PDA

View Full Version : X-Box Live Arcade Downloadable Guide??

aPerfektFIaw
08-09-2006, 07:51 AM
okay this is a shot in the dark and maybe it will work, or maybe it wont... im just looking for opinions...

I used to be a web designer in my teenage years and always had fun doing it... I was wondering if I made a downloadable XBLA guide, would people download it??

I would put everything I can in it (with everyones permission, plus things you don't see on the site)... maybe update it every 2-4 weeks and get as many people involved as I can...

okay, you might not be picturing exactly what im saying so ill try to show you what i mean a little more clearly...

So you're sitting on X-Box Live and decide to go for those hard to get achievements in the Arcade. You get up and walk over to your computer (now in some cases people get shit slow internet connection when theyre connected through their computer or are on a network... while in other RARE cases people have to dial up)... you don't feel like turning off your X-Box just to turn it back on again so you double click an icon on your desktop which brings you to an offline webpage style format of an XBLA guide...

once in the guide you click on the game you are looking for and it holds tons of information about the game, including box art, screen shots, guides, cheats... possibly even video tutorials...
so you click the game you want, then click the guide and its there instantly...

Or even for those who don't have a live arcade game looking for info like how much?, or screen shots, and (if you're up for it) this sites administrators thoughts on the games... sort of like mini reviews done by the admin and other top people from this site...

now if i can get a positive reaction out of my idea, i would just need permission from Guide writers (if i can't get permission I'll write my own) and permission from the admin to advertise the download here, or even if they want they can advertise and host the file... it won't cost anything... and its an alternative to searching on google for different things when all you have to do is click on one icon and all the info is there... and an alternative to some who have to turn off their xbox, or sign out of live to get a better internet connection...

EDIT: also another might work/might not idea... with every release I would like to try and put on setup dates for the older arcade games where people can sign on and KNOW theyll find a co-op partner... so say you're looking for that one co-op achievement you can't get in Joust, in the guide, you click on Joust and under LIVE PLAY DATE, Joust has a set date for Saturday August 19th @ 7pm EST and Sunday Aug 20th @ 5pm EST (or whatever the majority decides is fair)... so everyone who really wants that achievement knows there will be people on to help (if it works out right)

any questions, thoughts, suggestions?? let me know... i would appreciate feedback from the admin as well...

killerjt
08-09-2006, 09:37 AM
It would be nice, but is it worth all that work? It is hard for me to say without seeing a timplate. If you want to help out the site then do some achievment guides fir some of the arcade games.

Muta32
08-09-2006, 11:39 AM
(Off topic-my internet speed is fine, I have DSL)
On-Topic: It is hard for me to imagine this without a template as well

Ok it sounds like a good idea but you wrote about this making things more convienient for people with slow connections and dial up. Immidiatly after that you wrote what would be on your guides.

once in the guide you click on the game you are looking for and it holds tons of information about the game, including box art, screen shots, guides, cheats... possibly even video tutorials...
so you click the game you want, then click the guide and its there instantly...

So what I'm wondering is for all the people out there with SUPER SLOW connections:
Won't all of the media on the guide (box art, screenshots, video tutorials) slow down the slowpokes even more?
Are you going to put all the multimedia on a different page or something?

Minty
08-09-2006, 11:41 AM
What your on about creating then is a replica of this site???

aPerfektFIaw
08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
the file will be RAR zipped so itll be a quick little download... and updates will be even faster...

no not a replica of this site... just all the gathered information smushed together (plus more info than the site has) and made available offline...
it would in no way replicate this site to a T, the only thing im asking permission for is from the people who wrote the guides if they will let me use them and i give them credit...

and even if you are always online, like having DSL, it would be easier and faster to access... especially with the given circumstances i shined light on in my original post

if i make a template, something small, just look at it and see what i mean if you want... ill start on that now and post a download link later today or tomorrow

Muta32
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Not all computers come with WinRAR. If it's going to be .RAR you'll need to post a link to their website as well so that people can unzip the files

Psycence
08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
WinRAR is easy to work though so its a good choice, plus you can use the free trial to unzip it.

Anyone who can download the guides could easily do the same for WinRAR, I think its a fairly good idea as I could stick guides on my laptop instead of printing a million and one sheets out :uzi: