PDA

View Full Version : Controller Problem

Gariom
08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
I have a serious problem with my 360 controller. Whenever the battery level drops below full it starts to disconnect on it's own. More and more frequently as the battery level decreases.

Does anybody have any tips on how to fix this or have you had this problem as well?

Tym
08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
So any time it goes to 3/4 bars after hitting the guide button it will disconnect? That's really weird. Are you using the rechargeable pack? Rechargeable batteries that are getting old?

This one's a stretch, but do you have any other RF transmitting devices nearby that could be interrupting the signal? (I was a ChemE major, not EE so bear with me).

Gariom
08-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes, when the guide points out there is 3/4 bars let, or less, it will randomly disconnect at times.

I'm fairly sure nothing is around to interrupt it. Although, something strange did happen before, a few days ago my friend brought his controller up to my house and it would not connect. He was using the rechargeable pack that had full batteries.

But I doubt there are any RF signals to mess with it as my Wii controller works fine. Unless that is miles away from a 360 controller.

MrPaypaChasa
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I have not had this problem but what kind of batteries do you use because my friend said he uses a store brand and the controller burnt right through them. Also that indicator is not always right.

Tym
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Try this --

Next to the slots for memory cards is the button for connecting wireless devices. Push that and then hold in the guide button on the ailing controller. That may "kickstart" the connection between your controller and console that could have been mucked about with your friend's.

Oh and be sure to turn off and turn back on your system first before trying it. Good luck.

Gariom
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I have not had this problem but what kind of batteries do you use because my friend said he uses a store brand and the controller burnt right through them. Also that indicator is not always right.

I use Energizer batteries. My friend suggested I use Duracell batteries but I couldn't find any around my house so I'll get some soon.

Try this --

Next to the slots for memory cards is the button for connecting wireless devices. Push that and then hold in the guide button on the ailing controller. That may "kickstart" the connection between your controller and console that could have been mucked about with your friend's.

Oh and be sure to turn off and turn back on your system first before trying it. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try this if it happens again. Which I can guarantee it will.

Tym
08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Also that indicator is not always right.

QFT. There have been many times when it showed full and then all of a sudden *poof* -- "Please reconnect your controller."

Gariom
08-07-2008, 05:01 PM
QFT. There have been many times when it showed full and then all of a sudden *poof* -- "Please reconnect your controller."

That's not my problem because I checked my batteries with my dad's battery tester (which is ALWAYS 100% accurate) and it matched what the guide was saying.

Artamus
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
CorkedChopper, spam much ?

I've had the controller problem before, but it started with showing as 50%, and then just kept disconnecting around every 10 minutes. As for the fix, i have no idea, it just didn't do it anymore from some point.

Gariom
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Well, I'm planning on buying a Play And Charge kit anyway, to keep the batteries full all the time.

Gariom
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Just buy a play and charge kit so that you can keep your controller plugged into your xbox.

Congrats on not noticing my post and giving me advice on something i just said I was going to do.

Chaosflare
08-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, I had a similar problem, as did my friend, and the Play 'n' Charge kit fixed it right away, never to have an issue again. Here's to hoping that you don't have any further problems! ^^

*blinks* Wow... I kept thinking that I'd previously posted in this thread, looking as CC is using my signature pic. >>;;

Gariom
08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, I had a similar problem, as did my friend, and the Play 'n' Charge kit fixed it right away, never to have an issue again. Here's to hoping that you don't have any further problems! ^^

*blinks* Wow... I kept thinking that I'd previously posted in this thread, looking as CC is using my signature pic. >>;;

Thanks for letting me know it works. I read somewhere though that someone left his Play and Charge kit plugged in for 2 days and it melted his battery. So I probably won't leave it plugged in all the time. Just when it starts to disconnect.

Chaosflare
08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for letting me know it works. I read somewhere though that someone left his Play and Charge kit plugged in for 2 days and it melted his battery. So I probably won't leave it plugged in all the time. Just when it starts to disconnect.
Well, it'll start flashing when you're left with 2/4 bars, so just plug it in around then. Either way, when it's done charging, the light will turn green. From there, you can either keep playing, or disconnect it; either wont do damage to the battery. However, if your system is turned off and it's still connected, it will still charge the battery, so I suggest disconnecting it at that point, especially if the battery is already charged, or if you plan to be away from the system for a substantial amount of time.

dm master
08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
just disconnect when the console is off (as chaos said) otherwise it will overcharge the batteries and that can cause some damange to the batteries and probebly the controller after (if the batteries melt etc)

but hope is fixes your problem

Tym
08-08-2008, 03:13 AM
just disconnect when the console is off (as chaos said) otherwise it will overcharge the batteries and that can cause some damange to the batteries and probebly the controller after (if the batteries melt etc)

but hope is fixes your problem

Ooof, I didn't realize that could happen. I spend the night at my gf's just about every night and I always have my controller plugged in. I should knock that off ASAP. Will it affect the entire controller or just the battery?

Gariom
08-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Ooof, I didn't realize that could happen. I spend the night at my gf's just about every night and I always have my controller plugged in. I should knock that off ASAP. Will it affect the entire controller or just the battery?

It's most likely going to affect just the batteries since they're the only things affected by the charger. But if they over charge and possibly break open then there is a good change your controller is going with them.

Pootcrum
08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Personally Id be getting the quick charge kit. The play and charge kit is a leak charger which means it very gradually charges batteries. This is not always good for them and usually reduces the lifetime. The quick charge kit charges both my battery packs in around an hour to full, and I easily then get 2-3 weeks of solid gaming time out of them.

Plus I hate having the play and charge cord dangling everywhere. Back in the day having a corded controller wouldnt have phased me but now Im used to the luxury I take it for granted.

blackflame0729
08-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Might be your batterys are coming out a bit. Tape down the battery pack and see if that works

Gariom
08-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Might be your batterys are coming out a bit. Tape down the battery pack and see if that works

My battery pack isn't coming out, it fits securely in there.

I tried the reconnection thing and it didn't work. So I'm going to buy a Play And Charge kit. The other charging kit costs like $60 whereas I can buy a P&C kit for $30.

Pootcrum
08-09-2008, 12:53 PM

I tried the reconnection thing and it didn't work. So I'm going to buy a Play And Charge kit. The other charging kit costs like $60 whereas I can buy a P&C kit for $30.

It costs more because it comes with a battery and is better, but whatever you want.

Chaosflare
08-09-2008, 01:09 PM

I'm guessing you don't live near a GameStop or EBGames, as they sell for $20 at those stores.

@ Tymrand: Sometimes, it can effect the controller itself, as the metal tabs that receive the electrical input sometimes loose the ability to do their job out of being polarized. Same thing happens with phones and MP3 players.

EDIT: @ Pootcrum: The Play n Charge kit also comes with a rechargeable battery.

Gariom
08-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing you don't live near a GameStop or EBGames, as they sell for $20 at those stores.

@ Tymrand: Sometimes, it can effect the controller itself, as the metal tabs that receive the electrical input sometimes loose the ability to do their job out of being polarized. Same thing happens with phones and MP3 players.

Actually I do live near EB Games. I've only check Wal-Mat though. But since I'm going to EB Games in an hour to buy GTA IV, I'll check the prices they have on the two charging kits while I'm there.

Chaosflare
08-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Actually I do live near EB Games. I've only check Wal-Mat though. But since I'm going to EB Games in an hour to buy GTA IV, I'll check the prices they have on the two charging kits while I'm there.
Actually, you can do one better. You can check the EBGames/GameStop website, find the item, put in your zip code, and they will tell you the price and if it is currently available at a store near you. ^^

EDIT: Here you go:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=40650

Gariom
08-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Actually, you can do one better. You can check the EBGames/GameStop website, find the item, put in your zip code, and they will tell you the price and if it is currently available at a store near you. ^^

EDIT: Here you go:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=40650

Well, since i live in Canada those prices won't be accurate. And the Canadian EB Games website is just awful. But I can only guess that US prices will be $10 less than what I'm paying here.

Chaosflare
08-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, since i live in Canada those prices won't be accurate. And the Canadian EB Games website is just awful. But I can only guess that US prices will be $10 less than what I'm paying here.
Ah. That's unfortunate. ._.;

Well, I hope you can find a good deal. ^^;

Pootcrum
08-10-2008, 01:58 AM

Quite right, my bad.