PDA

View Full Version : Win with only one city - Converted City?

tarekegypt
06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I am trying to get Power Never Takes a Back Step
Win with only one city on at least King difficulty.

If i got a chance to convert a city from another Civilization would that still count As one city win?

EDIT: After some research - Converted Cities don't Count so YES you can convert cities or Brabrian Villages

Mustkill9
06-30-2008, 04:13 PM
You probably already started, but a great way to do this is:

Be the Mongols, and do the "it's money that matters" scenerio. You start with 1000 gold. Then immediately buy 4 warriors and 3 boats. (It should only take 7 turns) Put 1 warrior on each boat, and let the other warrior just explore. You will have at least 7 cities before you know it from barbarian villages, and you'll find at least 1 artifact.

Then I would recommend focusing on population growth and science. Make sure you build a few temples too to keep culture up, if you do everything else I just said.

Hamster
06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks I'm going to try that later.

tarekegypt
06-30-2008, 10:05 PM

Be the Mongols, and do the "it's money that matters" scenerio. You start with 1000 gold. Then immediately buy 4 warriors and 3 boats. (It should only take 7 turns) Put 1 warrior on each boat, and let the other warrior just explore. You will have at least 7 cities before you know it from barbarian villages, and you'll find at least 1 artifact.

Then I would recommend focusing on population growth and science. Make sure you build a few temples too to keep culture up, if you do everything else I just said.

What kind of win? culture?

Mustkill9
06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
What kind of win? culture?

If you do what I described, you should be able to win by any of the 4 ways. If you're playing my strategy properly, by about 1200-1300 AD you should have a huge lead.

Also change your government to democracy as soon as possible- because you want to get the gold and science production going. Well that's my opinion.

tarekegypt
07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
If you do what I described, you should be able to win by any of the 4 ways. If you're playing my strategy properly, by about 1200-1300 AD you should have a huge lead.

Also change your government to democracy as soon as possible- because you want to get the gold and science production going. Well that's my opinion.

Great Advice! Thank You Just got the Achievement. I did not change the Gov because you want the Absolute Power is Kind of Neat

pts100
07-02-2008, 07:54 PM

Hi mate, in ref to the above advice.

It does not seem to work for me.I have tried a few times now and no joy,can you see if iam doing anything wrong??

I start as you advise
Get a few barbarians ( I attack them )
I dont settle any cities
I take over a few cities with culture
I dont use my great people to take over cities
Win on Tech everytime

Seems good to me but no achievement
Can anyone else confirm that this has worked for them??

Any advice welcome

cheers PTS100

Mustkill9
07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi mate, in ref to the above advice.

It does not seem to work for me.I have tried a few times now and no joy,can you see if iam doing anything wrong??

I start as you advise
Get a few barbarians ( I attack them )
I dont settle any cities
I take over a few cities with culture
I dont use my great people to take over cities
Win on Tech everytime

Seems good to me but no achievement
Can anyone else confirm that this has worked for them??

Any advice welcome

cheers PTS100

After further review, you might be right. If so, I feel like crap. I have read most of the forum for this game, and 2 people said to do it with the Mongols. And not one person has corrected them or mentioned any other ways to do it. And there are people with 1000 points in the game posting in these threads- and not correcting them. (I actually just used search to find all info on this achievement and all I found I copied and pasted below.

I didn't get it when I did it, but I assumed it was because I won by military victory- and I haven't gotten around to winning it another way yet.

Written by JohnnyRock84 in "Achievement Guide" thread
Play as the Mongols.

You get a city for each of the barbarian tribes you defeat BUT as you didn't 'settle' them it doesn't affect the achievement.

Hell, I even did "Absolute Power..." at the same time.
Written by Koburn in "3 Quick Questions" thread
(a thread that I started myself, partially so I could ask how to get the "win with 1 city achievement"

The 1 city win only means that you cant found a new city with settlers. You can take over enemy cities and culture flip and still get the achievement. I recommend doing this achievement with Genghis Khan as one of his bonuses is to make new cities out of barbarian villages.

the_b1ues
07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
For Christ sake i went through a game of king not building a single settler and i didnt get the achievment. Anyone no why.All i did was convert a town which the guy at the top said he had done

eXtreme 1138
07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I got this on the blitzkrieg scenario on Diety Difficulty as Germans. You begin with 3 cities (despite that fact i got the 1 city achievment). I did not capture/convert/create any more cities. This is the only method I can confirm as I did it without trying for that particualr achievement.

RaptorKraine
07-10-2008, 01:23 AM
I got this achievement by accident, if you have an awesome culture or army you can take over any city you like. Just don't use a settler to make a city of your civilization :D

Nibbles
07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I got the achievement playing on whatever the first scenario is as the Americans and had about 20 city's at the end. Capturing or converting doesn't seem to affect it, at least not in that scenario anyway.

Chuckman
07-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Yesterday i played the Blitzkreig scenario where you start with 3 cities at the beginning. At the end i had somewhere around 15 cities (but didnt actually build any, they were all captured) and still got the single city on King or higher achievement.