PDA

View Full Version : ads

neoadorable
06-23-2008, 02:08 AM
seriously, never was against in-game advertising, it can add to the mood and worked Ok in the Rainbow Six titles, but in this one it's over the top. they're everywhere - even in the university parking lot? now, why would there be so many of the same freakin billboard in a university parking lot? that's ridiculous.

i bought this game - that should be enough for you Sierra people, us buying the game, don't be so damn greedy. which is why i'm boycotting Sierra for the rest of the year. that's right!

EDIT: what's really sad is that it's a pretty decent game, having a good time with it and the achieves are pleasant enough, too. and they could have been a bit more creative with the advertising, at least. as it stands i feel offended - hence the boycot.

dethklok
06-23-2008, 02:15 AM
seriously, never was against in-game advertising, it can add to the mood and worked Ok in the Rainbow Six titles, but in this one it's over the top. they're everywhere - even in the university parking lot? now, why would there be so many of the same freakin billboard in a university parking lot? that's ridiculous.

i bought this game - that should be enough for you Sierra people, us buying the game, don't be so damn greedy. which is why i'm boycotting Sierra for the rest of the year. that's right!

EDIT: what's really sad is that it's a pretty decent game, having a good time with it and the achieves are pleasant enough, too. and they could have been a bit more creative with the advertising, at least. as it stands i feel offended - hence the boycot.

whoa dude calm down. I honestly dont pay attention to the ads, I am more worried about the game then the ads. i dunno about you!

TooMuchCowbell
06-23-2008, 02:16 AM
I've honestly only seen one ad in the game. A visa billboard on the first level. Other than that, I focus more on the game.

dethklok
06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
I've honestly only seen one ad in the game. A visa billboard on the first level. Other than that, I focus more on the game. exactly!!!!!!!! thank you for proving my point. If your more worried about the ads then your not paying attention to the game and enjoying it to the fullest.

TooMuchCowbell
06-23-2008, 02:30 AM
^Lol, it's true. If you're going to let a couple of in game ads ruin the game for you, you're really missing out. And most of the levels barely have any. There's more ads on my Firefox homepage.

Btw, totally offtopic, was it hard to get 1000 on this game dethklok? I'm going for the full 1000 and have only played an hour or two.

neoadorable
06-23-2008, 11:53 PM
hmm thanks for the replies, but you didn't read my post. it didn't ruin the game, i specifically said it's pretty enjoyable. the principle of it is what bothers me - the fact they take us for idiots and implements ads in completely unrealistic ways. the university parking lot had three of them in close proximity, yet driving around Paris i didn't notice a single one. Does that make sense, or is someone being a complete nimrod?

ads done in a way that adds to the realism of the game are no problem - they can even help. i wish GTA IV had realistic ads rather than spoofs! i wish they had freakin Starbucks instead of Bean Machine.

granted, i observe details more than the average person. not wanting to be arrogant, but that's apparent - some of you think they're Visa posters when they're MasterCard. but still, this is just crass, and i'm letting Sierra know my opinion by not buying their stuff for the rest of the year.

dethklok
06-24-2008, 12:02 AM
hmm thanks for the replies, but you didn't read my post. it didn't ruin the game, i specifically said it's pretty enjoyable. the principle of it is what bothers me - the fact they take us for idiots and implements ads in completely unrealistic ways. the university parking lot had three of them in close proximity, yet driving around Paris i didn't notice a single one. Does that make sense, or is someone being a complete nimrod?

ads done in a way that adds to the realism of the game are no problem - they can even help. i wish GTA IV had realistic ads rather than spoofs! i wish they had freakin Starbucks instead of Bean Machine.

granted, i observe details more than the average person. not wanting to be arrogant, but that's apparent - some of you think they're Visa posters when they're MasterCard. but still, this is just crass, and i'm letting Sierra know my opinion by not buying their stuff for the rest of the year.

you think they care what you think lol. they could care less. as long as their making money. and honestly why would they care? if your getting this bend out of shape on the ads by going as far as not buying anymore Sierra games then obvoisly your letting this ruine your gaming expirace, who you trying to kid
^Lol, it's true. If you're going to let a couple of in game ads ruin the game for you, you're really missing out. And most of the levels barely have any. There's more ads on my Firefox homepage.Btw, totally offtopic, was it hard to get 1000 on this game dethklok? I'm going for the full 1000 and have only played an hour or two.its really easy

neoadorable
06-25-2008, 06:06 AM
not buying Sierra titles for the remainder of the year isn't too drastic, and certainly i'm not letting their ad placement ruin gaming for me - what ruins Bourne is that it's a mediocre game where the credits are almost as long as the campaign.

and you're the one getting all bent out of shape like you own the damn company. i'm expressing my opinion - is that a problem? as for them caring, of course they won't, i'm not their only customer and besides it's a company, no one there takes it personally. but i care and i want to express my feelings with my money.

btw glad my spending habits solicit such a strong response.

dethklok
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
not buying Sierra titles for the remainder of the year isn't too drastic, and certainly i'm not letting their ad placement ruin gaming for me - what ruins Bourne is that it's a mediocre game where the credits are almost as long as the campaign.

and you're the one getting all bent out of shape like you own the damn company. i'm expressing my opinion - is that a problem? as for them caring, of course they won't, i'm not their only customer and besides it's a company, no one there takes it personally. but i care and i want to express my feelings with my money.

btw glad my spending habits solicit such a strong response. i could care less what game you buy or dont buy for that matter. But saying that because of the ads you wont buy another serira game again and thats not letting you ruin your gaming expirance when in fact it is. Why would you let a few ads justify not buying a game. Why does it even bother you. I am very observant by nature (being a hockey goalie and did a 6 year stint in the army has taught be to be VERY observant) but i honestly dont pay attention to them. If your more worried about the ads in the game rather then playing the game then......... I'll let you finish that. But to go as far as not buying a game just because of a few in game ads, thats just obserd. Hey if you dont wont to buy a game because of a few ads then thats what you wanna do. To each their own. But dont you think thats going alittle overboard? I enjoyed the game very much. And to be honest I only noticed like 3 ads, maybe 4. And whats the difference from this game and Rainbow 6 vegas? That game had a shit load of ads! You mentioned that game earlier. I want to know the difference because you said you liked that game and here you are stating your game about how in game ads ruin the game. Your starting to sound like a hypocrite if you ask me. Make up your mind. It does or doesnt bother you. You cant just justify it because you like one game and not the other. Either your for or against it. You cant like one game with in game ads and saying for another you refuse to buy a seira game because if it. Your preaching to the wrong choir my friend.

neoadorable
06-25-2008, 11:06 PM
RSV had ads that looked in-context and made sense to me, Bourne had ads that didn't make the slightest sense, where they had cause to place ads, they didn't, where it made no sense, they put them. do you remember the parking lot vs. the Paris drive? this is why i've decided to avoid Sierra for the rest of the year - i want to express my displeasure with their conduct.

obviously you disagree...quite vehemently. i know this is the internet and am taking your input within that context, but seriously man, were you like raging when you typed it? don't get so worked up over what i buy or not.

yes, i think Bourne was an insult - i like the movies and the story (watched one with my mom so there's sentimental value there too...) and had hopes for the game. instead, it's not only a very short title, it's also one that has ugly product placement. so i'm doing what any buyer does when they're displeased - take their money elsewhere. so unless you're the CEO, i fail to identify any reason why this would bother you.

dethklok
06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
RSV had ads that looked in-context and made sense to me, Bourne had ads that didn't make the slightest sense, where they had cause to place ads, they didn't, where it made no sense, they put them. do you remember the parking lot vs. the Paris drive? this is why i've decided to avoid Sierra for the rest of the year - i want to express my displeasure with their conduct.

obviously you disagree...quite vehemently. i know this is the internet and am taking your input within that context, but seriously man, were you like raging when you typed it? don't get so worked up over what i buy or not.

yes, i think Bourne was an insult - i like the movies and the story (watched one with my mom so there's sentimental value there too...) and had hopes for the game. instead, it's not only a very short title, it's also one that has ugly product placement. so i'm doing what any buyer does when they're displeased - take their money elsewhere. so unless you're the CEO, i fail to identify any reason why this would bother you. acutally i am the ceo LAMO i still say your a hypocrite. You cant like one game that has ads and not like another. regardless of the content of the ads, the game, movies, ect ect. Whatever you say after this post will fall on deaf ears because i am done with this thread. Its a shame how your letting 3 ads determine your view on this game. I am sure you'll reply to this. You can reply all you want or tell me whatever you want till your blue in the face but i wont even see it. :uzi:

neoadorable
06-27-2008, 12:40 AM
well Mr CEO, you guys don't even publish the real FEAR games no more, so why should i worry about missing on any action? plenty of gaming goodness out there to enjoy even w/o Sierra. or Eidos. but i'm boycotting them over the Jeff G incident lol. yeah i'm an idiot.

back on topic, sorry to hear you think i'm a hypocrite, but i'm not - i explained that i'm not against ads in games if they're well placed and implemented, but you choose to ignore that and see what you want to see. what does that tell you?

and since i'm sure you'll be reading this, i'm sticking to my guns :AR15

TooMuchCowbell
06-27-2008, 01:37 AM
well Mr CEO, you guys don't even publish the real FEAR games no more, so why should i worry about missing on any action? plenty of gaming goodness out there to enjoy even w/o Sierra. or Eidos. but i'm boycotting them over the Jeff G incident lol. yeah i'm an idiot.

back on topic, sorry to hear you think i'm a hypocrite, but i'm not - i explained that i'm not against ads in games if they're well placed and implemented, but you choose to ignore that and see what you want to see. what does that tell you?

and since i'm sure you'll be reading this, i'm sticking to my guns :AR15
Seeing as you continued through the game till the end and beat it on Agent difficulty, it doesn't seem like it was such a successful boycott, now was it?

X Dboi X
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I've only noticed one MasterCard advert.

I think your looking for them o.O

neoadorable
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
cowbell, already paid for this one, and aces of the galaxy come to think of it, not playing them would be pointless. but they're the last ones i'll play from Sierra for the rest of the year.

dboi, that could actually be a good tactic, tell em you don't even notice the ads. but like i said earlier, i like in game advertising when it's appropriate. and there's a lot more than one, they're in your face at the university parking lot, for example. don't know how far into the game you are, but you'll see, it's a short one.

Dude Rain
06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
[derp, double post. i'm drunk and computers are hard]

Dude Rain
06-29-2008, 11:20 PM
There were 3 sponsors to this game, each with their own version of in game advertising.

Can you name them and how they were advertised?

Compared to many other games out there right now, I'd say that Sierra was incredibly discreet about their in-game advertising.

CyanideBreathMint
06-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Wow! This thread reminds me another one I posted in not too long ago. Relax, not stalkin' ya neo, honest. ;) Just bought this game today and honestly haven't noticed any in-game ads whatsoever.

How about ya lay off the OP there dethklok? Seems you're getting more upset about the OP not liking the influx of ads than the OP is himself? I can completely understand where he's coming from too. Once you notice something in a game that repeats itself over and over again, it can be hard to stop noticing and can ruin the fun of the game...whoops, games...fun? LOL. We won't go there, will we.

Anywho, after reading this topic, I'll probably OCD out on it and start noticing all these supposed ads. Damn you neo, damn you to hell. ;)

neoadorable
07-02-2008, 03:54 AM
already damned to hell bro, it's called sharing the world with you gremlins! mugagagagaga. ga. but thanks for the backup cyanide, no worries on the stalking, and told dethklok he seems more concerned about my opinion than the subject at hand.

that's an interesting fact dude rain, i only noticed the credit card ones. and they were over the top.

cyanide, keep me posted on what you think if you've just started playing, i'd like to hear what you thought.

the reason i'm not liking this is because you know it'll mushroom out of control and before you know it we'll be like TV: twenty minutes of ad for every forty of content. i'd like gaming to be like cable/hollywood, where for the most part product placement is subtle. i'm sure few minded seeing stacks of 360's in that Dane Cook movie, Employee of the Month (took place in a Sam's Club type place), or the fact that all the cars in Matrix Reloaded were GM's. those were pretty in-world. this game is the opposite. the ads are a clumsy eye sore.

Crimson Ridley
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I noticed quite a few ads too, and they really do stick out like a sore thumb. To be honest, I hate in-game advertising, especially what Vegas did and advertised Far Cry 2 over and over and over again. What's worse is that some games advertise the game your playing! Advertisng should be left to TV and Cinemas, keep the crap away from my games. I don't care about MasterCard, I care about putting bullets in the dude behind the MasterCard sign's head.

CyanideBreathMint
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
cyanide, keep me posted on what you think if you've just started playing, i'd like to hear what you thought.
Well I've finished the game and am going through it again (and again in some cases) on Assassin. I was struggling to think of any adverts in the game and the only one I could think of was a Paypass sign with a Mastercard emblem on it.

The only reason I saw that one was because I was following the achievement guide for a passport I needed to collect in the very first level. Other than that one, I can't recall seeing anything...sorry.

neoadorable
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks jimmy for the affirmation.

cyanide, you need to have your eyes checked. the paypass ones are in at least six different locations, they all look the same, the locations are mostly odd etc etc. this is what set me off - not simply the product placement, but the lack of care in how they placed them.

maybe you're lucky, you don't notice these things...life is a lot easier if you can filter the annoyances out.