PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it ..

Shiney T
07-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Right, here is my problem.

I have played rockband, and yes, I did enjoy it.

And as a result have now been considering getting it but my problem is this, and I am looking for a genuine, unbiased opinion on these, so I realise this ... may not be the best place to ask but -

Is it really worth the 140 (which is the cheapest I can find - Costco for those that want to know). I have no interest in playing actual instruments at all, but I do love music..

Is the the game really worth 3x the cost of another game, with another 20 added on, and then the cost of the DLC songs? Would it last 3x as long as other games?

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

Randomnutta
07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
the thing you have to take into consideration is how many hours will you play this game.. you could buy 3 other games but their game time might not out last RB.. it all depends how much you will play RB.. i bought GH3 and iv played that for over 60 hours so i got my monies worth and i still play it

Mike255
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Just wait for 2. Maybe they will be more reasonable with the prices.

Shiney T
07-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I would expect the price to go up for the new instruments, or certainly not go down .. Another reason I suppose to get it now if anything :\

TwistedFate
07-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Just wait for 2. Maybe they will be more reasonable with the prices.

He's in the UK, who knows when 2 is coming out for them. Hopefully it won't be as long as RB1, but still...

APX
07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I've played it, but I don't own it, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it very very much, it makes the fun that you had in Guitar Hero and makes it 1000X more fun. The only problem with it, well from what my friends/people online have complained about was how some instruments break, but you can get them replaced, I think in europe. >.>

But the DLC makes it the main reason why people keep playing it, they bring great music into the game and just makes you wait for the next week they release the next tracks. :D

Shiney T
07-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I've played it, but I don't own it, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it very very much, it makes the fun that you had in Guitar Hero and makes it 1000X more fun. The only problem with it, well from what my friends/people online have complained about was how some instruments break, but you can get them replaced, I think in europe. >.>

But the DLC makes it the main reason why people keep playing it, they bring great music into the game and just makes you wait for the next week they release the next tracks. :D

Interesting, how common is this, and can they be replaced on store warranty or will it be a send away and wait thing?

Just want to get as much info I can before I go and throw 140 onto this game.

sharonoagain
07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
OK, as someone that has NO disposable income (single mom of 2 teens and a teacher to boot!), I have to say this was an excellent investment. We began playing on Twisted's 360 and we had so much fun, I was sold. Not only can I play by myself (and I've had 4 totally different career experiences, 3 solo and one dual-wield) but so can both of my kids. We can also play with together in different configurations in BWT OR we can play in Band quickplay with any of their friends that come over.

Imagine the time we could put in if I was a Gold member and could play online in quickplay with friends from here? And the DLC ... yeah, we get excited every Tuesday.

We have had more fun with this game (and more bang for my buck) than any other game I have ever bought.

Just my $.02.

Tym
07-14-2008, 06:52 PM
To be honest, coming from someone who lives an average of a half-hour away from girlfriend/friends, it's tough to justify my purchase of Rock Band. My gf and I were at a party where we played it and we both freaking loved it. I ended up buying it, played it online with our friend who owned it originally, and have only picked it up a few times since. This was 3 months ago. The gf & I played it occasionally since we started a band on her gamertag but lost interest fairly quickly.

All that rambling boils down to get it if you can guarantee you'll have 3-5 of your friends over frequently to play Rock Band. If so, you'll have a blast and love it. If that's a rarity, it doesn't hold up that well in single or 2-person play.

Of course, this is just my opinion but I wish I could have my money back, focus on GH3 and save Rock Band for when my friend has house parties.

APX
07-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Interesting, how common is this, and can they be replaced on store warranty or will it be a send away and wait thing?

Just want to get as much info I can before I go and throw 140 onto this game.

Well, the guitar doesn't break alot, but the one you have to worry about is the Drums, some of the pads lose sensitivity and you practicaly have to smack the crap out of it to even hit a note, and the pedal, being all plastic, breaks. People buy mods/steel pedals for the drums so they know they won't have to keep calling EA for a replacement. And i'm not sure a story warranty will replace it, since people in the USA call EA up and have them ship a new drum/guitar set.

BUT, if you wait when Rock Band 2 comes out, you could possibly import the instruments, since they will work for rock band. RB 2 is Harmonix's way of listening to the fans/community and fixing the main problems that everybody had, and they will deliever when it comes out. <333