PDA

View Full Version : Konami sues Harmonix/Viacom over Rock Band

Dex
07-11-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aHQODoKwFYrA&refer=japan

Lets see...
Konami announces a guitar/drum music game called Rock Revolution, a year after Rock Band comes out, and is set to compete with Rock Band 2, as well as Guitar Hero: World Tour.

And now they are trying to sue Viacom... over a game that has been out for 8 months? I guess they just found out about the game recently...

I think calling them "late to the party" is an understatement.

TwistedFate
07-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Eh, it's not about when the product hits the market, it's when the patent is filed.

Matrarch
07-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Ugh, really? I could see this suit after Guitar Hero hit, especially in light of Guitar Freaks, but Konami didn't even acquire the name "Guitar Revolution" (which would be the American title I assume) till quite some time later.

Making this sorta move as they prepare to make their own version product is... frustrating. If they do somehow win this suit and block production of Rock Band, I'd probably boycott Konami products outright, not just their Rock Band copy. >_<

Though history seems to prove that suits like this have little impact on what's available to us in the end... but still.

Female Ninja
07-11-2008, 02:08 AM
The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003...

Yay For Japan! Go Konami! Sorry...

It doesn't matter when the game comes out, It matters about the Patents....

TwistedFate
07-11-2008, 02:09 AM
It's all about money. Konami doesn't want to stop RB. They see Rock Band as a cash cow and want to get some of the action since they couldn't get a decent instrument game out of Japan and into our hands. Nothing came of the Gibson suit, and nothing will come of this.

They had Guitar Freaks first, didn't take it out of Japan and GH came along and stole the hearts of the other regions. Same thing happened with Drum Mania. They dropped the ball and NOW that they see there mistake want to try and get some of the action.

Matrarch
07-11-2008, 02:21 AM
They had Guitar Freaks first, didn't take it out of Japan and GH came along and stole the hearts of the other regions. Same thing happened with Drum Mania. They dropped the ball and NOW that they see there mistake want to try and get some of the action.

That's exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't quite articulate, Twisted. Nothing will come out of it, but it's irritating that they're doing this anyways.

Lucent Beam
07-11-2008, 05:35 AM
If they didn't sue over Guitar Hero, I fail to see how now are trying to sue over Rock Band.... I wonder which specific part they are pissed about.

xCOBRAx
07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
ill pretty much sum up what everyone said in a more dickhead way. Konami is wasting their time and and two dollar lawyer could solve this case. Activision didnt make any money when they sued over the gibson, konami will waste money here and we will all move on aboot our lives :) see u 2morrow ha

ILoveAztecChick
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
If they didn't sue over Guitar Hero, I fail to see how now are trying to sue over Rock Band.... I wonder which specific part they are pissed about.

I think Activision is paying licensing fees. At the beginning of GH3 a bunch of patents are referenced. Maybe some of those are Konami's.

OldWIKI TIK
07-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Here is the response to the suit from Harmonix. I got this from N4G.com.

Harmonix has released an official response to the lawsuit brought against the company by rival music-game maker Konami. "Konami's actions are extremely surprising. Unfortunately, successful products such as Rock Band can often become targets for baseless litigation," said a company spokesperson today.
"We have substantial defenses to this claim and intend to vigorously defend it."
Oh, it's on now.

xCOBRAx
07-13-2008, 09:20 AM
something about a two dollar lawyer yeah what?