PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War - worth $68? (canadian)

-ToXiN-
05-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Ive been really hyped up about Gears of War. The original and 2. So i wanted to get the original, i went to get today after school. I went to Futureshop, but they didnt have it. I also went to Walmart, but they also didnt have it. NOw, at both of these places it owuld have cost $60 + GST, so thats $63. However, I really wanted GoW, so i walked over to Superstore, which is like half an hour to way. They did have it, but it cost $65 + GST so thats $68. I was kinda mad that I walked all that way and its 65$ for a year and a half old game that has a sequel soming out in a few months anyway (though i really want to play the original beforehand).But i bought it anyway...

So anyway, now im home and im kinda wondering, should I return it? I know its a bad deal, getting ripped off of $5... My parents are prly going to Superstore tomorrow anyway, so I can return it then... But the thing is that i really want Gears, and it wasnt at any other nearby stores. EB probably has it but i have to be over 18 to get it there, and my dad (just knownig him) probablly wont want to drive all the way there... (and maybe at Eb i could it probably get it used for a LOT cheaper, which makes the $68 really sting.... , or i saw halo 3 used for $40 at blockbuster but i really wanted GoW so i passed that up and im not sure if theyll sell me an M rated game without ID at blockbuster anyway... nevertheless it just makes the extra $ i paid feel bad...) So really, if i return it, I may not have a chance to get it, as i am going on a long trip in a month, and when i come back itll already be late August and there are so many new great games coming out that time so i probably wont get GoW then....

So, should i return GoW, and hope i can get for cheaper, maybe used? Or maybe consider trying to get the used Halo 3 for $40 at blockbuster? (although I never played really liked the first 2, played some over at my friends and didnt like em much, and i wouldnt know whats going in the story, but 3's MP is intriguing me....)

(wow, what a waste of time typing this all up, oh well, got nothing better to do.... )

v_thorne
05-30-2008, 09:51 PM
It's not going any lower for a long time.
Just keep it if you really want it.
Or you could return it and wait for the new one that's coming out with all the gamer pics and such in it.

Jdm
05-31-2008, 05:26 AM
The decision is up to you, Toxin.

For me personally, I would return it because it's not worth retail price any more. I have three copies of GoW and I never once paid retail for any one of them.

When GoW was first released, I bought a Brand New copy from my friend for $50.00.

My 2nd copy, I purchased used from another friend for $30.00.

My last copy, I purchased off eBay for also around $30.00.

I guarantee you that you can find copies of GoW and Halo 3 for much cheaper. Whether it be online or at other stores.;)

IRONMAN
05-31-2008, 05:38 AM
get it used man, im sure a Blockbuster selling it cheaper used (but they have shit prices too..).. I wouldn't pay that much for GOW..

antnie
05-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Is the one that you have a collectors edition, if it is I would keep it, if it is not, I would still keep it. I am a big Gears of War fan, but like JDM said it is all up to you.

Parkerktm
05-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Actually it was released that on June 4th i believe Gears of War will have a universal price drop to $40 US

-ToXiN-
05-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Well anyway, I just returned it.

Actually it was released that on June 4th i believe Gears of War will have a universal price drop to $40 US

Yea I saw that too. Unfortunately, it comes out June 24 for the re-release, and i am going on vacation the 28th for a month and a half. And when i come back itll be august and all these great new games im anticipating (mercs 2, too human, midnight club LA, saints row 2) are gonna be hittin shelves...

So screw the re-release, that's too late for me.
I wanted Gow to play for the 2 weeks of no school I have BEFORE i go off on the 28th.

Now, the question is, do i try to find a used GoW, maybe get it off a friend? Or maybe i should go with a used Halo 3, and then theres Grid coming out soon... Decisions, decisions....

Jdm
06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Well anyway, I just returned it.

Yea I saw that too. Unfortunately, it comes out June 24 for the re-release, and i am going on vacation the 28th for a month and a half. And when i come back itll be august and all these great new games im anticipating (mercs 2, too human, midnight club LA, saints row 2) are gonna be hittin shelves...

So screw the re-release, that's too late for me.
I wanted Gow to play for the 2 weeks of no school I have BEFORE i go off on the 28th.

Now, the question is, do i try to find a used GoW, maybe get it off a friend? Or maybe i should go with a used Halo 3, and then theres Grid coming out soon... Decisions, decisions....

GoW should be your game of choice.;)

It seems as if you have a crave for it.

atheistium
06-01-2008, 02:44 PM
that seems pretty expensive. I'd ebay it.

Zee
06-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Theres a new edition coming out for $40 (US and CAD).
http://kotaku.com/5011224/details-on-gears-of-war-re+issue-emerge
Just wait for that.

Edit: never mind didn't read the posts above mine :(. I suggest getting used like some said, or shop online. It's not the best game in the world. So if you can wait just get the re-release.

Ashz0r
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
My mate Mike just got Gears of War and Halo 3 together brand new for 16 together here in the UK which is about $30-34 I think.

kiwi18
06-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Dude, go to Gamestop...Used for here in NJ is 28$.

Daywalker-san
06-02-2008, 08:36 PM
On the UK side, Gamestation were selling it for 20 new and 15 preowned ($39 Canadian and $29 Canadian respectively) so i dont know why its so expensive where you are

Blackjaw x
06-02-2008, 08:43 PM
1 question:

Are you talking about the plaza in Oshawa, Ontario?

Ashz0r
06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I took a look on the American Amazon and its $56 new and cheapest second hand is $29.

Here in the UK its in the bloody bargain buckets brand new (They are practicaly begging you to buy them lol). I have no idea why in America the price is still so high.
Most old games drop drasticaly in price.
Even Lost Oddyssey.. and it basicaly still a new game.. one of the best selling games for xbox in the UK and I got it for 15 new in my local Gamestation. ;o

ensabahnur
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
DAMN RIGHT IT IS, But you probably want to wait now seeing as they are re releasing. Not sure if you got it

ensabahnur
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
IMO i would return it, but i might be to late, in which case, follow directions i gave from before.

dudecrazy108
06-03-2008, 10:34 PM
It is a great game. The single player is kind of short but the online is amazing and makes up for it.

Doominatorx6
06-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Yeah, this is STILL 59.99 CDN everywhere I see it. I got it preowned for 39.99, but unless you really want it I recommend you look somewhere for a used copy. Paying full price for an almost 2 year old game is just dumb.

Never Final
06-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Yea at my work its 54.99 new and 47.95 used. After its been out so long i cant believe its not lower than that. Guess its just that good of a game.

Kuledude
06-05-2008, 11:13 PM
I dont really think its worth it. Games are just getting more and more expensive each year. However i guarantee the price isnt going to go down for a while.

skatemore
06-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Go to gamestop. With my edge card today I turned in 3 games (which got 900+ achievemnet points for) and got $50. I brought 60$ with me and I already had $42 on my card. I bought:

All games used

Dead or Alive 4 $12
Dead or alive Extreme 2 $12
TimeShift $15
Dirt $35
The Bigs $20
Nhl 07 $16
Pocket Bike Racer $3 WOOT WOOT

7 games for $104.

Gears was $28 used. Save your money and buy used games. Also at gamestop you can buy used games and return them in a week and get all of your money back. Cant beat that. Its like free rentals.

zdarko43
06-05-2008, 11:49 PM
go to a gamestop or an eb games and just get a used one for like 39.99

you can also get an "edge card" and save another 10% on top of that. pretty decent deal. i mean gears of war is definitely worth the 60$ anyways

revenge7777
06-06-2008, 04:53 AM
This game right now is 40 at eb brand new

PerpetualHeaven
06-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Oh goodness, does anyone ever keep up to date on their video games? :p Wait, that's right, I'm superior to all of you. ;) I'm just playing. Anyways, wait until June 24th because on that day they're releasing Gears of War Refresh which is basically Gears of War with a ton of content. Now, this new Gears of War game will be selling at $39.99 CDN and US since games are priced exactly the same brand new in both countries. If you're wondering what's in Refresh, here's the list:

Gears of War Content

Gamer Picture Pack
Emergence Day Gamer Picture
Emergence Day Theme
"FUTURE WEAPONS" Theme
Emergence Day Message from Cliffy B
Gears of War Map Pack 1 Trailer
Gears of War - Multiplayer Map Pack 1
'Hidden Fronts' Multiplayer Map Pack 2

Gears of War 2 Content

Gamer Picture Pack
Teeth Theme
Teaser Trailer
Trailer
Assault Game Play Trailer

My recommendation would be to take it back and wait until June 24th for Refresh to come out.

Doominatorx6
06-06-2008, 08:10 PM
This is a dumb question, but isn't all the extra content in the re-release just free on XBLM? But the price drop will sell a few extra copies to the few people who dont have gears IMO

-ToXiN-
06-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Oh goodness, does anyone ever keep up to date on their video games? :p Wait, that's right, I'm superior to all of you. ;) I'm just playing. Anyways, wait until June 24th because on that day they're releasing Gears of War Refresh which is basically Gears of War with a ton of content. Now, this new Gears of War game will be selling at $39.99 CDN and US since games are priced exactly the same brand new in both countries.

If you had read my earlier post, you would know i really dont want to wait.
And yes, most of this stuff is free, except for the emergence day theme.

I got a friend who doesn't play his Gears any more, so i offered to buy it off him for $20. He gave it away to another friend, but if he can get it back, hell sell it to me for the $20, so yay, i may be potential be saving $40+ off what it costs now/ what i would have paid before, and even $20 off the re-release or EB used price :woop::woop::woop: (if he can get it for me before wednesday, then he goes off on vacation)

And, this whole experience opened my eyes to the great world of $ saving used games, at least when it comes to older games...