PDA

View Full Version : Win With Friends?

steelefan15
06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm just curious, can you win this game by being friendly to everyone?
thanks

Shinobi273
06-09-2008, 09:41 PM
In the old games, the diplomatic victory was the hardest. When the AI senses you are not taking a strong stance or don't have the military might to back anything up, they pounce on you and insult you. If you got a diplomatic victory, you could have just as easily won a conquest victory.

The last Sid Meier game I played was Alpha Centauri so the AI is no doubt better in the diplomacy department but there were still interesting things you could do by forging allies to take over the planet with. Personally, I don't think I will be getting this just because it departs from turn-based strategy to real-time. It is really difficult sometimes to deal with the CPU coordination advantage of controlling everything at once.

tastefulmrship
06-10-2008, 07:00 AM
The last Sid Meier game I played was Alpha Centauri so the AI is no doubt better in the diplomacy department but there were still interesting things you could do by forging allies to take over the planet with. Personally, I don't think I will be getting this just because it departs from turn-based strategy to real-time. It is really difficult sometimes to deal with the CPU coordination advantage of controlling everything at once.

You've forgotten the Golden Rule of RTS; the computer ALWAYS starts with specific buildings, units and techs even before you've founded your first city! This gives the CPU a certain initial rush-advantage to compensate for a lack of real intelligence and strategy.
From what I've played so far (countless times, now) the EGYPTIANs are a great example of this. Start a new game as ROMAN and make your way down and right to find the yellow city; when you've made peace notice how advanced THEBES is! It even has WALLS!

If the demo exists in the retail version, I guess you need to destroy ZULU, then AZTECs before attempting EGYPTIAN.

Also, remember, if you attack a city and the defenders are double your attack (I had a 27-6 battle the other day) the SPY will reduce this dramatically if you send one in before each battle! Tell him to disrupt the defences. Without this, I'd never have defeated EGYPTIANs. But it took PIKEMEN, CATAPULTs and a whole army of ARCHERs!

Tricause
06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
You've forgotten the Golden Rule of RTS; the computer ALWAYS starts with specific buildings, units and techs even before you've founded your first city! I've always hated this. Develop the AI more and remove the handicaps.

Mustkill9
06-12-2008, 06:17 AM
I've always hated this. Develop the AI more and remove the handicaps.

All I know is that I got into a fight with the Chinese and they were losing an average of 1 army- that's right, one ARMY per about 3 turns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible to keep producing armies at that rate? They've lost about 18 armies to me now, and they still have a constant flow of armies coming at me.

The irony is that I just took over one of their cities (through using a great person), and it had 1 army guarding it, and no buildings! So far the artificial intelligence is pretty questionable.

I'm playing on king level.

tastefulmrship
06-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Eh? Is it released already in US? :confused:

Mustkill9
06-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Eh? Is it released already in US? :confused:

No I'm playing a PAL version that a friend is letting me use.

tastefulmrship
06-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Eh? Is it released already in UK? :confused:

I guess that's a YES! I'M PLAYING CIV:REV!
Hell, yeah!

steelefan15
06-12-2008, 11:22 PM
I hate That! Why do we not get it for over a month after UK? I guess we're like they were with Rock Band

eXtreme 1138
06-13-2008, 02:53 PM
yeah, except rock band was six months late and not one.

Captain Maddox
06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
You've forgotten the Golden Rule of RTS; the computer ALWAYS starts with specific buildings, units and techs even before you've founded your first city! This gives the CPU a certain initial rush-advantage to compensate for a lack of real intelligence and strategy.
From what I've played so far (countless times, now) the EGYPTIANs are a great example of this. Start a new game as ROMAN and make your way down and right to find the yellow city; when you've made peace notice how advanced THEBES is! It even has WALLS!

If the demo exists in the retail version, I guess you need to destroy ZULU, then AZTECs before attempting EGYPTIAN.

Also, remember, if you attack a city and the defenders are double your attack (I had a 27-6 battle the other day) the SPY will reduce this dramatically if you send one in before each battle! Tell him to disrupt the defences. Without this, I'd never have defeated EGYPTIANs. But it took PIKEMEN, CATAPULTs and a whole army of ARCHERs!

I have noticed based on three games (retail X36*) on king dif that during the time I have a ICBM no civ threatens me or even asked for tech or a great person. Is this a coincedence? Or does the a.i. sence a threat?
Also is Alpha Centauri worth buying?

tastefulmrship
06-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I have noticed based on three games (retail X36*) on king dif that during the time I have a ICBM no civ threatens me or even asked for tech or a great person. Is this a coincedence? Or does the a.i. sence a threat?
Also is Alpha Centauri worth buying?

I've always had one civ going on at me for having Nukes and how dangerous I must be to the world... so I nuked 'em! Then sent tank squads in once the fallout timer runs out! Shuts 'em up nicely!

The AI knows which cities you've left undefended (or less defended than their attackers) and will aim for them instead of the nearest city to them. Again, UNFAIR!

Captain Maddox
06-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Never saw a fallout timer. Over @ www.civfanatics.com (http://www.civfanatics.com/civrev/info#empire) they got interesting tips and pointers plus alot of overall info on playing a game of Civ. For instance the Mega Cities Strategy.

tastefulmrship
06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Never saw a fallout timer.

The city is destroyed (I guess you can't use it if it's yours!) for a certain number of turns. It comes back once the turns have been played... I just called it a Fallout Timer. It's not an official name, just something from the annals of my stupidity!

the_b1ues
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
so can you win aggaisnt a friend and still win??

tastefulmrship
06-19-2008, 06:30 AM
so can you win aggaisnt a friend and still win??

I think the original question was; can you win by being friendly to other civilisations? The answer; no!

If you mean; can I play MP and still get Achievements? It looks like you can't. I haven't tried it myself, but someone has confirmed it on another thread.

Are You Dead Yet
06-19-2008, 09:29 AM
On the easy difficulties at least, you sort of can win by being diplomatic.
If you get enough Tech/Money/Culture, and keep forging alliances, you might be able to grab a victory before not long after they realise your about to win - I've had people turn against me 3 or 4 turns before I unlock the World Bank/United Nations