PDA

View Full Version : 11 ways Fallout 3 will kick Oblivion's ass

Weapon 117
07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
To hell with elves and wizards! Living in a wasteland has it all over Cyrodiil, and here's why

Words: Mikel Reparaz, GamesRadar US

Fallout 3 is more than just a sequel to one of the most beloved PC RPG series ever - it's also a spiritual successor to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, probably the single most ginormous game of the current console generation. Created by Bethesda, the same developer behind that sprawling fantasy epic, Fallout 3 has some pretty huge shoes to fill - but judging by what we've seen so far, it took one look, scoffed and is currently at work on an even bigger pair.While it could be described as Oblivion with guns, Fallout 3 mutates that game's first-person RPG experience into something that - while its DNA is still recognizable as Oblivion's - is wholly distinct. In fact, the small chunk of Fallout 3 that we've played through so far essentially takes everything that was great about Oblivion and retools it into something better - here are 11 of the best examples we could find.

1. More voice actors

Oblivion had 13 credited actors on its voice cast, but you'd never know it from playing the thing. No matter which of the game's hundreds of inhabitants you talked to, they always sounded suspiciously like the same four or five people, with no effort whatsoever made to disguise their voices. That won't be a problem with Fallout 3, however, as the new game will have a much bigger pool of voice talent on which to draw. Bethesda's not saying exactly how much bigger, except that we can expect at least twice as many.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/megatonbar--article_image.jpg

More interestingly, Fallout 3 also features the voice of Malcolm MacDowell, a man who's not only endlessly entertaining to listen to, but was almost talented enough to make Tank Girl watchable. He'll be providing the voice of President John Henry Eden, and unlike, say, Patrick Stewart's here-then-gone turn in Oblivion, you'll hear quite a bit of MacDowell's voice throughout the game. As president of the Enclave, the tattered remnants of America's government, Eden frequently broadcasts fireside chats, which you'll be able to hear by tuning in to Enclave radio, or through the floating mechanical eyes that float aimlessly across the landscape.

Oh, and while we're on the topic of characters and how they're presented, it's worth pointing out that faces in Fallout 3 don't look like they were molded by pounding a lump of soft clay with a hammer. Well, maybe some of them do, but this time it's because they're horrible radioactive mutants.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/faces--article_image.jpg
From left: Your character's father in Fallout 3, and a pudgy muppet from Oblivion

2. Better gore

Despite (initially) being a T-rated game, Oblivion had some pretty decent gore effects, from blood splashes during combat to the dismembered corpses that decorated the walls of the game's creepier places. Fallout 3 blows that all out of the water, and while we've already seen its messy, exploding heads, our recent hands-on with the game revealed that the gore is actually much more elaborate.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/wastelandsupmutant--article_image.jpg
Above: The words you're searching for are "Oh," "hell" and "yes"

The most horrific chunksplosions only come with more powerful weaponry and the "Bloody Mess" perk, but even at the game's outset, you can leave some incredibly messed-up corpses in your wake. This is all thanks to the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (VATS), a key gameplay feature that slows down time to a near-stop and lets you easily draw a bead on specific body parts, complete with a percentage readout showing how likely you are to nail your chosen target.

By using VATS to carefully aim our pistols at the faces of a few marauding raiders in Mad Max-style fetish armor, we cleanly separated their heads from their bodies in a gruesomely cinematic slow-motion display. Our bullets actually sheared one woman's head off at mouth level instead of at her neck, which in slow motion is way, way nastier than any stupid green zombie with its fetid guts hanging out.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Headshot--article_image.jpg
Above: BPFFFFFSSHHHHHHHH

If quick decapitation kills aren't your thing, however, you're free to target other individual body parts, which again is made much easier through VATS. Line up your shot right, and you can blow off arms, cripple legs (which is especially useful if you're being chased and want your enemies to hobble instead of run) and rip your mutant attackers in half.

Oh, and if you're determined to be some kind of lame-ass good guy, you can directly target weapons instead of the blood-filled meatbags holding them. Just don't get too upset when these low-probability shots go wild, wing your targets and piss them the hell off.

3. Twice as much going on

When Oblivion was being developed for the then-unfinished Xbox 360 and PS3, its designers didn't really have a firm handle on either system's capabilities or limitations. So while Oblivion was a staggering achievement, it also came with a host of minor problems, and now looks a little dated just two years after release. That won't be the case with Fallout 3, which - according to Bethesda - crams twice as much stuff onscreen as Oblivion did. There's more detail, more characters and creatures and generally more of everything, and the difference is as evident as the difference between these two screens:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/TES4%20LandscapePS3--article_image.jpg
Above: A landscape from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Billboard--article_image.jpg
Above: A landscape from Fallout 3

What's more, one of Oblivion's most irritating features - the interstitial loads that would briefly freeze the game when you were just walking through the countryside - are a thing of the past. You'll still be treated to brief loading screens when you're entering a dungeon or similar structure, but you won't be jarred out of the experience every five minutes as the game loads up a new set of textures.

4. More interesting places to discover

Ask yourself: When you're wandering through a virtual wilderness, do you relish the idea of stumbling onto interchangeable holes in the ground with names like "Anutwyll" and "Felgageldt Cave?" Or would you rather discover distinct, realistic locations that actually have a credible reason for being there?

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Springvale--article_image.jpg

During our brief time playing Fallout 3, we deviated from the obvious path (screw you, town of Megaton) and wandered around until the game announced we'd found the bombed-out ruins of Springvale Elementary School. It was inhabited by a few aggressive raiders, of course, but what left a lasting impression on us was how much it looked like a bombed-out school, right down to the weathered little desks that some little kids probably ducked and covered under during the nuclear apocalypse centuries before.

The same level of detail was present when we wandered a little further and found the Super Duper Mart, a mostly intact supermarket complete with working vending machines (which dispensed radioactive drinks) and wrecked shopping carts. Unfortunately, it had also been taken over as a haven for vicious wasteland raiders, who'd hung the mutilated corpses of the last people to mess with them out in front of the place as a warning.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Schoolyard01--article_image.jpg

As we entered the market and systematically dismembered the raiders with hot lead, we marveled at how believable the place was - even through the wreckage, squalor and darkened gloom, the Super Duper Mart was laid out just like any supermarket we've ever been to. Yes, it's to be expected, even in a game with Fallout 3's scope - but it's still a hell of a lot more fun to explore the familiar-looking ruins of American civilization than it is to delve into yet another dungeon that's nearly identical to the last one.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/f/e3-08-11-ways-fallout-3-will-kick-oblivions-ass/a-2008071115264204043

Weapon 117
07-15-2008, 08:46 PM
5. Realistic lockpicking

For would-be thieves crawling through Oblivion's cities, lockpicking quickly became second nature. This was mainly because all you needed to do was bounce a series of tumblers until you heard a tell-tale sound, which told you when each one was ready to click into place. With Fallout 3, you won't have it so easy. No, this is a modern wasteland, filled with modern locks, and daintily bouncing cylinders up and down like a shrieking ballerina just isn't going to cut it anymore.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/feralghouloffice--article_image.jpg
Above: Oh man, just look at all the stuff you can unlock in this screen

Instead, you'll have to jam a screwdriver up in there before poking around inside it with a hairpin, all while (on the console versions, anyway) using the controller's vibrations as a guide for how well you're doing. Hit the right angles with the screwdriver and pin, and you'll pop the lock - but just like in Oblivion, lockpicks are fragile, and these will break if you're not careful. Still, though - at least now there's challenge to it.

6. Actual dialogue replaces conversation wheels.

Yeah, dialogue trees aren't a revolutionary way to converse with people in games, but they at least beat the hell out of just clicking on a list of conversation topics - or worse, manipulating a big wheel that forces you to joke with, boast to, coerce and flatter someone all in one brief "conversation."

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Dialogue--article_image.jpg
If nothing else, it's nice to be able to actually choose how you respond to another character, instead of just following a rote series of sterile questions.

7. Moral decisions actually carry weight and relevance

In Oblivion, your moral "choices" largely amounted to "do this task and get a reward" or "ignore this task and get nothing." While you could wander off and follow completely different plotlines for as long as you wanted, ultimately you didn't have any real effect on the game's plot - you just chose how you wanted to follow it.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/roadwalk--article_image.jpg
Above: Just walk away There's been too much violence. Just walk away

Fallout 3, meanwhile, will enable you to approach major events in different ways, and the choices you make will determine how they play out. In the early parts of the game, for example, a creepy guy named Burke will ask you to destroy the struggling little town of Megaton by detonating a dormant atomic bomb at its heart. You can do as he asks, report him to the authorities or try to kill him yourself. For that matter, you can kill just about anybody, depending on how much of a bastard you want to be. (Child-killing won't be a possibility, however, which probably comes as sad news for any longtime Fallout fans out there.) Just be prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions - life in the wasteland is harsh, and retribution is harsher.

8. Better drugs

While Oblivion's Skooma and booze would just addle you while exerting mild effects over your stats, Fallout 3's candy-colored array of drugs will play a major role in wasteland survival. Think of them as being like Oblivion's confusing array of potions, only with clearer effects and no need to mix them yourself.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/pipboystatus--article_image.jpg
Above: Enjoy those Stimpacks while they last - you'll have to rely on morphine soon enough

Ranging from painkillers to performance boosters, drugs can give you an edge incombat, temporarily increase your skills or just get you really high. Regardlessf their effects, though, approach them with care; if you use them too much, you'll become addicted, and a resource-starved nuclear hellhole is no place to develop a substance dependency.

9. Better dogs

This is the dog that follows you around in Oblivion's Shivering Isles expansion:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Skinned--article_image.jpg

And this is the dog that follows you around in Fallout 3:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/dogmeatscrapyard--article_image.jpg

(In case you're confused, being followed around by a dog that isn't dead is usually better, especially if you ever plan on sleeping. Also, the dog on the bottom will watch your back and scavenge items for you, while the dog on the top isn't good for much aside from creeping you the hell out.)

10. Nuclear catapults

In Oblivion, your projectile weapons were limited to simple bows and arrows of varying destructive capabilities. Oh, and magic spells, if you chose to become some kind of fruity wizard or whatever. Fallout 3, by contrast, gives you access to a broad variety of firearms, and the most impressive one we've seen is a handheld nuclear slingshot called the "Fat Man." Load up this baby, and you'll be able to launch tiny tactical nukes against your opponents, which produce huge explosions that you really don't want to stand too close to.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Nuke--article_image.jpg

So, yeah: primitive bows and arrows versus shoulder-mounted atomic frigging catapults. We'd say Fallout 3 is the clear winner here.

11. Hats

HOLY SHIT YOU CAN WEAR HATS INSTEAD OF JUST HELMETS NOW.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/F/Fallout%203/Everything%20Else/Vs%20Oblivion/Hats--article_image.jpg
THANK GOD.

Jul 15, 2008

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/f/e3-08-11-ways-fallout-3-will-kick-oblivions-ass/a-2008071115264204043 (http://www.gamesradar.com/f/e3-08-11-ways-fallout-3-will-kick-oblivions-ass/a-2008071115264204043)

What The Buck?
07-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Niiiiice.

This is a contender for GOTY!

laundryman
07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I hadn't heard much about this game but now...well I'm reserving this the next chance I get.

You Are Scum
07-16-2008, 04:08 AM
aw dont bash on oblivion, i love that game it was awesome, but fallout 3 will of course dominate.

seahn
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
yeah, i had planned on getting the shivering isles and knights of the nine expantions. or just the game of the year or whatever, but nah, il just wait and get fallout 3, which i had no idea until e3, that this game is going to be amazing

ColossalKiller7
07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Oblivion, when it was released, was a revolutionary game for the consoles. It had its flaws like any other game but did any other game register hundreds of hours of gameplay? No, I don't think so.

But Fallout 3 looks phenomenal. This looks like it may be the next Oblivion, meaning that this game will keep all of us active on it for hundreds of hours. And knowing Bethesda, there will be DLC.

Mother Beef
07-31-2008, 06:07 AM
Yeh i dont understand why people keep bagging oblivion, the game was epic and is still enjoyable today. And who cares the NPC's looked different and you found caves etc, it was a fantasy RPG not some modern one, its like saying "Oblivion is gay because it doesnt have guns" lol it's not meant to!.

But never the less i will buy(import,australian) Fallout 3 asap!!!!

A Satyr
07-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Good read.

steelefan15
08-03-2008, 10:59 PM
i didn't realize it was a competition. Anyway, it looks really awesome. HOLY SHIT! HATS!

Rutawitz
08-04-2008, 09:17 AM
when fallout 3 comes out my life will end

martdude16
08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Oblivion was wicked. If this game is anywhere near as gd as Oblivion then im happy. :)

alexsimms
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Last image... I didn't realize Chuck Norris made an appearance.

kodiack
08-20-2008, 04:36 AM
fallout will defiantly kick oblivion's ass

negitorotemaki1
08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
I just pray to the lord that they don't mess Fallout up somehow and that it'll still feel like a Fallout game.

Figgsy91
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
This is making Fallout 3 sound more and more delicious. I WANT IT NOW!. I really hated the original but I cannot wait to play this! GOTY ftw!!

Ultron18
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
this game looks amazing, so much better than 1 and 2

Netherhedgehog
09-01-2008, 05:09 PM
kewl. this game will kick ass :drunk

The Cripplers
09-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I liked Oblivion although there were many things I thought could be improved on. I'm looking forward to this more than I was to Oblivion. Just the atmosphere and story look much more interesting.

AK Punk
09-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Got some good points here. I'm really looking forward to this game.

paintinggrey
09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
this game looks amazing, so much better than 1 and 2

ha!!I highly dought that!!

Yemeth
09-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Epic thread!

Fallout 3 is the game im looking forward to most.

MrDudeMan
09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Holy Hell, this just got bumped up to my most anticipated game. This looks AWESOME.

Elfire313
09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
HATS! :p

I loved Oblivion but this game just may top it.

Lukeweizer
09-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Niiiiice.

This is a contender for GOTY!

You played it?

REDBEES
09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
You played it?
I'm thinking that he probably hasn't... have you played it? ...

but anyways oblivion was wicked, my buddy that just got a 360 a couple months ago just spent 300+ hours on it. Of course F3 is going to be alot better, it looks incredible, but you can't discredit oblivion because a game that the same company makes 2 years later is better, both will be great games in their own rights.

One thing I'd really like to see is a new leveling system that would allow me to not have to avoid leveling my majors at certain times, or choosing all skills that I wont use as majors.

ThrawnOmega
09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Entertaining read. I'm really looking forward to this game.

filmeister33
09-04-2008, 11:59 PM
i didnt really plan on getting this game... but if you can wear hats then im definetly buying it

SC Defective
09-07-2008, 06:53 AM
11 damn good reasons to get the game.

Lancer Evolution
09-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Lmfao at HATS!!! I didn't consider I was going to get Fallout 3, but now I might consider buying it. It looks really good especially the gory killing parts ;D.

David x360a
09-10-2008, 02:19 PM
This is a must buy for anyone with an Xbox360 and a brain. It's gonna kick ass along with Gears 2 come November.

LOL @ pudgy muppet from Oblivion :D But seriously, Oblivion is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Seemingly F3 will provide a similar, and probably even better one.

androsmere
09-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Oblivion was LIFE OWNING. For the time it took me to finish that game, I thought of nothing else.

I've never played a Fallout before, but from what I've seen this game looks awesome. I will definitely be getting this.

slimu5
09-12-2008, 06:05 AM
I wasn't really that excited for this game but after reading this I can't wait to get my hands on it.

G IR IE IE IN
09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Go HATS and DRUGS!!! :woop:

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Like others until reading this thread I was fairly sure in time, when I got the money as I have other things that need paying off first, that then I would buy this.

But now I cant wait!

Is there any chance of a #12? - Fallout 3 has good music? :D

This and Fable look awesome, I never really heard of Fallout + 2 etc but this looks awesome. I mucked up things in Oblivion and never really knew exactly what It was going to be like, but loved it and another game like it, looking amazingly better is awesome.

Note - Never played Fable either! But surely both contenders for GOTY.

Not sure whether this is for another thread, dont want to go off topic but, fans of both etc, what should I get first? Money is tight, having to pay for a Skii hol next year!

DeltaCoMMander8
09-18-2008, 04:52 AM
hey the drug thing, arent they getting rid of it cuz australia is retarded and... well retarded?

Pitbob27
09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
12. You start as a child
unlike in oblivion u start as the old fart in prison

Justicezero
09-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Def thinking GOTY, thanks for the great comparison post.

Ubermedic
09-25-2008, 05:14 AM
I don't know... I'm excited... but skeptical...
I've played every Fallout. 1, 2, Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, and the ill-fated Brotherhood of Steel for the PS2... I'm excited, and I want this to be the greatest Fallout every, But I hope it can live up to my post-apocalyptic wasteland dreams...

Wanstall99
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
fallout is more appealing to me but oblivion was ok, i just prefer guns nd nukes nd stuff :Bounce:

checkahh
10-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah me too, i didnt like oblivion, it was boring to me, such a big world and nothing really to do... but this game just looks awesome, maybe goty, a rpg with guns ayaa, great!!

Yemeth
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah me too, i didnt like oblivion, it was boring to me, such a big world and nothing really to do...

What?!?!?!

There are TOO many things to do, have you actually played the game? Maybe you werent playing it properly. :confused:

M85A21
10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
The hats thing made me laugh out loaud and people are staring lol.

Wollz
10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Damm im gonna get this before i get Fabel 2 now.

Inferno7000
10-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Sounds like they took alot from Fable 2, dogs, guns, your decision effects you more, and hats are all available there too but im sure Fable 2 will be much better. But I will probably check this one out too atleast renting it.

Inferno7000
10-12-2008, 03:36 AM
12. You start as a child
unlike in oblivion u start as the old fart in prison

I started out as a young girl looks around 18 on Oblivion. ;)

Tx J O K E R xT
10-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Oblivion, when it was released, was a revolutionary game for the consoles. It had its flaws like any other game but did any other game register hundreds of hours of gameplay? No, I don't think so.

i agree with this man .. u cant just go and say .. ooh yeah this game is way better than a 2 year old game .. .. oblivion was and still is a GREAT game

Yemeth
10-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Sounds like they took alot from Fable 2, dogs, guns, your decision effects you more, and hats are all available there too but im sure Fable 2 will be much better. But I will probably check this one out too atleast renting it.

What are you talking about???

Are you oblivious to the fact that there actually WAS a Fallout 1 and 2? Both had guns, dogs, decision effects (maybe not hats). So if anything, Fable took from them (which it didnt, because it would be naive to even start to think that one took from the other). 2 different games, no need to pit one against the other.

Personally, im sick of all these "forza is better than grid pwn n00b l0lz" type posts, there is such a thing as 2 different games. Its not hard to accept that.

Outline
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
I laughed so hard.
You obviously know exactly what you're talking about!

Chaosflare
10-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, I have to say... I'm buying this game just for the hats!

Actually, I reserved it shortly after the Eł, but we wont tell anyone that part ^^