PDA

View Full Version : Is It Worth Buying?

Steven E Harris
06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi people. I've had a look at this game and it's achievements and want to know if it's worth me spending 40 on?

I normally like these sort of games but the screens I've seen contain cartoon like characters and those '3' point achievements which puts me off a bit, otherwise it seems fine.

So anybody who has played this please tell me if it's good enough for the money by Wednesday (Next time I'll be off to the store), thanks.

Roaming Dragon
06-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi people. I've had a look at this game and it's achievements and want to know if it's worth me spending 40 on?

I normally like these sort of games but the screens I've seen contain cartoon like characters and those '3' point achievements which puts me off a bit, otherwise it seems fine.

So anybody who has played this please tell me if it's good enough for the money by Wednesday (Next time I'll be off to the store), thanks.

Yeah it is worth the buy mate, i got all them 3's and the one 9 point achievement in the first game i played.

I don't understand why your paying 40 pound for it, i got mine for 29.99 off play.com mate so i'd loook there first.

In my opinion it is a very good game, very addictive it really makes you wanna play and progress more.

-Roaming Dragon

hustler
06-15-2008, 05:53 PM
i dont think so there are so many better things they could have done i mean there is not even a campaign :eek:

and you get to like 2090 and the game ends in five turns:eek::eek::eek::eek:

it could have been much better

Roaming Dragon
06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah thats true, alot of things could of been done diffferently. But i mean you can say that about almost every game.

Yeah that is probably the one thing that annoys me, the fact it ends at 2099. But coming to think about it the only time it has finished then is when i've been mucking about, most people win before then so mayeb your doing something wrong. But other than that, thats if for me, its a very addictive game and there is alot of things you can do to which i think is brilliant.

Also it doesn't get boring when playing as different Civilizations, this is because of the different abilities they get every turn of the Century; this makes the game last alot longer.

I think this is the first game of its kind on the 360 (I may be wrong but from memroy i cannot remember) and in my opinion it has served itself very well.

-Roaming Dragon

Steven E Harris
06-15-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't understand why your paying 40 pound for it, i got mine for 29.99 off play.com mate so i'd loook there first.

Well I used to buy my games online back in 2006 off loads of sites but they all ended up having problems, like being 5 days late and sending the wrong game lol. Only thing's I buy online these days are hard to get items :p.

Roaming Dragon
06-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Well thats fair enough buddy, but Play.com do next day deliverey i mean i pre-ordered mine and i got it on the day of release.

I'd recommend Play.com to anyone.

-Roaming Dragon

eXtreme 1138
06-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Well thats fair enough buddy, but Play.com do next day deliverey i mean i pre-ordered mine and i got it on the day of release.

I'd recommend Play.com to anyone.

-Roaming Dragon

I second that! Honestly, I buy everything off there. Plus, usually, my pre-orders come a day early! Not to sound too much like an advertiserment, but they have great prices and delivery times. And no problems ever!

But, to answer to the original question: I think Game are selling it for 30 so I say go buy it. It's great, fun and addctive.

ThunderStorm101
06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
the best 30/40 quid ive spent in a while,

nuf said

Vapourise
06-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah it is worth the buy mate, i got all them 3's and the one 9 point achievement in the first game i played.

In my opinion it is a very good game, very addictive it really makes you wanna play and progress more.

-Roaming Dragon

yh but what if people dont have a credit card if there a debt sitchuation like my dad, so i cant pre-order Battlefiled: Badcompy and get the free stuff :(

Chud 360
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Try the Demo if ur not sure.

Rickt
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't recommend play.com terrible customer service and twice they botched up my orders, and I had to wait 21 days to cancel a non-existent game on two occasions (DMC4, and HL2 <_<)

I'd definitely recommend GAME.co.uk however, just ordered this off there tonight. cannot wait :)

Steven E Harris
06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Try the Demo if ur not sure.

Yeah, I just started downloading it, should be complete in about half hour, but in my experience, demo's have been let downs in the past lol.

tastefulmrship
06-16-2008, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't recommend play.com terrible customer service and twice they botched up my orders, and I had to wait 21 days to cancel a non-existent game on two occasions (DMC4, and HL2 <_<)

I'd definitely recommend GAME.co.uk however, just ordered this off there tonight. cannot wait :)

I've never had a problem with play.com & I buy DVDs and games like they're going out of fashion. Maybe I've got my own courier as I buy so much from them! I'm keeping them in business! ^_^
I even bought my big tele from them and instead of taking 4 weeks to arrive (as the customer services person told me) it only took 2!

However, we ALL know how ropey online services are, I guess I was lucky!

tastefulmrship
06-16-2008, 07:06 AM

I really hate it when people ask if a game is 'worth it' or not! There are a lot of threads on this forum asking that. TRY THE DEMO!
Anyway, it's personal taste. If you like strategy, you'll probably like this. If you've never played turn-based strategy and you want to dip your toe in the 'strategy pool', then try BAND OF BUGs or COMMANDERS: ATTACK; they're cheaper and you'll marmite them!
I pre-ordered the game on the demo merits alone and damn glad I did! The game can be frustrating & unfair (DEITY!!), but it's indepth and satisfying when you finally get it right (GEVEXX's strategy is spot on!).

The graphics suit the game-style, but they do remind me a little of Populous: The Beginning in comparison to the original Populous games. Please DON'T let that put you off! Dumbing down of the style isn't always a bad thing... oh, and they left out a few civs from previous versions (PERSIANS for one!).
You'll get ALL the 3 & 9 point achievements in your first game. They're so easy you won't even know you're going for them; build another city, attack a barbarian camp, smoke pot with the AZTECs! All very simple to get!

So, on a personal level, I would recommend this game to all turn-based strategy fans. It might not be as good as the PC Civs, but I like it. Can't wait for the DLC or Civ:Rev2! The thing is YOU might not like it. The only way to find out is to either rent it or download the demo and find out for yourself.
Oh, and I only paid 24.99 from play.com

So, what's next? UFO: Enemy Unknown ONLINE Plus Turbo HD Remix Squared, Caesar:Domination Of Christendom, Starseige:Breakdown The Wall, X: Beyond the Farscape Comparison, Masters Of Orion: He-Man Edition, Settlers In Space, Theme Park Universe? Bring 'em all on!

IRONMAN
06-16-2008, 07:21 AM
How long is this game compared to the Demo? I know it all depends on if you succeed or not, but what if you just wanted to chill & build an empire? Can you play it for a long time or is it seriously turn based at a specific end time?

Rickt
06-16-2008, 07:32 AM
I've never had a problem with play.com & I buy DVDs and games like they're going out of fashion. Maybe I've got my own courier as I buy so much from them! I'm keeping them in business! ^_^
I even bought my big tele from them and instead of taking 4 weeks to arrive (as the customer services person told me) it only took 2!

However, we ALL know how ropey online services are, I guess I was lucky!

Haha I was never a customer like that, that probably why they neglected me :( But even so you are right I urge anyone who enjoys games to order offline the savings sometimes are crazy compared to the stores.

The demo was ok, go check out some hands on previous at the major gaming sites to draw more conclusions however. :)

tastefulmrship
06-16-2008, 07:52 AM
How long is this game compared to the Demo? I know it all depends on if you succeed or not, but what if you just wanted to chill & build an empire? Can you play it for a long time or is it seriously turn based at a specific end time?

In SINGLE PLAYER, it's game over at 2100AD. However, if you play a SCENARIO it keeps going! Chilling isn't really an option, unless you're playing CHIEFTAIN!

If someone knows the exact number of turns it takes to get to 2100AD, then please post here!

Once you've got 20 cities, it can take up-to 10 minutes going through them all and getting your armies in the right postions! And this is a single turn!
Most WARLORD games take 2/3 hours. KING takes 3/4 hours (including save/load). DEITY takes up to 5 hours of fiddling and defensive positioning! Once enemy civs realise you're not falling when they attack, they tend to back-off and regroup! Or, in Blitz-Krieg, turn on each other!

Randomnutta
06-16-2008, 08:02 AM
thanx.. was wondering if i should rent or buy this aswell

IRONMAN
06-16-2008, 01:52 PM
In SINGLE PLAYER, it's game over at 2100AD. However, if you play a SCENARIO it keeps going! Chilling isn't really an option, unless you're playing CHIEFTAIN!

If someone knows the exact number of turns it takes to get to 2100AD, then please post here!

Once you've got 20 cities, it can take up-to 10 minutes going through them all and getting your armies in the right postions! And this is a single turn!
Most WARLORD games take 2/3 hours. KING takes 3/4 hours (including save/load). DEITY takes up to 5 hours of fiddling and defensive positioning! Once enemy civs realise you're not falling when they attack, they tend to back-off and regroup! Or, in Blitz-Krieg, turn on each other!

Wow, thanks alot man.. Always loved the Sid Meiers games & now i know im going to be picking this up!

Chud 360
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I just started downloading it, should be complete in about half hour, but in my experience, demo's have been let downs in the past lol.

If a demo is a letdown, dont buy the game. I have bought Bioshock and Ninja Gaiden as they had great demos

ThunderStorm101
06-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Well the Burnout paradise demo was uter shit, but the game was awesome :)

But for this case, Civ demo is good, the game... AMAZING :)

Steven E Harris
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I finally found some time to play the demo and I kinda liked it, and most of you guys have stood up for the game so I guess I'll pick this up tomorrow, thanks guys.

Jacabongo
06-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Not sure what to make of it...