PDA

View Full Version : Game ending in 5 turns?

Hkem
07-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to avoid this in a single player game? it's really frustrating when you want to get great people and you are getting 1500+ culture a turn.

A Satyr
07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Nope, always happens no way to turn it off, i wish you could...:(

-equilibrium
07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Man I hate that!! I can't understand why on earth they would've added such a rediculous roadblock to the game.

Chud 360
08-01-2008, 09:31 PM
if you're after the great people achievement, don't do it in a regular game. Start up a BETA CENTAURI scenario and farm culture that way. You have all the techs so just build temples, wonders etc. At least that's how i did it

MartiniKiss
08-01-2008, 09:48 PM
the beta centauri thing can only work for so long
i beat all civilizations on this scenario and noticed that i got almost all of the same great ppl everytime

kantizuni
08-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I hate to say things that imply that i'm better than everyone else, because I know i'm not. But...
Try changing your tactics. I only ever got the 5 turns message the very first game I played. Now I usually win WELL before then.
As someone mentioned, if you are having trouble, try the Beta Centauri scenario.

Chud 360
08-01-2008, 10:25 PM
the beta centauri thing can only work for so long
i beat all civilizations on this scenario and noticed that i got almost all of the same great ppl everytime

You may be correct, but when i needed 3 great people, they came up in a few playthroughs this way

IKnowItAll
08-01-2008, 11:27 PM
that really does my head in

G315T
08-02-2008, 01:57 PM
If you are consistantly having issues producing culture fast enough to get enough great people or cities for a Cultural Victory, it's probably that you aren't producing culture early enough. The general path you're taking for research might be too science/military/econ focused. If you've chosen to do a Cultural victory get the techs and buildings you need for it early rather than stacking up other stuff to support a late-game cultural push.

Also, if you produce culture late instead of early it's very possible that the game will run out of Great People to give you sometimes as early as 2000. There are only so many available and the other civs can earn them too.

I'm sure there are ways I could improve my game, but the way I'm playing now, it's apparent I'm going to win by at least 1800 AD, and I usually win on or around 2000 AD but never later than 2030. I play primarily on Emperor.

Edit: Also, don't forget that if you run out of time you win a Domination victory if you're ahead of the other people on the Domination points. Since the computers all tend to focus you, they're never going to have more than 1 capital. (I've played at least 50 games through to the end, and I don't recall ever seeing the computer take another computer's capital, on any difficulty.) If you get desperate in the last 50 turns, switch to military production and take over your closest neighboring capital.

Seraph Metatron
08-02-2008, 05:25 PM
What I found worked best was attack of the Huns scenario. It didn't stop the game from ending at some point, but it allowed for a little bit of a longer game than standard. Although the Beta Cent. method I still think is quicker.