PDA

View Full Version : ReelGamers.com - Top Ten Most Overrated Games of the Past Decade

Weapon 117
06-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Top Ten Most Overrated Games of the Past Decade

By Brian Paterson on June 5th, 2008

http://reelgamers.com/images/over10.jpg

We’ve seen it before and we’ll undoubtedly see it again: the gaming community gets so wrapped up in a particular title in the months prior to its release that reviewers feel obligated to score the game generously. As a result, gamers are forced to sift through dozens of titles deemed “must-haves” by popular magazines and websites only to be let down a few hours into play. Reviewers are not entirely to blame though, as many developers pour millions of dollars into immense advertising campaigns, touting even the most obviously flawed games as classics. These ten titles, though esteemed by many, are irrefutably the most glorified of the past ten years, and can guarantee you’ve played at least half of them.

10. Black and White (PC)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over2.jpg

It was to be the marquee PC title of the new millennium. The premise was brilliant: the gamer assumes control of his budding nation by nurturing a creature from its infancy and training it to either unleash hell or take mercy on the land’s inhabitants. Add to the mix some of the most technically proficient visuals of its day and a number of previously inconceivable interaction options and you’d have one of the biggest selling PC games of all time – IGN awarded this title a 9.7, being swept up in the hype like a crinkled dollar in the wind. The truth is, Black and White’s baffling interface condemned it from the beginning. Communicating with your villagers was a chore, controls were a nightmare, and the creatures handled like a deafblind on Vicodin. Sadly, even when Black and White shined, tedium broke in almost immediately, making even the simplest tasks nearly unbearable to perform. If there is ever a third Black and White, here’s hoping to better execution on Molyneux’s part.

9. Dead or Alive Series (PSX, PS2, Xbox, 360)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over1.jpg

Breasts. They’ve been a staple of the Dead or Alive series for years, and it remains an instant hit with thousands of pre-pubescent teenagers and middle-aged bachelors alike. Unfortunately for Tomonobu Itagaki, of Ninja Gaiden fame, it was not until the second iteration of Dead or Alive where the industry first took notice and that was for one thing: its astounding visuals. Not only were the buxom characters the most intricately detailed on any console fighting game but its environments were fully destructible, consisting of multiple levels to throw enemies (or be thrown) from. However, beyond DOA’s graphics, its shallow gameplay could not compete with the likes of Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur and Tekken. Furthering the shameless exploitation of Team Ninja’s series are Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball and Dead or Alive XTREME 2, in which gamers compete in beach mini-games and participate in photo shoots, amongst other things.

8. The Getaway (PS2)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over3.jpg

Many eager gamers called Sony’s title Grand Theft Auto: London in the preceding months leading to its release, however, they could not foresee the uncompromising technical problems (there is zero user interface), lack of any sense of direction whilst driving and flawed action sequences marring the experience. Like so many gamers who compared the original Killzone to Halo, The Getaway could not even hold a candle to Rockstar’s renowned series. Though it was a success commercially thanks to a colossal PR push, it failed to attain the cinematic “realism” it strived for. The one thing The Getaway did achieve was the first use of the word “fuck” in a videogame, something millions of gamers undoubtedly said more than once during their time with it.

7. Crazy Taxi (DC)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over4.jpg

I will assuredly be receiving copious amounts of flak for this title appearing on my list, but to this day, I believe that some games should remain strictly in the arcades. The House of the Dead, Cruisin’ USA, Metal Slug, and Crazy Taxi are a few of them. While furiously rampaging across Sega’s virtual city is a blast for about ten minutes, I found myself disinterested after a couple playthroughs. I’m sure gamers could think of something better to do than shuffle around virtual citizens by taxi to The Offspring’s “All I Want” every three minutes. And goodie, when you’re finished with the arcade mode, you can play a “pop the balloons” mini-game! Sorry Sega, Crazy Taxi would have made an excellent PSN or XBL title, but shelling out fifty beans for it when it can be played for two quarters at the movies was asking a lot.

6. Harvest Moon (Multi)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over5.jpg

The Harvest Moon series earned itself a reputation amongst a small contingent of gamers beginning with Harvest Moon for the SNES and continuing through the currently in development Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility for Wii. I understand the concept, work on a farm performing all the tasks a real farmer would, but what exactly is the draw? Is performing a menial task within a video game more entertaining than performing it in real life? Apparently, of course it is! Why slop around in pig slop all day when you can sow seeds and milk adorable Japanese cows in Harvest Moon? Call me shallow, but one job is more than enough. Games are meant as an escape from the monotony of labor, not a harsh reminder.

5. Fable (Xbox)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over6.jpg

I hate to do this to Mr. Molyneux, I honestly do. In the four years prior to Fable’s release, Lionhead Studios turned to their ambitious lead designer to create a persistent world with motivating characters and a memorable story. What gamers received was a nine-hour dose of morphine that crammed a cliché narrative down their throats. In addition, its repetitive combat and confined environments drastically reduced the title’s enjoyability. Apparently Molyneux, who pinned Fable as a groundbreaking game, disregarded the fact that story is essential in any RPG; that is, the will to fight can only be present if there is something to fight for. Unfortunately, millions of gamers fell victim to Fable’s unending hype and false promises, making it one of the most detested titles in gaming today.

4. Need for Speed Carbon, ProStreet (Multi)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over8.jpg

The Need for Speed series is universally known to gamers for its arcade-style gameplay, customization features and free-roaming worlds. However, the gaming public has not seen a “great” Need for Speed title since Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit for the Playstation 2. Every other year, it seems Electronic Arts shovels out an additional NFS title to add to the already looming pile, to which millions of gamers will purchase and instantly regret. Its tired mechanics and contrived formula have zero substance, and when pitted against other modern day racers such as Forza 2, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Ridge Racer 7 and GRiD, it’s difficult at this point to understand why anyone would go back.

3. The Sims (PC)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over7.jpg

The ultimate time waster – what better way to spend your day than watching a miniature version of yourself perform the everyday tasks you should be doing in real life. Who needs companionship when you can find romance in The Sims? Need a snack? Don’t bother eating those Ranch Doritos that have been taunting you from the pantry, just request a virtual meal in The Sims; it’s just as good, and has zero calories to boot! I apologize, but I abhor most everything about this title, from the Simolean gibberish to the “one second equals one minute” game clock to the whiny, low self esteemed characters. The final straw came when my Sims left for work and I was left with an empty home. I was staring at a screen with nothing going on, and I had paid fifty dollars to do so.

2. Nintendogs (DS)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over9.jpg

Miyamoto is an absolute genius – he found a way to make a puppy simulator spike Nintendo’s rise to power in the console race, capturing the hearts and minds of Japanese schoolgirls and lonely children around the world. While I respect what the man accomplished from a business perspective (it’s sold roughly twenty million units to date), I detest the idea that a primped version of Tomagotchi has somehow managed to captivate more gamers than every other title in existence, save for Super Mario Bros. for the NES. Face it, Nintendo, this is not what owning a new canine is like. They are not the cute and cuddly icons you make them out to be in your virtual goldmine, they are fiends from the depths of hell – they piss, shit, throw up, shed, bite, tear up furniture, and cause allergies. The only hands this title should be in is Paris Hilton’s, hand the Chihuahua over to PETA.

Source: http://reelgamers.com/games/over.html

Weapon 117
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

http://reelgamers.com/images/over10.jpg

Like so many others this past holiday, I received Super Mario Galaxy as a Christmas gift and couldn’t wait to fire up the Wii and delve into Mario’s world of mushrooms and koopas troopas. It contained all the charm you’d expect from a Mario title to be sure, but one critical aspect was absent: the fun. From the teeth gnashing “SUPER MARIOO GALAXYY” opening to the globular worlds to the now ancient story, the Mario series has grown tired in its old age. I do not care for Bee Mario, Boo Mario, or Mermaid Mario, nor do I believe that collecting one hundred-twenty stars is in any way rewarding to gamers. Forty-three stars in, I couldn’t help but wonder why I was still playing since I already knew the ending: Mario defeats Bowser, Bowser somehow manages to survive for another sequel, and the Princess continues to give Mario blue balls. It’s not something I’m proud of, but it’s a sad day when the highest rated game of all time has earned its spot without any coherent narrative whatsoever.

Source: http://reelgamers.com/games/over.html (http://reelgamers.com/games/over.html)

Sanction
06-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank God GTA4 isn't on there.

But I thought Halo 3 would be on the list. =/

Bishop24
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree with all of them but The Sims games. Them are some great games and they deserved all the hype they got.

Da CRU Mughhh
06-05-2008, 08:20 PM
haha i can see why the sims are on the list! lol i just don't understand that game! its not even fun! so over rated!

Keano
06-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I have only played two of those games. The Sims and Super Mario Galaxy. I 100% agree with both of them.

The Sims was good at first but after you've got yourself the best job and house there is nothing more to do. Also, it can be extremely annoying if you are trying to control a family of 3 or more. As soon as they get unhappy it's impossible to get them happy again because they don't want to do anything.

Super Mario Galaxy just wasn't for me. It just gave me a headache trying to run around most of the time being upside down. I just didn't find any of it fun.

I would have added the Halo series and GTA IV.

xxEquilibriumxx
06-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I can see how some of these games are overhyped. Some of them I cannot. Fable was a much needed change for xbox at the time. Sure right now it would be just like playing overlord, but then there was not much in the genre. I have never played nintendogs, but it's the better graphic tomikichi's or whatever was around in elementary school

CmdrB
06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I actually spend a lot of time playing CRAZY TAXI during the Dreamcast days so I would take that off the list.

Every single toddler and preteen I know with a DS wanted or owned Nintendogs so I would take that one off the list as well. It may not be a game suitable for most mature audiences but it did a huge impact on the youngsters.

While I have many games that I would add. I will choose to add BIOSHOCK to the list. I read the hype, it also became game of the year. I'm sorry but I personally didn't think it was that great. I bought the game and is one of those that I actually regret purchasing. It is now collecting dust somewhere in my place.

Fonkey Monkey
06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
the fact that gears of war isnt number 1 made me die a little inside.

Ashz0r
06-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Black and White, Crazy Taxi and Fable are awesome ^^ this list is stupid..

The fact that Assasins Creed isn't on there is insane.

DrDrix
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Halo 3 was meant to be on that list... but unfortunatly, it isn't.

SamW89
06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
This reminds me why I don't visit ReelGamers, it's even in their title, they try to reel us in by being controversial and form an elitist group of opinionated dicks calling themselves 'real' gamers.

Half those games shouldn't be on that list.

JesusBread
06-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Black and White, Crazy Taxi and Fable are awesome ^^ this list is stupid..

The fact that Assasins Creed isn't on there is insane.

AC on the list? AC has one of the best story lines out of all the 360 games that are out right now. I would even compare the story line to an RPGs story line or something.

The only one I really don't agree with on that list is Fable. I found it to be a lot of fun.

iceefudgesickle
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
This list is STUPID. Couldn't tell you about a few since I haven't played them, but WTF? I mean, I like my 360 more than the Wii, but that's some SERIOUS Microsoft fanboyism to think Mario Galaxy is more overrated than Halo 3. They also apparently hate dogs since they think they are fiends from the depths of hell.

Aeope
06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
The thing about these kinds of lists is; there never will be a time when everyone agrees. I think a couple of those games personally were very fun, but not everyone thinks the same way. The lists will always be biased by the creator(s).

Some of the games I personally believe to be overrated are:

Halo 3
Bioshock
(people are gonna get angry) Rainbow Six Vegas 2
But some of those games I agree with.

Parkerktm
06-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I want Crazy Taxi to come out for 360 ;)

DeltaZ360
06-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Black and White?! Man that game was amazing! Halo 3, now there's a game that deserves to be on the list - yuck.

J eVeRy DaY 514
06-06-2008, 12:28 AM
in my opinion, this is a great list... but i don't know why dead or alive is on it. behind mortal kombat & street fighter, this is my favorite fighting series. i definitely didn't buy it for the boobs.
and why did they even mention doa volleyball and x2... those games were rated horribly, as they deserved to be.
fable, sims, getaway, nintendogs, crazy taxi, & harvest moon are all extremely overrated games so thats why i think the list is good.

Segnius
06-06-2008, 04:22 AM
A few of the titles on there are overrated, but overall the list is shitty. Some of those games are great, and they could have made much better choices for overrated games.

MrPaypaChasa
06-06-2008, 04:30 AM
I personally loved Harvest Moon, but then again that is my type of game sort of I like those RPG were you have to take up a job and start a family. I also feel that GoW should be on that list along with Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Party 4-8 should also be on that list. Although I do agree with some of thim overall crap list.

Stinkyf1re
06-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Umm... Crazy Taxi fucking OWNS

And my girlfriend got 120 stars on supermario galaxy with Mario AND Luigi. Its fun as hell, and the one game that my girl is actually better than me at. Definitely not overrated.