PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 5 - World At War - The Dark Road To Iwo Jima

dm master
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
**updated (new in bold)**

My latest issue of OXM has arrived with a familer francise "Offical Exclusive" (the title of the thred is the front page) And i thought i would be a good person and pass on my knowlage.

Puplisher: Activision

Developer: Treyarch

Players: 1-2
Online: 2-4 (co-op)
2-16(multiplayer)

Back In World War 2 but you are fighting against the Imperial Japanese

Online: Party system: "Treyarch intends to expnd this so there is gameplay difference e.g the party leader can give out orders"
: Perks will reapear but none have been specificly mentioned

Multiplayer is left intact - Treyarch will be adding to Call of Duty 4's popular multiplayer rather than taking away, with the main addition being new vehicles. Perks will still be there along with a new 'leader' system, that gives you extra perks when sticking close to the team's leader.

Destructable Environments i.e flamethrower can be used to flush out people in foliated areas.

Swiming for the first time (no idea how this will change anything but hey)

New set of weapons (Japanese)

"more in common to the survival horror genre than traditional war movie inflences"

"darker themes and pitting you against a new, seemingly alien fighting force"

May be uploading some pictures soon when i can get them on my PC and i may update it when i re read the artical properly

vhayste
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
WWII again? This better be good...

Yann
06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
They're doing the pacific this time, which COD hasnt touched, since the last few games have taken place around European conflicts like The Winter War and the Battle for France etc.

It could be good, I certainly wouldnt mind an epic battle at Iwo Jima. Especially since watching Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

Ashz0r
06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Im not getting it.. going to wait for Call of Duty 6 unless they have followed on from Infinity Ward's footsteps in Call of Duty 4.

Three different companies develop the Call of Duty Games..

Call of Duty 1: Activision / Infinity Ward
Call of Duty 2: Activision / Infinity Ward
Call of Duty 2 Big Red One (Console Version of 2): Treyarch
Call of Duty 3: Treyarch
Call of Duty 4: Activision / Infinity Ward
Call of Duty Roads to Victory (for Nokia N-Gage): Amaze

and
Call of Duty 5: Activsion / Treyarch

Treyarch are sticking to the WWII theme for their Call of Duty games this time in 5 being the Pacific War.
Activision and Infinity Ward are braking away from the WWII theme and it is confirmed Call of Duty 6 will not be a WWII game and may have quite a twist to the normal setting.

Personally I have never liked the Treyarch releases, although Call of Duty 3 was alright for Nintendo Wii because it was fun using the Wiimote to play it.

Marx0r
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
About time they did something in the Pacific. It looks like they're trying to revamp the COD series completely, this could be make or break. Hopefully Treyarch won't screw this up.

Royle
06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm I hope this doesn't suck as much as CoD3, that would be dry if it was.

knockton55
06-12-2008, 02:48 PM
As long as the campaign's and multiplayer are engaging as the 4th then I dont mind where it's set :p

I read on Gamespot I think that they had started to involve Gore and stuff, can anyone confirm? Like I read you had to watch the execution of an allied soilder with a katana :eek:

Edit : Wait, WTF....did I just read 'alien' and 'survival horror'. There definately has been alot of changes. I really hope this is good

blackflame0729
06-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Survival horror eh? Sounds good. Cant wait

nytwstdpunk1211
06-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Won't be as good as The History Channel Battle for the Pacific. That game owns hard..

dm master
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
As long as the campaign's and multiplayer are engaging as the 4th then I dont mind where it's set :p

I read on Gamespot I think that they had started to involve Gore and stuff, can anyone confirm? Like I read you had to watch the execution of an allied soilder with a katana :eek:

Edit : Wait, WTF....did I just read 'alien' and 'survival horror'. There definately has been alot of changes. I really hope this is good

Confirmed, enemies attack you with them when you are close and the first scene is a guy getting tortured and exectuted by the Japanese

dudecrazy108
06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
I plan on getting this. I didn't think that COD3 was that bad.

RFT 123
06-12-2008, 07:36 PM
I dunno, I don't think this will be a good game.

Tenacious
06-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Back in WWII :\

If this isn't anything special, I won't be getting it

knockton55
06-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Won't be as good as The History Channel Battle for the Pacific. That game owns hard..

It really dosent....:p

Thanks for confirming, Gore's gonna be sweet

Raider
06-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Eugh, Treyarch. Hopefully they learned from messing up cod3 and will try to make a good game this time.

Honkymagoo
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM
I'll probably end up playing this game but I HIGHLY doubt it will end up being as great as COD4.

Parkerktm
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Sounds great and i can't wait till the release date, but i want my COD5 to be modern warfare!!! :(

Yann
06-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Well if Infinity Ward give their engine over it could possibly be very good. If not it'll be a linear sequence of events from point A to point B without much plot other than "Kill the Japanese" or something stupid like that. COD4 had a good shift between 2 different view points and made you question what war was among other things which is why people really liked it.

nytwstdpunk1211
06-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Well if Infinity Ward give their engine over it could possibly be very good. If not it'll be a linear sequence of events from point A to point B without much plot other than "Kill the Japanese" or something stupid like that. COD4 had a good shift between 2 different view points and made you question what war was among other things which is why people really liked it.

Not only that but you weren't always just running around killing the enemy. The plane mission and the stealth mission were major additions to the game..

Yann
06-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Not only that but you weren't always just running around killing the enemy. The plane mission and the stealth mission were major additions to the game..

True, although my stealth was limited to just shooting people and running as fast as I can on Veteran mode lol. They also gave your squad mates really good depth and gave them all a reason to be there. I fucking loved Captain Price for example, especially after they made me play as him for the back story mission.

The ending was pretty poor though, they didnt give any closure whatso ever, especially as to what happened to your squadmates. You spend the entire game playing with them and then you dont even know what happens to them in the end.

I hope they manage to keep that edge, thats really what made COD4 a brilliant game.

newbsicle
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
They're doing the pacific this time, which COD hasnt touched, since the last few games have taken place around European conflicts like The Winter War and the Battle for France etc.

It could be good, I certainly wouldnt mind an epic battle at Iwo Jima. Especially since watching Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

No, but activision did just make battle for the pacific. lol

Yann
06-13-2008, 12:59 AM
No, but activision did just make battle for the pacific. lol

Yeah so what? lol. It has no bearing on a seperate game series :p.

The amount of shooters about Modern Warfare didnt detract from COD4 so why should this game detract from COD5 lol.

madgamer544
06-13-2008, 03:18 AM
cant wait to pick up cod5, hopefully not many mp achievements though as i have never been one for the multiplayer in any of them, but i've loved all the campaigns and finally having a coop campaign would be nice

knockton55
06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
True, although my stealth was limited to just shooting people and running as fast as I can on Veteran mode lol. They also gave your squad mates really good depth and gave them all a reason to be there. I fucking loved Captain Price for example, especially after they made me play as him for the back story mission.

The ending was pretty poor though, they didnt give any closure whatso ever, especially as to what happened to your squadmates. You spend the entire game playing with them and then you dont even know what happens to them in the end.

I hope they manage to keep that edge, thats really what made COD4 a brilliant game.

To be honest I hope Price died, he's such a fool. I kinda liked Gaz though :p

FoxRacing1234
06-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm tired of the WWII games. It's getting real old. We have enough of them. I might play it and I hope the game play is like COD4, not 3.

MopFlop
06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
to everyone who moans about ww2 games have u not notcied the huge surplus of modern/furturistic fps being released atm. Ao2, battle field, quake wars etc
be good to have what looks like a decent game on ww2 again

Vapourise
06-13-2008, 06:32 PM
wicked that it has 4 player co-op campain thats what i been hoping for. and didnt cod3 made by same people. woooo , cod3 owned when i came out.

dm master
06-13-2008, 07:52 PM

It is using the Call of Duty 4 engine and there is a newer phsyics engine

COD3 had a 1 year making time at the time that they were using one team for all port

COD5 has 2 year development and have a seperate team for each port (xbox 360 is the lead wooo :) lol )

Ashz0r
06-13-2008, 08:12 PM
It is using the Call of Duty 4 engine and there is a newer phsyics engine

COD3 had a 1 year making time at the time that they were using one team for all port

COD5 has 2 year development and have a seperate team for each port (xbox 360 is the lead wooo :) lol )

Thats not really the biggest issue its the fact that its Treyarch and not Infinity Ward developing it.
Infinity Ward could give Treyarch everything they could possibably want, not meaning their going to make a good game from it.

Treyarch are responsible for alot of of poor movie to game, games and their only experiance with FPS is the 3 Call of Duty's they have done (one being an expansion and one being a console port of an Infinity Ward developed Call of Duty that they some how managed to make extremely buggy and worse then the original)

I hope that its a success because then I will buy it and enjoy it.. but im not optimistic when its being developed by a company thats best games are Spiderman 2 and Tony Hawks 1 and 2 for dreamcast that was a poor port of the N64 version not developed by them.

TheColdWolf
06-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I am only going to rent this one hopefully the guys that made cod4 can make an even better game than Treytech.

phantasyking
06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Hopefully this is good or im gonna wait on COD6 by infinity ward...

crazydude06
06-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Looks like some of you guys aren't big Treyarch fans, lol

I am interested in this game though. The Pacific front isn't something you see very often in WWII games, so I don't mind the jump back. I also like that they decided to add co-op, as that is always a big plus for me in games nowadays.

Personally, I was always confused by how much people seemed to not care for COD3. I thought it was a very good game. That is just my opinion though.

antnie
06-14-2008, 07:08 AM
WWII again? This better be good... It will be better than COD 4. I can not wait for COD 5. Did it say a estimated release date.

MyAbsolution
06-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Seeing as how I have little to no faith in Treyarch, they delivered CoD3 to me and I hated every minute of it, I can't say I'm super stoked for another WW2 game.

The 2-4 player co-op is quite a nice touch though. I will be considering this as a "maybe" on the future buy list, if I find it cheap and used...

MopFlop
06-14-2008, 09:38 AM
just had a thought. anyone think there will be a pearl harbour type mission???

knockton55
06-14-2008, 05:30 PM
It will be better than COD 4. I can not wait for COD 5. Did it say a estimated release date.

How can you know that :/

Keano
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
It will be better than COD 4. I can not wait for COD 5. Did it say a estimated release date.

I highly doubt that. I reckon Call of Duty 5 will be another flop just like Call of Duty 3. They should just stick with infinity ward.

Napior
06-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I know they already picked the theme, but I would Love to have a game where your a Polish "Soldier" (It was an underground army of citizens) in the Warsaw Uprising during WWII. It was a really a really epic battle, but unfortunately, most people don't know anything about it.

Emfulz
06-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank goodness! Call of Duty 4 (my opinion) was lame and should never put perks in a Call of Duty game ever again, WWII is what made me get into Call of Duty but once CoD4 came out it had no potential to lead up to Call of Duty 2 or 3 at all.
Co-op FTW! /end opinon

JesusBread
06-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I loved CoD3 so I'm giving CoD5 a try. I might even buy it.

Please everyone, stop praising CoD4 like it's the best game in the world. Too much aim assist in that game. I've played with so many people who suck at first person shooters, but can still kill me in CoD4 because of all the auto aim helping them out.

Io Haze oI
06-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I will be getting this game just to play it and my Dad wil want it as well I assume.

Not sure that swimming should actually be implemented even though it is new a aspect. Also if they add in the Japanese officers swords as a weapon, this game will just be gay.

Other than that I'd like to see how the graphics are and the online co-op which I hope will work really well.

ghodges
06-15-2008, 06:48 AM
hopefully treyarch doesnt mess this one up 2

Strongbad107
06-15-2008, 07:00 AM
I hope Treyarch has learned its lesson from cod 3. And if it gets good ratings ill most likely get it. I have all the other ones 1-4 so im also thinking that i might just get it to go with the series.

The only thing i really want is a good spy game. I don't care if it's Call of Duty or an actually decent Splinter Cell, or something else. I just love spy games (good ones, of course:p)

MuffinSoldaat
06-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Don't make me laugh. It's a cheap rip-off of the UT3 system, just like Soldier of Fortune 3. The AI sucks ass, and there are only like 3 enemy skins.

MuffinSoldaat
06-15-2008, 08:32 AM
CO-OP, people?!

dm master
06-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Afraid not there wasnt anything about a release date

Santa
06-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Did i see a typo? Or is everyone not looking?

"more in common to the survival horror genre than traditional war movie inflences"

"darker themes and pitting you against a new, seemingly alien fighting force"

Erm Survival horror? Aliens? You have got to be messing with me.

[[Danny]]
06-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I think vehicles are going to suck online.

Bax x360a
06-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Aliens in a World War 2 scenario? Sounds so crap.

dm master
06-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Aliens in a World War 2 scenario? Sounds so crap.

Not "aliens" an alien ie unknown asin this is a different enemy to any in COD before

Ashz0r
06-15-2008, 03:43 PM
lol @ people thinking that there will be aliens...

An Alien is an unknown enitity.. at the time the asian's fighting force was alien... as in it was an unknown enitity.

Not an alien from mars with 18 eyes and lazer gunships.. although that may make CoD a bit more fast paced ^^

laundryman
06-15-2008, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing: Call of Duty: Vietnam

Svpernaut
06-15-2008, 05:38 PM
this better be good they got so many WWII games

Ritchie Goodall
06-15-2008, 08:36 PM
if it based around the japanese then it has to be horror (no offence to our friends in the far east) as they were known for their torturing

jarhead1990
06-15-2008, 09:43 PM
The game has two titles?

dm master
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
The game has two titles?

No sorry the Title is Call of Duty - World At War

(iwo jima was just on the front cover so i thought i would inculd it

Yann
06-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Wouldnt be very fun. You'd just be wandering around the countryside shooting civilians you think are Vietcong, getting shot at out of nowhere from trees. You'd need to pretty much destory the forest in an air mission with agent Orange.

As the ending I assume you'd come home then there would be people with signs shouting at you or something.

MopFlop
06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
];932100']I think vehicles are going to suck online.
vehicles worked quite well on cod3, imo
they were easy to take down with team work, and added more realism to the battlefields

exo-apollo
06-16-2008, 12:39 PM
It's about time we saw some Pacific action.

JC
06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I got UK OXM as well, with the 'official exclusive'. :)

This game looks really good and dark, hopefull it will be as good as COD 4.

Colossus033
06-16-2008, 02:34 PM
i agree or Call of Duty: Korea...... lets switch it up people..... but atleast CoD5 will be the Pacific..... i hope its not like Battle for the Pacific where there was like 5 dudes storming Iwo Jima....... terrible or horrible like MoH: Rising Sun.... but im looking forward to it either way!!!!! cant wait!! :woop::woop:

Yann
06-16-2008, 03:27 PM
i agree or Call of Duty: Korea...... lets switch it up people..... but atleast CoD5 will be the Pacific..... i hope its not like Battle for the Pacific where there was like 5 dudes storming Iwo Jima....... terrible or horrible like MoH: Rising Sun.... but im looking forward to it either way!!!!! cant wait!! :woop::woop:

Korea wouldnt be very exciting either. You'd advance into North Korea then you'd need to run out because you're being chased by the Chinese. 20 levels later you'd just be fighting on the border and then you'd go home without the conflict being resolved lol.

Watson bros
06-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I personally don't care if its set in World War II, its a new theater, so it sounds interesting, i'm looking forward to the new stuff.

newbsicle
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah so what? lol. It has no bearing on a seperate game series :p.

The amount of shooters about Modern Warfare didnt detract from COD4 so why should this game detract from COD5 lol.

I never said it would not be a great game... I was just implying it's a very tiered game plot, and yes, even activision has been there already. I hope it's like cod2, but chances are I won't buy just because it's another ww2 game.

reddragon6288
06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I like the fact that WWII is going to be taken to the lesser side of the battle that no one really thinks about, but at the same time CoD4 made good use of story telling and gave us a war that was taken straight out of someone's head. We don't always need to jump back in time and find a known conflict and make a FPS out of it. Granted CoD4 did take weapons we know, which did help in the overall realism of the story. However, I wouldn't mind pushing it further into the future (not Halo like) that's a little more believable. No laser and stuff of the sort, but just things that would be maybe in the prototype stage in today's world. Or hell, if they want to keep digging into the past, we're not the only one's that have had wars. Would be kinda cool to jump into a war we had no part of and fight both sides of the war with convincing stories there too. But that's just my two cents.:)

MantleNotMouse
06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Multiplayer is left intact - Treyarch will be adding to Call of Duty 4's popular multiplayer rather than taking away, with the main addition being new vehicles. Perks will still be there along with a new 'leader' system, that gives you extra perks when sticking close to the team's leader.

Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to enjoy a Call of Duty game with vehicles online. They really take away from the infantry combat experience. Sure, they add a new element to the gameplay, but I love fighting on the ground in the Call of Duty series and vehicles have always ruined it for me. It may be because they are required to have bigger maps and the bigger maps aren't nearly as fun as the city maps.

chris113113
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Or hell, if they want to keep digging into the past, we're not the only one's that have had wars. Would be kinda cool to jump into a war we had no part of and fight both sides of the war with convincing stories there too. But that's just my two cents.:)

Call of Duty: Israel and Lebanon... I don't think so. Lol

Maybe... American Revolution? Crusades? 10,000 BC (tm)?

Bondfan626
06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
B.C or Crusades wouldn't work. Most of that is some bows & arrows, some catapults, horse back fighting, and swords. There is no gunplay.

Ryot Control
06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Ugh, COD3 was the only boring one. This has me slightly worried.

But Iwo Jima means US Marines. Can't hate that.

dm master
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
yeah you can you know you want to

What The Buck?
06-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Ugh, COD3 was the only boring one. This has me slightly worried.

But Iwo Jima means US Marines. Can't hate that.

You really can.:p j/k

Anyway, i've seen a few screenshots and the game looks great!

BackerMan
06-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Back in WW2? I'm not interest. I'll wait for Call of Duty 6. They should've do vietnam war, korea war or drug war in south america.

dm master
06-18-2008, 09:04 PM
yeah i got the mag screen shots but no cam to do it at the moment so when i can ill upload themmm