PDA

View Full Version : RB 2: Hands on + 10 songs

soccerplaya13cj
07-08-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/rockband2/news.html?sid=6193439&part=rss&tag=gs_previews&subj=6193439

Man, this game sounds better each and every day.

ThunderStorm101
07-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Cheers for the link

looks really good, kinda dispointed the that the drums will be more or less the same :(

Dex
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Online BWT! That's all I needed to hear for me to smile :)

workbench
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
awesomeness. i like some of teh new features.

aswipe21
07-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Man Harmonix continues to make me happy while Activision is staying the same. Rock Band 2 is goin to be sweet!!!!!:woop:

eli1277
07-09-2008, 02:18 AM
This is going to suck. They are taking away the solo tour and making this whole game basically online. I hate playing RB online. This game is a no buy from me.

soccerplaya13cj
07-09-2008, 03:07 AM
This is going to suck. They are taking away the solo tour and making this whole game basically online. I hate playing RB online. This game is a no buy from me.
you don't read much do you? Almost every single feature can be played from 1-4 people.

eli1277
07-09-2008, 03:41 AM
you don't read much do you? Almost every single feature can be played from 1-4 people.

yeah I read. Almost all game modes are aimed to be played online. I don't care if I am playing by myself, I don't want to play the game online.

Lucent Beam
07-09-2008, 03:55 AM

Yeah, wtf, no Solo Tour? That's really really retarded. What in the crap are they thinking? I really hope this "Tour Challenge" isn't ridiculously stupid. Why couldn't they have left in Solo Tour. Ugh.

BWT online doesn't really even make up for that atrocity.

antnie
07-09-2008, 04:00 AM
It is going to be a tough choice between Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 4. I think I am going to get both.:)

TwistedFate
07-09-2008, 04:45 AM
yeah I read. Almost all game modes are aimed to be played online. I don't care if I am playing by myself, I don't want to play the game online.

Wrong, all game modes are designed so they CAN BE played online. That's totally different than designed to be played online. But if you really don't want to play solo online, unplug the bloody network cable. How hard is that?

Yeah, wtf, no Solo Tour? That's really really retarded. What in the crap are they thinking? I really hope this "Tour Challenge" isn't ridiculously stupid. Why couldn't they have left in Solo Tour. Ugh.

BWT online doesn't really even make up for that atrocity.

Seeing that we don't know much more than a few sentences about it, I think it's a little early to be calling it an atrocity. It sounds a whole lot better than a sequential progression of increasingly difficult songs to me.

RockstarSuicide
07-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Yay more achievements to rely on others for...

xCOBRAx
07-09-2008, 06:21 AM
the way i read it is that there is going to be a solo tour however they are changing then name to Tour Challenge and they have created a non-linear progression system that basically means that you wont have to do exactly the same thing for each instrument.

Dex
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
the way i read it is that there is going to be a solo tour however they are changing then name to Tour Challenge and they have created a non-linear progression system that basically means that you wont have to do exactly the same thing for each instrument.
I agree 101%. This is a huge improvement over RB1's solo tour. Non-linear, and includes your DLC.

I don't understand why some people are pissed. Sure, they are focusing more on online play (lacking from RB1), but that doesn't mean you can't play solo, or local multiplayer.

It makes more sense that if you play a solo drum tour, you get drum-centric songs. And if you play the vocal tour, you get songs that are more difficult and challenging for vocals. And if you play a full band (aka Band World Tour, which is now online), you can play ANY SONG YOU WANT. This is exactly what I wanted Rock Band to be in the first place :woop:

Matrarch
07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree with Twisted. We know so little about the game and the rumorang is certainly in full swing, so let's try to hold all "OMG that totally suxxorz" until we know more. :)

Further, I agree with Cobra and Dex. It sounds good to me in theory, but then again, we'll know more next week!

So until then, here's some stuff from the rockband.com forums Q&A with developers:

Q: "Will there be any improvements on vocals? Will there still be talky parts, and, if so, will they be fixed or easier to hit than they were in RB1?" - Lady Sia..
A: Yes, on multiple fronts. We've improved the balance for pitched vocals, and completely rewritten the non-pitched talky detection. Rock Band 2 has drastically more reliable talky parts.
---
Q: "Well, I'm going to go on record that this "limited time XBOX360 exclusivity" is total bull crap. Who does this benifit?" - killerew..
A: This benefits both gamers and Harmonix. Microsoft have been awesome in supporting us and have actually helped out on some of these things by visiting us and working hand-in-hand on new platform features. They've been a great partner on everything from development to marketing, and some of the features in the game would not have been possible without them.
As well as this, the other platforms are coming out really soon after the Xbox 360 launch. Trust me, if you're an other platform owner, you'll be surprised at how little you have to wait.
---
Q: "I was wondering if you could create a code or a option to shut off the vocal pitch meter? Singing the song and making it "your own" would be a great idea and make an interesting addition to the game!!" - jd506
A: I can't talk about specific features until E3, but I think you'll be very happy with one of the new features in RB2 :)

Some interesting notes about XBox exclusivity and vocals, enh? :)

sharonoagain
07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
*ears perk up*

Vocal improvements?? Heh, I actually had to train myself to sing without any vibrato at all and would love if the game forgave little warbles here and there ... or actually gave you points at the end for freestyling in the big endings!! :woop:

CJK41
07-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I am so pumped for this games. The challenges looks like a good idea. Can't wait till september.

xCOBRAx
07-09-2008, 07:53 PM
i like the last part of what matrarch copied. the part about how he cant talk about it because that probably means they are gonna have something like that. Would be really nice for friends who want to try singing but cant even do easy haha

sharonoagain
07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree with Twisted. We know so little about the game and the rumorang is certainly in full swing, so let's try to hold all "OMG that totally suxxorz" until we know more. :) ... <snip>

Oh, and OMG, I love rumorang! It so totally needs to be a word!! ;)

Dex
07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Oh, and OMG, I love rumorang! It so totally needs to be a word!! ;)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rumorang

A rumorang indicates a rumor (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rumor) that returns and spreads, often more than once, despite having been dismissed before. Much like a boomerang (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boomerang), the rumorang comes back after it has been refuted and tossed away.

sharonoagain
07-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Heh, ok, it's in the UD but I'm hoping for assimilation into everyday usage rather than internet vernacular. Kind of like blog.

Dex
07-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Heres another similar article, with lots of quotes DIRECTLY from Harmonix, which makes this news about 99.9% official.

http://kotaku.com/5022939/rock-band-2-features-drum-trainer-wireless-instruments-full-backwards-compatibility

The new and improved drums and guitar peripherals will be compatible with the original Rock Band and original instruments will work with Rock Band 2. The new guitar will have a sturdier strum bar, quieter buttons and be wireless. The new drum kit will include a metal reinforced pedal, quieter pads, velocity sensors and... be wireless.

We weren't allowed to play with the new instruments when the game was showed off to press last month, but I did manage to grope the drum kit for a few seconds when no one was looking. The pedal looked like it would stand up to more abuse and the drums themselves had a thicker rubber like feel to them. I'm certain they would be much quieter. The guitar, well the guitar looks just kick ass.

Metal reinforced pedal for the drums? Rock on!

And heres some more info on the game modes:

Game Modes
Quickplay
Now easier than ever to get in and jam without hassle.
- New prefab characters
- Your customized characters can now play on any instrument
- Make your own set lists
- Organize song lists by a variety of categories (alphabetical, genre, era, etc.)

World Tour
Solo Tour and Band World Tour join forces to create the ultimate band touring experience!
- World Tour is now online
- No more band leaders! If you need to fire your guitarist but keep the band going, fire away!
- Switch up instruments throughout world tour
- All new collection of opportunity gigs, challenges, cities, venues, and hirable staff

Tour Challenges
Take your band on tour in a whole new way with specific music challenges.
- Focused mini-campaigns featuring the best songs by instrument, decade, genre or artist
- Automatically generated DLC challenges
- Album specific challenges

Battle of the Bands
Put your band to the ultimate test by competing against other bands, both on your friends list and around the world!
- Dynamic content with regular new contests designed by Harmonix
- Matches up your score against overall competition and friendsí bands - with REAL TIME feedback
- Get updates on new battles from your Band Profile, as well as notifications when your score has been topped!

Sweet!

soccerplaya13cj
07-10-2008, 03:58 AM
IGN has one also, if anyone wants to post it

Matrarch
07-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Sweet!

My reaction exactly. E3 needs to hurry up so we can get some confirmation!

MistersalJack
07-10-2008, 04:05 AM
this game is sounding out to b very sweet...this game has great depth with the variation of songs, modes, and online gameplay. the decision of whether to get Guitar Hero WT or Rock Band 2 is turning out to be very difficult.

Dla911
07-10-2008, 11:25 AM
here we go,

World Tour
Solo Tour and Band World Tour join forces to create the ultimate band touring experience!
- World Tour is now online
- No more band leaders! If you need to fire your guitarist but keep the band going, fire away!
- Switch up instruments throughout world tour
- All new collection of opportunity gigs, challenges, cities, venues, and hirable staff

Battle of the Bands
Put your band to the ultimate test by competing against other bands, both on your friends list and around the world!
- Dynamic content with regular new contests designed by Harmonix
- Matches up your score against overall competition and friendsí bands - with REAL TIME feedback
- Get updates on new battles from your Band Profile, as well as notifications when your score has been topped!

This right here is what should be in RB1, but its all good RB2 will be good because just this is in it,

Now hmm no jamming with a band, now that is where GHWT is going to take off with.

ElmoTrooperX
07-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Cheers for the link

looks really good, kinda dispointed the that the drums will be more or less the same :(

With so many people complaining about buying new drum sets
You can understand its kind of good.

RHCP IS THE BEST

xCOBRAx
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
With so many people complaining about buying new drum sets
You can understand its kind of good.

RHCP IS THE BEST

im not sure what the point is but im pretty dissapointed at the RHCP song they picked for the game. with the recent relese of snow (hey oh) and tell me baby i was hoping to see something off californication (arguably the best cd) or by the way. there are so many songs better than what they picked it makes me sad as a RHCP fanboy.

while i know its not going to happen i would fuckin love to see rock band add some more songs with strong vocals. john mayer? i nearly peed my pants when i read that, too bad its not true. i want them to give us some good songs to exhaust our windpipes

sharonoagain
07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree ... I want challenging vocals, too. Not Screamo, TYVM, but real singing. I don't even mind talkie parts but give me something that makes me sing more than 3 note progressions over and over again through the entire song (yes, I'm looking at you, Ozzy!) and doesn't lull me into taking long naps during the guitar solos. Give me some Pearl Jam, Incubus, Chris Cornell, SOAD, Evanescence, early No Doubt, more Foo ... I wanna have fun! :woop:

I agree about RHCP, too ... Tell me Baby was fun but Snow was too easy.

arCtiK AsSaSsIn
07-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Well I'm just buying the game of course and the new drums because my set works better when i set in on fire and use hammers as drum sticks.
Definently looking forward to this but I am looking forward to GH:WT even more. Not looking forward to wireless drums I already use butt loads of batteries ughhh.

Also on the solo challenge, maybe it will start with basic songs and depending on how good you do, the songs will get increasingly difficult and if you do ok-mediocre then it gets lower or stays the same. That would be cool.