PDA

View Full Version : Xbox will Limit Avatar Use, Microsoft Says

nightmare975
08-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Microsoft has provided a few more details (http://www.developmag.com/news/30277/360-Avatars-can-only-be-used-in-non-violent-titles) on its new Xbox Live Avatar system, including how developers will be able to use them in-game, and how many avatars each Xbox 360 owner will be able to have on their consoles.
Avatars will be made available only for in-game play on ESRB E10+ titles, said Xbox Live GM Eric Kilgore. And, unlike Nintendo's Mii system, the Microsoft avatars will be one per system, at least for now.
"We are still developing the final policies," he said, adding that "The final guide we have this year is to think of them in an 'E10' context. That doesn't mean it won't change - but this Fall they won't be able to blow each other's heads off," he said.
As for players having a collection of Avatars, a la the Wii, Kilgore said, "the answer is a mixed one. From a user profile perspective you have one avatar for one profile. You can change your avatar whenever you want but if you want a new avatar you need a new profile."
Kilgore also said the avatar process is a work in progress, with future changes possible after the fall.

source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/149640/xbox_will_limit_avatar_use_microsoft_says.html

Mr. Writer
08-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Hmmmm, this is still going to be awesome.

08-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Great find could be interesting. Not to sure the in-game will work but thanks for the heads up.

Deadly Moves
08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I want to have loads of Avatars like the Wii has.. Not just 1 per profile

Mr. Writer
08-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Me and Deadly Moves were gonna start an army and they went and ruined everything.

Deadly Moves
08-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Me and Deadly Moves were gonna start an army and they went and ruined everything.
Sssshh.. Dont give away are our plans ;)

plumbpist
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I cant wait for the dashboard update, specifically the Netflix stuff, but I really wish the avatars would just go away. I kknow that they wont (yet) but hopefully they are just a small thing that is easily ignored by those of us who are not happy with the decision to include them...

Mr. Writer
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Sssshh.. Dont give away are our plans ;)
Ughh... erm what plans? ;)

ColossalKiller7
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
They should limit the avatars to Viva Pinata only.

dm master
08-09-2008, 10:39 PM
They should limit the avatars to Viva Pinata only.

lol :)

i want an FPS where these are used it would be so cool to shoot something that actully looks a little like your buddy in the head :)

they could make it gears style headshot :)

Chaosflare
08-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I actually like the limitation, as it just makes each one just that little bit more special. Gives you that attachment to your Avatar.

DCS 23
08-09-2008, 10:53 PM
I want to have loads of Avatars like the Wii has.. Not just 1 per profile
Why whats the point?

A Satyr
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I lost all interest in these when they said "No Guns or Weapons of any kind" Fuck you then...

Deadly Moves
08-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Why whats the point?
So i could make my friends, family and famous people.. instead of just me

True I Skill
08-09-2008, 10:59 PM
I lost all interest in these when they said "No Guns or Weapons of any kind" Fuck you then...

Damn, I didnt know that.. Guess this is gonna suck then.

Ryan2099
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Still dont see why thet wanna fix something that isn't broken.:(

Deadly Moves
08-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Still dont see why thet wanna fix something that isn't broken.:(
Bcos there not trying to 'fix' it. there trying to improve it...
Windows 2000 wasnt broken, but they improved on it with window xp...

The human race would probably still be like caveman if we didnt try and improve on anything.

Chaosflare
08-09-2008, 11:13 PM

The human race would probably still be like caveman if we didnt try and improve on anything.
Ironically, the human race would be like... avatars.

x_x

Tactful
08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not too bothered about the whole avatar business... Seems like Xbox is robbing a little off the Wii's Miis/PS3 home. Mabye it's payback for Sony's 'new' "trophies"!

EvilestBean
08-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I cant wait for this, im looking forward to it. I dont get what people mean when they say "no guns or weapons" does this mean you can use avatars in games like gears how would that work?
sorry for the silly questions but i havent read up on it much all i know is when we are getting the update and the fact that they are avatars lol.

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 12:32 AM
If there are no guns or weapons of any kind there better be camo, and a ghillie suits and war paint and some cool shit to equal out the gayness of just having an avatar.

ravensfanyuya
08-10-2008, 06:37 AM

windows xp wasnt broken and they tried to improve it with vista and now look wat happened

drno
08-10-2008, 06:48 AM
windows xp wasnt broken and they tried to improve it with vista and now look wat happened
I like Vista personally... I honestly don't know why there's so much negativity towards Vista, for me it runs multiple applications smoothly and is easy to adjust to from a iBook.

As for the avatars I can't wait for them myself, I don't know why people bash on those either. The customization looks to be pretty fierce and I'd rather have even a poorly made avatar than a 10x10 pixel picture for a gamerpic.
I totally stoked for this update.

pwjuggalo
08-10-2008, 06:56 AM
i cant wait for this to come cause i am excited to see what they do with it and how developers work them into their games

xENVxGAMERSKREW
08-10-2008, 07:50 AM
at first ill tinker with it to see the limits of em then ill ignore them like my ex lol

Xilynx
08-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I didn't think these 'avatars' were that cool the first time I played around with them on Wii. Just another example of what Microsoft does best, steals somebody else's ideas and calls it something else. Atta boy.

Ruthless
08-10-2008, 10:23 AM
No guns = Gay
1 per profile = Why would you have more? Makes sense
War paint, ghilie suit = Awesome idea

My personal preference would be to have a zombie avatar that looks a little like me. I would want a minimum of 200 different heads, bodies, clothes etc...

I feel this idea will fail but i was optomistic at first but no guns is a very very bad idea. Could be a great idea if they put me incharge...

EDIT : 'the Microsoft avatars will be one per system, at least for now.' - Ok wtf does this mean? I have 3 systems and me and my gf both have gold accounts and i have a couple of silvers also. I think they mean one per GT, well atleast i hope so

Artamus
08-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Vista is a great improvement, ravensfan.
As for no guns or weapons. SUCKS! I was so hoping for a COG suit and a lancer.

DJbruce
08-10-2008, 10:39 AM
1 per 360 ? What about me and my brother :confused:. We both have sepate profiles but share the same 360 (Well its mine but he uses it too).

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 03:41 PM
All we can really hope for now is for the Mii's or avatars to look realistic instead of a cartoon. They better have customizable tshirts and you can bet your asses that there will be DLC for these gay avatars. Like Guitar Hero avatar, comes with GH3 tshirt and guitar.

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 03:46 PM
they will be completley cool if they release limit edition stuff like say a darth vader outfit only 1000 in each regoin that would be awesome

Artamus
08-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Fawkes, do you mean like the 1000 first people could BUY it ?

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 04:07 PM
If they make DLC for the Avatars they better be free.

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Fawkes, do you mean like the 1000 first people could BUY it ?

yeh thats what i mean that would b cool

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 04:17 PM
If they make DLC for the Avatars they better be free.

sorry for double post cudnt work out how to get two quotes in lol

its been confirmed its free but some customization options will cost

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 04:21 PM
yeh thats what i mean that would b cool

That Darth Vader idea would be cool. I bet Microsoft is going to make alot more money on avatars than gamer pics.

But about the double post: instead of doing that click multi on for one then quote for the second post you want to.

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM

How much?Cause I ain't spending too much for new Clothles

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
How much?Cause I ain't spending too much for new Clothles
I don't think that information is available yet. But my guess is it will be the prices of gamer pictures if there is a price.

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't think that information is available yet. But my guess is it will be the prices of gamer pictures if there is a price.

i guess it wuld depend on the item tbh standard stuff gona cost the same as gamerpics special stuff more

there will be free stuff to microsoft are gonna make a mint off advertising i.e t-shirts for upcoming films and games there is now more ways to get their products out there

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 06:10 PM
We should also get Items Free with games we buy.

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 06:13 PM
i guess it wuld depend on the item tbh standard stuff gona cost the same as gamerpics special stuff more

there will be free stuff to microsoft are gonna make a mint off advertising i.e t-shirts for upcoming films and games there is now more ways to get their products out there
Watch Microsoft charge for socks. Those Bastards.

I hope I can dress my guy like a hockey player, or a fisherman or as Kenny from South Park/

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Watch Microsoft charge for socks. Those Bastards.

I hope I can dress my guy like a hockey player, or a fisherman or as Kenny from South Park/

LMAO I know I wouldn't buy Socks,you could hardly see them.But being able to dress our Avatar's as people from South Park would be Sick.

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 06:19 PM
LMAO I know I wouldn't buy Socks,you could hardly see them.But being able to dress our Avatar's as people from South Park would be Sick.

south park sucks

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
south park sucks

How can you say that?It's one of the Funnyiest things on TV.

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 06:31 PM

some things are quite funny i.e token

Artamus
08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
How can he say that ? He just did, that's how :p.
If they're going to charge for socks also then i'm only going to buy a COG suit ( if available ).

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
some things are quite funny i.e token

Why did you say it sucks then?

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Why did you say it sucks then?

it sucks its rude and offensive and family guy etc is much funnier

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 07:07 PM
it sucks its rude and offensive and family guy etc is much funnier

Well I guess that's your Opinion.

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Well I guess that's your Opinion.

yeh its just my opinion other ppl i know luv it i like the movie pretty funny

Heroine923
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
yeh its just my opinion other ppl i know luv it i like the movie pretty funny

I just noticed we have made this Thread go Off Topic:(

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I just noticed we have made this Thread go Off Topic:(

good point i reckon that sports teams could get in on the action and release their kits for you to wear

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
How can he say that ? He just did, that's how :p.
If they're going to charge for socks also then i'm only going to buy a COG suit ( if available ).
A COG suit! That would be awesome. How about Oblivion Armor, Assassin's Creed Cape. The possibilities!

Groundogg
08-10-2008, 10:10 PM
It would be cool if certain achievements gave you clothes. For example, getting 'Seriously' on GoW would get you a COG suit, and completing MHC on Veteran would get you a Cpt. Price suit, or Ghillie suit.

One per console sucks, I suppose it limits the amount of mini Hitlers floating around in cyber space though.

Artamus
08-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Groundogg, i believe i've seen someone mention the cheevs unlock costumes ( I think it was Major Nelson ).
But i'm going to protest against 1 per console, i do want to have a say in what my avatar looks like ( console shared with brother ).

Groundogg
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Groundogg, i believe i've seen someone mention the cheevs unlock costumes ( I think it was Major Nelson ).
But i'm going to protest against 1 per console, i do want to have a say in what my avatar looks like ( console shared with brother ).

Wow, cool. That was unexpected. Usually I think up all kinds of crap that could be implemented into a game, or system, and find that they're not. Thanks. :D

Artamus
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, but take this with a grain of salt. I might totally be wrong.

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
It would be cool if certain achievements gave you clothes. For example, getting 'Seriously' on GoW would get you a COG suit, and completing MHC on Veteran would get you a Cpt. Price suit, or Ghillie suit.

One per console sucks, I suppose it limits the amount of mini Hitlers floating around in cyber space though.
I like that idea. Exclusive suits for achievements is a cool idea. But who knows, the avatars may only have like shirts and pants like Mii's, hopefully not.

Chaosflare
08-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I just wanna splice Nightmare with the Gordon's Fisherman. An avatar of that caliber would be amazing.