and then wait until the kids come along, you will see that you have no money or time for games; I used to play about 40 hours a week in college even while working two jobs, I got married and was able to play maybe 25 hours a week after the wife went to sleep while watching a movie or if she was working late. Then the dogs came and that cut another 6 hours a week out of gaming time between walks and playing, now the kid came along and I 4-6 hours a week in, on my days off she is at work and when he takes his naps I get to play(sometimes If its a game like GTA I can get a mission in before work.) If he dont nap I am out of luck. As far as new games go if it wasnt for a 75 dollar gift card(GTA IV) from blockbuster the last new game I got was a long time ago that she bought me and complained that I played, I think it was COD 4 but it might have been Lego Star Wars.

Point being, gaming time gets reduced more and more. Now once the kid starts really talking and interested in doing thing besides toys well gaming will be down to when the house is asleep and I can get hopefully 45 minutes a night in.

loren83
05-26-2008, 12:12 AM
To all you people complaining abotu gaming time and money; wait to you get married and then wait until the kids come along, you will see that you have no money or time for games; I used to play about 40 hours a week in college even while working two jobs, I got married and was able to play maybe 25 hours a week after the wife went to sleep while watching a movie or if she was working late. Then the dogs came and that cut another 6 hours a week out of gaming time between walks and playing, now the kid came along and I 4-6 hours a week in, on my days off she is at work and when he takes his naps I get to play(sometimes If its a game like GTA I can get a mission in before work.) If he dont nap I am out of luck. As far as new games go if it wasnt for a 75 dollar gift card(GTA IV) from blockbuster the last new game I got was a long time ago that she bought me and complained that I played, I think it was COD 4 but it might have been Lego Star Wars.

Point being, gaming time gets reduced more and more. Now once the kid starts really talking and interested in doing thing besides toys well gaming will be down to when the house is asleep and I can get hopefully 45 minutes a night in.

I understand this completely. I only get to game after 11pm so my days go like this. Work from 8am-5pm. Kids from 5pm-9pm while the wife is at school. Wife from 9pm-11pm. Gaming from 11pm-2am. Rinse and repeat. Doesn't leave time for much sleep.

CoachCO62
05-26-2008, 01:48 AM
I understand this completely. I only get to game after 11pm so my days go like this. Work from 8am-5pm. Kids from 5pm-9pm while the wife is at school. Wife from 9pm-11pm. Gaming from 11pm-2am. Rinse and repeat. Doesn't leave time for much sleep.

I feel your pain wasnt it easier (not necessarily better) being single and able to play from 5PM-3AM?

Bolt
05-26-2008, 03:12 AM
there's not to many games coming out this summer so you've got time to catch up

gatorbait
05-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Something I have noticed is that games seem to come and go very quickly. What is the top game this month is completely forgotten about the next. I very rarely buy games on release, I can quite happily wait a year for it to come down in price, but when I do, they seem to disappear quickly. Everybody moves on before I even complete the last bandwagon game...

I agree 100%. You hear so much about a game for months and then it finally comes out only to get very little mention a few weeks later. There are so many new games I continue to want to play as well as new ones but there simply is not enough time. I enjoy the games I play but I just wish I had more time to get to others.

I kind of miss the days when you only had a handful of games that you really wanted to play and the rest were just sort of there. Now it seems like we're getting hit with an enjoyable game week after week.

neoadorable
05-26-2008, 03:52 AM
don't get me wrong, i love games dearly, but i find that on the rare days i decide to stay in and simply game, it's hard to focus. there's always some distraction, or i get all antsy and weird-feeling. conversely, when i get an hour or so late in the evening after work, it's much more focused and fun. any idea how to better get in the mood?

loren83
05-26-2008, 06:14 PM
I feel your pain wasnt it easier (not necessarily better) being single and able to play from 5PM-3AM?

Yeah it was definitely easier and actually better in some respects but I wouldn't go back to that. Not after having my kids. I guess we all have to grow up sometime right?

Jdm
05-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah it was definitely easier and actually better in some respects but I wouldn't go back to that. Not after having my kids. I guess we all have to grow up sometime right?

We do have to grow up.;)

Before, I was running my PS2 almost non-stop. When Gran Turismo 4 was released, I was on that night and day. Yeah, that didn't sound right.:p Seriously, now I rarely get a chance to play video games.

When I was working, I was way too tired to play anything. I barely squeezed in anytime for it.

Going back to the topic, I'm not a person to purchase a game when it is first released. There are a few exceptions, but it's rare for me to do that. Games always get hyped up from Magazines to Commercials. It's all an advertising schemes, in my opinion. I've read about and seen so many games, but were are they now?

I will name a few. Turok, TimeShift, Blue Dragon, and Dark Sector. Many people still talk about GoW and that was released, how long ago?

My point is, there is no need to rush yourself when it comes to the Gaming Industry. The games will always be here waiting for you. Take your time with your current games and soon enough, you'll start seeing those "new" games dropping in price.;)

CoachCO62
05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Well in addition to the things I mentioned about not being able to play, I have realized many games have not lived up to the hype; not that I have played it but I remember when I firs started posting to this site, Mass Effect was coming out and I had posted that it was going to go the way of Lost Planet, I also felt the same thing about Assasin's Creed (Again I have never played it). Games are way too hyped, only certain games have replay value and the onyl one that I have played recently that seems to have replay value are the Lego games, they are fun and also GTA seems like it will have high replay value. Certain games every year are going to be fun to play (Madden, Smackdown vs. Raw) and these games are constantly getting 6/10 ratings where I saw Halo 3 get a 9/10 and now playing it the game seems very slow paced.

Jdm
05-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Well in addition to the things I mentioned about not being able to play, I have realized many games have not lived up to the hype; not that I have played it but I remember when I firs started posting to this site, Mass Effect was coming out and I had posted that it was going to go the way of Lost Planet, I also felt the same thing about Assasin's Creed (Again I have never played it). Games are way too hyped, only certain games have replay value and the onyl one that I have played recently that seems to have replay value are the Lego games, they are fun and also GTA seems like it will have high replay value. Certain games every year are going to be fun to play (Madden, Smackdown vs. Raw) and these games are constantly getting 6/10 ratings where I saw Halo 3 get a 9/10 and now playing it the game seems very slow paced.

We think alike.;)

This was exactly my point. It's all on the "hype". Some games live off it and others don't. This is where games go shooting under the radar after a certain period of time.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, I haven't even opened it since my Girlfriend bought it for me on my Birthday(January).:p