PDA

View Full Version : N+ rant

Diaxen
06-17-2008, 01:47 AM
There's a reason there's not many games like this: most developers have at least some morals. I lost track of the times I asked myself "What were they thinking?", but I'll ask it again: What were they thinking?

The missiles in this game are unquestionably the most difficult video game enemy I have ever seen. They are completely unprecedented. They have perfect aim and vision, amazing turning ability, and even when the pixels of the missile hit the ground it often won't explode. I read an article where this game was supposedly tested thousands of times, but I cannot help but find that difficult to believe. None of the testers told the developers that the missiles are completely insane?

Then there's the blue mines which can shock you even when you don't touch a pixel of it. There's the bombs which are placed in spots deliberately to frustrate the player. There's the bizarre speed based deaths (I once wall jumped so quickly I died after hitting my head on the ceiling). There's the weird level geometry that makes jumping imprecise. And of course, there's the business about the game choosing to update your leaderboard time after finishing a level instead of saving it automatically. What were they thinking?

P.S. I understand that it's meant to be a challenge, but these elements seem to be meant to artificially inflate the time required and are just plain cheap. After finishing the last single player level I want to kick the developers asses.

RainofFireNZ
06-17-2008, 11:52 PM
I agree with you i mean they have basicly got a good fun game and thought i know we'll make it furstrating and impossible :(

Marx0r
06-18-2008, 08:22 PM
The whole saving thing's screwed up (I know, look for my thread in this forum :p) but the gameplay is perfect. I've never experienced any sort of weird stuff, things have always exploded when they're supposed to and I've never died from being close to something.

This game has been tested thousands of times, it's a port from a PC freeware that's been around for years. And the missiles aren't that hard, just lead them to the wall and jump off. The entire point of N is that it's frustrating. I've lost three keyboards and almost one controller to it, and I'm a laid-back gamer. But when you hear the sweet blip of this:

YouTube - N+ Final Door

It'll all be worth it.

pavementpoop
06-19-2008, 04:39 PM
yea its worth it its hard but makes you come back and try and try again, if it was to easy your think why they didnt make it harder, there are some real easy levels and the expert levels which are crazy hard but all good fun :D

DeadlyFishy
06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I struggle a lot and I still love the game.. my biggest thing is just that I run outta time usually

I've never had any of those weird explosions happen either, and these guys are right, it's supposed to be hard; you're a ninja after all..

mybadlegs1
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Personally ive nver had any problems and i love the difficulty of this game, having played some of the original 'N' on the internet i knew what i was getting into. It IS a difficult and frustrating game but it definetly makes getting that final 25GS well worth it. Then once you're finished...... try the expert challenges. GOOD PHUN! :beer:

Theres some guy on youtube who does a 'talkthrough' for certain levels, this guy gets VERY frustrated!

Royle
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree it's frustrating but it is better than a game which has 1-2 hours gameplay to it. This could have 10-20 hours gameplay. Your getting your moneys worth tbh.

TheManners
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
I think the missiles are fine.. I feel that I can dodge them almost always even on difficult terrain (although admittedly it took me a long time to do so). It's when they start zig-zagging and lagging out that really pisses me off, especially online.

I think the game is an absolute gem - I've spent more time on it then almost any other retail game I've had on the Xbox 360, and I am STILL making new levels and playing them with friends.

I am running out of my own original ideas, so I take the concept of an Expert level and make it more fun/harder/multiplayer,etc.

N+ is a 9.5/10 for me. The 0.5 being the small bugs and no ability to fileshare maps.

Dr. Killswitch
08-08-2008, 06:31 AM
I hate this goddam game... yet... I can't stop playing it!
This game was made by a sadist and all of us that play it are masochists.

FATTYCANTJUMP
11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I think i has the solution!

Get better at the game, duh. It's really not that hard. Just a few troubling levels here and there.

dangerbakili
11-30-2008, 02:06 PM
this game is amazing i love it :), its addicting 2 :)

MakoBallistic
01-13-2009, 03:36 AM
its just a case of keeping your momentum up and jumping at (exactly) the right time.

also one of the few arcade games that has decent music imo. despite the repetition...

UCB Disco
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
There's a reason there's not many games like this: most developers have at least some morals. I lost track of the times I asked myself "What were they thinking?", but I'll ask it again: What were they thinking?

The missiles in this game are unquestionably the most difficult video game enemy I have ever seen. They are completely unprecedented. They have perfect aim and vision, amazing turning ability, and even when the pixels of the missile hit the ground it often won't explode. I read an article where this game was supposedly tested thousands of times, but I cannot help but find that difficult to believe. None of the testers told the developers that the missiles are completely insane?

Then there's the blue mines which can shock you even when you don't touch a pixel of it. There's the bombs which are placed in spots deliberately to frustrate the player. There's the bizarre speed based deaths (I once wall jumped so quickly I died after hitting my head on the ceiling). There's the weird level geometry that makes jumping imprecise. And of course, there's the business about the game choosing to update your leaderboard time after finishing a level instead of saving it automatically. What were they thinking?

P.S. I understand that it's meant to be a challenge, but these elements seem to be meant to artificially inflate the time required and are just plain cheap. After finishing the last single player level I want to kick the developers asses.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this game. N+ brought back to life the simplicity and complexity of gaming, and not only that, the true challenge and feeling of accomplishment when finishing it.

The difficulty level of this is perfect! It was challenging but fun! I even downloaded all the map packs and have finished them too. I then went back to all the original levels to increase my time. When I first finished the first 50 levels, I was like in 4000th place. Now that I'm going through them all again, I am currently in 95th place.

It's definitely not impossible. It's just actually a challenge for gamers that enjoy some good difficulty in their gaming.

PS: This game is NOT for those who want an easy 200 gamerpoints.