PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Foreplay on Vocals.

White Lama
08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, I have gotten through the whole Vocal career on expert now, and I'm stuck on the piece of **** Foreplay/Long Time by Boston. I get to around 85% and then the vocals just becomes retarded.

I've tried it about 10 times now and I always fail on the same part, I love the song, I know the lyrics in my head, but my voice just gets fubar after 80% or something, because I always fail there.

So I wonder if anyone has any tips or trick to use? Like to put your mic to the speaker (never done that, just heard that it might work) or changing some settings or something?

I don't like cheating, but that song is seriously getting on my nerves.

Figgsy91
08-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm stuck on this too. Any help?

Mr Arrow
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
... I get to around 85% and then the vocals just becomes retarded....

Do you mean they get hard or the game acts funny/glitches and they come out wrong?

Assuming the song is just hard, try this.

I have my mic sensitivity set to very low (as far left as it will go). To be honest I don't know if it really makes a difference but it works best for my singing style.

Save your "Star Power" (I know it's called something different but to me it'll always be Star Power) and use it just before the tricky section. If you use it too late it will not have time to kick in.

If I'm struggling on a song I try not to put too much emphasis on the any of the words. Coming in or ending strong can change the pitch enough to lose you points. You almost want to be monotone.

Hold the note as long as possible, all the way through the end of the on screen note. Stopping short will cost you valuable points / Star Power.

If you have to, hum or laaa or eeee the section. This only works on some sections but it can make the difference. When you hit the right pitch this is a life saver.

Control your breathing, drink water between songs and always stand when singing. I got a $25 mic stand and I use it all the time.

Finally, don't give up. I was stuck on (2) songs on the second to last expert tier for about a week. I busted them both out first time on my subsequent tries and finished the final expert tier easily after that.

Tekken
08-08-2008, 07:42 PM
When I sing that part, I definitely don't sing in the octave that the singer sings it (in fact that is what I do for the whole song). Try singing in the octave that is most comfortable to you if you don't already.

The above poster noted that his mic sensitivity is the lowest and that works for him. For me, I actually have mine on the highest and that works better for me. Try messing around with it and find your sweet spot.

TwistedFate
08-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Sing falsetto. It's helps you keep your breathing right and is easier to match pitch.

Other than that and the other tips given, hold on and pray. Brad Delp goes nuts on the vocals there and it's hard for almost everybody.

sharonoagain
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, the "freestyle" section tripped me up for a LONG time, and I grew up singing that album. The problem is he has an amazing range (must be like 3+ octaves) and he likes to use every bit of it. All I can suggest is to listen carefully to that part in practice mode because he does some things that you don't expect. You may also want to master the song in Hard (like close to 100%, especially the end) before tackling it in Expert again. I find if I can 100% it in Hard, I can get at least 90% in Expert the next time through.

Good luck!

Tenacious
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Save your "Star Power" (I know it's called something different but to me it'll always be Star Power)
I thought I was the only one :D

but yeah, Mr Arrow gave some good tips ^^

bewarethefoopa
08-09-2008, 07:05 PM
do you all actually sing the words lol? all i do i put to mic like right up to my lips and hum to sounds/notes and i've managed 100%'s in world tour on expert. i need to try the solo tour for those achievements soon

KFZ Scrubs
08-14-2008, 10:51 AM
do you all actually sing the words lol? all i do i put to mic like right up to my lips and hum to sounds/notes and i've managed 100%'s in world tour on expert. i need to try the solo tour for those achievements soon
He's right, you don't have to sing the song. I can't sing for shoot but i hum like an angel :). If you know the song really well just hum the song into the mic and presto you win

xCOBRAx
08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
ugg if i didnt wanna make this really quick i.e. see posting time heres what ive got to add as i had a really hard time with this song even after 4 years of choir.

@ mr. arrow, good advice, i completely agree about mic sensitivity. if you hold the mic so close to your mouth that often times your lips are touching it, then you need to have ur sensitivity very low, i leave mine at just one click up from the bottom.

OVERDRIVE(i know old habbits die hard arrow but lets get it together ;) ). again good advice, but what i would recommend to this person is basically save ur energy for this part, then find a phrase or two that you can hit either "good" or "awesome" during an overdrive phrase either one of those will take u from the lowest point of failing all the way to the top. if u can do that you will make the end of the song no problem.

@twisted, damn man i need to hear you sing because singing in falsetto is hard. personally i find it to take more lung capacity and find it harder, but hey man if your good at it, then more power to you cuz thats damn impressive.

@sharon, you think this guys range is impressive how about killswitch? i mean i swear that guy goes from like a low baritone to a first tenor like its nobodies business. im having one hell of a time singing my curse. but your right in this song the chorus line of the song is for sure sung in a first tenor maybe 2nd saprano but its a little low. when he is doing the freestyle thats the middle to upper baritone part and it makes it hard. especially the phrase "oh were gonna get on home, dont stop uhhhh just get on home" that one kills me every time.

and finally @ well i dont know what the hell ur name is even supposed to mean, while your advice is generally spot on, with this song i just feel like you will have a lot easier time learning the different pitches if u also know the words

sharonoagain
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Cobra, you're right about Killswitch Engage ... that guy has a HUGE, amazing voice. I'm looking forward to downloading it when I get my 360 back.

LOL, the same phrase that trips you up gets me every time, too! I keep thinking I know it but I just can't seem to find it. Sometimes I do better if I close my eyes and just sing rather than watch the gauge ... if I start going off, I try to "fix" my pitch and usually mess myself up more. :p

Deadly14u
08-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I had a hard time with this song too.. just keep practicing, and try to nail every overdrive phrase so you can use it right before 80%, its what I had to do, and luckily passed it

TwistedFate
08-14-2008, 09:06 PM
@twisted, damn man i need to hear you sing because singing in falsetto is hard. personally i find it to take more lung capacity and find it harder, but hey man if your good at it, then more power to you cuz thats damn impressive.

Then you are doing it wrong. Sounds like you are trying to force it out instead of letting it flow. Falsetto should be easier, and require less breath than your normal voice. I can generally hold a falsetto note significantly longer than it's normal cousin.

xCOBRAx
08-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Then you are doing it wrong. Sounds like you are trying to force it out instead of letting it flow. Falsetto should be easier, and require less breath than your normal voice. I can generally hold a falsetto note significantly longer than it's normal cousin.

well i suppose your right, i guess my problem is that i sing loud...i spent 4 years in choir and suffice it to say i can belt it out. the other problem i have is that i have a pretty big range (still struggling w/ killswitch but ill totally get it) before i started smoking i could sing male sprano and im slowly learning that's not possible anymore (plus that was 7 years ago lol) and so when i switch into falsetto im usually half out of breath. if i know that im going to using falsetto then yeah its usually no problem just when i gotta switch halfway thru. but i still find not singing in it much easier heh

blackjw23
08-15-2008, 07:06 AM
This song is by far the hardest song, but you just need to keep trying to get it, the freestyling he does at the end is wicked hard

Regarding the sensitivity, the higher the sensitivity the farther away from the mic you should be, if you have the mic right next to your mouth use the lowest sensitivity otherwise it will be distorted. Also another thing is I play my game really loud, as loud as my Tv will go so I lower my sensitivity so that it doesn't pick up the TV so much.

This song took me like 20 tries so keep going. At least we don't have to sit through Foreplay

XVx KILL SWITCH
08-17-2008, 01:20 AM
ugg if i didnt wanna make this really quick i.e. see posting time heres what ive got to add as i had a really hard time with this song even after 4 years of choir.

@ mr. arrow, good advice, i completely agree about mic sensitivity. if you hold the mic so close to your mouth that often times your lips are touching it, then you need to have ur sensitivity very low, i leave mine at just one click up from the bottom.

OVERDRIVE(i know old habbits die hard arrow but lets get it together ;) ). again good advice, but what i would recommend to this person is basically save ur energy for this part, then find a phrase or two that you can hit either "good" or "awesome" during an overdrive phrase either one of those will take u from the lowest point of failing all the way to the top. if u can do that you will make the end of the song no problem.

@sharon, you think this guys range is impressive how about killswitch? i mean i swear that guy goes from like a low baritone to a first tenor like its nobodies business. im having one hell of a time singing my curse. but your right in this song the chorus line of the song is for sure sung in a first tenor maybe 2nd saprano but its a little low. when he is doing the freestyle thats the middle to upper baritone part and it makes it hard. especially the phrase "oh were gonna get on home, dont stop uhhhh just get on home" that one kills me every time.

and finally @ well i dont know what the hell ur name is even supposed to mean, while your advice is generally spot on, with this song i just feel like you will have a lot easier time learning the different pitches if u also know the words
thanks for the comlipment;)

iTz a Ninja
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
the piece of **** Foreplay/Long Time by Boston.

The peice of what? Brad Delp is turning in his grave right now. You don't deserve to hear the awesomeness that is BOSTON.

bradfordjohnson
11-29-2009, 09:55 PM
I realize this is a long time (literally no pun intended) from the original question but I just got Virtuoso with the following video on youtube:
YouTube- Foreplay/Longtime [Rock Band 2] 100% Expert Vocals

Spade422
01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
i dont care what any other person will say, but the best way to pass a vocals song if you are having trouble is to go to youtube, find a "full combo" of the song you are trying to beat, and when you get to the hard part, pause your game, play the video, get the pitch in your head, and then pause in the next phrase, ect.

if you are not tone death (which im sure youre not, based on how you made it that far in the career) you will pass this song almost garenteed first try.

aspieryan
04-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Well, I have gotten through the whole Vocal career on expert now, and I'm stuck on the piece of **** Foreplay/Long Time by Boston. I get to around 85% and then the vocals just becomes retarded.

I've tried it about 10 times now and I always fail on the same part, I love the song, I know the lyrics in my head, but my voice just gets fubar after 80% or something, because I always fail there.

So I wonder if anyone has any tips or trick to use? Like to put your mic to the speaker (never done that, just heard that it might work) or changing some settings or something?

I don't like cheating, but that song is seriously getting on my nerves.

the easiest way is to not fully sing that bit i go monotonic into a voice i know will hit it the lines are near enough together i may increase/ decrease in volume according to pitch and if singer ussualy dos for example those oh you know i wanna get on home im very deep but hit it through this way quite easy it still is hardish due to knowing what volume but this way only took two attempts ;)

if you want to contact me send mesg to my gtag BLOODS EMBRACE or send mesg to ryangrant1993@live.co.uk i can sing pretty much all songs on ghs and rbs on expert and can help with other games i have about 55000 in score

SpectruM
05-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Anybody still having trouble with this song, put your mic up to your computer speakers and play this:

http://billtvshow.com/youtube/SH_Community_Vox_Project_FPLT_FC_Attempt_Audio.mp3

The singing starts half a second after 0:05, so pause it there and sync up with your game. Not only will you pass it, you will most likely 100% it too. :P