PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting tired of this "collecting" staple?

JesusBread
05-25-2008, 04:12 AM
I know most developers suck at creating achievements, but what the hell is it with all these collecting achievements?

I don't want to kill/collect 200 birds.
I don't want to collect over 500 flags.
I don't want to collect COG tags(although, I really didn't mind these as much because they were easy and there weren't many).
I don't want to collect 300 hidden orbs.
I don't want to collect 500 agility orbs.
I don't want to collect anything else for achievements.

Developers really need to start getting more creative. Enough with this "Lets hide things in the game so gamers have to go find a guide and use it to get an achievement" thing. Frankly, it's old and very tiresome. Anyone hating these collecting achievements or am I just going crazy?

Just so I don't get any witty comments like "Well, don't collect things then," I would like to explain myself. I'm a perfectionist, sort of. I just like 100%'ing my games. My gamer card doesn't show it very well though. Still working on finishing up older games.

Dragon Viper
05-25-2008, 07:48 AM
I am with you, I can't stand haveing to collect a whole bunch of crap. GoW haveing 30 cogs was ok still didn't like it. I don't even think the stuff we r asked to collect do anything but unlock an achievement and in some or most cases bonus content(whoopdy do). It is just an easy way to fill up their achievement lists and get people to play longer even though some times it makes them hate the game by the time they get done collecting the useless crap.

KENMACK39
05-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah i agree, but they have to put in something that is pretty hard to achieve.

v_thorne
05-25-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree. It's annoying and boring. I have still yet to go back and get all the flags/templars in AC. Or all the COG tags. I'm definently not going for the orbs anytime soon either.

Especially in the "easy 1000" games, they're normally always there.

alex4283
05-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Strangely, these are the achievements that I enjoy the most. I guess I just like to explore. I've done all orbs, all AC flags, and am really looking forward to the pidgeons on gta4. As long as the open world layouts are new and creative, I don't mind searching for things.

kentarulez
05-25-2008, 09:13 AM
You can find most of them in one plathrough anyway, but it does take up valuable time if you are trying to collect everything before moving on, and it does annoy me.... although sometimes they are quite fun.

hoernchen
05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't want to collect COG tags.

Developers really need to start getting more creative. Enough with this "Lets hide things in the game so gamers have to go find a guide and use it to get an achievement" thing. Frankly, it's old and very tiresome.
... so true

muters
05-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't mind them so much if there's some way of tracking which you're missing and the general area where they might be. For example, a game with a level select that tells you exactly what you're missing on each stage isn't so bad. What I hate is something like the Lambda caches in Half Life 2, where you have a checklist of how many you're missing, but no clue as to where they might be. So you could be missing one and there'd be no way of knowing which it was, you'd have to search every inch of the entire game for it.

Having said that, collectables are completely intolerable when they're only there for the sake of it, which seems to be the case most of the time. I take an instant liking to any game that doesn't have them. I'm sure part of the reason I enjoyed Iron Man was because I didn't have to waste any time looking for floating dollar signs or anything.

Daywalker-san
05-25-2008, 11:55 AM
COG tags i enjoyed as i loved playing through it repetedly, but flags i wouldent do as creed got on my nerves after the story

kiwi18
05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Flags = suck
Orbs = sucks
Cog Tags = Fun because only 30
Pigeons = sucks

I agree, stop making these achievements already.

Royle
05-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah but it does add a bit more replay value to the games. It may be dull but look at Crackdown after you complete it you can go and collect all the orbs it adds a few frustrating more hours but you still have something to play for longer.

DeltaZ360
05-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I despise these. I did Assassin's Creed and found myself with 1 flag and 1 templar nowhere to be found. At least they could have made it like Bully: where after you complete a certain amount of the game you have the option to have those things appear on the map.

I'm just finishing up bioshock and I really did mind collecting the audio tapes. They added quite a bit to the story and were a good addition (unlike pointless flags rawr!!).

Molneze3
05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Of course everyones going to say the "cog tags" wern't that bad cuz the game rocked! But yes, too many "hidden items" or "Hidden collectibels" suck! I am too sick of all the games with going around finding stuff. A game with one or two hidden items per level is ok, but enough of this open game with 100-200 "collectibles" that is just annoying!

JesusBread
05-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I am with you, I can't stand haveing to collect a whole bunch of crap. GoW haveing 30 cogs was ok still didn't like it. I don't even think the stuff we r asked to collect do anything but unlock an achievement and in some or most cases bonus content(whoopdy do). It is just an easy way to fill up their achievement lists and get people to play longer even though some times it makes them hate the game by the time they get done collecting the useless crap.

If I wanted to play this game once I beat it, I would. I don't need achievements forcing me to go back to the game.

Method
05-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I agree. Especially in games like Assassin's Creed where the flags did NOTHING for you. At least in Crackdown the orbs increased your stats.

What The Buck?
05-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I hate these kind of achievements...

And Battlefield: Bad Company has got them too i think.:mad:

omgyjya_switch7
05-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Although I do hate these kind of achievements, I still prefer them to 'kill X amount of people with certain weapon' and 'host X map X amount of times' etc etc...

roy1751
05-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Collection achievements are only there for one thing: selling game guides on day one of game release. After the game is out, either scans or user made maps are up for anyone that knows better than buying their overpriced crap.

Blame lies with the publishers of the game, who get a pittance of return on these sales, in exchange for frustrating the hell out of people that actually playing their games.

As far as these being achievements, they wouldn't be that bad if there was tracking and a waypoint for the items still missing. But most games have a 'kill x of this' and 'find x of this' achievements with no way to look up how far along you are, and where the missing item is. I suppose this is meant to be a secret. But video games are a digital medium. Printed maps are an analog medium. You mean to tell me that I need to go back and forth between these to find everything. Why isn't there a waypoint on the map, at least as a reward for beating the game?

Using Assassins Creed as an example, notice that when in map view you can hit the trigger and see all the waypoints for the hiding locations. Is there any other reason why they didn't put in spots for the flags as well. An ancient game like Just Cause had them, and no wonder it was my first 1000.

Ashande
05-26-2008, 04:48 AM
I don't generally have issues with collectibles, provided they have a purpose. IE: In the older GTAs, for every 10 of the doodads you grabbed, you unlocked a free weapon at your safe house. Yay! I get something! This pleases me.

I like collectibles if they have some sort of plot significance or otherwise alter my experience, even if they don't give me a goody (IE: Bioshock. The diaries may not have been of great importance, but they add a lot to the feel of the game).

I accept collectibles if I get videos or concept art; not my favorite thing (see above; give me in-game goodies, please!), but at least I don't feel like I'm doing it for nothing other than 20G.

When collectibles don't do a damn thing for you (I'm looking at you, Assassin's Creed), this is when I get frustrated. I scour the world, make some crazy jumps even even crazier escapes in my attempt to hunt down every last Templar and play Capture the Flag 500 times... and I get... nothing. Nothing whatsoever. Blah, says I!

Anyway. Just my opinion.

IRONMAN
05-26-2008, 04:50 AM
you know, they are not all the bad. Before you put me on the firing squad target line, let me explain. I got all the agility orbs for Crackdown, & am missing 3 hidden orbs. I got all these orbs legit as well.. I liked the game, so that really helped, but when i got the achievement for getting all 500...i was pretty pumped.

I know it can be really annoying & im not saying i love doing it..but once its done, (even legit maybe), its worth it. But overall..ive had enough after that haha...

Augustus
05-26-2008, 04:51 AM
You know what I really like? To walk or drive long distances.

I really like that.

naptownsteeler
05-26-2008, 04:54 AM
When they do something for you I can deal with it as long as its not 800(crackdown). When they make you do it for nothing(GTA4-200) I hate it.

niacine
05-26-2008, 04:02 PM
When they do something for you I can deal with it as long as its not 800(crackdown). When they make you do it for nothing(GTA4-200) I hate it.

The time sink of simulated travel is horrible, I hated going anywhere in oblivion for the first time. but at least there was fast travel to places you had been. I am trying to think of a better example... oh well

In so much as collectibles, I can't say they are my fave thing to do, but i do think when you get something other then GS their value is far more. Sadly by the time i start working on collectibles I am generally done with the game anyways and just wanting to move on.

Lucent Beam
05-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I think sometime the collecting can be fun as long as it's not overdoing it... and as long as someone else made a guide for me to use!

Parkerktm
05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
I think the majority of the xbox 360 community will agree with you. I have collecting items, as you'll often miss one without a guide and then have to go back and look over everything again. There pointless and in most games have no relevance to the actual game IMO

J eVeRy DaY 514
05-27-2008, 10:48 AM
though i agree that collecting random shit is boring and most of the time pointless; i would still rather collect everything than say... beat the game with every character/beat every difficulty/win with every team, etc.

Godge
05-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah assassins creed is a right bitch for collecting things and so is crackdown, it gets on my nerves a bit too.

daninthemix
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
The cog tags were cool but Crackdown and Assassin's Creed took the piss. Even Blue Dragon is more fun than this, because even though you have to hunt down 390 different items and 290 different monsters, at least they were all different and served a purpose.

SuperGaz
05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't want to collect COG tags(although, I really didn't mind these as much because they were easy and there weren't many).

i agree to some extent i mean the 500 agility orbs were stupid but did do it, i think that it wouldnt be as taxing if the collected items had some tie in with the story.

Take Gears of War 2, their making all the cog tags in the second game contain a couple of blocks of text from that particular soldier that helps explain the story a little better which is a nice touch plus it helps to make the collecting part of the game. Same with Halo 3 and the terminals.

If developers could integrate these items better then maybe more people would make the effort to find them out.

jackanape
05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
I think collection tasks can be fun if they are consistent with the game world you're playing in. The audio diaries in Bioshock, for example, added great background and story to what was happening so they served a purpose. Whereas postcards in Cars or agility orbs in Crackdown just seem to have been thrown in there to extend the longevity of the game rather than for a constructive reason.

Not looking forward to pigeon hunting in GTA either, when I finally get around to it. As if that game didn't give you more than enough to see and do anyway, the developers are taking the piss.

ZiM1021
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of collecting anything in a game. I think the only one I actually did completely was Bully because, as previously stated, not all of the areas are opened at the start of the game. It only allowed certain areas, so you could only collect so many things, breaking up the boredom. If more games went down this route, I might not have a problem collecting things but I highly doubt it.

gatorbait
05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
These achievements do grow old. Some I truly don't mind since they are a nice way to explore the level. I like them more in open world games compared to individual levels because it's annoying worrying about the level and still trying to take the time to realize where you are in relation to the next collectible. I love GTA IV but these pigeons seem like a bit of a hassle and Crackdown was the worst. I actually did do the hidden orbs because it was cool to see where all these 'hidden' 300 orbs were but then they throw you 500 agility orbs as if you didn't get your fill of fun with the first 300. But it is something that will never go away and with achievements it is a great way for companies to 'add' something more to their game.

o0EVIL0o x360a
05-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Better question is who "isn't" getting tired of it. Meanwhile I'm on the site looking for info on the tags and cds in Saint's Row. lol

patches4711
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM
It is a way to add longevity to games and that is why they are there. Most of the times they are not to bad and I do not mind doing them. I actually enjoyed ord hunting in crackdown with a friend. I still have to go back and collect postcards in cars (grrr...)

the_b1ues
05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I dont mind the collecting its when your left with one or 2 of something and you have to hunt hours to find it. They need something like the simpson game did. After you have collected the item its will fade out but you can still see this way you no what youve collected and havnt

loren83
05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
I am quite tired of collecting items, especially on awful games like X-Men: The Official Game. Some collecting is okay but 6 items per level over the course of 20 levels on a game as terrible as this one just gets old. I will go back and collect the flags on Assassins Creed since I really enjoyed that game.

MightyWingo
05-27-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't mind the collecting achievements so much as long as its not crazy like 500 or something. It can be fun to explore the worlds just as long as they don't go too overboard.