PDA

View Full Version : Just need ONE more Great Person!

tastefulmrship
06-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Bloody Imhotep; I've played 20+ games so far and I've still to find this Great Person. Has anyone got any ideas how to get him to appear or is it 100% random... and I'm Mr. Unlucky!

Roaming Dragon
06-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Bloody Imhotep; I've played 20+ games so far and I've still to find this Great Person. Has anyone got any ideas how to get him to appear or is it 100% random... and I'm Mr. Unlucky!

Isn't there a bit in the Civlpedia where you can have a look at technology and follow it to the end and it tells you what great person it brings.

I can't remember what its on but i do know when you click it your press either LT or LB to get to the end then press Y and you should find what makes a Great Person appear

Hope this helps mate

-Roaming Dragon

tastefulmrship
06-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Isn't there a bit in the Civlpedia where you can have a look at technology and follow it to the end and it tells you what great person it brings.

I can't remember what its on but i do know when you click it your press either LT or LB to get to the end then press Y and you should find what makes a Great Person appear

Hope this helps mate

-Roaming Dragon

Imhotep requires CEREMONIAL BURIAL, the tech you get once you've got POTTERY. These are Level 1 and Level 2 techs; very early in the game!

I think they're related to CULTURE; when I play ENGLISH (my last civ) after Doctor Who, I'm going to try and boost my CULTURE and force Great People to join my cities! (Picking MONARCHY will boost CULTURE in London!)

Then, I'll have the 625 I've been playing for... after that, I'll just play for the fun of it! (I nearl won at KING difficulty and haven't even considered playing as DEITY!)

[EDIT] It looks like ENGLISH unlocks Imhotep; I've played 5 games with ENGLISH and he's appeared every time! Maybe someone should make a Great Person guide??

Shiney T
06-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Makes sense that different Civilizations have different great people.

I currently need about 5.

The second leader is the worst one to get it seems, only got David on that painting, dunno what the name for him is.

eXtreme 1138
06-15-2008, 07:34 PM
From memory, Imhotep was egyptian (?). So playing as Egypt would help this along as well i think.

shenshon
06-15-2008, 11:48 PM
I got Imhotep for the first time playing as the Aztecs.

tastefulmrship
06-16-2008, 06:50 AM
From memory, Imhotep was egyptian (?). So playing as Egypt would help this along as well i think.

You'd have thought, but I played 3 or 4 EGYPTIAN games and he never appeared! He only seems to appear for the ENGLISH... (oh, and AZTECs, by the look of things!)

Make sure you research/build their requirements as soon as possible to force them out and make sure you boost CULTURE (which is why I picked ENGLISH!) as quick as possible; so build TEMPLEs & CATHEDRALS in all cities.

Gevexx
06-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Arg i have the same problem now -.-. Played 3 Blitzkrieg games with English but still nothing, at the end of the game i justed pressed "B" but even with 2500 Culture per Round it was not possible to lure him out.

Maybe i will try to start a game with Amerika (because they get a Great Pers. at the beginning) and reload every time until Imhotep appers -.-

tastefulmrship
06-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Start a new game, research POTTERY and CEREMONIAL BURIAL. He'll appear once you're about half-way through CEREMONIAL BURIAL. Or at least he does for me! Every time! Now!

Gevexx
06-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Got him after the 7 try, thx ^^.

2nd in the world who got 1000 :woop:, 1st in Germany.

tastefulmrship
06-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Got him after the 7 try, thx ^^.

2nd in the world who got 1000 :woop:, 1st in Germany.

Well done, dude! Isn't Imhotep a nightmare to get?

Gevexx
06-16-2008, 07:09 PM
yeah it seems that he is the hardest from them to get. I had around 38 Perso. in one game (the game that i got the Deity Achievements) and none of them was this little punk.

steelefan15
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
wait, Imhotep, like from The Mummy movies?

tastefulmrship
06-18-2008, 07:03 AM
wait, Imhotep, like from The Mummy movies?

Dang ignorant philostine!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imhotep

ThunderStorm101
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Who is the 2nd great Leader?

I have david but the other one never turns up :(

tastefulmrship
06-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Who is the 2nd great Leader?

I have david but the other one never turns up :(

Use the CIVILOPEDIA. It'll tell you who it is and which tech you need to get him to appear!

Shiney T
06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Anyone know if theres a specific Civ I have to be for -

Sargon
Agamemnon (Figured the Greeks .. But played loads as them and haven't found him yet)
Cheops

I have found the techs I need via Civilopedia, but I have played a lot of games and can't for the life of me get these guys to unlock.

Gevexx
06-18-2008, 09:12 PM

Sargon
Agamemnon (Figured the Greeks .. But played loads as them and haven't found him yet)
Cheops

I have found the techs I need via Civilopedia, but I have played a lot of games and can't for the life of me get these guys to unlock.

I got this people at the end of one game (Year 2050-2090) i had about 2500 Culture per Round and i always pressed B to progress to the next round leaving everything else alone, got them while playing Mongol.

shenshon
06-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Sargon
Cheops

I need these people as well plus Lao Tzu never seems to show up either. I don't believe I've ever played a game past 2050 though so maybe that would help.

Merc HD
06-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I've played several games up until 2100 but I'm missing one great person- Sargon. Anybody any idea how to unlock this guy? It says bronze working is needed, so I always research that first and pour everything into culture but to no avail:eek:

Killer_of_Hopes
06-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Anybody any idea how to unlock this guy? It says bronze working is needed, so I always research that first and pour everything into culture but to no avail:eek:

I would start building up Culture first, and then research Bronze Working.

I don't have the game, but that seems to me the most logical way of doing it, since at the beginning of the game your producing little culture, so if you develop more culture when you research the tech needed it should unlock the guy for you.

Merc HD
06-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I tried that mate. Can anyone help? I'm guessing most people have Sargon- can anyone remember who you were or what you did when you got him?

danjef
06-23-2008, 05:44 PM
tastefulmrship i tryed your suggestion but with no luck, do you research them to techs right away and manage workers in the city to science or just wait for the research tech to come up? do you build anything in the meantime or do you build any cities or any more help just stuck on that one builder

UPDATE: nevermind got him after a few more tries of doing the same thing but build stonehenge this time thanks for the advice

Muzza D
06-27-2008, 08:40 AM
need a little help....only need plato and homer to get my last achievement for this game,I know there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to getting these great people but if anyone could remember when they got those two it would be much appreciated.

Chud 360
06-27-2008, 10:30 AM
need a little help....only need plato and homer to get my last achievement for this game,I know there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to getting these great people but if anyone could remember when they got those two it would be much appreciated.

Homer is the last one i need. The civilapedia says you need to learn alphabet but he just will not pop up for me!

eXtreme 1138
07-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Oddly enough, Cheops was the only person left for me to get, I needed masonry so thats all i researched along with pottery, i played a ton of games to no avail. that little cheops bastard wouldn't pop up no matter what. This was as The Greeks, Egyptians and French. I eventually decided to play as the English as they have good culture boosts as well and Cheops was the first person to pop up. :D

This is odd because almost the exact same thing happened for tastefulmrship and Gevexx, the last remaing Great person popped up first while playing as the English, it wasn't the same person but it was a great builder of the ancient era, both Cheops and Imhotep are egyptian. This could just be a massive coincidence or playing as the English increases your chances unlocking new great people which could be useful if you only have a few left. That's just my random little theory anyway.

Waylander73
07-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I still need Cheops, Agamemnon and Imhotep. I was thinking that if they don't appear for me at the start of the game I may build some Spies asap and try to see if they are in other Civ's Cities and nick the buggers. Will post my results later.

spartancell
07-13-2008, 11:04 PM
I needed 3 more people (Confucius, Solomon, Florence Nightingale). I tried the greek people trick twice and keep getting the same people, then I played a full game as the English,(culture focus) and unlocked solomon. Then I played the game of the week (Russians) and found Confucius (I unlocked him in my next game as the Aztecs as well) now all I need is Florence Nightingale. I think I am just going to start out as the English and advance a few more times before I try the GP trick, or I might try the GP trick w/ the English (or Romans for their more people perk). I'll post later tonight if I find anything.
But if anyone remembers how they got Florence (which civ) let me know! (I've played as everyone but the Germans a few times)

Adoukusa
07-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Ok, this is really frustrating - I just need Confucious. According to the Civpedia you need Literacy before he will appear. I start new games as the Chinese (they start off with Writing), set my city to science and research literacy right off the bat. When I get my first GP it gives me everyone but Confucious.. including people like Charles Babbage and Enrico Fermi, who according to the Civpedia I need Network and Nuclear Power before they will appear, which I can assure you I do not have in 1300BC.

Are the tech requirements broken?

Asgorath
07-14-2008, 01:40 AM
But if anyone remembers how they got Florence (which civ) let me know! (I've played as everyone but the Germans a few times)

It doesn't matter what civ I play, I always get her. (I mostly play greeks and romans now for the great person trick... ).

I'm just missing one (Cheops), and been playing so long now I've just decided to give up. He never appears no matter what civ I play. I got bored with playing for this one great person that just doesn't want to show up (not even when I owned the entire world save for 1 capital - had stolen all great persons from it, had about 1000+ culture a turn and almost every single great person appear just before it ended.. aside from......... *sigh*). Since there is no skill involved at all this is about the most daft achievement there is. Based on random luck...

MadMikeD420
07-14-2008, 02:34 AM
If i remember correctly, I got Cheops from playing as the English(along with Homer and Agamemnon) in the same game while maxing my culture with those minimum research. Funny, that method you mentioned right above me is how i got my last person, Plato, while as the Greeks. Do you have to skip the city screen every single turn if you don't want to build anything else, or is there a way to choose the STOP BUILDING AND LEAVE ME ALONE option? regardless it took forever but that's how I got my last one, by trying to get the most # of people in one game, to make the odds a little more in your favor.

spartancell
07-14-2008, 06:18 AM
I ended up getting Florence in my last game. I played as the Germans (last civ I needed) and while researching gunpowder I got a GP, but it wasn't her. Once I got gunpowder I kept switching research, so that the last thing I completed was gunpowder, and the next GP I got was her! Now 1000/1000!!!
Don't know if this helped.

mcjihge2
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I still need to get Agamemnon. I'll try the "English / Cheiften difficulty / reseach iron working last and only last and rush for GPs" trick as advised here.

I think you can only get certain people with certain civs and certain difficulties. Ive done the beta centuri trick with the greeks and the romans about 10 times each and still no agamemnon. Ive had nightengale a few times. And ive even seen david about 5 times (but the scroll at the end says ive only seen him once along with a few others that im sure ive seen a lot more than once.) There are a few like plato that i have only seen once though. I think it must also be which civ you play as.

I once captured Paris and found that agamemnon was there, but once id finish the game no achivement. I even reloaded and deserted about 4 cities so that the chinese could recapture paris and i could spy kidnap him - no achievement. I tried settling him and using his skill - no achievement.

Any other civ/ difficulty suggestions?

eXtreme 1138
07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Great persons seem to be almost entirely random, although in my experience certain civs are more likely to get certain persons than others. I played as the Greeks as in that great people trick video and had almost exact same people every time, and then as the romans, different great people to the greeks, but still the same every time. Then as the english (not scenario, normal game) I got the last one I as looking for (cheops) straight away :).

mcjihge2
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I still need to get Agamemnon. I'll try......
Any other civ/ difficulty suggestions?

EDIT

I Think it may be difficulty related, and perhaps scenario related so im going to try on warlord or king.

Asgorath
07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I can confirm what others mentioned here about Cheops. I was doing the great people trick as in the vid endlessly and just would not get him. Playing as the English in a normal game he was the second great person to appear. I've played the English a few times in the Beta Centauri scenario aswell and didn't get him. And I've played a few other civs in normal games without getting him either. So perhaps it is both bound a bit to which civ you play and if you are playing a scenario or not (or perhaps depending on your tech, that Cheops only shows when still relativly primative). Things I tried like playing the egyptians (since he's Egyptian) and building the great piramids (since he orginally did that) did not seem to influence anything at all.

Finally 1000 ! (all I was missing for over a week now was Cheops)

eXtreme 1138
07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Finally 1000 ! (all I was missing for over a week now was Cheops)

Congratulations!

gauderio
07-14-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm prettys sure I unlocked him on my first playthrough with the Americans. I haven't played as the English or Aztecs yet, so I know you can get him without being either of those civs.

Waylander73
07-14-2008, 05:00 PM
I stole Agamemnon and Imhotep using Spys last night and now just need Cheops. Will try the English trick at some point.

mcjihge2
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Managed to get Agamemnon last night.

Tried the above - english, just reasearch to iron working then wait. It didnt work for 2 trys. In both i did get david twice as the first GP and with in the two 6000 years i remember got cheops, plato and homer, but no agamemnon.

So i decided to try the same thing with america. 4 GPs later and still no agamemnon. my 4th GP was a culture one so i ued him to convert a near by chinese city. I didnt manage to get archers there in time to the chinese took it back, so i decided i might give up on agamemnon and try and retake the city by flipping or using catapults. By this time i was way behing on the tech because i was sitting on iron working, so u rushed for cerimonial burial temples and then for mathematics. by the time i had got mathematics who should turn up but old agamemnon and the achievement was unlocked.

Rolyatkcinmai
07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Anyone have any tips for Nebuchadnezzar? He's been my last one for a long time now. I build straight to Construction, and nothing. I've done the culture trick in the video with every civilization at least twice, and get the same people. I've also played loads of regular games with each civ just getting to construction with tons of culture, nothing.

It's my last achievement and I'd really like to be done with it.

Tieg
07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I personally think the peeps are random to an extent depending on what your playing. I got 75% of my great ones using the video where you play as the greeks in the alpha centari scenario on cheiften level. Get the temple, cathedral, (already have courthouse), and the Magna carta.
Then I started to play other civs to get the wins for them and work on great peeps using the above method. Then I got frustrated because I was missing the same 3 guys, Chris Columbus, Confusious, and Agamemnon. So I started working on some of the achievements for the higher levels...king etc, and was lucky in stealing Chris Columbus from spanish with a spy. Last night I got the last 2 playing the chinese on king level. Just got them as cultural deals.

Personally, if you get down to the last few peeps...stop trying to get them and start working on other achievements at higher levels. You'll get them. By the way the chinese civ I played to get the last 2...I played from the beginning...not using a scenario. Got my arse waxed...but it was worth it lol.

Rolyatkcinmai
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Personally, if you get down to the last few peeps...stop trying to get them and start working on other achievements at higher levels. You'll get them.

Unfortunately, most people, like myself, have had everything else done for a long while now, and just need one or two more people to get the full 1000. I can't get Nebuchadnezzar for the life of me. I know I've played at least 35 full games, and quite a few online as well. Plus I've done the Greek city trick from the video at least 20 times, if not more.

Adoukusa
07-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Unfortunately, most people, like myself, have had everything else done for a long while now, and just need one or two more people to get the full 1000. I can't get Nebuchadnezzar for the life of me. I know I've played at least 35 full games, and quite a few online as well. Plus I've done the Greek city trick from the video at least 20 times, if not more.

I got Nebuchadnezzar doing the Greek trick video, he was my second to last I needed. Still need Confucious

Waylander73
07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
My last one is Cheops and i just stole him from the French and settled him but no achievement and he doesn't appear on the wall of fame thing. I am just hoping when i win this game it will fire or I will be mightily pissed off. Must of been playing for 8+ hours trying to get this last 1 person.

innerpenguin
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I am stuck on Agamemnon.

I used to also need Imhotep, but tastefulmrship (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=34761) was right about using the English and pursuing pottery and cerimonial burial technologies. The use of the English may be advantageous because they produce high culture. If you do not have Imhotep, I can vouch that I specifically targeted getting him using this path, and picked him up right away.

Any further advise for Agamemnon? It seems the most successful strategy is to steal him using spies.

Peace
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Got the fukr!!! I started a normal game on chieftan as the English and researched alphabet. As soon as I had alphabet I switched from science to gold so I wouldn't learn any more tech and got Plato, Aesop and then bingo! Achievement unlocked! D'Oh! That's not Homer Simpson!!! He's some old greek guy with a big grey beard! MAI ROFLCOPTER GOAS SOI SOI SOI!!!

Pixie Ninja
07-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Sargon's the last GP for me, and I daren't imagine how many games I've played without him popping up. I'd managed to get a game whereby I was up past 3000 culture per turn at the end of the game, and I managed to unlock 37 GPs - still no Sargon.

I've since been following the Beta Centauri method and keeping tabs on civilization, difficulty level and which GPs pop, and right now it just doesn't seem random enough - still around 3 or 4 GPs that just haven't showed at all since I've started keeping tabs.

If anyone has any suggestions for getting Sargon to pop, please shout out!

teej
07-16-2008, 10:57 PM
is anyone else missing homer? He is the last great person I need and I cannot seem to find him. I know he has something to do with alphabet and technology. I figured if I would ever see him I would see him in and ancient era. Since homer is greek, I have been playing the greek but no luck so far. Any suggestions?

Peace
07-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Teej, read my post 2 posts above yours...

shaneonoke
07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
the pharoahs never come for me dang you imhotep and cheops

teej
07-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Teej, read my post 2 posts above yours...

haha sorry about that I did not see that one. Yeah I definitely play english this time around. I would of thought homer would be with the greek.

teej
07-17-2008, 04:46 AM
I finally got homer thanks to Peace.

I did what peace said in his post above. I did the regular game with the english on chieftan and did it about 4 times with no luck. I decided to just try it on king and see what my luck is. My first great person was david and the next one was Homer! yay 1000gs!

Waylander73
07-17-2008, 12:09 PM
My last one is Cheops and i just stole him from the French and settled him but no achievement and he doesn't appear on the wall of fame thing. I am just hoping when i win this game it will fire or I will be mightily pissed off. Must of been playing for 8+ hours trying to get this last 1 person.

Ok so i never got Cheops or ach when game finished. So i started a normal game with English and researched the first Tech (Pottery) then saved game. From here i researched 2nd tech i needed according to CIVPedia (Masonry) and carried on going for culture and stopped researching Tech as sson as Masonry was built. Waiting for first person and it was James Watt, so then i restarted from load James Watt again, repeated and got Edison, repeated and got Cheops.

Not going to be helpful to anyone but just thought i would detail what i did. This was on King difficulty as well and all previous attempts (more than 20) were on lower diff setting.

Thank god I am done :woop:

REDBEES
07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Not going to be helpful to anyone but just thought i would detail what i did. This was on King difficulty as well and all previous attempts (more than 20) were on lower diff setting.

I found your input helpful, thanks

graf1k
07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Anybody have any idea on how to get Pythagorus to show up? I've done the Greek thing a bunch of times and I cannot get him to show up. I even played a couple full games and took over every city in the game but I just cannot find the guy. The weird thing is I could have sworn I had got him once before. It's weird, all the guys everyone else has had trouble with showed up easily for me, but this bastard is just stubborn.

REDBEES
07-17-2008, 10:47 PM
have tried

english
king difficulty
normal "new game"
reasearched pottery, masonry, by themselves aswell as with some variations

still no Cheops :( anymore tips?

REDBEES
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Anybody have any idea on how to get Pythagorus to show up? I've done the Greek thing a bunch of times and I cannot get him to show up. I even played a couple full games and took over every city in the game but I just cannot find the guy. The weird thing is I could have sworn I had got him once before. It's weird, all the guys everyone else has had trouble with showed up easily for me, but this bastard is just stubborn.

I got Pythagorus when I've been trying different research variations with the english, he was a first GP to pop up. Try the English with some random starting techs, I'm not sure which unfortunately, but I've seen Pythagorus in my journey for cheops

Denny Crane
07-18-2008, 06:47 AM
any info on that f@g Gilgamesh, that bastard just wont show up... thanks

Raven1709
07-18-2008, 11:07 AM
So is there a way to check which people you already had? Cause I can hardly remember which people I had and people I still need

G315T
07-18-2008, 12:51 PM
If you go into the Hall of Legends in the Extras menu (or after you leave the stats area when you finish a game) and then push right on the D-pad once, you'll see a series of six portraits. The ones that are filled in, you've found.. the blank ones, you have not.

Edit: You guys have some bad luck. I unlocked this one by accident, half way through playing each civ on King from left to right on the civ selection menu. I played one game as the Spanish on Chieftain, then played each of the other civs on King Difficulty in order. I unlocked this during my German playthrough.

Do captured GP's count that are already settled in cities? They didn't seem to for me, unless I messed up that save game or something. I took over a city containing Nebuchadnezzar in one of my earlier games, but he was the last one I needed later on.

Tieg
07-18-2008, 01:50 PM
If you go into the Hall of Legends in the Extras menu (or after you leave the stats area when you finish a game) and then push right on the D-pad once, you'll see a series of six portraits. The ones that are filled in, you've found.. the blank ones, you have not.

Edit: You guys have some bad luck. I unlocked this one by accident, half way through playing each civ on King from left to right on the civ selection menu. I played one game as the Spanish on Chieftain, then played each of the other civs on King Difficulty in order. I unlocked this during my German playthrough.

Do captured GP's count that are already settled in cities? They didn't seem to for me, unless I messed up that save game or something. I took over a city containing Nebuchadnezzar in one of my earlier games, but he was the last one I needed later on.

Its been my experience that captured GP's do count as long as you move them to one of your cities and settle them. And say if a artist already resides in your city rather then just leave him there I'll generate some settlers and go create a small burg and settle the captured GP in there so that I know for sure that I get credit for the GP.

As mentioned earlier in this thread by me I got all my GPs by doing the 2 city cultural video as the greeks on chieftan on alpha centari until I had about 2/3s of the GP and then I just stopped doing that and started working on other achievements (higher difficulties, different civs, etc) and I gradually got them all. I needed confucious and armoggaden (whatever the spelling to early to go look for it lol) forever and then on one scenario where I was going for a king tech win I think I got them both one right after another. Its not the easiest achievement to get but its not the hardest either. I would be very frustrated if it was the last achievement keeping from the 1000gs point like I suspect this victory before 1000 ad will be. But that is another thread altogether ;)

Raven1709
07-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks people. I'll have a look later on. Gonna work on it tonight. Still need a lot of achievements but isn't too hard.

xDMWx Burgess
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
The English on King method worked for me and Plato finally showed up but he was the 8th or 9th GP. Thanks for the advice, after 2 days for several hours each day it was starting to get old. I only researched Pottery, Plato's Required Tech, then Ceremonial Burial for Temples, Literacy for Courthouses & Religion for the Cathedrals. I made Stonehenge and the Magna Carta then anything else I was able to along with warriors to defend. I set the village to growth, production & gold after I finished my research. Good Luck to everyone else grind this out.

LilMissRoxy
07-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Has anyone else been having trouble with Solomon? I've played for about 10 hours doing it the way of the video and about 5 full games of pure culture until my game ends.. I'm starting to think he doesn't exist!

innerpenguin
07-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I think that captured GPs do not count.

All I need is Agamemnon.

So, I made nothing but spy units and sent them out to cities that have GPs.

As luck would have it, I captured Agamemnon and settled him in one of my cities and I held that city to the end of the game.

But I did not get the achievement and Agamemnon is not in my GP gallery in the trophy room.

Pixie Ninja
07-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Has anyone else been having trouble with Solomon? I've played for about 10 hours doing it the way of the video and about 5 full games of pure culture until my game ends.. I'm starting to think he doesn't exist!

Not sure if it'll help, but I've been keeping track of who pops for me on Beta Centauri games with different civs and difficulty levels, and Solomon popped for the Greeks on both King and Emperor. Always worth a try?

Still on the hunt for Sargon myself. I saw mention of him in one game, but it was the Egyptians using him, so he didn't wind up settled in one of their cities.

graf1k
07-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I think that captured GPs do not count.

All I need is Agamemnon.

So, I made nothing but spy units and sent them out to cities that have GPs.

As luck would have it, I captured Agamemnon and settled him in one of my cities and I held that city to the end of the game.

But I did not get the achievement and Agamemnon is not in my GP gallery in the trophy room.

That must be why I never got credit for Pythagorus. Pretty sure I captured him. That's really stupid that it works like that.

Hoolig4n
07-19-2008, 09:35 PM
im in the same boat your in... ive played numerous games and Cheops just does not show up. i have every other leader but him. what gives?

oEliteSniper X
07-19-2008, 11:37 PM
F@#!%$@! Imhotep!

Can't get that Great Person to show up AT ALL, I've played everyone from English to Greek to Indian and even Aztec but no Imhotep. It's really grinding my gears!

Denny Crane
07-20-2008, 06:44 AM
seriously, am i the only one having trouble with that asshat gilgamesh?

innerpenguin
07-20-2008, 07:37 AM
I finally got my last great person. This is how I did it:

1. Aztecs on single player, chieftain level.

2. Went with "That We May Live in Peace" strategy of capturing every city as soon as possible. I captured all cities EXCEPT one by around 750 BC. I surrounded that last city with units so that he could not build elsewhere or dispatch any units.

3. This allows you to create a monopoly on all great persons. Simply build up your tech and your cities, switch to monarchy and watch the great ones pour in with plenty of time left in the game.

P.S. Before this strategy, I started 100 games using the Americans on single player chieftain. The reason is that the Americans get a great person at the beginning. There were 24 different starter great persons, with Stokowski and Tippu Sultan appearing way more often than anyone else.

Great Person Occurrence
Amundsen, Roald 2
Aristotle 1
Babbage, Charles 8
Bell, Alexander 1
Columbus, Christopher 2
Curie, Marie 2
da Gamma, Vasco 1
Douglas, Frederick 4
Edison, Thomas 4
Einstein, Albert 3
Fermi, Enrico 3
Ford, Henry 4
Gutenberg, Johannes 3
Hearst, W. R. 3
Lilienthal, Otto 2
Marx, Karl 1
Marconi, Guglielmo 5
Nightingale, Florence 1
Schweitzer, Albert 9
Stephenson, George 1
Stokowski, Leopold 15
Tippu Sultan 18
Whitney, Eli 3
Wright, Wilbur 7

Pixie Ninja
07-20-2008, 10:16 AM
seriously, am i the only one having trouble with that asshat gilgamesh?

I've seen Gilgamesh appear once since I've been keeping track - Beta Centauri with the Greeks on Warlord.

There's no way that the GP pops are random, as some GPs appear far more often that others. I'm not convinced that the associated tech for each GP has too much relevance either - surely if this was the case, then Beta Centauri games would offer up a level playing field for the likelihood of different GPs due to the tech tree being complete?

Of the 9 games I've tracked now, a few GPs have popped in 8 of them, whilst there are still 5 or 6 who have yet to show their faces. I'll have to flesh out my stats by getting in a good few more games. Oh, and great work innerpenguim too with your American starter GP stats, I wondered about playing around with that myself, but it's results seem just as weighted as the trends I've observed here.

tmg100
07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
OMFG! I cant get Homer what a retard who do i need to be to get him!

Colossus033
07-21-2008, 03:29 AM
hey
all i needed was Confucious and Marco Polo.... and i was trying for hours the video trick..... nope nothing.... then i tried what other people were saying and did a normal game as the english on chieftan... and my first two great people were Confucious and Marco Polo... :woop::woop::woop: 1000/1000!!!!!!

Raven1709
07-21-2008, 04:15 AM
After trying a couple of games with the Chinese I decided to hunt for Lou Zhu (something like that) Cause he is a humanitarian, I decided at almost the end of the game to make a ridicilous of settlers. And he popped up after the 7th city saw daylight. Is there a connection between the type of person and the GP appearing each time?

oEliteSniper X
07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Finally got the ever elusive Imhotep, I played Money Matters Most {or something to that effect} and picked the Americans and set my workers to science so I could get Pottery as well as Ceremonial Burial quick and not a second after I got Ceremonial Burial he popped up.

Donkeythebard
07-21-2008, 05:53 PM
LOL @ the replys of just " use teh civopedia"

Kahler Hahn
07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I only need Homer, but i tried the "english way" a dozen times and nothing... starting to get a little pissed

Hentai Otaku
07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
i need gilgamesh also, tried being english and only haveing researched horsemen on a normal game on cheiften and got david and thomas beckett who requires fuedalism >.< gonna try the scenario suggest above later tonight

eXtreme 1138
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Has anyone come any closer to figuring out whether or not the great people are entirely random yet? It would seem to me they're not... but I have no clue on how to get each individual person.

Walter Williams
07-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Just to add my two cents: No, it is not completely random. You will only get so many by doing the method on youtube. Once you have exhausted the Greeks, switch to normal games with different civilizations. On my last three people I used the English for Gilgamesh, the Mongols for Homer, and the Zulus for Nebuchadnezzar. I tried reloading saves to get different people, but that never worked for me. Just research the necessary technologies with different civilizations. If it does not work after an attempt or two, move on to another civilization.

This is the kind of achievement that makes me want to game save. I am pleased as punch to be done with it.

Kez
07-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Just finished this....been working for a while on my last three...got 2 of 'em yesterday, but was having ZERO luck with Plato, came back here for more suggestions, tried the English on King strat, researched only pottery, ceremonial burial and religion and waited...finally got him around 1980-2000, 9th GP in the game.....sooooo glad to be done with this one.

Tricause
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
The English on King method worked for me and Plato finally showed up but he was the 8th or 9th GP. Thanks for the advice, after 2 days for several hours each day it was starting to get old. I only researched Pottery, Plato's Required Tech, then Ceremonial Burial for Temples, Literacy for Courthouses & Religion for the Cathedrals. I made Stonehenge and the Magna Carta then anything else I was able to along with warriors to defend. I set the village to growth, production & gold after I finished my research. Good Luck to everyone else grind this out.
Plato was my last guy too. I spent about two hours trying the Greek method in the video and got nothing, then when I saw your's I played as English on a normal game on King. I got Plato right at the beginning. Thanks. 1000/1000 complete!

rOmiLaYu
07-22-2008, 08:31 PM
I can confirm that captured GP's don't count towards the acheivement because I just stole the last remaining GP I needed (Sargon) and settled him in the city. Built the UN and.... drumroll.... nothing.

Any ideas as to how to get him to pop up? Other than nicking him from a neighbor?

Good luck... this one is a bugger....

REDBEES
07-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I've gotten sargon on my many attempts to find cheops as the english on a normal game king difficulty while researching pottery and masonry(although sargon has been much more rare than some)

Has anyone gotten cheops after their 1st or 2nd GP? like after my 1st and 2nd GP, should I quit the game or see if he'll spawn on the 3rd, 4th etc. GP?

rOmiLaYu
07-22-2008, 09:30 PM
I've gotten sargon on my many attempts to find cheops as the english on a normal game king difficulty while researching pottery and masonry(although sargon has been much more rare than some)

Has anyone gotten cheops after their 1st or 2nd GP? like after my 1st and 2nd GP, should I quit the game or see if he'll spawn on the 3rd, 4th etc. GP?
I hate to tell you this, as I'm sure it will only upset you, but I've gotten Cheops to appear multiple times as both the Greeks and the English on Beta Centauri Scenarioes...never had any problems with him.

REDBEES
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
I hate to tell you this, as I'm sure it will only upset you, but I've gotten Cheops to appear multiple times as both the Greeks and the English on Beta Centauri Scenarioes...never had any problems with him.
has he only appeared as your first or 2nd great person? or have you gotten him later in the game aswell?

rOmiLaYu
07-23-2008, 01:27 AM
has he only appeared as your first or 2nd great person? or have you gotten him later in the game aswell? I got him well into the game each time... around the 1900s to early 2000's if recall correctly.

Seraph Metatron
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
I am really curious how the script for these great people works. It seems that none of us have cracked the code. I am looking for Marco Polo and Sargon (Marco Polo doesn't seem to be one that a lot of people are missing, but Sargon more than others). I doubt it is random, but I wonder if it is affected by our gameplay. The manner in which we play a game could do it.

But I gotta tell you, I want to strangle Charles Babbage, everytime I do the Beta Centauri rush, I get him. I honestly must have unlocked him about 15 times now.

Rain 2k7
07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm searching for Nebuchadezzar.
I played Civ Rep bout 25 times but this Great Person doesn`t come.
Is there a way to get him fast?
Have I to get a special scenario ?

bluee1234
07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
ive tried the great people trick so many times and I never get him. I always get the same great builders. It doesnt seem like he is going to show up this way. Does anyone know how they got him,what civilization what diff., any help with be amazing.he's the last person i need so annoying.thanks

graf1k
07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Just in case people are not sure, any Great Person can be got playing the Beta Centauri scenario. Honestly I'm not 100% sure what effect playing as a different civilization or difficulty level has but it seems to be to be mostly random. The best advice I'd give is try playing a game where you take over every city in the game and let your culture build up. I gleamed two potentially important things doing this. First, it seems some Great People may show up sequentially, and therefore certain great people may be a prerequisite for other great people to show up. Secondly, I noticed when taking over cities belonging to other civilizations, they generally had the same great people every time. For instance, before I finally earned him, I noticed the Egyptians had Pythagoras at least three times when I took them over. So I tried playing a pretty deep (2 hours or so) game with the Egyptians and right around the point my total culture earned was hitting the 6000s or so, he finally showed up. I can't say this is always going to be true, but for people bashing their brains out looking for one person, it may be worth a try.

Psil0X
07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I need Homer and Sargon!

XDG Vaportech01
07-24-2008, 05:24 AM
hey i get problem to finding last three Great people and they are Agamemhon, Nebuchadnezzar, marco polo. I keep follow the guide and none of those people appear so anyone know how?

also im not sure if Video said anything about GP because im deaf so did video said anything or i just KEEP playing ENGLISH and GREEK long time to get GP and they are SAME SAME PEOPLE i have in GP so i need any advice

botafogo007
07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Okay, I just got my last two great people, Sargon and Agammemnon, and I've noticed others in this thread having trouble with them too. Here's how they popped for me:

- I got Agammemnon while playing as the Indians on Chieftain difficulty in the Beta Centauri scenario. After finishing the other achievements I was grinding out my last few wins with civilizations I hadn't played yet, and I was putting as much into culture as I could while playing (much like the Greek video in the achievement guide). He just popped randomly for me, and I'd already gotten David, which I thought was strange. I wasn't going for a Domination win or anything -- just had 2 cities I was grinding out gold and culture with for an economic victory.

- Sargon actually popped on my first try. I looked in the Civopedia and saw that he requires Bronze working, so I started a new regular game (again on Chieftain) -- not a scenario -- with the Egyptians, though I don't think that mattered. I researched a couple things while I waited for my culture to build up, then made sure I was IN THE PROCESS of researching bronze when my first great person appeared. Lo and behold it was Sargon. It could have been coincidence, but I don't think so.

It's my theory that if you're researching the tech that a particular great person needs at the time a great person appears...it will be that particular person (assuming no other civilization has had him appear for them, which you unfortunately have no way of knowing). If you're missing someone I'd say check the Civopedia, find out which tech that person needs, and make sure you have a great person set to appear while you're researching it. It might take more than one try since another civ. could have that great person and you'd have no way of knowing.

XDG Vaportech01
07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
hey i get problem to finding last three Great people and they are Agamemhon, Nebuchadnezzar, marco polo. I keep follow the guide and none of those people appear so anyone know how?

also im not sure if Video said anything about GP because im deaf so did video said anything or i just KEEP playing ENGLISH and GREEK long time to get GP and they are SAME SAME PEOPLE i have in GP so i need any advice

Finally, get 2 GP name Nebuchadnezzar and marco polo through working on other achievements but cant found Agamemhon >< so anyone still know how to get that person and if i get that person then i will be 1k :)

Thanks

cerafino
07-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Finally, get 2 GP name Nebuchadnezzar and marco polo through working on other achievements but cant found Agamemhon >< so anyone still know how to get that person and if i get that person then i will be 1k :)

last person i needed was salomon and i got him a very, very strange way:
i played the game of the week (chinese civ) on warlord or king (don't remember). as i kidnapped the second GP from the egypts (th. becket) the achievement unlocked. salomon wasn't around in the whole game. strange...well, anyway. :)

PS: it seems to me you have to play on different days. all of my last three appeared in "the first game of the next day". :confused:

http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/cerafino.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/cerafino)

LilMissRoxy
07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Not sure if it'll help, but I've been keeping track of who pops for me on Beta Centauri games with different civs and difficulty levels, and Solomon popped for the Greeks on both King and Emperor. Always worth a try?

Still on the hunt for Sargon myself. I saw mention of him in one game, but it was the Egyptians using him, so he didn't wind up settled in one of their cities.

I love you!!!!! I played Beta Centauri as the Greek on King and of course.. the first game I played he showed! I'm so grateful as I spent like 20 hours already trying to get the last one on chieftan. I'm not sure if this was luck or not... but it worked! THANKS!

Pixie Ninja
07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
I love you!!!!! I played Beta Centauri as the Greek on King and of course.. the first game I played he showed! I'm so grateful as I spent like 20 hours already trying to get the last one on chieftan. I'm not sure if this was luck or not... but it worked! THANKS!*grins* Glad I could be of help! There's simply no way that the GPs are truly random, as some were definitely popping more often than others. I'd decided to head back and keep track of the order of pop in my Beta Centauri game, and what happens? Sargon pops a few turns from the end of the game. There I was getting ready to knock out a steady line of BC games, keeping track of the GP pops, and he pops in the first game. Life is such a conspiracy at times...

Seraph Metatron
07-25-2008, 04:56 PM
It is interesting, I just got Marco Polo while developing currency as was mentioned for Sargon in a earlier post. I tried it for Sargon, but did not get him, but continued the game and got Marco Polo instead (which was one I still needed). I am going to keep trying and see if I can get it to work with Sargon.

Hkem
07-26-2008, 09:31 AM
I only need plato, any tips?

Rain 2k7
07-26-2008, 09:44 AM
I GOT IT !
I did same procedure than anyway like shown in the video.
But this time I took the Arabian.
The 3rd person that become was Nebuchadnezzar.

Now I just need the f**king 1000 AD victory

justinpf
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Its down to Imhop and Homer for me, then all 1000geez. Its weird, because almost all of the GP everyone else here is having trouble with appear quite often for me, while these fkkaz wont come out no matter how much bait I use to lure them in. Its almost as if somehow, all of our discs have some form of different coding in them... Strage.

ZERATUL PL
07-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I need Homer and Aesop... any idead how to get those??? I tried beta centauri on diff difficulty settings with greeks and romans and nothing :/

Seraph Metatron
07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Blast you Sargon...this is getting annoying.

ZERATUL PL
07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok people HERE'S MY ADVICE
As u can see above I needed Homer and Aesop but I think my idea may work for any ancient great person.
What i did... I started the regular game with Greece and built a city. Changed workers to science and researched Pottery and Ceremonial Burial. I built a Temple. At the same time I checked what research do I neet in order to get Great Person (Homer - Alphabet, Aesop - Writing) so i researched those two and then i changed workers in the city to production and science to gold. I built temple and magna carta and stonhenge. Then I was patiently waiting fot those two to show up. I got Aesop in the first try, and Homer on the second try.

I don't guarantee it's gonna work, but it worked for me :) FINALLY 1000/1000 :)

KabuKiArcade
07-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks to all posters above...

I was missing Nebuchadnezzar and Plato.

Got Nebuchadnezzar rather easily playing a regular game as Zulu, but Plato took a LOT more work. Eventually after trying some suggestions above, I got him on a Regular/King/English game researching only Pottery, Ceremonial Burial, and Religion. Still he was the 7th or 8th guy in that game, makes me think there is a civ that gets him 'sooner' but even so, the method worked.

-KabuKiArcade

justinpf
07-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Goddammit Homer, this is getting rediculous. I have tried just about everything mentioned in this thread, and absolutely no luck. This some bullshyt.

SteelNynjah
07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
a sure fire way to get all the great persons is by playing a scenario like Beta Centauri, on king or higher, and play for domination. As you capture cities, you will get thier great persons as well.

Shen2008
07-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Agamemnon is a pain in the ass!!!

Tron
07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
a sure fire way to get all the great persons is by playing a scenario like Beta Centauri, on king or higher, and play for domination. As you capture cities, you will get thier great persons as well.

ive found using Spy Ring's are just as useful and the game goes quicker.

Hkem
07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
I tried using a spy to steal the last great person I need (Plato) but the achievement doesn't pop. Any idea why?

Shen2008
07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I tried using a spy to steal the last great person I need (Plato) but the achievement doesn't pop. Any idea why?

There have been mixed report on this. Some people claim it works and some don't.

supak00ldud3
07-30-2008, 04:07 PM
OK Hi everyone I have been doing some research whilst trying to find the last person I needed for this achievement; Sargon.

I had all the other achievements except for the "Win by 100AD" one before I started going for all great people. I started with only a few Great people, and had only won the game 3 times (Diety, King, and Warlord).

I started doing the achievement using the Youtube trick for about 2 weeks, but like many others I kept getting the same GP over and over. Eventually I got Aesop, but still no sign of Sargon.

I kept a really detailed record of who came up and when/why, but I won't post it on here because there is absolutely no correlation between who turned up and what I did in the game - seriously, none whatsoever it's is entirely random.

What I think this means is that with 1 person left, the odds of getting that GP using the youtube trick are really really slim, and I am pretty sure there is a higher probability of getting GP you have already unlocked, so you're relying entirely on luck.

Anyway, I stopped doing the youtube trick and tried lots of other stuff, such as starting lots of new games as USA (this doesn't work at all) and playing pretty much every scenario as every Civ possible (also note that I found no correlation between what civ you are and what GP you unlock).

Anyway here is how I finally unlocked him:

1. Start a new game on Warlord difficulty as British civilisation.

2. On your first go place 1 worker on food and one on science. Begin researching Pottery and skip through the turns until you have unlocked it.

3. Around the time you discover pottery, you should have one more worker - put this one on production and start building Stonehenge. After discovering pottery start researching Ceremonial Burial.

4. During all this, you should be getting small amounts of culture each turn. After Ceremonial Burial swith to Religion and after building stonehenge build a Temple.

5. Just before you reach this stage you should have enough culture to unlock a Great Person - the first person I unlocked was Sargon.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3690/sargonww0.jpg

I did the same thing twice after unlocking this pain in the ass achievement, and the same thing happened both times. I'm not sure why this worked (perhaps I just got really luck 3 times in a row, but I doubt it) but it did.

Can some one in the same position as me try this out, and verify if it works? (Sorry for getting your hops up if it doesn't)

There have been mixed report on this. Some people claim it works and some don't.

No, STEALING GP USING SPIES WILL NOT GET YOU THE ACHIEVEMENT

DeeperSilence
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Have you tried the strategy from the guide? That is a way to get a ton of great people. Also, I had problems where I played a lot one day and none of the info saved to my hard drive... the achievements unlocked but I had to go back and play certain civilizations or win certain ways to get the stackables.

Shen2008
07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
OK Hi everyone I have been doing some research whilst trying to find the last person I needed for this achievement; Sargon.

Meh! the annoying thing is i got sargon in the last two game playing as German on warlord and king difficulty with the Beta Centauri scenario

arg!! i want my agammenon

d3vilsnight
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
[EDIT] It looks like ENGLISH unlocks Imhotep; I've played 5 games with ENGLISH and he's appeared every time! Maybe someone should make a Great Person guide??

Considering that Imhotep was Egyptian, that is highly unlikely and would make no sense.

Also, I played my first game as English recently, and had unlocked Imhotep days earlier, playing as a civ other than English. I unlocked my last Great Person, Lao Tzu, during that English game.

I think unlocking Great People would be easiest playing Beta Centauri scenario and going for cultural victory, because if the Great People are indeed tied to certain technologies, you will have them all already, and just focus on developing your Culture all game. Play a few games like that, and you are sure to get them all.

Hkem
07-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Does the difficulty affect which GP are available, do you think? It's my last achievement now, and tried a few different races and scenarios (ones with pottery research involved) and still no Plato. I think he must get picked up by another race early on, because Pottery is an early tech, but I never know until I conquer them.

A Falling Brick
07-30-2008, 11:31 PM
I also only need plato so guna try the method suggested further up with the english civ.

whover said they captured him from another civ? what Civ did you catch him from can you remember?

johnny5isalive
07-31-2008, 02:46 AM
I just got Homer for my last one. I used the English method and he appeared as the 6th or 7th person. Finally.......

Shen2008
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
finally got angemmenon to pop. was playing as english, beta centauri and on king.

:drunk

QuickCorolla
07-31-2008, 05:30 PM
it really does seem as everyone is missing different people...but Imhotep is still killing me....i rented this game...im missing this one guy....and the game goes back today...imma be sad (not really) if i dont get this guy

QuickCorolla
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Imhotep must die.....

Me-> :uzi::eek:<-Imhotep

lol ill never get him and ie tried everything

AngryBeaver914
08-01-2008, 01:41 AM
im missing only leonardo da vinci, any ideas anyone? im guessing romans would be the civ for him?

Hkem
08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
I've had Leo several times doing the beta centauri trick.

Pyro5845
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Imhotep pops quite often for me, I seem to get the ones most everyone here is missing. The only one that refuses to show his face is Lao Tzu. Can anyone give me some hints to what I might to do make this guy show up? I have tried the youtube trick, someone posted that they got him using the English and he hasn't popped when I tried that so I'm at a loss.

IceMan 8619
08-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Just an fyi, the spawning of the great people is completely random. I've played games where I have only researched Horseback Riding to get Gilgamesh and I would get James Watt, Thomas Edison, Frederick Dougless, and many others who required technologies found in later ages so it appears that the technologies mean nothing :(.

I've done Beta Centauri and I've played the game as every civiliation at least twice. I've played on every difficulty. I usually get the same great people most of the time. As mentioned above, some of them spawn more than others. My brother and I both have been trying to get Gilgamesh to no avail. For some of the ones mentioned above, ie Da Vinci, Marco Polo, etc I have no problem getting. In fact I wish I didn't get them so much and got Gilgamesh a bit more.

Also, there is no specific civ that you need to play to get a specific great person. The only difference in the different civs are their abilities to generate great people better, ie Greeks have chance for more great people. Hope this sheds a little light on the situation. Oh and I'm still waiting for Gilgamesh, seems somethings will never change....

RiverCityDak
08-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I feel for everybody who's still missing Homer -- he's the only great person who won't show up for me. Just gotta be patient, though honestly I'm not a fan of the achievements that seem to be based on luck more than anything else.

A Satyr
08-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Imhotep pops quite often for me, I seem to get the ones most everyone here is missing. The only one that refuses to show his face is Lao Tzu. Can anyone give me some hints to what I might to do make this guy show up? I have tried the youtube trick, someone posted that they got him using the English and he hasn't popped when I tried that so I'm at a loss. Im missing those 2 i will try Egyptians for Imho, and Chinese for Lao

Ben Sharpe
08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I managed to get Giglamesh by accident I got him by using a spy lol, finally unlocked it :D

Tron
08-11-2008, 11:15 AM
im still waiting on Homer. im almost at the end of my rope.

xkefmeisterx
08-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I have found a way to get ´´imhotep´´ very fast,

i works this way.

Pick the japanese as your civilization cause they have already ceremonial burial (which infact imhotep requires)
Just switch your workers to gold and wait for him to pop up.

i tryd this 4 times and he always popped up on me..

if anyone has a suggestion on how to get agamemnon contact me

the_b1ues
08-12-2008, 12:48 AM
have to try this he is only 1 of 2 i need for my last achievement

Darth Odan
08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm missing Cheops. Is there an easy way to get him? A way such as the Japan method? Japan method...funny really. Ihmopted was like the 15th person who came out with Japan. I actually almost quit out before it too...

iCe-b0mB
08-13-2008, 08:39 PM
i would appreciate if someone tell me some way of getting Confucius as he is the only one left in my list ;/

IceMan 8619
08-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow, it took damn near forever but I finally got Gilgamesh. I started a normal game on Chieftan as the English. I decided to swap my worker focus to production and complete Stonehenge before going for research. When Stonehenge was completed I swapped my worker focus to research and began researching Horseback Riding. By this time, a great person was ready to appear in another turn or two. When it did, it happened to be Gilgamesh.

So for future strategies for those who need a great person from a skill that is a Tier 1 tech (aka pottery, horseback riding, bronze working, or alphabet) use this same method and hopefully it will help you get your great person. This may even work for the people that come from Tier 2 techs but I cant say for sure. I may try this same method again to see if it works again. Anywho, 100% completed! :locked

iCe-b0mB
08-14-2008, 07:32 AM
argh finally ... was playing a normal game slightly like the way iceman just posted above and my fourth person was Confucius .... :)

Tron
08-14-2008, 11:10 AM
i got HOMER last night as the Arabs, also got Cheops, Aganemnom, David, and pretty much all the hard to get guys...fantastic!

Seraph Metatron
08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
So I got this achievement a few weeks ago. But as I have been playing through all of the civilizations on deity, I have noticed that there are still some great people that I still can't get. I mean I got people like Marco Polo and Sargon once when I unlocked this achievement, but since then I don't think either has appeared once. This continues to lead me to believe that it is not totally random and somehow hinges on playing style and method.

Tron
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
i agree with Seraph. I only played with the Arabs twice, and i got Builders and Great Generals and one or two artists. i never get David or Agamnemon when i play as english

dhfout
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
all i need is fredrick douglas and choeps please help.....derek

tadpeters
08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Stupid Cheops... I've gotten everybody else at least two or three times at this point.

J.Waddo
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Damn, I really feelm for you guys, the famous people that everyone else needs always pop up for me, the only 2 sons of bitches I cant get are Aesop and Agamennon:(

naptownsteeler
08-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Took me 5 hours to get Agamemnon to finally appear. It sucks but just going.

shattering
08-17-2008, 02:13 AM
I think the leader/Civ you choose will affect which great person will appear.

I just got my last one 5 minutes ago, Plato.

I remember capturing him when playing a game from the mongols, but capturing doesn't unlock the great person in the hall of fame.

So today I tried playing with the mongols, on chieftain, no tech research, just waiting the culture to go up for the first great person to pop up. And BOOM, there he is, Plato, and my 45G Achievement. 1000/1000.

naptownsteeler
08-17-2008, 02:16 AM
I think the leader/Civ you choose will affect which great person will appear.

I just got my last one 5 minutes ago, Plato.

I remember capturing him when playing a game from the mongols, but capturing doesn't unlock the great person in the hall of fame.

So today I tried playing with the mongols, on chieftain, no tech research, just waiting the culture to go up for the first great person to pop up. And BOOM, there he is, Plato, and my 45G Achievement. 1000/1000.

Not true I unlocked 95% of the great people while playing as the Americans.

shattering
08-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Not true I unlocked 95% of the great people while playing as the Americans.

I also unlocked 99% using the the same civ, which is greeks. Plato is the only one missing.

What I meant is, I think that some civ unlocks a great person more often than the other civ.

J.Waddo
08-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Just need god damn Aesop now, played 20+ games and still haven't got him:mad:

Iva Bigan
08-18-2008, 06:14 PM
best way i've found is to research to tech needed then turn research off to gold until the person appears gone from 7 - 3 usin this method

Krenn
08-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I finally got the last two - Cheops and Sargon! After trying the Greek/Beta Centauri trick a half-dozen times, I was still short these two.

What I did was go through each civ in order, just researching the minimal techs and quitting after the first 10 or so great people. Since I went through in order, it's easy to tell how long it took - got Cheops with Germany (5th game) and Sargon with Russians (7th game); I accidentally did Russia twice. That's after playing lots of normal games, of course...

One more tip - if you're getting really annoyed by the World Bank/UN popup, just create a new city on the water with 0 food and low production and have it build the World Bank or UN in 500 turns.

Langfat
08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
After plowing through the greek/beta centauri trick at least 20 times, and with the Romans and English as well, I still needed 3: Cheops, Aesop and Plato. After scouring the Internet for a bit, I then got all 3 within the next 20 minutes. I am convinced great people are tied to Civs and/or difficulties.

Cheops:

Civ: English
Difficulty: King
Change city production to science. Research Pottery then Masonry (the tech Cheops is associated with). After Masonry was researched, took it off tech and switched it to production (i also pressed 'y' to switch science to gold, just in case). I was building the Samurai Castle wonder just so I didn't have to bother with the city screen anymore.

Waited for a great person to appear, and he was the first! This took me several tries though. I got other rare ones too, like Homer and David on my first few goes.

Plato and Aesop I both got as the first great person with the Mongols. For Aesop I did a similar method to above but with alphabet then writing (which is his associated tech). I can't remember what I did for Plato, sorry. I know that I got Plato on King difficulty. Can't remember if Aesop was King or Chieftain. Mess around with it and hopefully you'll get it sooner or later. If it's not your first great person then quit and start again. Feel free to mix some variables up. YMMV.

Chuppernicus
08-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Okay, I just got my last two great people, Sargon and Agammemnon, and I've noticed others in this thread having trouble with them too. Here's how they popped for me:

- I got Agammemnon while playing as the Indians on Chieftain difficulty in the Beta Centauri scenario. After finishing the other achievements I was grinding out my last few wins with civilizations I hadn't played yet, and I was putting as much into culture as I could while playing (much like the Greek video in the achievement guide). He just popped randomly for me, and I'd already gotten David, which I thought was strange. I wasn't going for a Domination win or anything -- just had 2 cities I was grinding out gold and culture with for an economic victory.

- Sargon actually popped on my first try. I looked in the Civopedia and saw that he requires Bronze working, so I started a new regular game (again on Chieftain) -- not a scenario -- with the Egyptians, though I don't think that mattered. I researched a couple things while I waited for my culture to build up, then made sure I was IN THE PROCESS of researching bronze when my first great person appeared. Lo and behold it was Sargon. It could have been coincidence, but I don't think so.

It's my theory that if you're researching the tech that a particular great person needs at the time a great person appears...it will be that particular person (assuming no other civilization has had him appear for them, which you unfortunately have no way of knowing). If you're missing someone I'd say check the Civopedia, find out which tech that person needs, and make sure you have a great person set to appear while you're researching it. It might take more than one try since another civ. could have that great person and you'd have no way of knowing.

This worked for me on my second go. My last GP was ole' Sargon, the achievement actually popped before the dialog box appeared and told me a GP had appeared. Thanks-
I pretty much followed your plan and DID NOT research bronze working which defies logic as that is the tech he is linked to. Craziness/

adrenaline1983
08-31-2008, 11:49 AM
This worked for me on my second go. My last GP was ole' Sargon, the achievement actually popped before the dialog box appeared and told me a GP had appeared. Thanks-
I pretty much followed your plan and DID NOT research bronze working which defies logic as that is the tech he is linked to. Craziness/

Hmmm, strange. I'm going to try this in a moment and see what happens. I only need three more achievements for this.

Amalrik
08-31-2008, 05:36 PM
It remains me 5 Great Persons to find. I tried maybe 5 times the method of the guide but no results.

Did someone try to catch the Great People on a full game (not only Beta Centuri Scenario) ? I mean, start with no technologies, and discover Technologies at the same time of Great People (and at the good period of history). Maybe it's the solution to unlock easily really specific Great Person (for example : take the Chinese, and search for Alphabet to unlock Confucius)

Erik 08
09-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I just got Agememnon on Deity Difficulty with Greece on Beta Centauri, as I was going for an cultural win. He was the last great person to appear in this match.
Now I just need Sophocles, any hints?

Amalrik
09-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, with 10 games, I success to unlock Pythagorus and Confucius ...
Sargon, Esope and Platon still missing :(

exsiben
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Well like everyone else I was stuck with just a single GP left.. damn Agammemnon, one elusive sucker. I tried everything in this thread, I even used the Greek vid strats to finish off my remaining civ victories since it was quick. Agammemnon still remained. I played through I don't know how many different types of games and strategies, and finally I made one myself.

Now let me just say this is by no means fast. My game took at least 6-7 hours, maybe less if I didn't take breaks.

I started a game as Greeks/Cheiftain/Beta Centauri. My goal - to unlock all GPs in one game.

-At the start of the game I did everything I could to capture 3 of the closest capitals. Only took a vet artillery army thanks to cheiftain 100%.

-Then I began rushing culture and population in all my cities. Whenever a city would get relatively high (upper 20s) I would make a settler and start a new city.

-My next goal was to find the remaining civ and defend Mod Infantry around them so they cannot do anything, had Egypt halted at 10 pop for the game.

-Then I just started spamming settlers to every open spot on the map and maxing culture.

The results, I had 23 cities max pop, each earning at least 108 culture per turn. I was bringing in 20,000 trade per turn, which I originally was using for future tech until I no longer needed it, then gold to get rid of that pop up. And I was raking in a total 2916 culture per turn, as Greeks with I found their perk to add 50%, i was looking at close to 4500 culture per turn. I never allowed the Manhattan Project wonder to finish because it tied cities up for a while with no management needed (rush battleships when it gets close and sell them).

Anyways I was unlocking a GP about every 5 turns, even at the end when I required 20,000+ culture. Agammemnon finally popped and I nearly cried. He was the 35th GP to unlock this game. I unlocked a total of 40 GPs myself. I stole 3 from the enemy, leaving only 2 unaccounted for: Pythagorus and Plato. But I have seen them plenty of times throughout culture rush strats.

So if you are really adamant about getting this achievement feel free to try this. In conclusion after looking at some gamer cards, I have decided that this achievement would probably not have been so time consuming had I just played through normally with all the civs instead of just rushing victories. I see people with this ach unlocked only after 4 or 5 civ wins.

Hope this helps those out there stuck as I was.

Amalrik
09-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, I finally success to get my last 3 Great People. Really easily ! Some explanations...

I played as Greeks, normal single player, chieftain level. I make the research for the wanted GP technology. And the next turn, I got a Great People (because of cultura). It was the focus GP.

It has been worked for Platon, Sargon and Esope.

Good luck everyone ! If you need more details, don't hesitate to send me a PM ;)

ficti0n
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Anyone had any luck with Marco polo? Could those who have got him post the race and mode they were playing?

Thanks

AccidentReport
08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
This is starting to get annoying now. I've got everyone except Cheops and its driving me nuts!

I've tried time and again to just research pottery and masonry (the tech you need for cheops) but for some reason he never unlocks. Confusing i even unlocked James Watt long before his tech had been unlcoked by any civ.

Been mostly playing as english for teh culture bonus but gonna have to try someone else I guess. Any suggestions on if theres a better civ to get cheops?

Yid1984
03-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Cheers for helping me find Imhotep. Was struggling to find him but first try after reading the English civ tip.

Just got to win aon Deity now :woop:

PaidLeek1
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
i have been stuck on 2 GP for the longest time now... except i got gilgamesh (second last) without even realizing... musta picked him up from another city when i decided to take over the world lol... anyways, back to cheops, he has eluded me forever now and its kinda pissing me off, did the greek trick X amount of times... too many to count... and no cheops, and i have just started the english trick and i got homer as the first person, then some other dumbass' that i obviously dont need... i only researched pottery and masonry, so that should make him pop up when i get a great person, but nnnnoooooooo, he has to be a jerk and run away apparently lol any more help would be appreciated :)

kapsior
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM
I played as English on Beta Centari Scenario, some tips:
- build or buy 3-5 tank armies
- capture all enemy Cities except last capital, surround them with your armies
- ignore Barbarians
- make about 20 large Cities and boosts coolture to 1200-1300 per turn
- ... and then just press B B B B B :-)

KevinatorGT
03-11-2013, 01:08 AM
I had only one great person left for the final achievement to complete this game for 1000g. I don't know why it took so long but I had to play about 10 games researching pottery and cermonial burial before he finally appeared. Rediculous!

sleepydumbdude
03-18-2013, 06:04 AM
I followed this

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/941684-sid-meiers-civilization-revolution/49176488

With the French.
J.S. Bach,Cheops, Lao Tzu. Only took me one reload and took me less than 30 minutes.

dreamz69
03-23-2013, 12:28 AM
i got four left

pythagoras, gilgamesh, homer and david

whats frustrating - i found gilgamesh in another civilisation's city - kidnapped him - but it doesnt seem to count :(

mrssmith626
09-28-2013, 04:17 AM
I only need Pythagoras, and this is the last achievement I need to complete the game!! So frustrating! I've tried the Greek culture grind method (with Rome as well) in Beta Cebtauri and also the normal game strategy with the English only researching up to Mathematics, but still no dice! Anyone have any advice?

1001puppys
12-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Figured I would jump in this thread and give my input on the three bastards I was missing.

1. Aesop

Saw that I needed writing, so I loaded up the Chinese on Chieftan. I immediately turned off all production so it would simulate 3000 years to 1000BC where the first great person shows up. It took me six tries, but there he was.

2. Imhotep

I have found a way to get ´´imhotep´´ very fast,

i works this way.

Pick the japanese as your civilization cause they have already ceremonial burial (which infact imhotep requires)
Just switch your workers to gold and wait for him to pop up.

i tryd this 4 times and he always popped up on me..

if anyone has a suggestion on how to get agamemnon contact me

You sir, are a God. This method worked first try, first great person.

3. Plato

The English method seemed to work, I did it while researching Ceremonial burial (going after Imhotep) and he randomly popped.

I can't believe this achievement turned into such a nightmare!

I can also confirm that the method for capturing people via spies DOES NOT WORK. I did this for Aesop, settled him at home, won the game, and he was still blanked out on my wall. It wasn't until 10 hours later when I had exhausted Beta Centari and came here for tips.

Spanish Assault
03-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Using the video in the guide I have gotten all but Agammemnon. That seems to be the best method. I am also playing with every civilization so I can get a win with each one. Hopefully he pops soon.

EDIT: Got the last one I needed right after posting here.

Direkin
03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Been trying for ages now. Finally got J.S. Bach, so still have Gilgamesh to go.