PDA

View Full Version : Longest.game.ever

Facial La Fleur
07-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Well here I am at 2:30 this morning starting to go after my final victory of the Deity difficulty (domination) and finishing up at 10:15 in the evening. Yes you heard right. That is nearly 20 hours of playing straight on through to get what was apparently rather easy for everyone else. I must have done something really wrong but on the other hand must have been doing plenty right to last that long and not be dominated myself.

Basically here is the rundown of events leading up to what would almost become a stalemate. I started my city near mountains as usual (and this was a huge set of hills) and immediately changed over to Monarchy and built everything relating to culture. Next I build everything relating to production in my first city. Once I was able to build things quickly I made 3 sets of settlers and lined them up on all four points of the huge mountains. Right I away I did everything in those I had done in my capital. Once all four cities were finished with all that could be done I started creating extra Modern Infantry (5 armies per city) for defense cuz by this time other Civs were starting to mess with me.

Once all of my cities were well defended I began producing artillery armies to begin my invasions. The fiirst two capitals went real smooth and once I had them I made them just like my other cities. By this time I could have already won by culture or economic but since I was going for domination I obviously didn't build those wonders. This is when it really got bad. Somewhere in the early 2000's AD the years start counting by 2 per move and I had so many units and cities to manage that it literally took almost 10 minutes per move. Right about now is when it looks like two other Civs are catching up in the economic victory but they never do. It's just all out war for the next 15 hours and no matter how many units I have I just cannot penetrate their cities. Their culture and economies stay at a stand still the whole time while we just fight and re manage our units every 15 minutes.

Finally at 2425 AD the game ends and I have more culture, money, and capitals and I am declared the victor by domination. Achievements unlocked, but was it worth it? Hell no. I have such a migraine headache and though I have loved Civ ever since the first PC game, I don't think I will ever play on anything higher than King again.

Who else has had a nightmare gaming session like this with this game? Or any game, hell.

Denny Crane
07-20-2008, 07:32 AM
ouch thats brutal...

Tieg
07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Well here I am at 2:30 this morning starting to go after my final victory of the Deity difficulty (domination) and finishing up at 10:15 in the evening. Yes you heard right. That is nearly 20 hours of playing straight on through to get what was apparently rather easy for everyone else. I must have done something really wrong but on the other hand must have been doing plenty right to last that long and not be dominated myself.

Basically here is the rundown of events leading up to what would almost become a stalemate. I started my city near mountains as usual (and this was a huge set of hills) and immediately changed over to Monarchy and built everything relating to culture. Next I build everything relating to production in my first city. Once I was able to build things quickly I made 3 sets of settlers and lined them up on all four points of the huge mountains. Right I away I did everything in those I had done in my capital. Once all four cities were finished with all that could be done I started creating extra Modern Infantry (5 armies per city) for defense cuz by this time other Civs were starting to mess with me.

Once all of my cities were well defended I began producing artillery armies to begin my invasions. The fiirst two capitals went real smooth and once I had them I made them just like my other cities. By this time I could have already won by culture or economic but since I was going for domination I obviously didn't build those wonders. This is when it really got bad. Somewhere in the early 2000's AD the years start counting by 2 per move and I had so many units and cities to manage that it literally took almost 10 minutes per move. Right about now is when it looks like two other Civs are catching up in the economic victory but they never do. It's just all out war for the next 15 hours and no matter how many units I have I just cannot penetrate their cities. Their culture and economies stay at a stand still the whole time while we just fight and re manage our units every 15 minutes.

Finally at 2425 AD the game ends and I have more culture, money, and capitals and I am declared the victor by domination. Achievements unlocked, but was it worth it? Hell no. I have such a migraine headache and though I have loved Civ ever since the first PC game, I don't think I will ever play on anything higher than King again.

Who else has had a nightmare gaming session like this with this game? Or any game, hell.

yup that sounded painful but hats off for getting it. I did one long game, not as long as yours, going for a diety cultural win. Just prior to building the Nations wonder I saved and then after getting the win went back for the economic and then after that win reloaded and played a bit long but got my domination using the same save.

Anyhow good job.

Ted de Braak
07-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Doesn`t the game end at 2100 AD?

Facial La Fleur
07-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Doesn`t the game end at 2100 AD?

No. In the regular game it ends at 3000 AD if no one wins before then and in scenarios it's usually at 2425 AD. Trust me I wish it ended at 2100 AD. LoL

Le Smash
07-21-2008, 03:43 AM
It is 2100 AD, I didn't know about the 2425 for scenario, but on regular it is 2100 AD unless it was changed in the past 5 days.

My deity victories weren't as hard as yours though. I think each one took me an hour on normal mode for all deity victories.

shaneonoke
07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
ya ive always heard 2100 ad

Chud 360
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah it's 2100ad for sure. Why don't you guys just do the scenarios for the diety difficultys. It's much easier