MS: 'We want to be first again with Xbox 3'

Weapon 117

At a "strategy level" Microsoft wants to be first to the market again with its next-generation Xbox, Entertainment & Device Devision boss Robbie Bach has said.

Speaking during an interview with Venture Beat, Bach said that if you asked him whether being first to market with Xbox 360 was the right decision, he'd say "definitely yes," and the platform holder has a desire to do it again with the next console.

"The last cycle for the original Xbox was a little shorter than typical (at four years). We started way late," he said. "If you take the question of whether it was the right thing to try to be first [with Xbox 360], the answer to that is definitely yes. It has given us a leg up in a number of places that are super important.

"It has given us a leg up with game developers. It has given us a leg up from an economics perspective. It helped us expand Xbox Live quickly. At a strategy level, if you asked if we wanted to be first again, I would say yes."

But the E&DD boss said it was "too early to tell" when quizzed on his expectation for the next console's release plans. "Our view is we will be selling Xbox 360 for a long time," he said.

"People ask me how many people I have working on the next generation. On the one hand, it's everybody. On the other, it's nobody. People are continuously working on new technology.

"We start thinking about the next generation before we shipped the Xbox 360," Bach continued. "It doesn't start with a date. It starts way upstream with silicon development.

"From that comes a series of data points. You start making early technology choices. It's an evolving thing. Stuff doesn't become concrete until you get inside a window of when you have to ship, more than 18 months or so out."

If we see anything before 2010, we'll be very surprised.

Source: http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191038

Cool news :). Thanks for the article.

Yeah thanks. They're probably going to back blu-ray and improve online and community functionality more than anything this time.

The 360 was great but it did make some collosal mistakes (RROD, HD-DVD), I hope it makes them right with the new version when its released in 2010

The PS2 was a successful platform for an exceedingly long time. I doubt we'll see that level of success for that length of time again. On the other hand, I think every four years is way too much turnover. I want the next generation of consoles to be so much more technologically advanced that I feel like I have no choice but to get it. I just don't see that happening by 2009 or 2010. 2011 would be the very earliest that I could see that happening.

Great article. And you know... 2010 wouldn't be too far fetched either considering that Microsoft has been rumored to be releasing the next version of Windows in 2010.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing that we aren't about to see the end of cross platform games like Shadowrun anytime soon. If anything, it will gain more and more popularity. We all know how Microsoft likes to do things big. The possibilities are endless for what they have in store for the future...

Not even I see them releasing two very big products around the same time as a very good strategic marketing move for Microsoft. It will be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure.

Kismo, i expect more from you. the RROD thing is really grating. i'm on my third console and after the first croaked i also went through the moan and moan phase, but then got over it. i'm sure this new console won't last long either, but that's ok, love is love. so, note to all Sony sleeper agents on this forum: learn a new line. and no, "behold the power of the Cell!" does not count.

Edited by neoadorable

They better have every problem under control b4 they release this time. I am so surprised they haven't been able to fix the rrod problem yet, I mean with that is pretty ridiculous

Lol your surprised? I am on my third box with no problems hopefully *knocks on wood* And if you haven't heard yet Microsoft has released Service Pack 3 for XP and it was doomed from the beginning..AMD processors are not compatible with it plus it has opened more holes in other programs for intruders.

But hopefully they don't release a new console in the next two years....that would suck but I think the 360 has enough life in it to make it last almost as long as the PS2..but I don't think longer..or as long.

They better have every problem under control b4 they release this time. I am so surprised they haven't been able to fix the rrod problem yet, I mean wth that is pretty ridiculous

I think they'll have the major issues resolved this time around, but its wishful thinking to expect they'd have no bugs at first. I mean it would be a brand new product and early adopters would likely run into some issues at least. As long as it isn't anything major that can be fixed with a software update I'd give them a pass. But you're right, anything like the RRoD happening again would be unacceptable.

I cant wait for the new xbox and reading that article i was getting excited hearing about the new xbox, but hopefully they sort out the RROD, im only on my second console "touch wood" I have had no problems, it happened to my first one and I didnt even know what the red rings meant lol so I didnt send it to microsoft or anything like that so I just bought a new one, but hopefully microsoft will have this all ironed out with the new xbox.