View Full Version : Tactics for use against archer army in cities.

07-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Does anyone have any tips to counter the AI's infamous "instant archer army in every city"? Warriors and Legion won't even close the distance, and get murdered. Horses win maybe 20% of the time, and other archer units aren't even worth trying. Every AI enemy stacks tons of archers in every city. Is there really no way to deal with them until cannons (even a catapult army will usually get annihilated)? Sometimes I'd like to rush and take a capitol city with my warrior army, but they've ALWAYS got 9 archers just sitting there waiting.

Anyone have a good method?

07-12-2008, 09:57 PM
havent found a good tactic yet
just rushing them with a ton of troops till they get taken out

07-13-2008, 05:26 AM
Combine three similar units into armies and rush them with a bunch of armies.

07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Combine three similar units into armies and rush them with a bunch of armies.

Doesn't work unless you have literally 8 spare armies.

Hentai Otaku
07-13-2008, 02:09 PM
archers are kinda imbasauce since you get them before you can even build legions which are no match for them and by the time you get catapults they'll have pike men(especially bad if your going up the Greeks since pike men are their special unit)it seems like the best thing to do is just buckle down your own defenses and wait until you get higher tech and better units, and more production to build those massive armies of troops to sacrifice for a city.

There's always sending in a spy to destory fortifications(which for some reason just lowers the bonus to 50% from 100% which is weak) honestly i think city defenses are a made a lil over powered in this to compensate for the fact that the maps are so small and only a small handful of cities get built

L0rd Tuck3r
07-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Two words: Nuke 'em.

eXtreme 1138
07-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Catapult armies have always worked fine for me, even on deity. The first one usually loses but the second one will get through. make sure you have barracks in whatever cities you are building them in.

07-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Catapult armies have always worked fine for me, even on deity. The first one usually loses but the second one will get through. make sure you have barracks in whatever cities you are building them in.

The only problem with this is the AI will have a full archer army in their city within 10-15 turns (which is slightly less than would be possible for a human), and you can't get full catapult armies for way longer than that. It just seems imbalanced. Generally there is a weakness to every unit, archers don't seem to have one. No rock to their scissors so to speak.

eXtreme 1138
07-13-2008, 05:27 PM
I undestand what you mean, I never really thought of this as a problem before though as I always waited till I had more advanced tech before going on a large conquest. Good point though.

07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I found the best way is to make get horsemen asap, then fight barbarians with an army made of three horsemen units. Hopefully you will get the Infiltration upgrade giving you +50% for City Attack which is nearly always enough to take down an archer army. If not, as stated elsewhere, send in a Spy to take down defences. On the subject of catapults always make sure they have an archer unit assigned to defend them.

07-13-2008, 10:47 PM
i always get archers with knights

07-14-2008, 01:46 AM
I haven't really had a problem with them. Make sure your armies that attack them (like catapults) are veterans and preferably with a special power like city attack and they will cut right through them. Getting a special power isn't that hard either through barbarians or destroying forces send out to conquer your cities.

07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Terrain is also important, whenever possible make sure to attack from a hill to get the +attack bonus.

07-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Yeah that is pretty annoying but you know whats worse? Having Modern Infantry take out your bomber wing. How the **** does that even happen? I can get an Infantry army to 156 defense and it can never be defeated how is that?

Le Smash
07-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Can't really maneuver around archers until you have knights.

Catapults should work but they are too slow for me and their defense isn't worth it. Get some knights and rush to research steam power, get the cruiser, and use it as naval support. You'll beat archers easily. If you do it right it won't take that long either.

07-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Brute-forcing your way through the start of a game (assuming you're playing on King or higher) takes a lot of luck, and more often than not you're just throwing away resources trying to kill cities you don't have a chance of winning.

You're far better off putting your resources into whoring up as much landmass as possible by making cities and cutting off choke points with archers of your own. My four deity wins were all made possible by early-game suffocation of one or more enemy civilizations. (Did my deity games in the basic single player mode.)

Luck plays a big part in how well you're going to do, based on the kind of land you get and how exposed you are. I've played a few games where I've defended my entire civilization with a single defensive army sitting on a hill at a choke point and the AI continually tried to break through rather than take a boat around it. =p

08-01-2008, 01:22 AM
i like harosama tatic. ie nuke the savages

08-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Send In Ur Weekest Army Maybe A Legion Or The Horsemen .. Weeken Them And Then Come At Them With Ur Middle Class Like Ur catapults Or Knights ,, I Noo They Do My Head In Aswell

08-18-2008, 08:06 AM
use 2 spies before rushing in. or two spy rings if the defending city has spies defending. this has always worked for me. keeping a spy moving with your army is always a good idea.

and i attack starting with the strongest units first. that way your weak ones have some chance. the other way, your weak units will be sacrificed without doing any damage to an entrenched archer army. (that would have been a good unit for the japanese, the kamikaze fight jet. you could ditch the plane into a city or encampment to damage all defending troops, but only veteran jets could use this ability.)

Seraph Metatron
08-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Knights are easy to get early, even on Deity.

08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Arab Horsemen are the most powerful at the beginning era so if they dont work you are fooked. Don't keep attacking though 'cause you are only making them stronger.

04-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Some very good tactical advice here, thank you all for these. I'll have to give it another try on deity when I get home.

Just one thing, is it just me or will you more often than not loose a fight on deity even if you have the advantage? I seem to be loosing even if I have an attack of 18 and the enemy has 9 in defense. I'm really tearing off my hair over this one. Have tried several games on deity and always seem to get beaten to a pulp.
Not to mention that every other civ seems to go against me. Even if another civ is close to victory, they just don't seem to care about each other. But should I get close to victory then tey all gang up on me and declare war. :(

It might be just me being very poor at this, but it all seems so unfair :'(

04-30-2009, 10:28 AM

I read about this tactic somewhere else and have not had to use it:
Be friendly to your neighbours. Then use diplomacy to sell them technology. Selling tech will ensure they don't have money left to rush armies. So, hopefully they only have one archer/warrior.

Needless to say you should combine this with the other advise:
- attack from hills (attacking from woods also gives an advantage?).
- attack with one weak unit first (the first attacker only is penalized for breaking the peace?).
- use a ring of spies.
- after the initial attack use your strongest armies first. (feeding weak units will give upgrades to the enemy like home defense)
- form strong armies, preferably with city infiltration.
- hasn't been mentioned yet; reload the game if the battle is unlucky.

How to make strong armies (warrior example):
1. attack barbarians with a warrior to gain veteran status.
2. form an army from the veteran warrior and two normal warriors.
3. reload the game if your army/warrior doesn't get the desired upgrade.

Best Regards,

ps. Did you notice the red pattern? Save before any important move.

04-30-2009, 10:58 AM
- use a ring of spies.

Have seen this mentioned a couple of times, what does it mean?

Also, if you reload after a battle went bad you need to do some other move with this unit, or do a different battle/attack with a different unit for the outcome to change. If not you will just get the same bad outcome as previous attempt.

04-30-2009, 07:31 PM

A ring of spies is what you get when you merge three spies.
Similar to an army you get when you merge three warriors.

When you reload your game you have the option of doing things different.
Use more spies, attack from a different location.

Why do you think the battle will have the same result every time. I have lost battles of warriors vs barbarians with 2:1. Doing those again will normally result in a win.

Best Regards,