PDA

View Full Version : Defending weak units

-equilibrium
07-20-2008, 04:18 AM
I've never played a civ game before. I'm usually more of an RTS kinida guy. BUt this game looked really nifty so I figured I'd give it try. The turn based, board game has taken some getting used to but I think I'm getting the hang of it (tough to be patient and wait ten turns for things!!)

Call me retarded but I can't figure out how to protect sensitive units on the map outside of the city. For example, when trying to move cannons to lay siege do I simply have to leave them a few spaces back and open with the more expendable units? This would seem lame. I'm much rather prefer to have the cannons open from range and then send in the ground troops.:uzi: Is there anyway to fight like this? Or do you just put everything on one big stack and hope for the best?

Thanks for the help.

MartiniKiss
07-20-2008, 04:47 AM
well all units might eventually get attacked at some point or another so i would just build an army (get three of the same unit together and hit Y)
and have them follow wearker units

-equilibrium
07-20-2008, 05:17 AM
That's pretty much what I've been doing. I guess the question is whether or not the concept of range exists in this game. For example, do I have to march cannons all the way to the doorway of a city or can I shell it from a hill top while it's flanked by support troops.

iskoot
07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
No range...it's all at the doorstep.

Tieg
07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
That's pretty much what I've been doing. I guess the question is whether or not the concept of range exists in this game. For example, do I have to march cannons all the way to the doorway of a city or can I shell it from a hill top while it's flanked by support troops.

Yup...just what the guy before me said....doorstep. Also, I don't march anything but an army. No individual units. If I have something that I think is going to attack my ranged weapons or legions who have shotty defense I have a army of archers to defend them. Noticed when I get attacked whatever unit has the higher defense defends first.

-equilibrium
07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Noticed when I get attacked whatever unit has the higher defense defends first.

That's kinda what I was thinking. So if I have weak defensive units (cannons and such) I should just keep that army on the same tile with other better defensive units. Got it thanks.

eXtreme 1138
07-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, when one or more unit is on the same square and that square gets attacked the unit with the highest defence will fight. So, for example, if you had catapults you will want to move them along with archers/pikemen square by square, so that the archers literally defend the catpults.

Le Smash
07-21-2008, 04:07 AM
Just make sure you don't send out something valuable without any defensive units with it and you're good to go.